PDA

View Full Version : Site: Medal Request and Recommendations

Oberst Hajj
12-10-2011, 00:45
I think I have fixed the issue with you guys requesting/recommending medals. These should work now and you guys and gals can start using them. However, make sure you meet the requirements in the description before requesting it. In fact, you can just cut and past the description into the reason why form entry and it would help me out a lot!

Burt
12-10-2011, 01:00
Will probably start a rush now as everyone tries get as many kills as possible.

Oberst Hajj
12-10-2011, 02:51
Yes, but I'll be confirming all kills.

:smack:

Jager
12-10-2011, 03:16
I realize this is a social networking thing, and a measure of what we do on the site, but is there a way of viewing member kill status without having to go to all the members' profiles. The member list can be sorted by sorties, but not by kill total, at least as I can see.
Karl

Oberst Hajj
12-10-2011, 03:31
Unfortunately, kills are just based off of the Medals and there is no built in way to display that info else where. I'd like to have it listed under Sorties Flown next to each member's posts.

Hunter
12-12-2011, 20:15
I don't know if this is the right place to inquire, but I notice alot of you easterners have medals for coordinating, helping, and even for just attending ORIGINS and HISTORICON events. Out here in Arizona we've had Vul-Con Arena 1 (April 2011), Arena 2 (July 2011), Arena 3 (December 2011), and scheduled mega Vul-Con Arena for February 2012. There have been a Wings of War event at every Arena up to this past weekend. The February Vul-Con is going to have both WoW/WoG WWI and WWII games. An Aerodrome member, Ivan TT, has put these on. Other members have brought unique models to sell and share (clipper1801), have brought their expertise in WoW gaming to help newbies learn the game (Hard Rock and KiltedWolf), facilitate play (Timelapse, Hard Rock and KiltedWolf), and develop scenarios and run WoW tables (KiltedWolf and Hunter). All of us listed are involved in the big February event! Yet no medals here. Heck, if anyone should get a Medal it, at least, should go to Ivan TT for putting all these Vul-Con Arena's together. In fact I would nominate all of us to get a 'con' medal. So how does one go about that?

So tell me, as I'm curious, why no western US medals?

Dan-Sam
12-13-2011, 03:28
I realize this is a social networking thing, and a measure of what we do on the site, but is there a way of viewing member kill status without having to go to all the members' profiles. The member list can be sorted by sorties, but not by kill total, at least as I can see.
Karl

May be it is a stupid question, but...what is "member kill status"? I did not find enawhere :confused:

I noticed only "Point value: X" which is displayed when you when you approach your mouse to a Medal under the name of member. What is it? Iam just a little confused :confused:

Zoe Brain
12-13-2011, 04:10
So tell me, as I'm curious, why no western US medals?An oversight, I'm sure. There are competitions and conventions in other parts of the world too. Quite big ones, I'm told.

Oberst Hajj
12-13-2011, 04:15
I don't know if this is the right place to inquire, but I notice alot of you easterners have medals for coordinating, helping, and even for just attending ORIGINS and HISTORICON events. Out here in Arizona we've had Vul-Con Arena 1 (April 2011), Arena 2 (July 2011), Arena 3 (December 2011), and scheduled mega Vul-Con Arena for February 2012. There have been a Wings of War event at every Arena up to this past weekend. The February Vul-Con is going to have both WoW/WoG WWI and WWII games. An Aerodrome member, Ivan TT, has put these on. Other members have brought unique models to sell and share (clipper1801), have brought their expertise in WoW gaming to help newbies learn the game (Hard Rock and KiltedWolf), facilitate play (Timelapse, Hard Rock and KiltedWolf), and develop scenarios and run WoW tables (KiltedWolf and Hunter). All of us listed are involved in the big February event! Yet no medals here. Heck, if anyone should get a Medal it, at least, should go to Ivan TT for putting all these Vul-Con Arena's together. In fact I would nominate all of us to get a 'con' medal. So how does one go about that?

So tell me, as I'm curious, why no western US medals?

First, someone has to report the Con events to me and request that a medal be made for them. I have my hands full and sometimes over look some areas with out a little prodding! lol

Next, I'm only making medals for annual events... otherwise there is just to much work evolved for me and Alan.

So, anyone requesting a Con medal to be made needs to send me a list with:

The Con name
The Con dates
A Full list of events
- User name of the person organizing the event (the head honcho if you will)
- User name of the person running each event
- - User name of any assistants the event runner might have (not just a buddy that is helping out, but someone that is preplanned to help with a major aspect of the event)

Once I have that and the Con has successfully been held, I can award medals for it.

May be it is a stupid question, but...what is "member kill status"? I did not find enawhere :confused:

I noticed only "Point value: X" which is displayed when you when you approach your mouse to a Medal under the name of member. What is it? Iam just a little confused :confused:

The Kills listed on the Medals tab is a user's profile page is just another "fun" theming change I made to the site. Each medal is worth a certain amount of Kills, so as you earn medals, your number of Kills go up.

Thanks for pointing out the "Point value: X" part, I did not realize that wording was there. I changed it to fit in with the Kill wording.

Dan-Sam
12-13-2011, 04:30
The Kills listed on the Medals tab is a user's profile page is just another "fun" theming change I made to the site. Each medal is worth a certain amount of Kills, so as you earn medals, your number of Kills go up.

Thanks for pointing out the "Point value: X" part, I did not realize that wording was there. I changed it to fit in with the Kill wording.
Thank you for your anwer Herr Oberst. Are there other ways to achieve more kills?

