PDA

View Full Version : Shapeways Prep-process

alpine
12-12-2011, 16:09
I finally have some Shapeways planes on the way and was wondering what the best way to prep them for painting is. I could have sworn there was a how-to somewhere, but I must've lost it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Zoe Brain
12-12-2011, 16:21
There are many ways of doing it.

First use something - a varnish, polish, I use polyurethane floor sealant - to seal it. If you try undercoating directly, the solvent will sink in leaving a rough powder of pigment on the surface, making a rough surface rougher.

Then another coat of thinned varnish/sealant to remove some of the roughness. It might take several coats, but beware of overdoing it, as then you'll have paint adhesion problems.

I really must write a formal how-to - where do these get put?

Mike W
12-12-2011, 18:16
I finally have some Shapeways planes on the way and was wondering what the best way to prep them for painting is. I could have sworn there was a how-to somewhere, but I must've lost it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

First, use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust from inside the model. Second, if the model does not have proper shape or the wings proper dihedral, dip in boiling water and then position to the proper shape. Then, when dry, lightly paint on several light coats of "Future" floor polish on the model until surface texture is mostly correct. Note that a coat of paint will also help smooth the surface textrue. Wait several hours between coats.

Zoe Brain
12-12-2011, 19:12
Second, if the model does not have proper shape or the wings proper dihedral, dip in boiling water and then position to the proper shape.

Water should be 80 C - 85 C or so, 100 C is a bit hot, too easy to overdo it. I believe a few seconds is all it needs. If the model has been compressed for hours or days in transit, the near-boiling water will cause it to resume its correct shape (no bending needed)

That's assuming WSF. Different materials have different properties.

WSF is really quite difficult to permanently deform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgbJB9v6Zk

See http://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options for other materials - FUD in particular.

Mike W
12-12-2011, 19:40
Water should be 80 C - 85 C or so, 100 C is a bit hot, too easy to overdo it. I believe a few seconds is all it needs. If the model has been compressed for hours or days in transit, the near-boiling water will cause it to resume its correct shape (no bending needed)

That's assuming WSF. Different materials have different properties.

WSF is really quite difficult to permanently deform.

Correct. I was also successful at reshaping models in hot water before it reached boiling. ;-)