PDA

View Full Version : Immelman too fast?

aikavaras
01-08-2010, 14:10
I have begun to think that the immelman and split-s manouvres are too quick to perform when compared to tight turning. It takes three steps to make a 180 degree turn w/ immelman (and you actually make the turn on step 2) while it takes four tight turns to achieve that same 180 degree turn. Result: turning isn't a viable option in most situations.

I quickly tested this out in IL-2 simulator and found out that the time needed to turn 180 degrees was roughly equal with all methods. It could be reasonable to add a fourth step to the immelman and split-s procedure to bring them more in line with tight turns. Has anyone tried something like this?

HardRock
01-08-2010, 17:01
The downside is it's very predictable where your opponent is going to be.

Henry

Oberst Hajj
01-08-2010, 21:36
They are a fast way to turn around, that's why pilots used them. There are drawbacks to using them though. As HardRock pointed out, it make it easier for your opponent to know where you are going to be after doing it. They also require you to be a certain speeds as well as changing your altitude "settings".

So, they do have their place in a dogfight, but I don't think they negate a normal, level turn.

Scoop
01-09-2010, 04:18
True, fine if you can do a immelmann in one round, but if you startet one in the first round and need to end it in the second every player knows what's gonna happen. I guess it's even more predictable in WWII games, where you can react more qickly.