PDA

View Full Version : GenCon report: Wings of WAR Megagame

Misdomingo
09-04-2011, 21:32
By official reports, GenCon broke attendance records this year: fully 36,733 people converged on Indianapolis, Indiana, for 4 days of gaming (August 4-7, 2011 --- Sorry for the belated post). And Wings of War was there too!

Chuck42 and I were fortunate to sign up for the Wings of War Megagame: Battle of the St. Mihiel Salient which was hosted by cybermage of Northern Virigina Gamers (NOVAG). For the past several years, NOVAG has been running Wings of Wars events and other miniatures games at a variety of U.S. game conventions. This year their GenCon Megagame drew 56 pilots on a Saturday for an enjoyable morning flight.

Each pilot could select a plane and was given an aircraft tracking card and maneuver deck for the chosen aircraft:

It was Entente vs Central Powers, but otherwise just a big fun-loving furball. Oversized damage cards were used by cybermage and his young assistant to call out damage taken:

Sadly, my SE5a met an untimely demise thanks to the rear gun of a Roland:

It was still great to see everybody there. New people were introduced to Wings of War (and to the Aerodrome), and enjoyable conversations were shared with pilots from all over the U.S. and beyond.

The Cowman
09-04-2011, 23:16
Thanks for sharing Ann! Glad you could make it out there and represent for us! I kinda like the little contol cards they made up... Looks like folks were having a bit of fun!

Oberst Hajj
09-05-2011, 13:33
Yes, it looks like a lot of fun. Were they using one damage card for all damage dealt out in that round of shooting??

Misdomingo
09-05-2011, 17:00
No, but that's an interesting idea and might speed up game play too. Damage was public (dry erase marks on the aircraft tracking / contoller card) so it could work. Hopefully the GM for the event, cybermage, can post his comments here too.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-06-2011, 08:28
Looks like another great show. Thanks for the heads up Ann.
Rob.

Shiraz68
09-06-2011, 13:16
Making the damage public simplifies things and stops it getting 'gamey'. Thanks for sharing this with us Ann