PDA

View Full Version : Which Version WW1 Or WW2 and Why?

thumper7458
12-17-2009, 11:43
I combed through the threads and haven't seen this question asked, so I apologize in advance if it has been asked.

I currently have a small collection of WW1 planes (10) to go with my FA and WYB, I'll most likely get the BD expansion after X-mas. I eventually would like to get the complete collection of WW1 Mini's and any future expansions.

The reason why I chose WW1, basically, at the time, WW2 mini's weren't available and even though the WW1 game had been out for a while before I had purchased it, it wasn't until the mini's came out that I bought it. I feel that, for me, I made the right decision as the expansions and mini's for the WW2 version don't seem to be as forthcoming as the WW1 version.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the R&D that goes into creating the mini's and such but it seems that there is more of a focus on the WW1 side of things.

I'm also a little biased towards the WW1 version as I was playing Blue Max on Vassal quite a bit when the WW1 WoW mini's came out and I wanted to play something with the same theme that was more tangable than a computer game

By the way if anyone has the desire to play Blue Max on Vassal let me know.

Evzone
12-17-2009, 12:01
At the moment definitely WW1 - colour, aces and lovely looking aeroplanes! I'll have a bash at WW2 at some time in the future. :)

Greywolf
12-17-2009, 13:00
I was originally getting into WoW to play the WWII version.

But the guys on here opened my eyes to some of the great WWI planes and I got hooked I will get the WWII planes eventually maybe some time next year when series two is launched [get my stukas]

but I want to get all of the WWI minis first, the expansions, box sets, and Balloons....:D:D:D

Cheers
GW

NB: I mainly play the fantastically bright and colourful Central Empire planes.

usmc1855
12-17-2009, 16:15
WWI. When I started playing, that's all there was. And by the time the WWII items started coming out, I was too committed with all of the WWI Miniatures to want to try both (I only play with miniatures).

Eliminator
12-17-2009, 16:39
play both! ww1 has all the expansions, minis and variety, ww2 is still in its beginnings but it has the makings of ww1 has.

ste_marthe
12-17-2009, 18:31
I play both...I really love the WWII planes but the content and the feeling of the WWI planes is epic. I can't wait to get my hands on the balloon mini coming out in 2010.

But I am always ready to spend more money on my WWII minis. Right now I play them as they come out I guess. If I want a Stuka I play with the cards but what i do sometimes if I really want to play minis, I use the Stuka maneuver deck with a BF109 and just make believe...

tratatatata!

Oberst Hajj
12-17-2009, 20:21
I was in the same boat as thumper. I eyed the game for a year or so and finally made the purchase once the minis came out. I only play with minis. I've got all the WWI stuff out now (minus the card boosters) and have bought one each of the solo WWII minis and the Deluxe set. I'm expecting a few more WWII minis from Mrs. Clause here in a week or so. What ever is left I'll pick up before Series II comes out.

For WWI, I really love the dogfights. For WWII, I'm really looking forward to some missions.

Doug
12-18-2009, 00:46
I prefer the WW1 game. Firstly my Grandfather was a pilot in WW1 so there is the personal intrest. Secondly I find the playing system for WW2 a little to fast for me, but don't get me wrong it is a good game, its just with the WW1 system you get a little bit more time to chat inbetween moves. I have nothing against cards but I like the miniature as I have alway been a minatures gamer, plus you can put extra details on the models, fidley little stuff just to personalise the models. I look forward to the series 4 & 5 of the WW1 miniatures and hope they come out sooner rather than later in the year.

AlgyLacey
12-18-2009, 01:09
WW1 for me too. I just love the Great War stories of WE Johns and the immediacy - the scope for the Knights of the air thing is greater too I think. Lone or pairs of aircraft operating instead of Leigh-Mallory's Big Wings and thousand bomber raids. (Now there would be a game! A table 3 and a half miles long with Berlin at the far end)