PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy your games?

afilter
01-09-2010, 10:59
I tend to try and support any local game stores in our area so they will stay around. When looking for a single item or small purchase I always buy local. When considering a larger purchase I do have a couple of favorite online vendors that I support. In this economy with savings of 30-40% or more available online it just makes sense.

Here is a thread for recommended online vendors:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=782

What do you do?

Oberst Hajj
01-09-2010, 13:28
The only time I will not buy at my LGS is if they can not get it for me.

Grinneth42
01-09-2010, 14:13
I live in one of those places that the LGS is the only one in the area... and boy do they let you know that.The prices aren't very good, and they almost never have anything new that I would be interested in. When I asked about ordering something, I was brushed off with a 'we already get everything that the distributor has...' Seriously! So, amazingly enough, I buy 90-95% online.

Roger Wilco
01-09-2010, 14:49
My LGS is rubbish, its all Games Workshop and chess sets with a reluctance for owner to go outside his comfort zone, not worth supporting really. I do all my shopping on line either direct from worldwide online stores or via Ebay. In the case of WoW stuff the local distributers retail markup in Australia is far too high, I can save upto 50% including postage by buying direct from US Ebay stores, I get the item in my hand 5 to 7 days after I pay for it. I also get hold of new releases within a few weeks of release dates rather than waiting a few months.

IRM
01-09-2010, 22:00
I bought the box sets and about half my models from 2 LGSs in Glasgow. The rest I picked up online since both shops have had trouble getting in new WoW releases and replenishing stock and only usually get in one of each colour scheme anyway. Nevertheless, I prefer using the LGSs as I like to get a look at the models before buying (I've had a few with badly misplaced decals and a few with damage) but the prices steer me towards online stores (WW1 fighters jumped from about £7 to about £11) since I can pick up models for almost half price in some cases. Very useful when I was wanting 8 planes for repainting.
http://www.boardgameclub.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=92_613

Belis4rius
01-10-2010, 02:26
Here in the UK all LGS have mainly died out and have been replaced by GW or similar outlets, there never were a great many and tended to be in large cities. Mail order was the usual way to get stuff.

There was one in Scotland, I shall refrain from naming the establishment, which was infamous, the owner opened when he felt like it. So I would get up early, make a train journey only to find it closed. When he was open if I wanted ten of something he had eight or had just sold the last one, or they were on order, never to appear due to transport problems or some such excuse. I once purchased some Swiss only to find years later small piles of grey dust in amongst serried ranks of pikemen, he had been making his own and fobbing them off as originals, the metal was rubbish. The shop drew me like a moth, but I bought hardly anything in over 30 years.

And, believe it or not, he is still there, not in the same shop but nearby, his window display never having changed.

Thank god for the internet.

I did once make it to The Emperor's thingy in Chicago a long time ago, and was blown away, what a mecca for wargamers that was.

SoldierSteve
01-10-2010, 04:13
Where I live there is only one LGS and when I went in and asked about WoW the proprieter said he had never heard of it. I got my first set from a shop in Aldershot UK whilst staying there recently with a friend, and they had a good selection but are too far away from me for regular use. Even if there were any more local shops on the near mainland to me the cost of getting to them would be too prohibitive as a return foot passenger ticket off the island would be more than the cost of a miniature. So for me it has to be the internet.

I have already ordered some stuff from a site called Games Lore. They had the best prices I could find even after taking P&P into account. Unfortunately the stuff hasn't arrived yet but as we have had no mail now for nearly a week due to the snow it is probably awaiting delivery.:(

Pseudotheist
01-10-2010, 08:47
Here in the UK all LGS have mainly died out and have been replaced by GW or similar outlets,
And this is why I buy from my friendly local game store (and I should emphasize "friendly"; they're family owned and service oriented, with weekly open gaming nights and specific game events many other evenings). Though when I can get way with it, I'm fairly unapologetic about waiting for one of their 10% discounts. I figure I make the effort to buy all of my Wings of War stuff through them, when we all know I can get them cheaper on-line; they can slip me a little discount every now and then...

afilter
01-10-2010, 09:03
I figure I make the effort to buy all of my Wings of War stuff through them, when we all know I can get them cheaper on-line; they can slip me a little discount every now and then...

Good point the two LGS I primarily support both offer me a 10% discount on all purchases. ;)

One has a club which I belong two which also provides a instore credit when you purchase x amount and the other because I have been a customer for over 15 years.

Greywolf
01-10-2010, 19:20
I mainly buy from a U.S distributor as the stores in New Zealand have limited range are expensive.

cheers
GW

Roger Wilco
01-10-2010, 22:05
I mainly buy from a U.S distributor as the stores in New Zealand have limited range are expensive.

cheers
GW

How much are you paying for one WoW model?

The Blue Baron
01-11-2010, 01:24
I buy in my LGS most of the time but if internet prices are to good I occasionaly order online, too.

Scoop
01-11-2010, 09:31
I try to balance my orders - my local game store hosts the campaign we're playing, the owner is a good friend of mine and we are both in a gaming club. The store is also the first contact for future members of the club. Therefore I think it is really important to support the shop. But I'm also tempted now and then by good online discounts. I also play lots of other games and especially the German RPGs have a fixed price by law (books), so I order these at the store. The store is not just a selling point but a social place for lots of gamers, so my town definitely needs this place.

