PDA

View Full Version : WGF: Flight of Giants

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2009, 09:18
Here is some of the planes from Flight of Giants due out later this year. Some of them have been seen on other sites, but a few of them have not been released else where as of yet.

Enjoy...

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2009, 09:20
And three more...

Nekrodamus
08-25-2009, 10:31
We definately need more smilies! This time I need something like this one: http://www.shouted.fm/smilies/sabber.gif

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2009, 10:39
LOL, I'll put smilies on my todo list.

WilliamBarkerVC
08-25-2009, 17:31
Cool looking planes. Now if they had miniatures of those...

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2009, 21:23
Cool looking planes. Now if they had miniatures of those...

Supposed to come out some time early next year ;)

LazyEyedPsycho
09-01-2009, 22:39
Can't wait :D

Zeppelin
09-10-2009, 14:25
Come on early next year. I need a couple of those planes.

Doug
09-17-2009, 01:48
Look forward to these as well. With all the new gear comming out I am going to have to give up smoking so I can afford to pay for them, there again there are my 15mm figures which I haven't used for a long time will be up for sale!

aarondpjames
09-23-2009, 01:46
I cant wait to see the stats for the Gotha and AEG bombers. I got some Skytrek models a few years ago and I cant wait to send them into action!!

Doug
09-23-2009, 03:49
Gudday aaroundpjames Col gave me some stats for using the Gotha bomber from Skytrex they should be in the hobby room as I cannot remember them of had. I am awating my model from Skytrex then its of to the games table.

aarondpjames
09-23-2009, 06:17
I am awating my model from Skytrex then its of to the games table.

Afternoon Doug,

You'll like the Skytrex minitures, especialy the large bombers. They are very sturdy, being made of solid "White metal/lead" (not sure of the exact term for it) However, I would reconmend replacing the wing struts and undercarage support with brass rod just to make it stronger. The last thing you want is to spend all that time painting it up and have the lead wing strut crumple and ruin you model.:eek:

Doug
09-24-2009, 03:44
Thanks aaroundpjames for the information on the Skytrex Gotha I will use the brass rods as you surggest!

bsmith13
09-25-2009, 05:40
Those look amazing! Since these planes are so much bigger than fighters, are the airplane cards going to be bigger than the standard size?

Oberst Hajj
09-25-2009, 07:50
I believe they are going to be the size of the hard balloon cards that came in Burning Drachens.

aarondpjames
09-26-2009, 09:00
I found some cards for the Gotha G.IV and Ilja Muromec V and have added them into the files section.........bring on the Giants!!!

AlgyLacey
10-02-2009, 06:26
A Felixtowe is all very well but we need a Vimy in there and a Handley Page type O.

Potenza
11-06-2009, 11:12
Any word when Flight of Giants will be out?

Oberst Hajj
11-06-2009, 16:05
I've not heard any thing, I'll see if my source can help me out.

Oberst Hajj
11-10-2009, 07:49
Okay, my source at Fantasy Flight games just informed me they have not solicited this expansion yet... so it is over 3 months away right now.

The Blue Baron
11-10-2009, 08:01
More time to buy all the other stuff I don't have...

Oberst Hajj
11-10-2009, 08:20
But I have all the other WWI stuff... so I need more things to buy now! lol

The Blue Baron
11-11-2009, 03:00
I am still missing a lot of the WW1 planes and all the WW2 stuff...

Evzone
11-11-2009, 05:55
We need those big birds!

I've started reading Neil Hanson's history of the air war over the U.K. during the Great War called 'First Blitz' (tag line; The Secret German Plan to raze London to the ground 1918').

The first few chapters are proving to be good entertaimnet so I thoroughly recommend the book and press for those bombers so we can get playing!!

The Blue Baron
11-11-2009, 06:09
Yesterday I watched Hell's Angels. The final sortie from that movie is the first thing I will play when I have my "big birds":

Evzone
11-11-2009, 06:50
Yesterday I watched Hell's Angels. The final sortie from that movie is the first thing I will play when I have my "big birds":

Good call...!!

Also, that scene from the Red Baron film, where Jasta 11 attacks the HP 0/400 formation.

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2010, 07:10
Andrea was nice enough to send me artwork for the cover of the up coming Flight of Giants boxed set. Enjoy!

SoldierSteve
01-15-2010, 07:13
Looks brilliant. Do you know when it's due to be released?

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2010, 07:24
My contact at Fantasy Flight Games said that it is not in their system yet, which usually means it is at least 3 months out from them getting it.

afilter
01-15-2010, 08:33
Well, since minis are usually about a year or more behind box sets I think I see a need on the horizon to finally model some WWI planes. ;)

Grinneth42
01-15-2010, 09:15
We're going to need a bigger table...

Naharaht
01-15-2010, 11:20
Will there be any British Handley Page aircraft and a Russian Ilya Mourometz in the 'flight of Giants box?

Pseudotheist
01-15-2010, 11:42
Will there be any British Handley Page aircraft and a Russian Ilya Mourometz in the 'flight of Giants box?
Yes and no.

Plane list:
Caproni Ca 3 Tenente Casimiro Buttini, Sergente Luigi Remitti 3a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
Caproni Ca 3 Capitano Guido Taramelli 1a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
Caproni Ca 3 - CEP 115 Aviaton Militaire
Friedrichshafen G.III Leutnant der Reserve Otto Georg, Hauptmann Fritz Eckstein, Leutnant Leo Gerhard von Heydebreck Bogohl 5/Bosta 6 Luftstreitkräfte
Friedrichshafen G.III Hauptmann Pfeifer, Leutnant Langerfeld, Leutnant Schmidt Bogohl 2 Luftstreitkräfte
Friedrichshafen G.III - 4ème Escadrille d'observation Aviaton Militaire
Gotha G.V Oberleutnant Walter Aschoff, Leutnant Kollerg, Vizefeldwebel Mayer Kagohl 3/Kasta 17 Luftstreitkräfte
Gotha G.V Leutnant von Korff, Leutnant von Zedlitz, Gefreiter Speyer Kagohl 3 Luftstreitkräfte
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI Hauptmann Arthur Schoeller Riesenflieger-Abteilung 501 Luftstreitkräfte
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI Hauptmann Erich Schilling Riesenflugzeug-Abteilung 500 Luftstreitkräfte
Caproni Ca 42 Maggiore Luigi Carnevale, Sottotenente Alessandro Borrello 181a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
Caproni Ca 42 Capitano Cola Leone De Renzis, Sergente Mario Occa 182a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
Curtiss H.16 - Lough Foyle Naval Air Station United States Naval Air Service
Felixstowe F.2A Flight Commander Gerald E. Livock, Flight Commander Robert Leckie Felixstowe Naval Air Station Royal Air Force
Handley Page O/400 Flight Lieutenant E. R. Barker, Flight Sub-Lieutenant F. H. Hudson 7 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service
Handley Page O/400 Captain Ross MacPherson Smith 1 Squadron Australian Flying Corps

re: Ilya Mourometz

Well I tried to fit it into the set. But they were usually far too slow. The only one that could fit was the quite mino arnd undocumented Ilya Mourometz E. In the end I have been asked to delay it to the future.

green dragon
01-16-2010, 05:49
Here are a couple photos of the Skytrex Gotha GV we use (a pair actually!). Bombers definately add to the game scenarios. We are working on night games now.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2528

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2530

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=115&pictureid=2537

Grinneth42
01-16-2010, 06:39
Here are a couple photos of the Skytrex Gotha GV we use (a pair actually!). Bombers definately add to the game scenarios. We are working on night games now.

