PDA

View Full Version : For those who enjoy their DoW in 1/144 scale

Roger Wilco
08-25-2009, 22:12
Heres a link that is very helpfull for keeping up with whats new or available in 1/144 scale (aircraft and armour), there are some great links on this site so use it to springboard yourself around the web.

http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/ :)

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2009, 22:43
Lots of good stuff on that site. I've looked at it before, but kind of forgot about it for a while. Thanks for posting the link to it!

kaufschtick
08-26-2009, 13:59
I was checking out Hobby Link Japan this evening to see if there were any new releases in their 1/144 scale section, and I happened to notice a couple 1/144 scale early war fighters that I've not seen before, with a September release scheduled.

The company is described as a small Japanese company that specializes in resin kits, called Kami de Korokoro. Anyway, I saw that HLJ has the two following fighters scheduled to be available in September. The Curtiss Hawk 75, which was the forerunner to the P-40 Warhawk. The second really got my attention, as it is one of the fighters in the first boxed set, DoW. It's the Dewoitine D.520! (Well, I was happy to see it :p)

http://www.hlj.com/product/KADMMFT-037
http://www.hlj.com/product/KADMMFT-038

The price looks to be about in the $15-$16 USD range each, so they are a little pricey.

I read Saburo Sakai's book Samurai! a couple times, and he ran into the Hawk 75s (that was the export name, the USAAF called them P-36s) flown by the Dutch in the Dutch East Indies. Of course, he shot them down left and right, for those of you wondering ;). But I'm thinking that they might not make a bad addition to the DoW planes. The French flew the Hawk 75s, and at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, they had one painted in what they called a "desert sand & spinach" camoflage scheme, which was a funky white, yellow and dark green tri color pattern. Cool plane though.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/kaufschtick/profile_h75_3.jpg

Starfighter
09-05-2009, 20:58
When on the HLJ site, also check the "Aircraft Trading Kits (Gashapon)" these are neat little (mostly) prepainted planes. Usually modern jets and WWI, but there have been WWI types represented also. The only downside is that you have to buy a randomly selected sealed box of usually 8-12 models.

Roger Wilco
09-06-2009, 00:30
When on the HLJ site, also check the "Aircraft Trading Kits (Gashapon)" these are neat little (mostly) prepainted planes. Usually modern jets and WWI, but there have been WWI types represented also. The only downside is that you have to buy a randomly selected sealed box of usually 8-12 models.

They can usually be purchased individually on Ebay, price depends of rarity and availability. The Biplanes Collection are still available and are reasonably priced, I get all mine from sellers in either Hong Kong or Japan on the US Ebay, but change your search to worldwide and you will get hits from all over.

CafeReo will be releasing a bomber set in the middle of September, DC3 AC47, He177 and an Emily flying Boat, I don't know what the special is yet, later this will be followed up by a Divebomber set: Dauntless, Helldiver, Stuka and possibly a Japanese Divebomber (a Val I hope), rumours have it that the second Biplane collection (if it happens) will have a Gloster Gladiator in it but that rumour is un-verified and could well be just wishfull thinking.

kaufschtick
09-16-2009, 13:53
They can usually be purchased individually on Ebay, price depends of rarity and availability. The Biplanes Collection are still available and are reasonably priced, I get all mine from sellers in either Hong Kong or Japan on the US Ebay, but change your search to worldwide and you will get hits from all over.

I'll second the above comments. I was extremely skeptical about EBay at first, but have had nothing but positive experiences with it, and they have some terrific deals if you are patient and look often.

CafeReo will be releasing a bomber set in the middle of September, DC3 AC47, He177 and an Emily flying Boat, I don't know what the special is yet, later this will be followed up by a Divebomber set: Dauntless, Helldiver, Stuka and possibly a Japanese Divebomber (a Val I hope), rumours have it that the second Biplane collection (if it happens) will have a Gloster Gladiator in it but that rumour is un-verified and could well be just wishfull thinking.

R_W, are you getting this info from these companies directly through their webpages? You always seem to have the scoop on what is just around the corner! :cool:

pbhawkin
09-16-2009, 15:46
Hi all,
Here are some of my favourite spots:

Kampfgruppe144 is THE place to go for ALL 1/144 news and announcements.
Small Scale Models is a yahoo forum with a lot of info and links as well (have to be a member though).

Ebay is one of the easiest places to find and buy 1/144 planes from despite it's varied pros and cons. Things like F-toys, Cando, Cafe-reo, etc

Hobby Link Japan (HLJ) is VERY good at getting often VERY hard to find Japanese stuff. But they are often months behind new releases and can be a little more expensive than say Ebay might be (luck of the draw really).