Greywolf
01-11-2010, 09:38
How much are you paying for one WoW model?

I can get them in for around $21NZD [single seaters] and $24NZD [two-seaters]. This can drop a little depending on how many planes the order has. [eg the more planes the bigger the discount is.] I have bought planes into NZ and also sent some to Oz for my mates as well.

Most of the companies here sell them from $24-$26NZD for the single seaters and $27-$30NZD for the two-seaters.
Box sets are between $55NZD to $70NZD depends on which box set you want. [I can get the box sets for around $49-$55NZD]

Cheers
GW

Bixby
01-11-2010, 09:51
My local game store has been awesome. I give him a list of what I would like and he gets it in for me. He is reasonable with his pricing and a great guy to deal with. He is a member of our Wings of War League, Our Poker Club, and our Formula De League. He is in touch with games and enjoys playing them. One of the ingredients to running a successful store in my opinion.

Roger Wilco
01-11-2010, 12:17
I can get them in for around $21NZD [single seaters] and $24NZD [two-seaters]. This can drop a little depending on how many planes the order has. [eg the more planes the bigger the discount is.] I have bought planes into NZ and also sent some to Oz for my mates as well.

Most of the companies here sell them from $24-$26NZD for the single seaters and $27-$30NZD for the two-seaters.
Box sets are between $55NZD to $70NZD depends on which box set you want. [I can get the box sets for around $49-$55NZD]

Cheers
GW

Gosh thats expensive!

There are two (well known) companies in Aus that distribute WoW and both are too expensive for retailers to sell for a reasonable price and a 2 seater can cost $25Aus, which is a joke as they are only about $10-$11US.

Do you have an E-Bay and PayPal account?

I can recommend 2 excellent and cheap US Ebay sellers with very low postage and handling costs but you need to buy 4-6 models at a time to keep the postage per unit cost negligable.

With WoW Series 4 (6 singles and 6 two seaters) just around the corner, I am considering buying the entire set at once which will work out to close to $12US a plane including the postage.

IRM
01-11-2010, 13:39
$10-$11 :mad: They cost £11-£13 in shops over here !

CappyTom
01-11-2010, 19:14
I live about an hour from my hobby store. I go up every other weekend. I buy from them if they have it or can get it. If not then I look on-line. This gives us a place to play and meet new gamers as well helping the local economy.

Tom

Rum Demon
01-12-2010, 10:01
There's nothing like the feeling of walking into a good gaming store. I can waste hours poring over racks of miniatures and inspecting all the games in their heavy boxes. I try and treat myself to a trip at least once every few months with the promise of buying something, be it a pair of new planes or a board game. I try and buy games for friends and family as gifts, just to get an excuse to go down to the local store.

I feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

Of course, if your LGS is run by jerks... buy online.

-Joe

Oberst Hajj
01-12-2010, 10:08
I'm feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

-Joe

I could not have said it better my self! If you have a good local game store, support them to the bitter end. If you have a bad local game store, make it a point to go in and talk to them and help make them into a good store. The returns on your gaming experiences will be well worth it.

Scoop
01-12-2010, 10:24
Well spoken, Demon.

Bixby
01-12-2010, 11:02
I'm feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

-Joe

Here! Here! Buy that man a drink.

afilter
01-12-2010, 11:30
There's nothing like the feeling of walking into a good gaming store. I can waste hours poring over racks of miniatures and inspecting all the games in their heavy boxes. I try and treat myself to a trip at least once every few months with the promise of buying something, be it a pair of new planes or a board game. I try and buy games for friends and family as gifts, just to get an excuse to go down to the local store.

-Joe

OK, I will play devil's advocate on this one. I fully understand your points and do agree with them. Your reasons are the only reason I buy at all from our LGS. They host a weekly SWM night which my son enjoys. I also have attempted to host several historical game events there, but without much support. The store is primarily interested in supporting the fantasy and Magic crowd with sponsored events.

I buy from them because I want them to stay and be an option for a quick impulse buy of $50 or less. I belong to a $15/yr club that gives me 10% off and $10 store credit for every $200 I spend. I get the $10 credit a few times a year.

I am also involved in CMG specifically Axis and Allies and War at Sea.
I have an online vendor that will sell be a case for $95-110 depending on the product that would retail for $180/case. I approached the LGS about getting a case discount and the best they will do is the 10% I already get for being a member of the discount club I pay for annually. So, when it comes to a game that they do not support my loyalty will go to my wallet first considering I usually buy 1-2 cases when a new product is released. That is a difference of $120-130 per purchase. I do not expect them to give me the online price, but meeting me part way would be nice.

If the LGS showed more support to the games I enjoy then yes I would suck it up and pay the extra. As it is by me sponsoring games there(which they profit off of in sales) and splitting about 50% of my purchases I fell I am doing more than many to support the local guy. I am the only reason they even stock certain products.

I wish I had an LGS that supported my games more...as it is the majority of my gaming is done at home.

razide
01-12-2010, 15:53
I've bought most of my WoW stuff from two Sydney shops Tin Soldier & Games Paradise as they are fairly close to where I work, one is three blocks away & the other across the road. They both charge wildly different prices for the same items.
GP also has an online presence which is much cheaper than their physical shop especially if you order enough stuff to qualify for free postage which also saves having to carry the boxes (eg FA &WYB) home on public transport.