Could you define 'working on night games"? I'm assuming that you mean night based scenarios? What changes are you making to the mission in this case?

Pseudotheist
01-16-2010, 07:04
What size table do you play on?
And how do you reach the middle?

afilter
01-16-2010, 07:23
Those look great! I will be all over the WWI models once the new set is released. I know my LGS stocks many skytrek models.

Dan-Sam
01-16-2010, 08:28
I am still sitting with my mouth open. The cover picture looks great. I think this will be the end of "kitchentableplaying" - we will have to use a table for ping-pong :) Great that it is in green colour ;)

green dragon
01-16-2010, 09:25
We play on a 5x8 foot table, with a Hotz Matz European Battlefields ground cloth. Reaching in to the middle isn't at all difficult, though we do have to move around the table quite a bit.

I am anxious to see how the Giants deck for the Gotha matches up with the one we use. It came off of the Nexus Yahoo Group, and it's pretty basic; up, down, left, right. We do allow the use of a Kurvensturtz, a slow diving turn, but beyond that it doesn't move very fast. Even so, the Gotha is a tough bird, and takes a lot of concentrated fire to bring it down.

So far all of our bombing raids have been daylight. But we are planning a night raid game where the bomber player plots a straight line move until he is spotted. Until then, his plane is not on the table. The fighters have to try to find it. Until they are within 12" and two altitude levels of the bomber, they can't see it. And, if maneuvers take them out of that range, they lose sight of it. The game pretty much necessitates a small number of players...two attackers at the most and one bomber. An impartial referee would be needed to take measurements while the players turn their backs. We haven't really tried it yet as we usually have 7 to 9 players per night, and noone wants to sit out! Hopefully soon we'll give it a go.

Evzone
01-16-2010, 11:42
Fantastic....!

We have a small WoW group at work who utilise a tiny meeting room at lunch times....we're gonna need a bigger room and table ...can't wait for the new box set, especially after reading about the exploits of the German bomber squadrons during WW1.

Thank you!

We play on a 5x8 foot table, with a Hotz Matz European Battlefields ground cloth. Reaching in to the middle isn't at all difficult, though we do have to move around the table quite a bit.

I am anxious to see how the Giants deck for the Gotha matches up with the one we use. It came off of the Nexus Yahoo Group, and it's pretty basic; up, down, left, right. We do allow the use of a Kurvensturtz, a slow diving turn, but beyond that it doesn't move very fast. Even so, the Gotha is a tough bird, and takes a lot of concentrated fire to bring it down.

So far all of our bombing raids have been daylight. But we are planning a night raid game where the bomber player plots a straight line move until he is spotted. Until then, his plane is not on the table. The fighters have to try to find it. Until they are within 12" and two altitude levels of the bomber, they can't see it. And, if maneuvers take them out of that range, they lose sight of it. The game pretty much necessitates a small number of players...two attackers at the most and one bomber. An impartial referee would be needed to take measurements while the players turn their backs. We haven't really tried it yet as we usually have 7 to 9 players per night, and noone wants to sit out! Hopefully soon we'll give it a go.

Scoop
01-19-2010, 03:49
Have a look at these beauties as well:

http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/preview/Gig2.JPG

http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/preview/Gig1.JPG

Any idea how big those cards are going to be?

Grinneth42
01-19-2010, 05:41
Have a look at these beauties as well:

Any idea how big those cards are going to be?

Those look really good... and by really good, I mean deadly!
This might not be the most 'scientific', but it seems (based on the size of the text and graphics) that the cards are going to be about the same as two standard cards? Anyone have confirmation on this?

Pseudotheist
01-19-2010, 06:14
This might not be the most 'scientific', but it seems (based on the size of the text and graphics) that the cards are going to be about the same as two standard cards? Anyone have confirmation on this?

Looks like they'll be just a little bigger than that:
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic627808_md.jpg

Also, gotta say, these firing arcs are very busy; I'm sure there won't be any confusion during play...

Any idea what the blue dots are for?

Oberst Hajj
01-19-2010, 07:47
Do we know if this are official mock ups?

I would say the blue dots are for measuring line of sight and such. Red dots are for measuring rang for each gun (note that there is a red dot right under the blue one).

http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/preview/Gig1.JPG

In the above image I would say that the fire arc from the first red dot (starting at the nose and working are way back) covers the large ~240 degree arc and is B damage.

The semi circle marked A damage is where both the front guns can draw line of site. The quarter circle marked B damage is a blind spot for the 2nd red dot, so only one gun is firing on a plane there.

So, it looks like instead of each gun firing on different targets, they combine fire when possible.

The arcs in the back are a little more confusing. Again starting at the front of the plane, the red dot under the blue one give the very large rear arc like we are used to seeing, probably at A damage. The three small areas marked B are blind spots for the rear upper deck gun (first red dot).

Finally, the black line is the blind spot for the rear upper deck gun.

My thoughts at least. Oh, and this assumes since the cards are so much larger, you measure to and from the plane and not the base(card). So, there could be another planes base sitting in those blind spots with out overlapping.

And for those wanting a more detailed look of the plane, check this out (http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/december/aviation/Felixstowe.htm).

Pseudotheist
01-19-2010, 08:13
I interpret this completely differently.

I believe the rear has 2 narrow arc B-firing machine guns (one to each side, from the 2 off-center red dots behind the wings), and a third wide-arc b-firing machine gun (probably undermounted, from the red dot hidden by the blue), with a blind spot where the black section of the firing arc is. Presumably the blind spot would only be for planes at a higher elevation...

Now, the front gets significantly more confusing. There's clearly an A and a B arc. It looks like the A arc is the 200 degree arc. So, is there also a 100 degree B arc covering the same area, but on the left side only? And what's up with the 90 degree arc from the dot further back? It appears to be unlabeled. Or, is the A arc supposed to connect to that line? If I HAD to interpret this, without any info from additional rules, or knowledge of this plane, I'd say that the front dot has a right and a left 100 degree B-firing arc, and the rear dot has a 180 degree A-firing arc.

But I really have no idea what it's supposed to mean. And the fact that you have a completely different interpretation than I do simply proves my original point.

Scoop
01-19-2010, 08:23
So I guess they might be the size of a balloon card.

By the way, found these pics on this site - so the cards should be official:

http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/index.php

Oberst Hajj
01-19-2010, 08:45
I interpret this completely differently.

I believe the rear has 2 narrow arc B-firing machine guns (one to each side, from the 2 off-center red dots behind the wings), and a third wide-arc b-firing machine gun (probably undermounted, from the red dot hidden by the blue), with a blind spot where the black section of the firing arc is. Presumably the blind spot would only be for planes at a higher elevation...

This is a sea plane, so the red dot covered by the blue one is definitely a top mounted gun as seen in this photo:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/december/aviation/Felixstowe/f2a_44.jpg

I could see your point about the two narrow B firing arcs, but when why have that second B marker over on the right??

Now, the front gets significantly more confusing. There's clearly an A and a B arc. It looks like the A arc is the 200 degree arc. So, is there also a 100 degree B arc covering the same area, but on the left side only? And what's up with the 90 degree arc from the dot further back? It appears to be unlabeled. Or, is the A arc supposed to connect to that line? If I HAD to interpret this, without any info from additional rules, or knowledge of this plane, I'd say that the front dot has a right and a left 100 degree B-firing arc, and the rear dot has a 180 degree A-firing arc.