Japanese 'Garage kits' are VERY good and VERY hard to find as they often ONLY get released in VERY limited numbers and only twice a year at the Winter and Summer 'Wonderfest'. Kamide koro koro and Fairy are the most common to find and seem to be large scale makers but there are numerous small 'garage' makers too who often ONLY sell to buyers inside Japan (anyone have any Japanese friends??).

Creation Chaubet does white metal planes http://jacques.chaubet.free.fr/index02e.htm (his Kingfisher and Late 298 are from my resin versions)

Revisco also does white metal planes http://www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl but don't be put off by the poor paining in the photos!

The Miniatures Page http://theminiaturespage.com/index.mv also has some good links, ideas etc.

Airalex makes a large variety of resin planes http://airalex.homestead.com/

Don Schmenk is a well known ex US jet fighter pilot who makes a very large number of resin planes http://www.bright.net/~dschmenk/

I also make some resin 1/144 planes and consider myself one of the 'Garage Kit' makers as I literally make them in my garage between a full time job and family commitments! www.petersplanes.com

regards
Peter

Roger Wilco
09-16-2009, 18:40
I regularly scoure several modelling and collecting Blogs plus I regularly cruise the manufacturers sites, even though the sites are in Japanese, a picture says a thousand words. kampfgruppe 144 is very informative and so are the links and links from those links and so on, after a half an hour of link jumping I get pretty lost sometimes so my bookmarks list his huge. I also get updates from some of my regular E-bay sellers, they have my tastes flagged and know how to squeeze a few bucks out of me. I'm at the point now that if I wan't something they haven't got, I ask and they get it for me......

Redcoat
09-18-2009, 15:43
May I also recommend;

http://www.sweetaviationmodels.com/

who do some interesting things with model kits (nice way to get some early hurricanes). But they do tend to overdo the "zekes"

cheers

kaufschtick
09-18-2009, 15:57
May I also recommend;

http://www.sweetaviationmodels.com/

who do some interesting things with model kits (nice way to get some early hurricanes). But they do tend to overdo the "zekes"

cheers

The Sweet models are super, I get mine through Hobby Link Japan. :)

Platz models are of equal quality to Sweet, IMHO as well.

I'll tell you a good little outfit Roger_Wilco just turned me onto...OZMODS. I just got 4 of their Bell P-39 AirCobras yesterday, and they look outstanding. Clear canopies and markings for three versions (US, British & Russian). Upon first examination, these kits look...well, like I said...outstanding.:D

richard m schwab
01-19-2010, 13:23
I am enclosing a link for the Furuta Choco Egg Series War Planes. These sometimes come plastic bags, i have ordered some from HongKong that arrived
in plastic pill shaped eggs. Beware that these are not sold as scaled models
they very from 1:100 to smaller than 1:200. They have a line in various series
covering WW1 to Modern. My local Hobby Town USA has some. If you see them
in this links photos, some are compared to a penny.

http://www.akaus.com/ebay_photos/available_choco_egg.html;)

Baron
01-20-2010, 21:57
For people flying 1/144, Ftoys will release in March I believe a new series including Spitfires and Nakajima "Oscar".

Spitfire is a very rare plane right now if you like 1/144 prepainted plastic, since only Bandai produced them in the first series (Part 1) and those should be avoided and in the "Kansai Special Series" and those you cant find. But as I said, the good news is here.

Does someone know if Takara will continue with the World Wing Museum series? They did all the Zero models that have ever flown :) will they continue with some other models?

Roger Wilco
01-21-2010, 02:56
Thanks for the F-Toys update.

Does someone know if Takara will continue with the World Wing Museum series? They did all the Zero models that have ever flown :) will they continue with some other models?

The word is that Takara and Bandai are no longer producing their ranges which as far as Takara goes "a crying shame" they made such nice planes, not sure on the statis of their WTM range though.

F-Toys and Algeron (CafeReo) are the only companies that are still releasing new stuff, but their quality is abit hit and miss. did you notice that all the Spits in the new range have the same paint scheme? Can't complain to much I suppose at least its a Spit.

Baron
01-21-2010, 05:30
I do not really know the "story" behind Takara and Bandai, but for sure they did stop producing these series at some point. I do not know why, someone from Japan could help us and I intend to ask one of my Ebay favorite sellers about this "situation". Still most planes you will find on Ebay at decent prices (2-9 U$D), only a few (Yakovlev, Corsair or Avenger) are really expensive and very rare. I've read somewhere that Bandai and Takara still produce "now and then" these series and that would explain how you can find Wing Club Series entire packs for sale.

What I do like is that 1/144 scale seems popular and new producers will tackle with this domain. Last example is Aviation Model that have a nice series of FW190's.

FToys have, as you said, some great models, I remember a white Ilyushin on skis... and some lame ones... Even they have stopped older series from production.