Cruthers
02-05-2010, 17:47
I mostly shop online, mainly because there are no local shops (to my knowledge) that stock it. Given the choice I'd rather shop. I like to see things in the flesh so to speak, and get the immediate satisfaction of owning it on the day of purchase, but the nearest shop I can think of would involve a train journey that would buy me another model if I went online instead, so online wins for me unless the journey is justified to do something else.

kaarem
02-06-2010, 02:21
Hi

I shop online.

It is (or rather was, until my buddies went "shop-amoc") possible to get WoW in Copenhagen, but I've found a British shop, who offers 20% discount and fair P&P.

They are not lightningfast, but dependable.

As I'm unsure about the rules for advertising, I've chosen not to name the company.
Besides the abovementioned "shop-amoc" has already let to some models going "Not in stock". :(

Regards
Kaare Myltoft

Volant Gun
02-06-2010, 09:07
I'm a hard core customer. I'm very loyal if I get good service and support. I shop at my local store.

Frank.

sparty
02-06-2010, 10:14
I mostly shop online despite having a great local store.

My problem with the local stores is two-fold.

1 - Full price is not competitive and while I understand there is an incredible amount of overhead a storefront has that a warehouse doesn't it's still a bit much to ask if you wanna stay competitive.

2 - Throwing up their noses at ever having anything in stock local players ask for. A non Wings of War example...Dominion. Well loved by everyone locally, when a copy hits the shelves it's typically gone within a few days. So how many do they order? 1 or at most 2 every few months.

3 - Being so wholly consumed with Games Workshop games & Magic: The Gathering that everything else is not even on their radar. The markup and market for those two games are virtual cash-cows. They should just run themselves practically! The looks the people give there to anyone not in the store for one of those two things is unbelievably uncomfortable.

So...do I feel bad about not always shopping from my local shop? No way. They're so slow to restock that it's faster to get it online and cheaper. Not to mention, I play there once a week, but there are far more events far more frequently hosted at people's homes locally so it's not like I'd even lose a place to game.

SgtWaka
02-25-2010, 15:27
I buy exclusively online. Not because i don't like to shop local, but there is only one LGS within 75 miles of me ,and although he said he would order them in for me, the markup would be so high, it wouldn't be worth it. I can get them alot cheaper online.

Gauntlet
02-27-2010, 21:47
I buy online. A new game store opened locally last year but the only time I bought a miniature there (more expensive than online) they tried to short-change me. When I showed them the error of their ways it was turned into a joke 'he nearly got away with it that time' etc. I wasn't convinced that they don't try this on all the time. So if you do go to a certain game store in Brighton (no names, no pack drill)...make sure you give them the right money!!! Personally I'm not going back.

Max von Clickenhoff
04-08-2010, 06:24
I do abit of both myself but having said that, most, about 75%, is on line.

Ducalutra
06-09-2010, 15:37
I buy almost everything at my local game store (save the fire markers here)...
I found that as far as it concerns WoW, eBay and other sites don't have bargains worth the effort.

Gaz67
06-13-2010, 03:55
Got 6 from a games convention in Falkirk, but the rest will all be bought on-line as it'd be a 2 & 1/2 hour trip south, buy what I want and another 2 & 1/2 hour's to get home.
Basically a whole day out for a few hours shopping in 2 shops that won't have what I want, too expensive with petrol or bus fairs or train fairs and food.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-13-2010, 07:21
Due to the problems with my eyesight, and not being able to drive, i do all my shopping on line these days.
Rob.

NeilCFord
06-13-2010, 07:26
I buy online. A new game store opened locally last year but the only time I bought a miniature there (more expensive than online) they tried to short-change me. When I showed them the error of their ways it was turned into a joke 'he nearly got away with it that time' etc. I wasn't convinced that they don't try this on all the time. So if you do go to a certain game store in Brighton (no names, no pack drill)...make sure you give them the right money!!! Personally I'm not going back.

A situation made worse by a distinct lack of stock. :( Seems that unless you are seriously in to figure painting or Work****e, they aren't interested. Shame really as it's a prime location with lots of potential.

Thankfully for me there are a number of alternatives, especially with a quick trip in to London.

- Neil.

Anav
06-14-2010, 22:34
I have been into gaming for over 20 years. I have been into about two dozen different games.
"The Armchair Adventurer" The best store in town... Every time I walk in, Glen brings me what I need, or is ready to order it for me.
I have never needed to look online for anything!

CappyTom
06-15-2010, 17:07
I have been into gaming for over 20 years. I have been into about two dozen different games.
"The Armchair Adventurer" The best store in town... Every time I walk in, Glen brings me what I need, or is ready to order it for me.
I have never needed to look online for anything!

Now that is service. Other stores could learn from Glen. I'm glad to see stores like that still out there.

