PDA

View Full Version : The Portland Ne'er Do Wells

Rum Demon
01-04-2010, 10:18
Well I finally broke down and sought out strangers (GASP!) to sate my WoW habit. After a year of scraping and scrounging for friends to shoot, it finally became apparent that my current social circle could never supply the satisfactory hornet's nest of tiny planes.
I'd known about the Katie O'Brien's Sunday flight club for some time, but have had bad experiences with "gamers" in the wild, so kept my distance. Happily, the "Ne'er Do Wells" group turns out to be a pretty decent bunch of geeks. They know their planes, they love their hobby, and most importantly: they have a great attitude about the game. "Watch your ace pilot explode and die instantly with a smile" seems to be the club motto.

The house rules they use make sense, keep the game moving and allow for some fun situations. Their pilot "character" sheets and veteran point system gives players something to work for and look forward to. It also keeps you from flying a plane to the bitter end, which can make for overlong games.

They were interested in hearing my suggestions, even though they'd just met me, out of a love for the game and desire to further improve the experience.

It's a welcoming crew, very open to nooobs. Santos, a young bar employee, and his friend, both having never played, seamlessly joined us after some quick coaching from Scott (from the Aerodrome).

I could go on, and probably will in weeks to come. So long as the wife lets me disappear for a few hours every sunday (except the 3rd Sunday of the month, when they play across town) I know I'll be at Katie O'Brien's trying my damndest to shoot these fine people out of the sky.

-Joe

Peter_S
01-04-2010, 13:54
Joe-

Would they/you be interested in posting some of these campaign materials on this site? I would be interested in seeing how this would be configured. I am new here, so please excuse/redirect me if this is all already posted elsewhere.

Peter (in Eugene)

Rum Demon
01-04-2010, 14:48
No worries, Peter. They have some beautiful PRINTED material, with all the rules written up nicely. Unfortunately there's nothing online at the moment. There was talk of printing an updated 2nd edition. I'm not sure who would helm that effort, but will make the case for posting a .pdf for the benefit of players at large.

-Joe

krolik
01-04-2010, 22:01
Hey Joe!

It was good to see you show up on Sunday. We sure had a run of explosions that day! I think it came out to 7 all told. :eek:

Belis4rius
01-05-2010, 00:45
I have always found recruitment to our hobby a very hard thing to do. I was a member of a club for some 20 years and could count on two hands the amount of new people we introduced despite advertising, putting on exhibitions and open days etc. and on one hand the amount of people we kept.

I have moved now and despite living in a small village I only managed to get one person to try wargaming, sadly, again it was a dismal failure. I have advertised for opponents and even joined a club in the nearest town for a while, but that didn't work out as it only met on a Tuesday night which for me is out.

I have now, like Joe, simply asked some of peope to join me in a games night, if I had said wargame I wouldn't have got anyone. This has been succesful so far but I fear it will not lead to any long term gaming but fingers crossed.

So it is my conclusion that wargamers are born and not made, there may be the exception to the rule, the odd 'sleeper' but in general you either love it or couldn't care less.