I think it must be some kind of a strategy from the Japanese. They produce one year a series of planes, then focus on ships for example, meanwhile the demand from collectors increases, after they return with a brand new series of planes that make the others obsolete with regards to quality.

richard m schwab
01-24-2010, 12:37
If in your travels you might find your selves in a aviation museum gift shop
look for SkyRay Sky Pilot series of planes. This is a line of near 1:144 scale planes some do better as 1:200. They are diecast metal and prepainted. I found two D.520`s that scale out to 144.
I found mine at the Virginia Aviation Museum and look every where i go.

Baron
01-24-2010, 13:46
could you post some pics?

richard m schwab
01-24-2010, 16:08
I am in the process of going though my most recent photos from the Museum
and fighter Factory. They are coming.

richard m schwab
01-24-2010, 18:23
I just posted some shots i too at MAM last October. The owner gave a short talk on what planes were being restored plus and what he was trying to add to his collection. The Red Dr-1 was a new arrival and they flew that before his talk.
The FG-1 and Val replica were the main stars that day.

Baron
01-24-2010, 21:08
very cool dr.1's! nice pics :)

richard m schwab
01-25-2010, 12:51
The Red one was down for repairs in December. In the shot of the blue one
you see the wing tips of their non flying D-7 and the Jungmiester.
The owner said he had three other Dr-1`s coming in. Plus a dozen other replica flying and non flying WW1 planes. If you go the page for the museum they have live feed video of the hangers.

richard m schwab
01-31-2010, 04:39
Here are some shots of my Sky Pilot D.520!

Oberst Hajj
01-31-2010, 06:32
Richard, what is Sky Pilot??

richard m schwab
01-31-2010, 11:58
They are metal die cast planes of around 144 scale. The D.520 scaled out to 144. I am sending you a link. I found mine in the gift shop of the Virginia Aviation Museum last year. They were $5.00. I saw them at the Air Force Museum gift shop last summer but not the ones i wanted. I was looking for the MIG-3. They are not sold as scale models. They do have a range of 1:72 second scale planes also. Look in the Fly section of the web page. Then all scales, and then WW2 Fighter Jets.

www.newrayusa.com/

Baron
01-31-2010, 12:08
I have this at home: http://www.newrayusa.com/index.php?link=product&productline=25&id=1747

Was a gift and was bought from a Museum in Germany :)

The ww2 models have Scale 1:140 - 1:200. Found them all on Ebay.

Baron
02-10-2010, 11:29
Speaking of 1/144 planes: does anyone have a Do335?

Starfighter
02-10-2010, 15:09
Takara had them in their World Famous Aircraft 1 Box :

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK23637

You may be able to find them on EvilBay

**Starfighter**

sparty
02-10-2010, 19:22
Yikes...the disclaimer on that site scared me away that the breakdown in the packages was totally random.

Starfighter
02-10-2010, 19:36
True, but many vendors break the boxes down. The LHS I go to opens the boxes and mark the contents on the back of the box. Nostalgic Plastic sells them separately for $10 - $11 each. Alas, no Do335s.

**Starfighter**

Baron
02-11-2010, 13:32
I know Takara had them, let me rephrase that: Does anyone own a Do335 from Takara? I cant find the "green" one... Actually found one, but that was sold for over $50 and... now I am still looking :)

So, anyone?

richard m schwab
02-11-2010, 13:50
Do what i just did. I went to EBAY and typed in Do-335 and had a hit on one.
They want $9.50 for and $6.50 postage! Look it up.

Baron
02-11-2010, 14:58
I have replied your PM Richard.

Mac
04-19-2010, 07:52
Squadron shop has some really nice Hasegawa, American bombers for reasonable prices at Squadron. B17's, B24's B29's and B25's for about $10 USD.
I also found :http://www.modelimex.com/aircraft-resin/1-144 They have a great selection.
Has anyone tried either of these for a report on quality?

kaufschtick
05-26-2010, 20:09
Squadron shop has some really nice Hasegawa, American bombers for reasonable prices at Squadron. B17's, B24's B29's and B25's for about $10 USD.
I also found :http://www.modelimex.com/aircraft-resin/1-144 They have a great selection.
Has anyone tried either of these for a report on quality?

Those look interesting, had to add the link to my favorites, Thanks!:)

Rollout
05-26-2010, 20:56
Am I right that 1/144 is generally the scale that most people use looking for comparably-sized aircraft when 1/200 is not available?

Oberst Hajj
05-26-2010, 22:46
The actual size difference between 1/144 and 1/200 is quite large. You could not mix the two on the table. Most of us that game in 1/144 made the switch because there is a larger verity of aircraft types at typically lower prices then the official minis. You can get 3 decent pre-paint P-40s for US$9.99... and that is shipped. Who knows when we will actually see the official P-40 mini coming is Series 3.

HardRock
05-28-2010, 14:58
I've got some 1/144th, mostly modern for Fighter Pilot.