Tom

Anav
06-15-2010, 20:50
He is great. I am broken up that we have to move off island next year. The only store I will miss!

flash
06-23-2010, 10:31
I mostly buy online as I have no LGS that stocks WoW - I've had some really good bargains from the online stores & e-bay. As we seem to be paying premium prices over here I tend to go with the best deal & have found a number of good suppliers. So far I haven't paid over £10 ($15 - yes we pay that much as rrp ! ) for a plane except for 2 seaters & a couple I got insanely cheaper than that.

WilliamBarkerVC
06-23-2010, 13:50
The only time I will not buy at my LGS is if they can not get it for me.

I'm of this opinion.

My real local shop, a couple of minutes from me, can often get me all my gaming stuff. Sometimes he can't. Then I go to my other local shop, only 150km away. I have purchased almost all my Wings of War from the shop 150km away, due to crummy distribution.

But I am actually waiting a few days, as my real local says he can get me the Wings of War WW2 series 2 aircraft. Could have bought them yesterday. But the local always get the effort.

Don't care about online discount shops - my real local provides gaming space for 16 6x4 tables, and free gaming time. I ran the club there for the first four years, so I have seen the shop and the club grow. Online shops don't grow anything.

Guntruck
06-24-2010, 01:16
Unfortunately, I don't have a 'local' games store and have to wait until I go to London to find anything that fits the description of a games store. Therefore most purchases are done online.

Akosion
06-24-2010, 13:53
So far I've gone the LGS route. There's only one stocking WoW, but they're nice folks, and helpful. Since prices are reasonable, spending time hunting for bargains online isn't really worth the effort. However they haven't brought in the recent boosters, and aren't sure about the upcoming ones...bit of suspense there.
best regards
Aris K.

Attila57
07-17-2010, 09:56
In Rome there is a well-known LGS (and his new second store) where I can easily find WoW packages and minis.

I have some problems to buy with mail-order purchase (to receive the parcel) and I've to add the courier expense.

So the store price is competitive for me.

A.

Olt^Jones
07-17-2010, 10:55
i do both.
Usually i buy boardgames in a local shop not so far from my home.
but sometimes when i need particular bgs or my shop doesnt have what i want, i buy online.

Dathbain
07-18-2010, 10:39
Im a big fan of "I have to touch it to buy it" which puts online purchases in the toilet for me. It would have to be something really hard to get for me to purchase online. Im weird that way!

Dave

Goering Ace
07-18-2010, 14:09
When my son and I first discovered WOW we bought all of our Minaitures at the LGS. That was the first 8 or 10 miniatures. However, when I discovered the prices of the online stores, I inevitably switched to online purchasing do to the massive savings. We simply can't afford to buy at the LGS prices when they are $3-5 more per mini. It's unfortunate, but in this economy you have to save where you can.

Scott

DaveZee
09-21-2010, 07:25
I like supporting my LGS, and spend quite a bit there, but I am venturing more to online purchases. I have a diverse range of games I like to play (WoW, Monsterpocalypse, Warmachine, Heroclix) and if I paid full price for all of them, I'd be in the poor house. For the most part, I have restricted my online purchases to single items in the collectible games or out of stock items, like the Udet DVII for the non-collectible games.

In one case, the online store provides far more support for continuing the game than the LGS. They organize conventions, video finals games, provide podcasts and articles about tactics and the future of the game - in short, they really support the game. My LGS is filled with great guys and they provide lots of gaming space, but pretty much if you don't play Magic, you're a second-class gamer. Totally reasonable, seeing as Magic keeps the store in business, but it makes it easier to spread my purchasing around a bit.

bumblie3
09-29-2010, 12:48
I buy my stuff on-line either mail order from dealers or from e-bay or Amazon. The only LGS in Worthing is exclusively GW, and occasionally I buy paints from them.
John

Delnore
09-29-2010, 13:04
I would support my LGS if it were well-run. It's not. I come in looking for something and invariably they don't have it, never heard of it (even if the rest of the publisher's games are on the shelf), and won't suggest ordering it.

One time I asked if they were planning to stock one of FFG's Tolkien games. The guy said they'd read about it on BGG and think about it. Umm, if I came in asking about the game, probably I would have bought it if you had it. I might even have let you order it for me rather than do it myself! You don't need to pass judgment on my tastes; you need to sell me games!

Another time I asked about an in-print WotC product. "We used to have those, but we sold them." Well, I guess I shouldn't tell you how to run your store, but shouldn't you have restocked in hopes of selling more? Shouldn't you ask me if you can place an order?

I am moving to a town with better LGSes and an looking forward to shopping in them.

Richard Bliss did a video interview with Nexus's president in which he lamented that Nexus hasn't found a good retail channel for this game. It's not really a game for hardcore gamers and many potential players wouldn't think of going into the usual Magic-and-GW game store. They mentioned selling it at Borders or Barnes & Noble (large bookstore chains with game departments). I think this is an excellent idea. This is the type of game that sells there. Employees of those stores do a better job selling, too.

Edit: I want to emphasize that this post reflects my experience in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I have moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and received excellent service from Games Unlimited, which kindly ordered me Flying Legends.

Pope
09-29-2010, 14:49
I use my LGS which has an online store which means normally I can have a look at new products but still get the discount prices. Before it openned last year the only option was online.

Cujo8-1
09-29-2010, 17:41
I do both. I buy things from the local game shop because I use the game rooms to play WoW and as well as other games. I need to help the store "keep the lights on".

