PDA

View Full Version : SHAPEWAYS DH 2

COLBATMAN
10-02-2011, 19:41
[/ATTACH]2405324052Here are a couple of shots of my DH2, completed except for decals. I chose WSF due to the nature of the model. Very disappointed with the finish, the model has a powdery rough finish, my last WSF! Drilling out the hole for the prop etc, the drill crumbled through. I therefore was not game to drill in the base to fit a rod. I ended up glueing the end of a Litco Rod, attaching the ball to that. Looks reasonably strong, we shall see!

Hunter
10-02-2011, 19:44
I like them, Col! I just got mine sealed and primed, yours gives me the inspiration to continue with painting!

gully_raker
10-02-2011, 19:49
:thumbsup: Nice work Col! Shame about the Furry finish.
I will try to seal mine before I paint but definately will go for White Detail or FUD in future.;)

flyingryno
10-02-2011, 20:37
Nice looking plant. How did it get fury?

David Manley
10-02-2011, 20:45
Odd finish. I have 5 of these, none came out looking like that.

berthier
10-03-2011, 00:36
Barry

Avoid the White detail material, it was the one that caused "droopy" wings on my aircraft (see thread on shapeway materials) and they don't recommend it for aircraft. The FUD is excellent but apparently the slightly cheaper FD is very good as well. Strongest though is the strong white flexible, though it does have a fine sandpaper finish.

I'm undercoating one at the moment and on my third coat and it is still a bit furry. Sanding them works, for instance the bump on the end of the tail of the DH2 is where the prop casting was and this files down easily, but you cant easily sand the wings without loosing the detail...though my modelling skills are very basic so there may be a way.

I'm still trying to source the floor polish sealant (pledge, future or whatever they call it) to try that as a surface sealant.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-03-2011, 02:26
I like the addition of the flying wires Col.
Rob.

COLBATMAN
10-03-2011, 02:50
Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas, maybe we just copped a bad batch? Still happy with the product, where else could you go? Luv the concept of early ACs, please keep it up.

grumpybear
10-03-2011, 05:40
They look great.