PDA

View Full Version : WGFU: 60 Sqn RFC/RAF (Osprey)

gully_raker
10-28-2011, 17:31
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
No. 60 Sqd RFC/RAF---Osprey Aviation Elite Units Author:
Alex Revell ISBN:
978 1 84908 333 1 Category:
History Format:
Paperback Summary:
History of 60 Squadron from its formation untill disbandenment including Aircraft Flown, personell, losses, Victories & Colour Profiles. Heaps of B & W pics.

This is another masterful work from Alex Revell a noted Author of the seminal History of 56 Sqd. "High in the Empty Blue", other Osprey Books, "Brief Glory" a Biography of Arthur Rhys-Davids & "Fall of Eagles" etc etc.
The Book covers all the Aircraft Flown by the Sqd from the earliest mix of Morane Biplanes & Bullets, the 110HP Bullet which was universally detested by all the Pilots through the Nieuport 16, 17 & 23 which were then replaced by SE 5's & 5a's that the Sqd flew untill Wars End.
It covers all the Pilots & Commanders & Combats together with many quotes from actual Pilots or extracts from their Letters.
Many distingrished Pilots flew with 60 including Albert Ball, Billy Bishop, Grid Caldwell, F.O. Soden, Willie Fry, Chidlaw-Roberts etc.

Alex covers the infamous VC Aerodrome Raid with restraint but does point out that no reports were ever found in German Documents.
The Colour Profiles alone make this book worth having but if you want an almost Day to Day account of a Squadron in WW1 this is for you!

Very Highly Recommended. 5 out of 5 Stars

Flying Officer Kyte
10-30-2011, 09:20
I will endorse everything that Barry says about this book. It is well up to the top standard of the series, and if anything, I actually found it more readable than some of the other titles insofar as it was more than just the usual list of events.As in his other works Alex seems to be able to inject some personality into his biographys of the protagonists. It becomes more than just a factual account.
Rob.

flash
03-07-2012, 02:19
I will have to acquire a copy one day - does it tell you the individuals Aircraft markings ? Still want to confirm Sodens flight & markings !

Flying Officer Kyte
03-07-2012, 03:04
Hi Flash.
There is a colour picture of Soden's SE5 which he only flew for a week or so before it was returned to 2ASD for re-engining.
Members of C Flight are named as Rutherford, Temperley, and Caunter, killed by ground fire in the sortie described. On another occasion, First November 17, Moorslede seems to be with Rutherford and Soden. Hammersley gets a mention but it is not clear if he was with Soden or just happened along. When Rutherford was posted back to England on 5th December Soden was made Flight Commander.
Although he is mentioned as leading his patrol in a couple more actions before leaving the Squadron, there is very little about the names of his Flight at this time.
The book says nothing about the aircraft in his Flight, and is in fact far more spartan in this respect than the Aircraft of the Aces books.
I expect you already have more knowledge than this anyway, but hope it helps in your decision on weather to buy the book or not.
Rob.

flash
03-07-2012, 03:18
Cheers Rob - I know he got a couple of kills in the one with the red nose paint job from the serial number when he was with 60 so I may have to find a bird for a repaint of that which I don't mind cos it looks kinda flash !!

7eat51
02-01-2013, 21:19
Thanks for the review, Barry. I have been reading some on different planes or pilots, but not on given units. I will definitely put this on my list.