I also buy items online.

If anyone buys strictly online to save money and still regularly avails themselves of the local game store's game rooms, they should re-evaluate such behavior.

I've seen too much of the latter.

MayorJim
10-01-2010, 16:07
Gotta support the LGS!!

Walram
10-22-2010, 23:08
I too try to support the LGS but had no choice but order from the internet to get the WWI deluxe edition.

Didn't have the patience to wait for version 2. Especially not knowing when they will be available.

Canuck
10-23-2010, 19:25
I first found WoW at a LGS while on vacation in Maryland. I didn't decide to get it until a few weeks after we got home - and did some online research (found this site too!). I approached two LGS and asked them about bringing the product in. The first one said he had no success with 144 scale and refused flat out. The other said he'd look into it and after 2 phone calls and a visit (at which I left my name and phone number) I still haven't heard from him and that was in Aug. Local research failed to turn up any retailers who carried WoW - ya, I'm patient. Then I went online.

Got the Deluxe WWI set from Quebec, ordered minis from another big box vendor in the US, then found CoolStuffInc.com (best postage to Canada btw). I have even ordered form overseas: 5x Fokker Dr.1's (France) and some D VII's (France and England) as they are no longer available from retailers in N.A..

I will pay more to get what I want, and if the LGS can't or wont supply it, what else can one do?

Scott
10-24-2010, 08:39
Pkay, d'où est-ce que tu fasses les achets du Québec? J'aimerais acheter une buite deluxe de WWI s'il en ont «in stock». Pour éviter des problèmes avec le sponsor, envoyez-moi un courriel: scott (caractère de soulignement) schelter @ hotmail (point) com.

Merci!

chub
10-24-2010, 11:30
Unfortunately a complete lack of FLGS means my only option is to buy online

g.paoletti
10-25-2010, 07:25
I usually post my orders to my FLG and wait (9 last time)...

Occasionally, falling in shopping frenzy, I buyed some single plane in other shops.

G.

PKHansma
11-22-2010, 18:36
2 years ago, I got my first set and expansion cards at a LGS, then it went belly up a month later. :eek: I had to shop online ever since, until I found a new game shop had opened in town. The new LGS has the same prices and I don’t have to pay for shipping. :D

The Cowman
11-22-2010, 19:13
I believe in supporting the Brick and Mortar stores whenever I can. I also try to spend money in the dealer room at Origins every year. Having that place to play is a privilege that should be supported with loyalty to the store. Having the 2nd largest Gaming Convention in the US come back to Columbus each year is also important to me...

The only time I shop online for gaming goodies is if my FLGS cannot get them or chooses not to carry them.

Shop Where You Play!

RonaldRS
11-23-2010, 05:46
we try to support are loco hobby stores but if thay don't have it we outsors!

pistonpopper
11-23-2010, 18:13
Our local stores are kinda "lacking". If they had this great product, I would beat a path to their door, and spend a bundle. Seems that buying on line is the "only" way to go for me. Joe

somaliavet
04-10-2011, 19:02
I have done both, and will usually buy something from my LGS if I know they have it in stock. ( I guess I like the instant gratification.) But, if they don't have what I want, I'll just order it online.

Hunter
04-11-2011, 03:25
I have done both, and will usually buy something from my LGS if I know they have it in stock. ( I guess I like the instant gratification.) But, if they don't have what I want, I'll just order it online.

Same for me. Although the LGS is supportive of WoW and has followed through both times I asked him to order more miniatures, he could not get any Fokker DrI's or DVII's, Udets DVa, Camels - Barker & Elwood, Albatros DIII's, or Nieuport 17's. I then had to resort to the net to purchase all of these. I would prefer to buy from my LGS and increase the WoW retail area. Currently, WoW is in a small corner while the other 98% of the store is Fantasy, D&D, Warhammer, Warcraft, 40K, Magic, boardgames, and Flames of War. The other LGS, across town, does not stock WoW. So the internet is a viable, though more expensive (in some instances), option.

grumpybear
04-11-2011, 07:32
I play at LGS buy there when convenient. But most time can find on line cheaper if I shop carefully.

Niclas
04-11-2011, 13:28
I mix and match.

I try to support my LGS when I can and have the patience to wait for them to stock/restock the products I want.
Nowadays, there's only a handful of (non-GW) game shops in the whole country - and none (that I've visited at least) that I would call "real".

There used to be shops where you could go in and say "I'd like a game that's something like this or that" and they'd recommend you something good, or simply say "suggest a good game to me" and they'd still come up trumps - You knew that they actually played the games themselves and usually they'd even bother to get to know you. (Boy, have I become a grumpy old man, or what?)

None of that around now, but it's still nice to actually try to be able to walk into a shop - any games shop. So I try to support them anyhow.

Actually, some of the online suppliers seems to me to be real game enthusiast - I try to support those to.

I'm more into availability than price (though I do have a budget limit - Or at least that's what my wife keeps saying).

Bartman
04-11-2011, 15:58
I too use both. I have a great local vendor here in Western, PA and have thrown a bunch a business his way. But, I don't believe that being an online vendor necessarily eliminates the "friendly" part of the old FLGS mantra.

