PDA

View Full Version : RFC Aussie 3 sqdn scenario

David H
10-01-2011, 04:46
Hi

I was trying to reply to a post, but being a klutz I managed to do something strange and lost the thread. The question was how to design a scenario around a confrontation between an RE8 and 6 German Albatross fighters. 2 additional RE8's joined the fray at different times and the fighters were driven off after one was forced down with a hole in its fuel tank.
See this link: http://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/44/page58_white/

My thought is as follows
A time limited scenario with the additional 2 RE8's joining in at specified moves.
All special damage cards removed from the A deck as we know that until the very end the Germans did not do any "special" damage to the 8's.

The Albatross that was forced down is on display at the Australian War Memorial now, along with a Se5, Halberstadt and a couple of other planes.
It's a great hall that display, as there's a Peter (Lord of the Rings) Jackson directed 15 minute short showing a clash between SE5's, DR1's and Albatrii - Brilliant.

As well as a Lanc, 262, Komet, 109 and ...... Elsewhere there's a Kittyhawk, Zero, Muatang, Mossie, Spit and I can't recall what else off the top of my head.

gully_raker
10-01-2011, 17:50
Hi

I was trying to reply to a post, but being a klutz I managed to do something strange and lost the thread. The question was how to design a scenario around a confrontation between an RE8 and 6 German Albatross fighters. 2 additional RE8's joined the fray at different times and the fighters were driven off after one was forced down with a hole in its fuel tank.
See this link: http://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/44/page58_white/

My thought is as follows
A time limited scenario with the additional 2 RE8's joining in at specified moves.
All special damage cards removed from the A deck as we know that until the very end the Germans did not do any "special" damage to the 8's.

The Albatross that was forced down is on display at the Australian War Memorial now, along with a Se5, Halberstadt and a couple of other planes.
It's a great hall that display, as there's a Peter (Lord of the Rings) Jackson directed 15 minute short showing a clash between SE5's, DR1's and Albatrii - Brilliant.

As well as a Lanc, 262, Komet, 109 and ...... Elsewhere there's a Kittyhawk, Zero, Muatang, Mossie, Spit and I can't recall what else off the top of my head.

:thumbsup: I really like the idea of that Scenario David! Good one!
Incidentally have you read "Fire in the Sky" by Michael Molkentin, a Aussie School Teacher from Shell Harbour. Great book about the AFC throughout WW1.
In it he tells the Story of 3 Sqds RE8s which were flown very aggressively & accounted for over 3 times their own losses with the Germans they shot down.
It was first published in August 2010 & should be available locally or through the War Museum.

David H
10-01-2011, 22:15
Ah yes, Mr Molkentin's book. It is on my to buy list, just hasn't quite made it to the top yet, or been in a bookstore when I've had the inclination to buy it.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-02-2011, 06:39
Ah yes, Mr Molkentin's book. It is on my to buy list, just hasn't quite made it to the top yet, or been in a bookstore when I've had the inclination to buy it.

Just got it for £12.25 via Amazon David.
Rob.

Valkyrie_14
10-02-2011, 07:09
That was my thread. Thanks for making a scenario. :P

Cheers, Ash