I could also conclude that the very front gun is A damage and its arc is covered by the two red lines that exit from its red dot. The 2nd front gun further back is B damage and uses the 90 degree arc to the left. This way of thinking ignores the red lines forming the circles, which is most likely the case as the normal fighter bases have the black line forming the circle that we ignore on them. I would then have to assume that he reversed the colors of those lines to show the blind spot in the rear.

This all would change my thinking on the rear guns to this:

Each side dorsal gun has the narrow B damage arcs to either side like you said. The upper deck gun is also B damage but covers the entire large rear arc minus the blind spot shown in black.

That probably makes a lot more sense! lol

I thought since Andrea did not send one of these images to me, that maybe these were some house rules work that Merlin did... but I see he says they did in fact come from Andrea.

Pseudotheist
01-19-2010, 09:00
This is a sea plane, so the red dot covered by the blue one is definitely a top mounted gun as seen in this photo:
Where do you get those great pictures?!!? I was gonna say a little research showed that it was a flying boat, so undermounted guns would be "unlikely", but I just spent the last half-hour trying to track down a picture I briefly passed by with a good view of the front guns. I believe it showed 2 gunnery turrets side by side at the cockpit, which would explain left/right firing arcs.

But if the 90 degree arc is the B-firing gun, the arc is grossly mislabelled...

Oberst Hajj
01-19-2010, 09:05
By Google skills are beyond Godly. LOL

Pseudotheist
01-20-2010, 05:19
BTW, it's official, the blue dots are center and tailing. What I would've guessed...

With single engine plane the red dot was for firing, tailing, distances and everything. Now you have a red dot for each firing cone, so there is a blue dot instead to m,ark the center of the plane. And another on the tail for when the plane is tailed.

The Blue Baron
01-21-2010, 23:56
I found some nice new pics on BGG:
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic646733_md.jpg
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic633485_md.jpg
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic627809_md.jpg

warrenn
01-22-2010, 12:30
hey blue baron what is bgg??

Pseudotheist
01-22-2010, 12:52
hey blue baron what is bgg??
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

A great site for all things board-gamey...

Scoop
02-07-2010, 04:18
Announcement, announcement:

Available in Germany NOW:

http://www.madmansmagic.de/produkte/Wings_of_War/WWI_Basisspiele__Erweiterungen/flight_of_the_giants.php

That's a reason to contact my local dealer on a sunday ;)

Scoop
02-07-2010, 04:27
It sais:

"Take off and take over control of a bomber (can't really translate "Grosskampfflieger").

Flight of the Giants is a supplement for WWI Wings of War. Mulitengine [bombers] will be introduced, which stroke fear and terror with their incredible range. The set contains detailed rules and new rules for bombing.

To use this supplement you need an WoW game which contains the basic rules and some single engine planes, such as Famous Aces, Watch Your Back!, Burning Drachens or the Wings of War WWI Miniatures Deluxe Set.

Contents:
140 cards
8 plane cards
8 plane overview cards
6 game maps/boards/whatever [? - guess they mean the control panels]
counters"

Potenza
02-07-2010, 17:03
Very nice, Flight of Giants is top of my list. It's not on Fantasy Flight Games site yet. Anyone know when it comes to the States?

Papavader
02-07-2010, 23:48
Announcement, announcement:

Available in Germany NOW:

http://www.madmansmagic.de/produkte/Wings_of_War/WWI_Basisspiele__Erweiterungen/flight_of_the_giants.php

That's a reason to contact my local dealer on a sunday ;)

Hi did you know a release day for it in Germany?
It is not to see on the "Mad Man's Magic" Site.
Or been I blind :rolleyes:

MfG

Andreas

Scoop
02-08-2010, 02:55
No date, but a price. The new WWII planes can also be seen - without a price. Still waiting for my local dealer to reply to my mail. Then I can give you more informations.

The Blue Baron
02-08-2010, 04:47
Just got the following mail from MMM (German distributor):

"Hallo Herr XXX,

laut Angaben des Herstellers befindet sich das Spiel im Druck und wird
Anfang April im Einzelhandel erhältlich sein.

Viele Grüße,

i.A. Tobias Zell
Mad Man's Magic GmbH"

The game is in press and will be available April 2010.

SoldierSteve
02-08-2010, 04:54
That's good news. It means I've got some time to save the money and convince the wife that I NEED IT!

Scoop
02-08-2010, 08:10
Och nö - anway, April is just two months away, let's hope they hurry up with the balloons. Still no answer from my dealer.

Papavader
02-08-2010, 08:14
Just got the following mail from MMM (German distributor):

"Hallo Herr XXX,

laut Angaben des Herstellers befindet sich das Spiel im Druck und wird
Anfang April im Einzelhandel erhältlich sein.

Viele Grüße,

i.A. Tobias Zell
Mad Man's Magic GmbH"

The game is in press and will be available April 2010.

Very good news,...:D

I'm looking forward for it ... :)

Thanks for that!

MfG

Andreas

afilter
02-08-2010, 12:16
So, will they actually do a large plane card?

Oberst Hajj
02-08-2010, 12:33
Yes, the cards are going to be larger then the current plane cards.

Lowell Throttle
02-08-2010, 14:09
waiting with baited breath on FOTG...the miniatures hopefully will be equally
wonderful.

sparty
02-08-2010, 17:22
Man one of these suckers is going to mess you up if you're not paying attention to where you're flying. Particularly with a formation protecting it!!

There are going to be some epic battles.

I'd love to see a balloon sized card series representing various targets (factory, HQ, depot, barracks, etc.)

Scoop
02-09-2010, 03:35
I'd love to see a balloon sized card series representing various targets (factory, HQ, depot, barracks, etc.)

NICE! Good idea.

We flew a mission with a bomber during our campaign. That thing was going to hell. The bombs hit but the bomber was shot down afterwards thanks to poor protection. Those big birds are easy to hit, while they can't reach you with their guns. Looking forwards to the new rules as well.

Jager
02-10-2010, 14:01
It would closely translate as Large (Big) Battle Flyer
Jager

[QUOTE=Scoop;9800]It sais:

"Take off and take over control of a bomber (can't really translate "Grosskampfflieger").

QUOTE]

Potenza
02-12-2010, 19:18
Flight of Giants is on Fantasy Flight Games site see link below. It will be on my list to buy at Historicon.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=24&esem=2&esum=136

Dorb
02-14-2010, 14:04
Fantasy Flight website had updated info including a picture of the box it ships in and very little else.

sparty
02-14-2010, 14:28
Their status is "Shipping from manufacturer" which according to them means 4-6 weeks to get to distributors from that point.

There's hope we may see this prior to Summer.

Gauntlet
02-14-2010, 17:11
LIke Evzone has mentioned before in this thread - For anyone interested in the German bombing raids on England during WW1 I'd thoroughly recommend 'First Blitz' by Neil Hanson. As my interest is more in the war over France I'd thought I might struggle to get through the 500+ pages but it proved to be an enthralling read.

sparty
02-14-2010, 19:37
I've looked at that book more times than I care to admit, but never pulled the trigger and bought it. I'll definitely give it a fifteenth look now though.

