PDA

View Full Version : In their own words…

usmc1855
12-20-2009, 08:23
Dogfights, or successful shoot downs of enemy planes as described by the Pilots.

I’ll start by posting two descriptions from William A. Bishop, V.C. from his book Winged Warfare:

“One day I saw a single enemy scout flying at a tremendous altitude. I climbed up carefully some distance from him, and got between him and the sun; then, waiting until he was heading in exactly the opposite direction, I came down with tremendous speed and managed to slip underneath him without even being seen. I could make out each mark on the bottom of his machine as I crept closer and closer. My gun was all ready, but I withheld its fire until I came to the range I wanted—inside of 20 yards. It was rather delicate work flying so close under the swift Hun, but he had no idea that I was in existence, much less sitting right under him. I carefully picked out the exact spot where I knew the pilot was siting, took careful aim, and fired. Twenty tracer bullets went into that spot. The machine immediately lurched to one side and fell.
I had quickly to skid my machine to one side to avoid being hit by the falling Hun. After he had passed me a little way, I saw him smoking. Then he burst into flames.”

“These scarlet machines, as I have explained before, al belonged to von Richthofen’s squadron. I saw them just in time to turn away. I drew away about a mile, then easily out climbed my brilliant red rivals. Having gained the advantage of position, I decided to have a go at the crack German flyers. I dived toward them with my gun rattling, but just before reaching their level I pulled my machine up and “zoomed” straight up in the air, ascending for a short distance with the speed of a rocket. Then I would turn and dive and open fire again, repeating the performance several times. The Huns evidently had expected me to dive right through them, but my tactics took them by surprise and they began to show nervousness. After the third “zoom” and dive, the formation broke up and scattered."