PDA

View Full Version : Nigel and the Night Stalker.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-17-2011, 08:56
Nigel and the Night Stalker.

It all started to go wrong for Reiner as his G III crossed the lines in the early dawn on his way back from bombing the Englander’s back area. The three Friedrichshaffen had found the rail yards without much trouble, and after dropping the bombs were making for home, when just over the lines, he was caught by an Archie battery supporting a balloon which was just going up for an early look over no man’s land.
The flack seemed to miss the plane, but an ominous cloud of black smoke issuing from the starboard engine and a sudden vibrating in the frame of the aircraft told him otherwise.
Reiner immediately shut off the petrol feed to the engine and the vibration stopped. However, he started to fall behind his comrades and by the time he crossed the German lines he was alone.
Still he was now in home territory and only 20 minutes from his drome, so he could nurse the errant engine and still get back in time for breakfast in the Mess.
This would have been fine except for one factor which had not been considered by Reiner and his crew. Indeed they could have no idea that at this very moment Nigel Bouncer- Smythe and his gunner Chalky White were sitting in the eye of the rising Sun observing the smoking Friedrichshaffen about 500 feet above them.
For once the tables were turned. In the dawn, the German was in the situation that the R.F.C. so often found itself, heading into the early morning Sun with hostile aircraft using it as cover.
Had Nigel not been returning from a night raid himself the situation could not have occurred, but thus does the whimsy of the fates affect all our destinies.
Unseen by Reiner, Nigel climbed and put in a burst just as the lumbering G III made a course correction. This gave White an excellent shot with his twin Lewis guns at close range along the underside of the bomber which could not return fire due to the difficult angle and its blind spot.

Nigel pulled off an Immelmann , and was only thwarted due to his gun jamming at the moment of decision. Nevertheless, his superior speed allowed White to get in another burst with the rear guns, and a side slip took him to the port side of the GIII where the third machine gun could not play on him.

Nevertheless, the rear gunner did at last get off a shot which did little damage to the Biff. Nigel was now in a tailing situation, and whichever way the bomber dived or turned in order to shake him off, Nigel stuck to it like glue. He seemed to know every move that Reiner had in mind before he did himself.

With the Freidrichaffen now on fire as well as badly damaged, there was only one end possible.

When the second engine was hit, the stricken aircraft started to descend, quite gracefully for such a large aircraft.
It would have been a near perfect landing if it had not been for those confounded moles.

Reiner stood in the field and reflected on his day in the light of the burning GIII.

He would be late for his Bratwurst after all. Above him the receding sound of the Biff’s engines indicated that Nigel and Chalky would not.

Nigel contemplates his victory, whilst below Reiner, wearing a shirt once owned by Flying Officer Kyte and found by his crashed plane(See KoTA report), reviews what was the damage to those engines, and why his gunners could not inflict ant damage on the Britisher. The cards were the total for Nigel at the end of the sortie.
Rob.

Aero825
09-17-2011, 09:23
Nice! I loved it! I do have one question though. The Belgians were an alllied force right? And if this Fredrichafen(?) is German them what side is the Belgian one on from flight of the giants? I'm really confused.

Marechallannes
09-17-2011, 09:38
Nice report rob. Good pictures.

Too bad, my jasta patrol missed the fight this morning.:hmm:

I'am really new to this forum.

What kind of plane did Bouncer use?:confused:

Please give me some information about type, armament and maneuver deck.:please:

Wonder about that Immelmann...

Tommy Z
09-17-2011, 10:05
Great Pics....well done!:thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-17-2011, 10:42
Nice report rob. Good pictures.

Too bad, my jasta patrol missed the fight this morning.:hmm:

I'am really new to this forum.

What kind of plane did Bouncer use?:confused:

Please give me some information about type, armament and maneuver deck.:please:

Wonder about that Immelmann...
Right Sven.
The two seater was a Bristol Fighter known as a Biff at the time and a Brisfit just after the war ended. There is an official set of cards for it and it uses an S deck with Immelmann. It was a handy aircraft if used as a single seater fighter would be. When first introduced to the front it was used like a two seater and came to grief very quickly. Once its potential was realised, it became quite formidable. The night fighter version had a B firing gun forward and twin guns aft . Thus it was B/A. However, some Home defence planes were given an extra twin gun to the fore as they needed less petrol to patrol and could thus manage the extra load. Using this configuration for my first ever sortie against a Gotha, the Biff took it down quite easily.
For more information on this see the other adventures of Nigel on this Forum.
The down side is that at the moment if you want either of these planes you will have to build them yourself.
Rob.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-17-2011, 10:47
Nice! I loved it! I do have one question though. The Belgians were an alllied force right? And if this Fredrichafen(?) is German them what side is the Belgian one on from flight of the giants? I'm really confused.

Yep Hunter I have seen the bird in question. I honestly don't know the answer. Maybe it was captured! I'm sure our Belgian Wingco can shed some light on the matter.
Rob.

Marechallannes
09-17-2011, 10:59
Thanks, needed the information only for our "Aufklärungsabteilung";)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3288052387_3e9afcc8c1.jpg

Nice biplane.

Have to chek the S-Deck...

Marechallannes
09-17-2011, 11:27
Sorry Rob, it's me again.

How much damage points for the Bristol Fighter?

Flying Officer Kyte
09-17-2011, 11:48
Sorry Rob, it's me again.

How much damage points for the Bristol Fighter?

16 damage points Sven.
Rob.

flyingryno
09-17-2011, 12:15
Nice Pics. I really do like that GIII.

Azrael
09-17-2011, 12:24
Great report.

Attila57
09-17-2011, 12:32
Great pics Great report

Attilio

gully_raker
09-17-2011, 20:05
:thumbsup: Great report Rob!
I must ask however HOW COME you were flying for the ENEMY??? GHQ will hear of this!:eek:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-18-2011, 00:34
:thumbsup: Great report Rob!
I must ask however HOW COME you were flying for the ENEMY??? GHQ will hear of this!:eek:

It was a covert Opp. Barry. It was the only way we could get a look at the Central powers newest machine, and get it to crash. If Nigel had not turned up we could have landed it within our lines and made the enemy think it had been forced down.
Basically, if you want a decent game somone has to fly for the enemy, and I got the short straw. Besides, I don't get to play a game with No 1 son very often now, and I felt that it was high time you chaps had another episode of Nigel thrust upon you.
Rob.

Marechallannes
09-18-2011, 05:40
Hmm...

I have no S-Maneuver-Deck in my collection. (Deluxe Set I + II, Baloon Buster, Flight of the Giants, Immelmann Booster, Top Fighters Booster)

Does it belong to the Recon Patrol Booster?

Bouncer commands a very fast plane.:hmm: (...looking at the 3 Maneuver cards on the first picture)

No easy match for my Albatros D.III.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-18-2011, 06:16
Hmm...

I have no S-Maneuver-Deck in my collection. (Deluxe Set I + II, Baloon Buster, Flight of the Giants, Immelmann Booster, Top Fighters Booster)

Does it belong to the Recon Patrol Booster?

Bouncer commands a very fast plane.:hmm: (...looking at the 3 Maneuver cards on the first picture)

No easy match for my Albatros D.III.

It is in the Crossfire Booster pack Sven
Rob.