Ritterton
02-15-2010, 22:52
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z175/ritterton/OldPostCards/ResizedZeppBomber.jpg

Just can't wait to try flying one of these around the table. Seems that this card is one in the production line based upon the pictures posted over from BGG

Carl_Brisgamer
02-15-2010, 23:51
LIke Evzone has mentioned before in this thread - For anyone interested in the German bombing raids on England during WW1 I'd thoroughly recommend 'First Blitz' by Neil Hanson. As my interest is more in the war over France I'd thought I might struggle to get through the 500+ pages but it proved to be an enthralling read.

Good book, but there are glaring editing errors in Chapter 1 which almost put me off. The first was on page 6 when the author talks about German ace 'Max Boelcke'. I wonder if he meant Max Immelmann or Oswald Boelcke? Methinks the latter.

The second is at the bottom of page 9, where it appears the author got his world wars mixed up when he mentions the death of a certain general in a plane crash. This general is mentioned again in the Epilogue (p.348) in the correct context. Have a look if you've got the book.

Despite these hiccups it was a good read. The Gotha crews were very brave airmen, even by the standards of the day. I subsequently checked many of the other 'facts' stated by the author and could not find any other glaring errors.

Cheers,

Carl.

Potenza
02-21-2010, 09:06
I was looking around on Ebay & found an auction for a pre-order of Flight of Giants. The interesting part is the auction lists May as when it will be out. If it makes it out in May for me that will make up for Balloon Busters being pushed back so far. See the link for the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINGS-OF-WAR-FLIGHT-OF-GIANTS-EXPANSION_W0QQitemZ380208216231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58862cf8a7

The Blue Baron
02-24-2010, 04:12
And here you can preorder it:
Spiele-Offensive (http://www.spiele-offensive.de/Spiel/Wings-of-War-I-Flight-of-the-Giants-1008617.html)
The price is 15 Euro and they say that it will be availableat the end of march.

Potenza
02-24-2010, 04:20
I really wanted Balloon Busters, but Flight of Giants are top of my list now. To bad it won't be out in time for me to pick it up at Cold Wars

Naharaht
02-24-2010, 05:53
So it is the end of March in Germany. How long before it reaches the United Kingdom? We are still waiting for the WW2 De-luxe boxes, which have been available elsewhere for months.

PAV
02-25-2010, 02:51
News from the Italian web-shops:

(ITA) Questo Prodotto sarà in magazzino da venerdì 30 aprile, 2010.
(EN) This product will be in stock on Friday 30 April, 2010.

Source: http://giochinscatola.it/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7995&language=en

Have a nice fly!

Oberst Hajj
03-11-2010, 19:17
FFG has the boxed set priced at $34.95, not sure that I've seen the US price listed before.

Voss
03-13-2010, 04:29
Wings of War: Flight of the Giants Expansion

Expected Release: Spring 2010. Date subject to change.

Pre-order $23.99

CoolStuffInc.com

I have my Ballon Buster sets on order from them as well.

Ritterton
03-15-2010, 19:31
:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep3-tE_zvI

Just thought I would pass this link along of a "miniature" Gotha R/C model. Wow.

Volant Gun
03-15-2010, 22:21
Like the other players my card table days will be over. I live in an apartment and my space is a bit limited. A folding Ping Pong table may do the trick. I can move some of clothes and store in my bedroom closet. I'm not sure about the cover though. I need something that covers the whole table.

Carl_Brisgamer
03-16-2010, 04:46
:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep3-tE_zvI

Just thought I would pass this link along of a "miniature" Gotha R/C model. Wow.

That is an amazing model! Imagine the tears if you pranged it.

Bluedevil
03-26-2010, 00:09
I've pre-ordered this ... And just got word that it will be in the shop end of April ( instead of initially promised end of march :( )

Ah well...It will come ...eventually...

The Blue Baron
03-26-2010, 01:54
I also heard end of April but since I suppose that Alex and I ordered in the same shop this is no suprise.

Bluedevil
03-26-2010, 03:41
The way days are flying lately it will be end of april before we know it... :p
Let's hope they don't postpone it further :rolleyes:

Propjockey53
05-15-2010, 12:33
Well its May 15th 2010!!! When is this comiing out???

Oberst Hajj
05-15-2010, 15:56
An update from Andrea on the 10th of May:

I can not say anything about English language releases, that's a different
process, and that you can check on FFG's site.

Anyway, in the Old Continent I'd asy any second now. In Italy we are waiting for
WW2 Airplane Pack Series 2 (miniatures), "Flight of the Giants" (WW1 bombers),
"Hit & Run" and "Crossfire" (WW1 boosters), "Last Biplanes" and "Revolution in
the Sky" (WW2 boosters) withion May, to redistribute them in a week or two all
over Europe. I guess that a reprint of the game mats will come together with
them.

WW1 Airplane Pack Series 4 (miniatures) should be there in June instead.

The WW1 Deluxe Set is expected in July.

All the best,

Andrea

Flying Officer Kyte
05-16-2010, 08:45
An update from Andrea on the 10th of May:

Which June?
Rob.:rolleyes:

Oberst Hajj
05-16-2010, 09:09
His update was from last week, so this June.

Bluedevil
05-17-2010, 03:35
Well first it was going to be april, then end of may now it is begin june...This definitely is the last time I pre-order something...:mad:
I don't understand how it can be so difficult for a big company to get their release date's straight.

As I customer I am very , very pissed now :mad:.

Steve
05-17-2010, 09:47
I have been watching the FFG site and they just updated it after 3 months to say that Flight of the Giants and the card expansions are now "on the boat" rather than "at the factory". FFG has been rather slow to update their site with news for Wings of War. Watching these forums and the Wings of war Nexus Yahoo Group is much more informative.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2010, 10:44
That is good news indeed. I will have to start saving my pension money again.
Rob.

Ducalutra
06-06-2010, 09:14
Has anyone seen a preview of the movement deck for the Bombers?

Oberst Hajj
06-06-2010, 09:39
I've not seen one yet... let me see what I can do ;)

guzzoid
06-09-2010, 18:59
Any updates? Do they have them in Italy yet?

Ducalutra
06-11-2010, 02:13
Any updates? Do they have them in Italy yet?

Not yet.
But as soon as I can lay hand on my box, I'll post pics of everything inside :-)

guzzoid
06-11-2010, 04:39
(drool)

guzzoid
06-13-2010, 20:27
(still drooling like that Celtic player):p

Rick57
06-14-2010, 04:52
They are very nice indeed. Real bombers. Can't wait.

guzzoid
06-14-2010, 09:20
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=4013

This is a managing card, whatever that is. This is going to be sooooo cooooool!

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/476434/gyi0060706133.jpg

Get this guy his FOTG now! :)

Ducalutra
06-14-2010, 09:27
From the card one might think the Zeppellin is going to have FIVE machine guns!! Perhaps a B in front and two A on the sides.
That is gong to be tough!

guzzoid
06-14-2010, 09:39
From the card one might think the Zeppellin is going to have FIVE machine guns!! Perhaps a B in front and two A on the sides.
That is gong to be tough!

I think you are right, or B,B,B and an A in the rear?

Ducalutra
06-14-2010, 09:46
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=4013

If you look at the image (assuming it's the card to be released, and not an unofficial piece), the double machine guns are on the sides, pointed backward. I'd say A-A and B in front.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-14-2010, 10:45
If you look at the image (assuming it's the card to be released, and not an unofficial piece), the double machine guns are on the sides, pointed backward. I'd say A-A and B in front.