Just got the Minicraft B-25 kit and will start building it and convert to a full gun nose. It comes with both bomber nose and gun nose with 75mm cannon, I want just the .50 cal nose.

Also have their B-17 kit, I might convert it into a YB-40, B-17 gunship. :eek:

Henry

richard m schwab
05-28-2010, 17:08
Henry!

I have a B-25 to convert to the all .50 call nose as well, i have two others built as J`s already.
After you convert your B-40 you will have to build a P-38 in Italian markings to shot at it!!
Check the link to my photo section. The last speaker i saw at the NAM flew the gun nosed B-25`s.

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=173

HardRock
05-29-2010, 12:39
Rich,
That P-38 still has it U.S. Army Air Corps markings. That was the deception, only the pilot was Italian. If we are talking about the same incident?

Henry

richard m schwab
05-30-2010, 04:37
Henry!

Yes that is the incident. It would be more sporting to put it in Italian the markings. In a free for all who looks at markings!!:)

Rich

Baron
06-04-2010, 16:34
By any chance (I know this is a long shot), does anyone have a damaged 1/144 Me109, version "F" or "K"? I need the engine air intake (its kinda like a round exterior cylinder) that goes to the nose... I am lacking that piece for a white camo 1/144 Me109 (series 1 from Takara). :( I think the same type of air intake is present on the FW190 "D" or the Do335.

I cannot find or make myself such a piece, so I thought to ask here. Without that, the plane just looks bad and I cannot play it, sell it... nothing. I have some air intakes for other Me109 versions but that would make the piece historically inaccurate. :(

richard m schwab
06-04-2010, 17:18
Tudor!
Do you mean the standard or the long tropical intake? This is one style
below.

Rich

Baron
06-04-2010, 17:23
The standard one, exactly like the one you posted in the picture!
I think also that I have seen Bandai make the Me109 in the L4 Series, having the same intake, but that is not very popular.

richard m schwab
06-04-2010, 17:31
Tudor!

I will check. I have lost to many of those myself,:mad: the Sweet Me-109 tropical has two of each type.

Rich

Baron
06-04-2010, 17:33
That would be great! If you manage to find one great would turn into awesome.

regards,

Oberst Hajj
06-04-2010, 21:34
I'll try and look through my stuff as well.

richard m schwab
06-06-2010, 17:51
Tudor!
I could not find any, they are the smallest and the slickest thing to put on. I have shot two or three across the room.
Rich

richard m schwab
06-06-2010, 17:53
Guys!
I just saw this on E-Bay. A lot of F-Toys twin engine planes including two P-38`s.
Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-NEW-NIB-F-TOYS-1-144-TWIN-ENGINE-PLANE-MODEL-KITS-NR-/310224234036?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483ace2634

Baron
06-07-2010, 15:09
Guys!
I just saw this on E-Bay. A lot of F-Toys twin engine planes including two P-38`s.
Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-NEW-NIB-F-TOYS-1-144-TWIN-ENGINE-PLANE-MODEL-KITS-NR-/310224234036?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483ace2634

I was just about to post this link, you beat me to it! Actually there are 3 Lightnings in there.
Unfortunately I cannot enter this bid war, I am not from USA, but... you know, if someone gets this lot and doesnt need the doubles, I would be interested!

Richard, thanks for looking for the Me109 air intake. I will have to make one of... something. Unless someone destroys a Me109 by chance meanwhile.

Oberst Hajj
06-07-2010, 15:14
Tudor, I've got one in a kit that I have not opened yet. I'm not that big on historical accuracy, so I can send you this one... it's gray. PM me your details.

Oh, and those P-38s are just what I need to finish out the Operation Vengeance mission I've been wanting to run.

Baron
06-07-2010, 15:29
PM sent!

richard m schwab
06-07-2010, 17:13
Kieth!

I thought about you when i saw that posting!:)

Rich

Oberst Hajj
06-08-2010, 22:06
Well, what do you know, I won that auction! Most likely I'll be selling off the Hs 129s once they show up if anyone is interested in them. I might be getting rid of the Mosquitos as well. I've got two of those already and can't think of a reason I'd need four off the top of my head.

Baron
06-09-2010, 21:40
I'm interested :) ... just PM me when you decide so I do not miss the auction, in case you list them on eBay. If you do not list them, let me know what pieces you will be selling and at what prices.

regards,

Baron
06-16-2010, 07:33
For those who enjoy... well, I have one favorite plane (Do335) and this piece is eluding me on eBay... I cant get my hands on a green Do335 from Takara, 1/144 scale. I have everything, all rare planes from Wildcat to Avenger, from the FW Ta152 to Komet, but this Do335 is getting on my nerves really. :D
Just wanted to let this out... :P

@Col Hajj
I have sent you a PM regarding the air intake for the Me109, did you receive it?
Also, is it possible to have my nickname changed to "Baron"? Its more... adequate :)

Thanks