The online vendor I use is very friendly and I have called him personally several times to discuss orders. Plus, as others have noted, the prices are much better than what can be found at an LGS. Saving a few bucks is still important after all.

rote Flügel
04-12-2011, 15:45
Nice to see this one got some new attention.. I also use both.. My FLGS is one that I worked at 20+ years ago.. Royal Hobby here in Rockford IL is a great family run store.. I've known the owner, Ken, for near 30 years.. he is willing to accommodate my requests and tries to get what is available.. but he can't get it all.. but he has promised to get what he can when the new stuff.. and reprints.. come out.. so I gotta give him his props there.. I do go online when I can't get it there.. and my initial WoW purchase was at a local convention. ROC CON.. dropped about $200 that day.. lol..

Niclas
04-22-2011, 15:12
My Osprey on Pfalz aces arrived in the mail, so I had to pop by my LGS and support them to the tune of of two Pfalz-minis (all they had) to repaint, and a Nieuport (realized I didn't have an Albert Ball one).

Luckily, they were rather short stocked, or I'd gone and ruined myself on minis - again...

gully_raker
04-22-2011, 19:28
With no source of supply within 2 1/2 Hours Drive & then at high prices I use online plus Ebay.
We also do a bit of "horse trading" amongst Club Members.

Hunter
04-23-2011, 03:12
With no source of supply within 2 1/2 Hours Drive & then at high prices I use online plus Ebay.
We also do a bit of "horse trading" amongst Club Members.

I hear ya, Barry!

Diamondback
06-16-2011, 18:48
I split my business between two LGS's (one is the only one in my town, the other's a bit farther afield but its GM has been extremely helpful so that's how I say 'thank you', a friend's online store and forum sponsors.

The Red Baron
06-19-2011, 09:32
I try to buy locally first, as I buy the planes in complete sets when they come out, however there are some things that I cannot get or the LGS can not profitably handle such as the foam carrying cases or the cool flight stands and markers. But one that note I've purchased 60+ planes, all the decks, balloons, 4 mats and additional boxes from the LGS and another 20 planes from Reveirsco/Skytrex.

LS650
10-06-2014, 07:53
I buy most of my 'hobby' items online. Even with shipping from the US to Canada, such items are usually much, much cheaper than the local vendors - and of course the selection is better.

I would prefer to buy from local businesses, of course, but the markup in the brick and mortar store is so high, that they're simply priced out of affordable range.

Smitch
10-06-2014, 08:42
I buy from two LGS that provide gaming space, as well as the occasional on-line purchase. One of my LGS (very close to where I live) charges full retail for their product, but since I game there often I try to support them by buying from them. The more distant LGS (where I also game) discounts their product so I like to buy stuff there. I buy on-line for items my LGS don't carry.

Ken at Sunrise
03-27-2016, 17:39
I couldn't find any local. I even asked my LGS but no joy. So other than a couple of fantastic trades I put everything on line at Miniature Market. Good prices and that had a good stock of what I was looking for at the time.

Teaticket
03-27-2016, 17:50
No local shops carry within a reasonable drive so I buy online and at shows.

Max Von Below
03-27-2016, 18:41
Unfortunately, the local hobby or game suppliers are pretty much gone in my area.
I stop by my one local hobby store, but only to buy small supplies and not much else.
They are more into trains... That only leaves online for just about everything. I usually like to "touch" what I buy, but I have to move with the times. My gaming needs are niche and are not available in stores. Heroclix is the only game I buy at LCBS, and I still purchase more online.

Blackronin
03-28-2016, 05:02
I try to buy in the Aerodrome store, therefore online and also there are no one selling WoG in stores in Holland.

Doug
04-24-2016, 01:00
There are no LGS in Toowoomba, and used to buy on line from Australian store's but due to several stuff ups I now only buy from Keith.

Shadowcat
05-11-2016, 00:57
I buy mostly online as I get better deals. That being said, on Thurdsay nights when I go to the Local shop to game I always buy something like paints, modeling supplies, or the current wargaming mag. Now I even take a look at their half dozen or so WOG planes to grab one each week I do not have. I do not have a lot of cash so go for cheap deals, but you HAVE to support your shop somehow. SO they get ALL my paint and mag business and I get minis wherever I can cheaply. Did get the WOG rules there last week though, after all they sponsored the demo that got me hooked.

Ken at Sunrise
02-02-2018, 12:00
Update: When I originally answered I was only talking about getting the planes. Many were far over MSRP, some not, some from places like eBay, people here and Miniature Market.

As for gaming supplies, that's a broad question. When I'm getting supplies for WoG mostly I mostly order from the Aerodrome Store (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/) or Litko (http://www.litko.net/). Other supplies depends on the game.

But if I can, I try to get most of my things from Cool Stuff Inc. (https://www.coolstuffinc.com/)

Future Pilot
03-09-2018, 15:53
I buy from online because there are no local shops.

gully_raker
03-09-2018, 16:15
:D I have since my last post back in 2011 been buying from Keith via the Aerodrome Store but now we have our own Australian distributor, Rival Sky Games & as there is no local Games Store within Cooee of Moruya I have purchased direct from Evan.;)
Postage & the US Dollar makes it too expensive to buy from Keith these days.:hmm:

NewFlyBoy
03-09-2018, 16:26
There are no shops anywhere near me, so I largely buy online. I do buy from shops at conventions when I can.
B.