Looks that way to me too.
Rob.

usmc1855
06-16-2010, 06:59
Do we know what damage decks will be released with Flight of the Giants?

krolik
06-16-2010, 18:37
Do we know what damage decks will be released with Flight of the Giants?

E & F decks.

:D

Just kidding.

Oberst Hajj
06-16-2010, 23:45
On a related not, Andrea sent me some scans of the draft maneuver cards for the Giants... these may not be what actually went to press.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=4014

Ducalutra
06-16-2010, 23:59
I say! Pretty fast, aren't they?

Ducalutra
06-17-2010, 03:48
@ Col. Hajj:
I see you edited my post: did I write something wrong?

Oberst Hajj
06-17-2010, 03:57
No, not at all. I just linked your image to one here on the site... some of us behind firewalls can't load the images from BBG.

Ducalutra
06-17-2010, 03:58
I see :)
Since we are on subject: how do I post a thumbnail of a pic? When I post pics they are sometimes very big, and I wouldn't like to "engulf" the thread..

Oberst Hajj
06-17-2010, 04:54
All images are re-sized by the site so that the longest side is 800 px or less. If you attach the image instead of putting it inline, it will give a thumbnail and people will be required to click on it to open or save it.

Rum Demon
06-17-2010, 08:06
I say! Pretty fast, aren't they?

I'd imagine the short length of the straight is to counteract the larger size of the bomber card.

Angiolillo
06-17-2010, 08:42
Perfectly true! Some of the bomber are longer, and since you move of the lenght of the plane + the lenght of the arrow, the arrow has to be shorter.

There is one damage deck in the box, and it is a B one since most of the machineguns on board of these planes are single ones (I mean, one for each arc of fire). There are exceptions, but you have plenty of A decks already (and the optional rule of drawing 2 B cards instead than one A), so giving more maneuvre decks was preferred to the option of giving another A deck.

flash
06-17-2010, 11:52
Can't wait ....this is going to be an expensive summer...and then the minis !

Galland
06-17-2010, 12:18
I'd imagine the short length of the straight is to counteract the larger size of the bomber card.

Good point.
It has all sense...

Its look something hard to take down...

usmc1855
06-17-2010, 19:16
Perfectly true! Some of the bomber are longer, and since you move of the lenght of the plane + the lenght of the arrow, the arrow has to be shorter.

There is one damage deck in the box, and it is a B one since most of the machineguns on board of these planes are single ones (I mean, one for each arc of fire). There are exceptions, but you have plenty of A decks already (and the optional rule of drawing 2 B cards instead than one A), so giving more maneuvre decks was preferred to the option of giving another A deck.

'B' deck it is then.

Thank you!

csadn
06-17-2010, 23:00
On a related not, Andrea sent me some scans of the draft maneuver cards for the Giants... these may not be what actually went to press.

Note to self: Allow much time to play game if bomber is involved -- slower than a moose in molasses, and a cubic-buttload of hit points....

This is going to be the _WoW_ equivalent of _OGRE_, isn't it? :)

krolik
06-18-2010, 23:30
In Ogre you didn't have the explode card though.:D

csadn
06-19-2010, 22:59
In Ogre you didn't have the explode card though.:D

Depends on whether or not one used the "Critical hit" optional rules. (Or the OGRE "suicide overload".... :P )

And, of course, some of us don't use the BOOM card.... ;)

Air Battle Mgr
06-24-2010, 03:16
I anxiously await any pics from our European counterparts once you have the game in hand.

Thank you.

Timmy

David Kuijt
06-24-2010, 12:44
Fantasy Flight Games has just updated their "Upcoming" web page to list Flight of the Giants as "Shipping Now:"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

From their webpage:

The product is being shipped from the FFG warehouse in Minnesota to stores and distributors. This process takes between 7-10 days for the US, or a few days longer in Canada.

I've started holding my breath.

Niemandsland
06-28-2010, 05:16
Nexus Games say that FoG is now available.

http://www.nexusgames.com/read.asp?id=3702

Air Battle Mgr
06-28-2010, 05:32
I hope someone can upload photos of the game gear once they have a FotG as I won't be off vacation for another week.

Timmy

WilliamBarkerVC
06-28-2010, 08:58
Well as soon as I get home today I will be calling my local shop to order this. Very exciting - just bring on the minis now, even two per side would be good enough :)

Oberst Hajj
06-29-2010, 22:00
I stole these images from Air Battle Mgr's gallery from a recent visit to FFG Game Center. Thanks man!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4093

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4092

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4091

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4090

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4085

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4084

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4083

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4082

The plane cards look smaller then what I thought they would be... or are the movement cards larger??

NeilCFord
06-30-2010, 01:40
It looks like there are two sizes of bombers from the shot of them spread over the counter.

A Big Thanks to Timmy for posting the pictures.

- Neil.

Galland
06-30-2010, 05:33
NICE!!

6 movement decks
8 models in 2 separate groups, large and extra large...

multiple motor rules I preusme...

WilliamBarkerVC
06-30-2010, 06:33
Really nice looking, thanks for the preview pics! Put in my order yesterday with my local shop.

Air Battle Mgr
06-30-2010, 06:52
There are two different bomber sized cards.

Maneuver cards are standard size.

Each card is double sided with a different bomber on each side. :)

Same applies for the control cards that have the corresponding bomber control on the other side.

There are also different rules for different bomber firing arcs if they have overlapping fields of fire.

My favorite part is the crew movement tokens so your crfew members can climb out on a the wing to get to a different part of the aircraft.:cool:

GREAT EXPANSION!

Timmy

Air Battle Mgr
06-30-2010, 07:01
If you can see from the pictures there is a blue dot for each aircraft that represents the center of the plane for determing if you left the table.

There are also multiple red dots to determine different firing ranges:eek: -- great thinking Andrea!

I have become addicted to palying with minis but this will make an exception.

I am especially looking forward to harrassing these with a maneuvarable aircraft.

It would appear though that you can't just take out the rear gunner and restrict firing arcs as you can move your crewmembers around the plane.

timmy

Galland
06-30-2010, 07:02
I think that Im buing 1 right now!

Air Battle Mgr
06-30-2010, 11:25
I am picking up 2 Thursday directly at Fantasy Flight Games HQ:D

Air Battle Mgr
06-30-2010, 11:29
I was a little surprised by the smaller control boards not sure if I will warm up to the smaller board or not.

I am betting that after a while I will appreciate the added game space it affords.

Timmy

NeilCFord
06-30-2010, 13:09
I like the look of the new control boards, definitely free up table space.

- Neil.

Naharaht
06-30-2010, 15:47
So how long before these reach the shops? It sounds that the release policy is working like buses, nothing for a long time and then many come together.

Jmac
06-30-2010, 16:28
So how long before these reach the shops? It sounds that the release policy is working like buses, nothing for a long time and then many come together.

I sent an E-Mail to Coolstuffinc.com the other day asking this very question. They said it was being shipped from the distrubutor on July 6 and that they would have it on July 7.

Air Battle Mgr
06-30-2010, 20:36
LGS said they can order July 1

Ritterton
07-02-2010, 19:27
My shop had mine in to where I got it today. Can't wait to play!

But, dang these birds move slow...wow...would take like twenty turns to get across the table...

Air Battle Mgr
07-03-2010, 21:26
As I punched out my plane cards, my wife asked why that one is off kilter. Sure enough, a number of the cards are pre-cut too short. The Zeppelin is the most notable as the name is cut-off.

