PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer: Dulce et Decorum Est

Hamburger
09-24-2011, 11:56
Took 4 years of Latin, it's about time I put it to good use. Here we go:

Leutenant Williams,

It is now early 1918 and the men are sick of fighting in dirty trenches and they have begun to rebel against their commanders. You will have to arouse the men's spirits with their national anthems and patriotic songs...
...from the air. You will have to fly your bomber over our trenches with the sound equipment blasting so our boys can be reminded of what they're fighting for.

Allies: Breuget, 1 Camel and 1 N17.

Central Powers: 2 Albatros DVa's and 1 Fokker DVII.

Allied Objective: Fly above all the trenches and not die. Return to base when (if) done.

Central Powers Objective: Prevent the bomber from playing the music. Kill them all.

Special Rules: Use the straefing run rule for playing the music. The 2 seater cannont use the rear gun becuase the observer is busy working the sound system.

I'm not sure how historically correct this is, but its sure different! Check out the poem in the title, it's a good one relating to this scenario. ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-27-2011, 06:57
I like it Charlie. Are you going to play the poem, Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory, or some other rousing ditty in addition to the National Anthems?
What sort of thing do our allies enjoy? You could run a poll on that topic.
Rob.

Valkyrie_14
09-27-2011, 07:05
Rule Britannia!
Or Waltzing Matilda!

Beer&pretzels
09-27-2011, 10:21
If I was an ANZAC veteran from Galipoli and in a trench on the Western front when a plane flew over playing "Rule Britannia" I would be tempted to shoot at it. Waltzing Matilda might be enough to start a mutiny. Also, congratulations to Australia. Last Friday Aus gave American Eagle its worst ever drubbing in international rugby.

David Manley
09-27-2011, 10:29
If I was an ANZAC veteran from Galipoli and in a trench on the Western front when a plane flew over playing "Rule Britannia" I would be tempted to shoot at it.

Any more than a Brit or a Frenchman would do? Or do you subscribe to the (admittedly popular, but incorrect) view that it was only the ANZACs who suffered heavy casualties during the Gallipoli campaign?

wargamer
09-27-2011, 10:30
Well, yes, but the American Eagle plays rugby by rules. As I recall, Aussie rugby doesn't have rules, just survivors.

Beer&pretzels
09-27-2011, 11:08
David, probably not. I made the comment about ANZACs because I saw that an Aussie made the first remark about Rule Brittania and Waltzing Matilda. From what I've read, the Gallipoli campaign ended with a lot of casualties for all involved without significant strategic advanatge.

Beer&pretzels
09-27-2011, 11:11
Al, I think that goes for just about all rugby. A former team mate of mine once stated that at the end of a match if you can walk off the pitch under your own power, see straight and all your teeth are in place, you're a winner no matter what the score!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-27-2011, 11:18
:singin:Could we keep the thread on topic chaps? I would love to hear the Rugby discussion being an afficinado myself, but in the Mess please.
As for the suitable songs and music, lets see how many good ideas we can illicit.
Kyte.