Flying Helmut
03-09-2018, 16:27
I buy online, mostly ebay but also Aerodrome Accessories and Entoyment (that way I'm supporting a bricks-and-mortar store by buying from them online).

Recently I have stopped buying from Miniature Market owing to exorbitant postage costs.

Marechallannes
03-09-2018, 16:30
Bloody thread necromancers... ;)

ArkansasChuck
03-09-2018, 20:07
Keith is my go to guy at the Aerodrome Store, all my orders of the branded items come from him. For the 1/144 planes and other things I use Miniature Market and this brand new webpage called Eebay? Am I typing that Correctly? eBay? I doubt any of you have heard of it. :p

rhodie80
03-10-2018, 05:49
I also go to Keith at the Aerodrome. I have recently ordered several of his custom etched bases for some shapeway planes I have built. The bases are unbelievable perfect. He etched in the data for the planes including climb rate and ceiling. Fantastic.

If he is out of a plane I have gone to Miniature Market. Their prices are good and they deliver quickly.

mrinku
04-11-2018, 14:30
No local shop stocks them here. Otherwise I'd be happy to buy local if the price wasn't too steep.

Continentaleye
04-11-2018, 14:48
Unfortunately, it is becoming harder and harder to find WOG items in my area and there is only 1 hobby shop I know of nearby so while I would rather buy from a LGS, I buy most of my WOG items online.

Popsical
04-12-2018, 14:03
I am yet another Sussex lad that has no LGS that will stock wings. I shop online for almost all my gaming needs because it costs the price of another two seater plane to use the London to Brighton train line. After which you have to travel all over London to visit many small stores that are off the beaten track, only to find that they don't stock wow or can't get any wow or only have the duel packs and accessories pack. It still staggers me that the South East of England is one of the most affluent areas in Europe and yet it is the the wargamers black hole for retail outlets.

Mike George
04-12-2018, 17:26
I support my local game store.

Scrivner
04-13-2018, 06:36
I bought my LGS out of WoW/WoG several years ago and they never restocked so I buy all online now.

BwanaJoe
11-26-2018, 11:28
If any of the LGSs in the area stocked anything other then XWing, 40K, or Magic I’d buy from there. We’ve even tried to get the closest to host any number of historical games with no success. Can’t reserve tables and if you are willing to wait they then charge you for the table. That would be why I left the F off that LGS!

Brings up a good point though. Other than MiniatureMarket and TheWarStore (not counting Aerodeome here) where do others shop online in the US? I saw someone mention CoolStuffInc but it looks like they don’t really carry anything but SW stuff anymore.

Diamondback
11-26-2018, 11:36
CSI still stocks, they just don't advertise or do sale-prices as much anymore. Usually of late Miniature Market has made better offers, though, even with my loyalty-program discount.

Ken at Sunrise
11-28-2018, 06:44
I do try to buy from Cool Stuff (https://www.coolstuffinc.com) whenever I can, but they have more pages of 'Out of Stock' than in stock for Wings of Glory (https://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&page=1&resultsPerPage=25&q=wings+of+glory). I think I have more types of planes than they do what really should never happen. Some things they have been out of stock since I started playing.

James Denberger
11-28-2018, 07:33
I do both, but both of the local shops (within 30 miles) have limited historical stock, and have stopped restocking WOG due to over ordering and stagnant sales. Part of the problem being Ares slow release of new aircraft for the game. Our local gamer's still enjoy the game, but flying the same old aircraft under new colors isn't making the sales. :-(

Ken at Sunrise
11-28-2018, 08:06
[...] but flying the same old aircraft under new colors isn't making the sales. :-(

There might be more reasons that that. X-Wing is a huge success and you pilot 4 identical X-Wings or a half-dozen identical TIE Fighters. There were plenty of double freighter lists in tournaments; yes freighters are often better than actual attack fighters in X-Wing.

X-Wing has a huge fan base for Star Wars where Wings of Glory has an issue there and several others. Lack of production leads to 'Out of Stock' for years, consistent 'it will be out within a year', etc. Even when we play with new people or take the game to conventions we often (always?) use planes that simply are not available or can only be purchased via third party. Then you have to paint them yourself and find maneuver cards, etc. We play the planes we like and fun, but at the same time we tell the new players, sorry you can't get this without paying huge amounts on eBay or taking a more self-limiting DIY approach.

This and a few other issues makes it very hard to attract new players who might have otherwise been tempted. Unless you're a HUGE and very dedicated fan of WWI aerial combat most gamer types will prefer games that are more complete and more readily accessible. We wish it was otherwise.

jbmacek
12-27-2019, 04:45
Bloody thread necromancers... ;)

And I'm going to do it again!
;)

The primary source for my Wings habit is Cool Stuff Inc.
I live in an area with a huge gamer population, enough to support at least a half dozen game stores if not more, but at the moment as far as I know only one actually carries WoW/G. So while I do support stores when I can, it is mostly rpgs and rpg minis that I buy from the locals.

driph
12-27-2019, 20:53
And I'm going to do it again!
;)

The primary source for my Wings habit is Cool Stuff Inc.
I live in an area with a huge gamer population, enough to support at least a half dozen game stores if not more, but at the moment as far as I know only one actually carries WoW/G. So while I do support stores when I can, it is mostly rpgs and rpg minis that I buy from the locals.

