PDA

View Full Version : Why WAW?

Oberst Hajj
11-30-2009, 08:27
I see quite a few people around the net that abbreviate Wings of War as WAW... why is that?

Pseudotheist
11-30-2009, 08:49
To differentiate from World of Warcraft?

Greywolf
11-30-2009, 10:41
I see quite a few people around the net that abbreviate Wings of War as WAW... why is that?
lol I didn't realize that WAW was in fact wings OF war.....

Cheers
GW

Oberst Hajj
11-30-2009, 15:48
I thought about the Warcraft thing... but think its odd that they use WAW on a Wings of War site... where we would know that they mean Wings of War.

Greywolf
11-30-2009, 16:00
I thought about the Warcraft thing... but think its odd that they use WAW on a Wings of War site... where we would know that they mean Wings of War.

wouldn't WnW been better...

Wings "N" War...

something else could have been a better option....

Cheers
GW

ste_marthe
11-30-2009, 16:30
I would still use WoW on the site. Maybe talking elswhere I would type it out...On a youtube title it might confuse alot of people.

But in a conversation on another site, using WoW when talking about planes for me is obvious that Im not into orcs and WoW...

Hueg
11-30-2009, 17:10
I'm in the minority as I've never heard it refered to as WaW; only WoW or simply Wings.
I can't say I'd know (before reading this thread) what someone was on about either had they asked if I'd played WaW. Odd choice.

The Blue Baron
11-30-2009, 23:56
Never heared WAW, either. On this site I use WoW and on the german site I use WoWar.

ste_marthe
12-01-2009, 03:09
Never heared WAW, either. On this site I use WoW and on the german site I use WoWar.

I really like WoWar

Gravitypool
12-01-2009, 03:41
This year happened to me a funny thing. I was going to an event in a playing group where they were doing WoW cards and WoW minis demos for new players. It was in this group were i first learned to play Wings of War so for me it was obvious, but it turned that both the demos where Worldd of Warcraft's cards and minis respectively.

I think mister angiolino was a bit unfortunate choosing names. As Dawn of War is also the name of the popular Warhammer 40k videogame, so it's difficult to google search for gaming material for Wings of War.

The Blue Baron
12-01-2009, 04:02
I think mister angiolino was a bit unfortunate choosing names. As Dawn of War is also the name of the popular Warhammer 40k videogame, so it's difficult to google search for gaming material for Wings of War.

Meanwhile DoW was renamed. Newer copies read DAWN OF WORLD WAR II.

Pseudotheist
12-01-2009, 04:15
Meanwhile DoW was renamed. Newer copies read DAWN OF WORLD WAR II.
It's my understanding that that was the original intent.

The Blue Baron
12-01-2009, 06:09
Somewhere I read that it was renamed because of the GW PC game.

Bixby
12-01-2009, 07:25
I must really be in the minority here, because I like to use: "Wings of War". :)

Seriously, it can sometimes get confusing navigating around all of the abbreviations on the interwebz, so I have resolved to try to avoid acronyms as much as possible.

WoW
afaik
lol
brb
rofl
flgs
...and the list goes on. :(

Oberst Hajj
12-01-2009, 08:28
Well, I try to use Wings of War here on this site, as it increases the key word ratings for Google searches :D

Hueg
12-04-2009, 01:35
Well, I try to use Wings of War here on this site, as it increases the key word ratings for Google searches :D

Sounds like a plan. Wings of War from now on here too. :)

StormforceX
12-04-2009, 14:42
Yes, lets all post Wings of War a few times to get noticed on Google, Wings of War, Wings of War, (World of Warcraft, what's that?) :D