A small idea: Would not it be better to consider "victories" than "kills"? May be I am a sensitive soul, but seems to me that it better corresponds to the nature of air battles.

csadn
12-13-2011, 13:31
Would not it be better to consider "victories" than "kills"? May be I am a sensitive soul, but seems to me that it better corresponds to the nature of air battles.

Also more in keeping with the WW1-oriented nature of the site.

gully_raker
12-13-2011, 16:31
An oversight, I'm sure. There are competitions and conventions in other parts of the world too. Quite big ones, I'm told.

:thumbsup: Oh YES! Like CANCON, a huge multi Game Convention held over 3 days in Canberra each January! :D

It has Card Games as well as Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, Lord of the Rings, Flames of War, Historical etc etc.
This year Zoe Brain is organising a number of Tables to do Demo Games of Wings of Glory over the entire 3 days & Colbatman & myself will be attending & demoing on the Tables. Other NSW & ACT Pilots are expected to attend as well. This years dates are 27th, 28th & 29th.
Zoe will be able to advise the name of the Organisers.

So Herr Oberst a nice CANCON Medal would be much appreciated as we hope to recruit many new Pilots to the Skies! :medal::thankyou:

Zoe Brain
12-13-2011, 16:45
This year Zoe Brain is organising a number of Tables to do Demo Games of Wings of Glory over the entire 3 days & Colbatman & myself will be attending & demoing on the Tables. Other NSW & ACT Pilots are expected to attend as well.

Here's the publicity blurb. The HTML version still hasn't made it to the Cancon website yet, but will do shortly.

crashx
12-13-2011, 18:19
First, someone has to report the Con events to me and request that a medal be made for them. I have my hands full and sometimes over look some areas with out a little prodding! lol

Next, I'm only making medals for annual events... otherwise there is just to much work evolved for me and Alan.

So, anyone requesting a Con medal to be made needs to send me a list with:

The Con name
The Con dates
A Full list of events
- User name of the person organizing the event (the head honcho if you will)
- User name of the person running each event
- - User name of any assistants the event runner might have (not just a buddy that is helping out, but someone that is preplanned to help with a major aspect of the event)

Once I have that and the Con has successfully been held, I can award medals for it.

Thanks Col, I sent you a PM.

Hunter
12-13-2011, 23:32
Got it, Herr Oberst, I'll PM you when I get more info on Vul-Con 2012 from IvanTT.

Ranger
12-14-2011, 08:23
What about a couple of generic convention medals? One for people who run events, and another for people who participate? I undersand the specific medals for the high profile Cons, but there are also a lot of local Cons out there, and I don't think anyone would exspect a specific medal for each and every one. A general Convention medal would be a simple way around that.

Dan-Sam
12-15-2011, 00:54
Thank you Herr Oberst for change from "kills" to "Aerial Victories" :thankyou:

Oberst Hajj
12-15-2011, 01:43
What about a couple of generic convention medals? One for people who run events, and another for people who participate? I undersand the specific medals for the high profile Cons, but there are also a lot of local Cons out there, and I don't think anyone would exspect a specific medal for each and every one. A general Convention medal would be a simple way around that.

Not a bad idea, but I'm a little concerned that it would lead to a lot of generic con medals being handed out. By keeping them limited to the larger regional or national level cons, they have a "higher value" if you will.

Thank you Herr Oberst for change from "kills" to "Aerial Victories" :thankyou:

No worries.

Doug
12-15-2011, 02:31
I also agree with what Heer Oberst said. Also I will have to play the Devils advocate here, whilst I do not underestimate the work put in by individuals in organising a convention it set a presidence for other activities to be considered worthy for medals, thus devaluating the speciality of medals they current now have.

Zoe Brain
12-15-2011, 03:05
Not a bad idea, but I'm a little concerned that it would lead to a lot of generic con medals being handed out. By keeping them limited to the larger regional or national level cons, they have a "higher value" if you will.

I think Cancon might qualify.

http://www.themineshaftgap.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/MSG0901AGE03.jpg

That's just one of the pavillions of course. Well, half of one of them.

Oberst Hajj
12-15-2011, 03:18
Yes, CanCon might qualify if they up their attendance about 50%. lol

Volant Gun
12-15-2011, 06:39
Any West Coast Cons?

I'm trying to find regional or national level cons in the US West Coast. The only one I know of any size is the Strategicon in the LA area.

I'm not looking for medals so much as ways of promoting the game in California.

Although medals are always nice. :)

Frank.
:minis:

pflanzer
12-18-2011, 10:15
I would vote for a generic Con Medal. Some Conventions/Events are small.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29372&d=1324231506

But like Real Estate Location, Location, Location

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29371&d=1324231479

Tony

Oberst Hajj
12-18-2011, 17:51
That is a nice venue Tony! What Con was it?

pflanzer
12-18-2011, 21:17
Northwest Historical Miniature Gamers Society sponsored game day at The Seattle Museum of Flight. Yes you play WOW under the wing of an SR71. Really really cool.
Tony

Von Schlepp
12-31-2011, 21:31
I miss everything about Washington State

csadn
01-01-2012, 13:48
I miss everything about Washington State

Including the 9.5% sales tax which means most of WA's business is actually transacted in Oregon? :)

tech42
01-01-2012, 14:56
What about adding Ribbons for smaller Cons worth 0.1 aerial victories.

Oberst Hajj
01-01-2012, 23:40
What about adding Ribbons for smaller Cons worth 0.1 aerial victories.

Unfortunately, the system will not allow points lower than 1.... I already tried it :(