Anyone else have a set cut this way -- or am I just unlucky? [I am usually unlucky]

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow to demonstrate.

Timmy

P.S. I apologize to the COL for starting a separate thread and then realized this is probably the thread to continue it on.

Ritterton
07-03-2010, 21:33
Suspect you have a set that should be reported to FFG and replaced by them.

Air Battle Mgr
07-03-2010, 21:55
Suspect you have a set that should be reported to FFG and replaced by them.

The ironic thing of this is I bought the first set sold at the FFG Event center at their HQ in Roseville. As a superfan of this game and FFG in general, I can't complain when this is the first product I have with a defect.

Timmy

Rollout
07-05-2010, 21:22
My FLGS, Great Hall Games, had these on the shelf just in time for the weekend. I picked up a copy and have already broken most of it out.

The photos in the previous posts do a great job of showing you what you get. And what you don't. No range gauges. No basic rules. (You shouldn't need them by now!)

The control boards are smaller, which is nice. But the space is replaced with the management board for each giant—which is necessary.

The cards are very thin. I was hoping they'd have the thickness of the drachen cards. So I'm considering encapsulating mine in a laminate to give them some stiffness and so I can use grease pencils on them, if I want.

The illustrations are great and you can get quite a few planes in the air with all the maneuver decks they give you. And the booklet gives a lot of information about how to play the bombers and their unique attributes as well as several scenarios.

I'm thinking that just one giant will be a handful for anyone. Not sure if new players wouldn't be more confused by all the information they have to keep track of on the management cards.

Not to mention that the bombers are real damage sinks! The Zeppelin Strakken can take 35 hits, has four engines, and five gun positions. Looks like head-on is its weakest aspect, but very deadly if you wind up behind it!

Air Battle Mgr
07-05-2010, 21:35
Was you Zeppelin card pre-cut too short? My set was and I am wondering if this is a just a fluke occurrence ?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=4137

You can see the wing is cut a tad short on one side. I am hoping someone can confirm this is not standard before i ship it back to FFG.

thanks Timmy

Carl_Brisgamer
07-05-2010, 22:46
Not to mention that the bombers are real damage sinks! The Zeppelin Strakken can take 35 hits, has four engines, and five gun positions. Looks like head-on is its weakest aspect, but very deadly if you wind up behind it!

Bring on the flak, the natural enemy of the multi-engined bomber. Speaking of which, what is the top altitude of these giants? They might be able to fly higher than the flak can reach, but it will make it much harder to bomb accurately.

Carl.

Air Battle Mgr
07-06-2010, 00:55
Bring on the flak, the natural enemy of the multi-engined bomber. Speaking of which, what is the top altitude of these giants? They might be able to fly higher than the flak can reach, but it will make it much harder to bomb accurately.

Carl.

top altitude ranges from 6 to 13.

Timmy

Rick57
07-06-2010, 08:08

Carl.

Hmmm.

My "The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide, Aircraft of World War I, 1914-1918" says:

Service Ceiling

Gotha G.IV............................6,500m (21,325ft)
Staaken R.IV.........................3,700m (12,139ft)
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI.............3,800m (12,467ft)
Gotha G.V.............................6,500m (21,325ft)

Handley Page O/100................2,590m (8,500ft)
Handley Page O/400................2,590m (8,500ft)

Caudron R.11.........................5,950m (19,521ft)

Caproni Ca.3..........................4,500m (14,764ft)
Caproni Ca. 4.........................3,000m (9,842ft)

De Havilland DH. 10.................5,029m (16,500ft)

Sikorsky Ilya Muromets.............3,200m (10,500ft)

Von Rotherham
07-06-2010, 08:32
Does anyone have a date for when this is available in the UK?

Burt
07-06-2010, 09:37

I add my voice to Von Rotherham's cry when are we going to see them in the UK.:(

Burt

Rollout
07-06-2010, 09:54
Was you Zeppelin card pre-cut too short? My set was and I am wondering if this is a just a fluke occurrence ?

You can see the wing is cut a tad short on one side. I am hoping someone can confirm this is not standard before i ship it back to FFG.

thanks Timmy

Looks like the die for cutting the cards was misregistered. Mine came out the way they were supposed to. FFG/Nexus will probably be happy to furnish you with correct cards if you ask nicely (and especially if you return the damaged ones to them).

Air Battle Mgr
07-06-2010, 10:11
ROLLOUT

Thanks for the verification. I will be contacting FFG.

Timmy

Air Battle Mgr
07-06-2010, 10:15
Hmmm.

My "The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide, Aircraft of World War I, 1914-1918" says:

Service Ceiling

Gotha G.IV............................6,500m (21,325ft)
Staaken R.IV.........................3,700m (12,139ft)
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI.............3,800m (12,467ft)
Gotha G.V.............................6,500m (21,325ft)

Handley Page O/100................2,590m (8,500ft)
Handley Page O/400................2,590m (8,500ft)

Caudron R.11.........................5,950m (19,521ft)

Caproni Ca.3..........................4,500m (14,764ft)
Caproni Ca. 4.........................3,000m (9,842ft)

De Havilland DH. 10.................5,029m (16,500ft)

Sikorsky Ilya Muromets.............3,200m (10,500ft)

I believe Andrea has pointed on the site here before that he had to balance making this a playable game and a true simulaiton. I think judging by the popularity of this game he has got the mix right. Also, the altitude bands I believe are more of a ration than an exact number of feet or meters.

Timmy

Rick57
07-06-2010, 13:56
Timmy,

There are clubs that use a more specific altitude set of rules than that offered in WoW. It demands new hardware that happens to be in its infancy "production wise". (I've attached an image to illustrate what they look like. More finalised version go up to 20,000 ft.)

I guess something with dice or dials can also be used.

As for Andrea's mix, you're absolutely right. :)

The one thing I love about WoW is that you can do it your own way and be just as right.

Cheers,
Rick :)

Rick57
07-06-2010, 14:00
Note on the image above.

The scenario was about ground attack. Trenches and tanks were targets. The stands could represent 20,000 feet or 2,000 feet. We used 2,000 so as to be consistent with ground attacks.

:)

NeilCFord
07-06-2010, 14:19

My guess is next week or the week after. As English speaking markets are serviced by FFG, product for the UK has to come from the US I believe. It very much depends on when Esdevium's next container is due to ship. FotG wasn't on this weeks new releases, so don't expect to see it this week.

I'll see if I can get any more news on when it's likely to arrive.

- Neil.

Air Battle Mgr
07-06-2010, 16:24
By the way, with my miscut FOG Zeppelin cards Fantasy Flight Games customer service immediately put me in touch with the parts department to send me replacements.

GREAT MINNESOTA COMPANY!

Timmy

KiltedWolf
07-06-2010, 21:17
Interesting post Rick. Those flight stands remind me of the ones we used in M&Ms. I wonder how unwieldy they could get at this scale though.

Cheers,
KW

Guntruck
07-07-2010, 03:00

Heads up, English people! Leisure Games in London say they are expecting Flight of the Giants in 21st July. I'm assuming they are talking about 2010

Von Rotherham
07-07-2010, 06:34
Heads up, English people! Leisure Games in London say they are expecting Flight of the Giants in 21st July. I'm assuming they are talking about 2010

Hooray! Just in time for my birthday, but I'm off to Africa for two months on the 16th of July... Just my luck... At least I know they should be available when I return, unless they've sold out...:D

NeilCFord
07-07-2010, 06:38

Seems you beat me to one of my sources Steve ;) If the guys from LG say the 21st, then I cam be fairly certain that they've had that confirmed by Esdevium.