Las Vegas is like that, as well. So far, I've seen one shop with a handful of WWI and WWII planes, but that's that.

Naharaht
12-28-2019, 00:02
I buy some equipment from my local games shop because I feel that it is important to support to help keep it open as a source for the games. Also I buy from internet stores.

Sauerkraut
12-28-2019, 05:31
I buy from my local games store where possible as I feel its important to support your gaming venue. Where stock is unavailable though then ebay and forum members are useful for filling in gaps.

David Manley
12-28-2019, 06:35
I voted "both". I've bought online from Keith and via the Giants Kickstarter, the closest I can get to buying from an FLGS is biting from traders at shows, as our FLGS has never stocked the game

Teaticket
12-28-2019, 08:19
My only local (20 miles away) shop is mainly a train and model shop. 20 years ago I asked the owner if I could put up a small notice to start a gaming group, miniatures and board. He refused. I have bought supplies there but because of distance and attitude my support is minimal.

99% of my Wings purchases are online. Larger conventions are the only place I usually can find any planes.

OldGuy59
12-28-2019, 09:24
I would like to support a FLGS, but...

The FLGS won't bring in Ares products, because the local community doesn't buy it. A WGF RAP has sat on the shelf for two years, despite my demos and convention appearances, probably because there are no planes on pegs in the store, and no visible 'community' playing it, just one 'old guy' raving about an old game.

For BSG, I can order stuff in, but for the last wave of Raptors and Heavy Raiders I had to go to an online store, as the FLGS was unable to acquire them from the distributor.

I was going to get them from the Aerodrome, but the exchange rates, postage, and customs would have driven up the price of the models too high. As it turns out, I found a site in Canada that could provide them at near US prices, which should end up being almost half of what the FLGS wanted to charge me.

Don't know what I will do in the future, with that price difference. I don't want to loose the gaming venue.

Flying Helmut
12-28-2019, 09:59
My "local" game store is "Entoyment" which is over 100 miles away! I have always found the customer service and relations second to none, and wish to support it as far as I can.

It is located less than 3 miles from the house I grew up in, but is 40 years too late! :mad:

Fortunately, it is the venue for "Flight Club" so I find myself down there every 6 weeks or so. I order from them online as well as making 'spot' purchases when I visit.

Hedeby
12-29-2019, 10:45
Sorry, I thought the answer to this was “without the wife knowing”...

Teaticket
12-29-2019, 14:42

I thought that went without saying. :minis::money::clap::ssmack::(

Ken at Sunrise
12-30-2019, 05:15

I thought that went without saying. :minis::money::clap::ssmack::(

Wow! I must be the lucky one. Mine tends to encourage me though she does say I may have a gaming addiction. ;)

tikkifriend
12-30-2019, 06:59
Got no local Well its200km away and does not stock WGF or2

Gangleader147
11-23-2020, 07:21
My "local" game store is "Entoyment" which is over 100 miles away! I have always found the customer service and relations second to none, and wish to support it as far as I can.

It is located less than 3 miles from the house I grew up in, but is 40 years too late! :mad:

Fortunately, it is the venue for "Flight Club" so I find myself down there every 6 weeks or so. I order from them online as well as making 'spot' purchases when I visit.

Mr Valinski is currently trying to secure better supply amounts so watch this space.

Gangleader147
11-23-2020, 07:22
Wow! I must be the lucky one. Mine tends to encourage me though she does say I may have a gaming addiction. ;)

Mine is supportive, in fairness she has watched me shift a lot of other systems on in the last few years.

Flying Helmut
11-23-2020, 13:15
Mr Valinski is currently trying to secure better supply amounts so watch this space.

Goody! :clap:

Hedeby
11-23-2020, 13:56
On reflection there should have been another voting option which read “without the wife knowing”

Flying Helmut
11-23-2020, 14:02
On reflection there should have been another voting option which read “without the wife knowing”

Your previous post, #107 ?
:p

Hedeby
11-23-2020, 15:11
D’oh it’s been a long day...

Flying Helmut
11-23-2020, 15:28
D’oh it’s been a long day...

It's been a long YEAR! :(

Ken at Sunrise
11-24-2020, 04:22
It's been a long YEAR! :(

Goodness is certainly has...

:surrender: I give up. Okay not really but sometimes I feel that way.

Hedeby
11-25-2020, 13:52
I'm with you Ken its been a catalogue of ****e since February.... just cannot wait until Jan 1st and praying there is no more heartache between now and then.

Gangleader147
11-26-2020, 00:55
Think positive guys - next year is going to be a good year .....

We just need to make sure the venues that can support the game being played don't vanish in the process. (although they do need to earn our support)

Ken at Sunrise
12-02-2020, 08:19
If the vaccine works as hoped and people take it, then by June 2021 the world should be, hopefully, back to normal. Fingers crossed. On the bright side, I've saved a fair bit more than I would have by not traveling abroad. Yeah!!! More for games. So as soon as this pandemic subsides I can have friends (you call them mates ;) ) to the house for a game or several games.