PDA

View Full Version : Shapeways Finish Question?

gully_raker
09-06-2011, 16:25
:salute: G'day All!
A question re your reccomendations for the best finish for the "Lattice Tail" Aircraft.
I was extremely happy with the Frosted Ultra Detail of my Sop Triplane but thought it might be prudent to get the White Strong & Flexable for the DH-2 etc.
Do you reccommend the "Polished" Version or just the standard or what other opinions? :confused:

pbhawkin
09-06-2011, 16:57
Avoid the polished version as I have had a junkers order cancelled with the explanation that the heating during the waxing process will cause damage to parts that are too thin.

berthier
09-06-2011, 20:07
Further to the original post could those who have purchased in the materials listed below make any comments on there suitability, finish quality, ease of painting and your satisfaction with the end product?

Many thanks!

White strong flexible

White strong flexible polished

Frosted detail

Frosted ultra detail

White detail

Transparent detail

gully_raker
09-07-2011, 19:36
Further to the original post could those who have purchased in the materials listed below make any comments on there suitability, finish quality, ease of painting and your satisfaction with the end product?

Many thanks!

White strong flexible

White strong flexible polished

Frosted detail

Frosted ultra detail

White detail

Transparent detail

G'day Daniel! I have only purchased the Sopwith Triplane in Frosted Ultra Detail & it was Excellent. Check out my Thread with pics in this section.
My main concern was the strength of the Tail Booms in the Lattice Tail models & thought that I might need a stronger finish.

Hunter
09-09-2011, 19:11
Howdy Daniel, I've had several finishes, including FUD, which is very nice. But, I have decided to just get the WSF finish as you need to seal all the finishes before painting anyway. In my experience WSF is stronger but it will take at least two coats of paint after sealing to look good. I recently ordered an 0/400 in White Detail, but have not yet received it. Will advise how that finish holds up.

berthier
09-09-2011, 19:19
Thanks for the feedback. have also ordered several models in the various materials to compare, including the new polished white flexible. Expected delivery isn't until end of September unluckily. I do have three models now though, the Junkers 1, Handley Page 0/400 and Caprioni 3.

I'm looking at them and deciding how best to paint them! Is the current method you mot use, to undercoat then do two coats then decal then seal? Any recommendations for a new painter tackling his first paint job? Matt better than gloss? Preferred paint brands? Terry you mentioned you seal the WSF before painting, what do you use for this?

Lots of questions!

Thanks again Daniel

Hunter
09-09-2011, 19:32
MinWax 'POLYCRYLIC'. Five coats. Now Clipper 1801 just used an automotive grey type sealer (2 coats) on my Fokker DrI's (all WSF) that I'm currently painting and they are turning out good IMHO. I'll have to get the name of it. With the POLYCRYLIC using small (non bomber) planes I just dunk them into the can and brush off the excess, let dry, and do 4 more times. Time consuming and messy (for me, anyway) but worth it!

pbhawkin
09-09-2011, 20:39
Daniel,
Hi.
Any sealer willl do but the easiest is one called 'Future' (which i got from a seller in the USA) as I could not find a local equivalent where I live (small country town).
A couple of coats to seal as the Shapeways WSF material is VERY porous. then 1-2 coats of paint ( I use Tamiya, Vallego,Polly-scale or Lifecolor which are ALL available in Australia).
Then a GLOSS coat to allow decals to attach easily without 'silvering' (air trapped in the rough texture of the matt paints surface that causes a opaque silver look to the clear areas rather thasn the underlying paint colour to show through). then apply your decals then another gloss coat to seal and protect the decals and finally a matte coat (I use a number such as; Windsor and Newton 'Galleria' matte varnish(more satin than flat), Polly-scale 'flat finish', Humbrol 'matt cote' or Model Master 'flat clear lacquer finish'(very flat BUT if brushed on too thick will eat the Future coats and decals!!) to dull down the surface.

hope that helps?

berthier
09-09-2011, 21:53
Phew! Well thanks Peter that covers just about everything I'll start collecting the "ingredients" and might take phots of the progress ;)