Will put an order in with my LGS.

- Neil.

NeilCFord
07-07-2010, 06:42
Hooray! Just in time for my birthday, but I'm off to Africa for two months on the 16th of July... Just my luck... At least I know they should be available when I return, unless they've sold out...:D

Alex

Put an order in with Leisure Games and either ask them to hold it until you return or, if there is someone who can accept the package for you, get it sent as soon as it's out. Then it will be waiting for you upon your return ;)

- Neil.

Von Rotherham
07-07-2010, 06:50
Thanks for that Neil, I think I will!

NeilCFord
07-07-2010, 06:53
I've known the guys at Leisure Games for 25 years, so I'm happy to recommend them as a reliable mail order supplier.

- Neil.

Von Rotherham
07-07-2010, 07:07
Thanks Neil, it's always good to get recomendations. I've had a look at their site but can't find the FOTG sets. I'll give it a couple of days to list them then send them an email.

Alex

NeilCFord
07-07-2010, 07:14
They usually don't list stuff on the site until it's either in or definitely confirmed to arrive. I'd give them a call or an email explaining what you're after, they will be able to take care of it for you.

- Neil.

Von Rotherham
07-07-2010, 07:17
Ok, thanks again Neil, I'll take your 25 years of experience on board. I'll drop them a line later on. Cheers again. It should be a nice pressy waiting for when I get home!

Alex

MayorJim
07-07-2010, 14:06
Just got a call today from my local hobby shop and FotG came in today. Won't be able to pick it up until probably this weekend. I hope my copy doesn't have the same issues as mentioned earlier e.g. clipped wings, off-center printing, etc. Anyone actually play this yet? Any other problems observed? I've waited about a year for this baby and can't wait to try it out. Between my new balloons, WW2 series 2 minis (they came in last week), etc. this stuff is starting to add up!

Dom S
07-07-2010, 16:02
I'll give Esdevium a call tomorrow and see if they can confirm 21st July for the UK - they still weren't sure when I spoke to 'em last week, but hopefully it's a firm date now. If so I shall see about reserving a few sets - I normally only bother with the miniatures, but frankly this one's exciting.... :D

Dom.

Pseudotheist
07-09-2010, 05:51
Got my copy last night. Yay!

But there's like a 20 page rulebook. I don't have time to read that sort of thing at home...

Anyone know if the (English) rules are posted anywhere? Fantasy Flight usually posts all of that stuff, but FoG isn't up yet...

Dom S
07-09-2010, 06:38
Just spoken to Esdevium, and they've still no firm date for the UK - "hopefully some time this month" was as precise as they had. So fingers crossed....

Flying Officer Kyte
07-09-2010, 12:45
Just spoken to Esdevium, and they've still no firm date for the UK - "hopefully some time this month" was as precise as they had. So fingers crossed....

Thanks for the info Dom. Guess we'll just have to be patient. Still we have waited this long so a bit longer will not hurt, although it isn't made any easier with other people drooling over their purchases.:(
Rob.

Dom S
07-09-2010, 14:04
Yep - I keep finding myself drawn to the Skytrex website, though....

Pseudotheist
07-11-2010, 14:50
FYI: I just put up a picture showing comparative maneuver deck speeds on "The Geek" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com):
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic761032.jpg

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but thought those of you still waiting to get your hands on this might want to see it.

BTW, the bombers look faster than they are; you have to track the trailing edge to see the actual speeds.

usmc1855
07-11-2010, 15:25
Got my copy on Friday. Been reading the rule book, and I like it! My set had no issues with the printing or cutting of the cards.

Now.... for the Miniatures to be released!

Carl_Brisgamer
07-12-2010, 05:06
Got my copy on Friday. Been reading the rule book, and I like it! My set had no issues with the printing or cutting of the cards.

No for the Miniatures to be released!

Can't wait for this one, likely another 2-3 weeks until it gets to Australian shores.

If the Hit and Run and Crossfire boosters arrived on the same shipment it would be Christmas in July!!

Cheers,

Carl.

Akosion
07-13-2010, 12:53
Many thanks to the folks who posted photos of the game and cards so far.
As I was looking over these a question popped up, and maybe it's handled in the rulebook: what's the criterion for giving a plane the "giant" treatment (the bigger card, management sheet, etc.)?
I'm thinking of multi-engined planes that are below the 20m wingspan that seems to be the cut-off for the Giants set -the AEG G.IV, the French Caudron fighter and bombers- and some single-engine seaplanes that are above the 20m limit. What would determine if they get the normal sized card or the smaller of the two Giant cards?
best regards
Aris K.

Angiolillo
07-14-2010, 00:51
The special rules, management sheets and such are especially useful when you have 3 or more crewmen, that often (not always) mean more that 2 firing arcs. They can also be useful when the same rewman can have several duties and positions (switch from a machinegun to the other, switch from a weapon to an engine to be repaired and such).
The choice between a bigger card and a regular one should be just based on wingspan. For now, up to 15 meters is a regular card and 20+ meters - as you correctly noticed - is a double one. There has been no need to mark a more precise bonduary - we will when it will be useful for new releases, I think that the switch wiull be made to have as many 2-seaters as possible on the single cards and as many as 3+ crewmen planes on the larger one. But just choosing a limit wingspan and going on that basis.

Akosion
07-14-2010, 09:21
Andrea, thank you for the very complete answer.
I expect I'll understand the system even better when I get my hands on Flight of Giants and play a few games. :)
Aris K.

KiltedWolf
07-16-2010, 16:25
I just picked up my copy of FotG from my LGS. I must say, pretty cool! The artwork is gorgeous and the rules seem straightforward and clear. The box is nice and sturdy, like all the other expansions -- is this a European thing; US game boxes don't seem as sturdily built.

Nice deck holder in the box for the planes and maneuver cards, which won't fit in anything I have, but it is a nice touch. For some reason I thought the aircraft cards would be thicker, like the balloon cards from BD, but they are thin in keeping with the rest of the cards; they do seem to be finished with a matte finish instead of with a glossy finish. No problems with printing or the cutting of the cards. Now I REALLY can't wait to see the miniatures!!

So, I use card sleeves (and like them, though splurge for the premium style) for all my cards. Anyone have any ideas what size will fit these?

Cheers,
KW

WilliamBarkerVC
07-17-2010, 17:04
I picked up mine today, and I like everything about it, except for how thin the cards for the aircraft are. I hoped/expected they would be thick like the balloons, but oh well. They will do, as they will only be used until the minis arrive, someday...

ego
07-26-2010, 05:33
At least you were able to buy one. My shop sent me an e-mail today that they still don't have it....

Dom S
07-26-2010, 05:36
Still not in the UK either - I'm avidly watching for Esdevium emails....

Guntruck
07-26-2010, 05:44
Still not in the UK either - I'm avidly watching for Esdevium emails....

Presumably you won't be flogging these if/when they finally reach these sceptred isles?

Dom S
07-26-2010, 05:47
I will be - generally I just carry the toys, but frankly I think this one'll be of interest even to us miniaturists, so it's worth making an exception for.... ;-)

Guntruck
07-26-2010, 06:15
I will be - generally I just carry the toys, but frankly I think this one'll be of interest even to us miniaturists, so it's worth making an exception for.... ;-)

Excellent! (in my best Montgomery Burns voice). Can you put one aside for me please?

