PDA

View Full Version : Which WoW "Base Game" for starters ???

MadMajor
11-25-2009, 18:16
Hey folks! As I mentioned in my Report for Duty post, I've played WoW a grand total of 2 times so far, and loved it! (I played a couple of dogfights with a few friends, using the Famous Aces base game.)

I really like the game, and am thinking about getting it for a friend for Christmas, and also possibly one for myself. I was wondering, though... which base game should I get?

(Unfortunately, I'm a rather penniless grad student, so buying several of the kits is not an option, at least not right away. I should also mention that my friend and I live in separate states, so there's not much advantage to buying different sets and playing together... we only see each other a couple of times a year. I should also mention that we're avid gamers, so complexity doesn't deter us. Although, we both like to play with our wives, who *do* tend to prefer simplicity in games....)

So, what should it be... Famous Aces, Watch Your Back, or one of the WWII kits?

From what I've seen here, perusing your forums and file downloads, I've learned that WYB contains target cards and two-seater planes, which I didn't experience playing with FA. Do they add a lot of fun to the gameplay, or do most of you just prefer single-seat-plane dogfights?

I also see that WYB has different movement decks than FA (EFGH, instead of ABCD). Are the dogfights very different with WYB decks as the FA decks?

It seems from what I've read here that the B damage deck (from WYB) is more severe than the A damage deck (from FA)... is that true? Worth considering?

If I could just get one booster deck (with either of the base kits), is there one worth recommending? Or how about the miniatures -- is it worth investing in a couple of those? (again, cost may be prohibitive...)

Finally -- is there a kit that tends to be better for just two people playing?

Anyway, weigh in, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any advice!

-"Mad Major" Travis

PS - the classified section is rather empty... is anyone out there interested in selling any WoW kits or components? Let me know! :)

Oberst Hajj
11-25-2009, 18:26
Hey MadMajor,

Before you make a purchase, it is very important for you to decide if you are going to play with miniatures or cards. This thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273)might help you out with that part.

That decission will really shape the way you should buy things and could save you a lot of money.

Greywolf
11-25-2009, 20:20
I'd go for Buring Draken box set. It has a decent amount of stuff plus balloons. [check out the files section as there are some great solo missions to use with the balloons] Burning Draken doesn't have the B damage deck but does give you a 2nd A damage deck. [1 deck can be used with up to 4 planes, add a second pack and your up to 8 planes etc...]

I wouldn't worry to much about the expansion packs for now better deal getting the box sets . I will be getting them eventually but considering I have all three box sets I am in no rush.

mini or cards its up to you. As Col Hajj. mentioned there is a good thread discussing this. The cheaper option is the cards as the minis do cost a bit. Each plane does come with its card version and maneuver deck.

The main benifit of the cards is you have a larger pool of planes to choose from. I use minis only and will do repaints to add more flavour to my squadrons and will get more minis as they are launched. Some players buy other types of miniatures there are quite a few companies who sell 1/144th scale planes. there is a thread F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=431) that discusses the merits of other brands and their range of planes.

As for choosing WoW over Dow [dawn of war] they are very different games and scale. The WWII version [1/200th scale] uses tokens instead of damage cards, you have altitude, speed, and fuel rule options. I was oringnally getting into WoW to play the WWII era but have found the WWI alot more to my style and pace. [plus my wife enjoys a game now and then.]

I hope this helps. I am sure there are more guys who can answer your questions better [or who may correct my comments] but its a trial by error.find out what suits you and go with it. we have a good mix of miniature and card players, with heaps of experience.

If you haven't seen it yet go and check out the player location section and find your country join the social group. Your bound to find someone whon lives close by who may want a game or two.

Cheers
GW

MadMajor
11-25-2009, 20:24
Excellent, thanks, Hajj! I meant to mention before, if there's a thread that covers any of my questions, be sure to just point me in the right direction...

Based off of that thread (and our gaming preferences, and where/when/how often/with whom we play, and our budgets...) I think that I'll probably aim for playing with cards, not miniatures. Same goes for my friend.

MadMajor
11-25-2009, 21:07
Thanks Greywolf! I'll check that info out, and keep your advice in mind.

Oberst Hajj
11-26-2009, 00:28
Give this tread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5653#post5653) a read.

usmc1855
11-26-2009, 07:22
If you're looking to get one item for your friend, and picking up another one for yourself, I'd recommend Fighting Aces for one of you, and either Burning Drachens or Watch Your Back for the other. This will give each of you a different product, and the greater breadth of planes to use when playing together, and when not together, each product can be played as a stand alone.

MadMajor
11-26-2009, 22:32
Thanks everyone... especially Hajj for the new sticky post!!! Excellent info.