(And in answer to your question on the slip of paper in my last order you sent me - maybe, maybe not.......:D)

Dom S
07-26-2010, 06:17
Will do, and it seemed a safe guess.... ;-)

Volant Gun
07-27-2010, 15:24
I just bought the kit and I like it very much. Can't wait to have a few bomber sorties under my belt.

Volant Gun.

Carl_Brisgamer
07-27-2010, 20:07
Just picked up Flight of the Giants and all four new booster packs from my FLGS a Fastbreak Sports in Brisbane. It's terrific to get hold of new WoW, looking forward to WW1 Series 4!

Cheers,

Carl.

Galland
07-28-2010, 06:47
The pdf rules are online!

Snowy
07-28-2010, 11:16
If anyone needs dimentions they are listed on thread http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1786

KiltedWolf
07-28-2010, 11:47
Thanks Erin, I got them.

Cheers,
James

Dom S
08-11-2010, 03:14
Woohoo - Flight Of The Giants has finally reached the UK distributors - order just placed, so I'm hoping I'll have it in stock tomorrow (he says, crossing fingers....)

Dom :-)

Snowy
08-11-2010, 09:40
Glad to hear Dom.

It will be nice to see some more battle reports using the new set....hint hint!;)

Dom S
08-13-2010, 03:05
In stock now - hurrah! I have of course purloined a copy for my own use, and am pretty pleased with it. At first glance the double-sided aircraft cards were a minor disappointment, but they've picked wisely, so frankly there's no remotely plausible scenario that would want both sides of a card (eg. the Zeppelin Staaken's on the back of the Caproni Ca.4 - hard to imagine them ever being used on the same table....) There are also 2-3 cards for each type, which is good. The scenarios in the rulebook look well thought out, and the presence of a B damage deck in there is very welcome indeed. I also like the "mini" orders boards for placing your maneuver cards and damage cards - much more practical than the box-sized ones in previous sets. Definite thumbs-up here.... :)

Guntruck
08-13-2010, 03:46
Woohoo - Flight Of The Giants has finally reached the UK distributors - order just placed, so I'm hoping I'll have it in stock tomorrow (he says, crossing fingers....)

Dom :-)

At last!

S'pose you'll want some money off me then :(

My spy informs me that Leisure games in London has FoTG and the new card packs in.

Dom S
08-13-2010, 08:49
Well I guess it'd be rude of me to say no.... ;)

ego
08-14-2010, 01:35
Did I memtion that my shop told me to wait till September?

Dom S
08-14-2010, 01:37
Very odd - I thought you guys usually get stuff before the Americans, let alone us Brits (who are pretty much bottom of the food chain thanks to the odd distribution network....)

ego
08-14-2010, 02:19
Very odd - I thought you guys usually get stuff before the Americans, let alone us Brits (who are pretty much bottom of the food chain thanks to the odd distribution network....)

Well, just maybe they blundered with the german Instructions.....

AndyT
08-14-2010, 23:51
I picked up FotG, Hit & Run and Crossfire at my local games store in Bristol yesterday. Very pleased with all of them and it will be nice to have the SE5a and Bristol Fighter on table at the same time.

The shop manager told me he expects to have the series 4 planes in stock next week.

Cheers,
Andy

Flying Officer Kyte
08-15-2010, 00:49
I picked up FotG, Hit & Run and Crossfire at my local games store in Bristol yesterday. Very pleased with all of them and it will be nice to have the SE5a and Bristol Fighter on table at the same time.

The shop manager told me he expects to have the series 4 planes in stock next week.

Cheers,
Andy

That is very interesting news indeed Andy. If your shopkeeper is correct he will have stolen a march on everyone. I wonder how he got his information on series four?
Rob.

AndyT
08-15-2010, 01:08
The store manager may well have got it wrong. His expertise is RPGs and comics not wargames as such so perhaps he has confused Series 4 planes with something else (Series 1 reprint?).

If I hear any more news I'll let you know.

Dom S
08-15-2010, 02:18
I'd love to think he's right, but frankly, umm, I don't.... :( Given the nature of the distribution network, it's pretty much inconceivable that it could be out in the UK without already having been released at least a week or two ago elsewhere....

Oberst Hajj
08-15-2010, 06:59
We know Series 4 will be out after the new Deluxe set, and Andrea has told me that it is not due out until August/Sept in Italy.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-15-2010, 07:11
We know Series 4 will be out after the new Deluxe set, and Andrea has told me that it is not due out until August/Sept in Italy.

I bet you wish you had a pint for every time you have told us that Col. You know what it is like. The nearer the release date comes, the more twitchy the lads trigger finger gets on the old keyboard.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
08-15-2010, 07:18
I'm just as itchy as everyone else!

Diamat
08-17-2010, 22:05
I too received FotG, Crossfire and Hit & Run yesterday, and tore into them immediately. Another high-quality set of releases, although I was thrown a bit by the way the plane and deck cards were presented in the blister packs: a few planes, a few cards, repeat!

I was grateful for the 'official' altitude cards, too.

FotG looks meatier than I was expecting in terms of rules. I for one am grateful that the plane cards (which are double sided, and come in two sizes) aren't on board. The card stock FFG has used is flexible, but resilient - it's just the job, I think.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it on the table soon. Drowning in IRL work at the moment, but that should all be over by the end of the month.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-18-2010, 00:38
I was grateful for the 'official' altitude cards, too.

Yes they are a useful addition . I hope they are included in all future releases, so that both sides have access to a copy, without us having to print our own. However well we do it they never seem quite like the real thing. Oh the finish, the finish.:cool:
Rob.

Bigman
08-21-2010, 11:09

Cheers,
Andy

Hi

quick query. I visit Bristol often can you tell me which shop you are using as mine is a bit hit and miss with WOW. owner dosent think pre painted minis are proper war game materials

hi ho

Thanks in advance

AndyT
08-22-2010, 23:18
Hi Bigman

I go to Area 51 on the Gloucester Road. He doesn't have a lot of stock because his main interests are board games, comics and RPGs but he will order stuff for you if its not on the shelves.

Cheers,
Andy

Scoop
09-28-2010, 05:42
Does anyone know when those bombers will arrive in Germany? I've ordered the box about half a year ago and my local dealer still says that no one knowns when it will come out.

Dom S
09-28-2010, 05:50
No real idea (as the boxed sets mean commissioning a separate edition for different languages) but I'd take a blind guess that given how important Spiel in Essen is to German firms, getting it out in time for that (late October) would make sense for a German distributor....

Scoop
09-28-2010, 06:20
That makes sense - so I would expect another six months ;) Since Nexus showed the ballons on the last "Spiel" con in Essen, it took about that long until we got them here.

Dom S
09-28-2010, 06:22
Hopefully it'll be a bit quicker this time - if nothing else, the fact that it's all printed matter rather than models should reduce the production lead time quite a lot....

Oberst Hajj
09-28-2010, 09:17
And we have had the English version for over a month now.

Dom S
09-28-2010, 09:24
Yeah, I still can't get over the novelty of us in the UK actually getting product *before* large chunks of mainland Europe.... :eek: Until the last couple of releases it's always seemed to be Italy, then Continental Europe, then North America, with UK and the ANZACs last.