PDA

View Full Version : Site: Anyone know how to Screencast?

Oberst Hajj
08-10-2011, 05:29
Do any of our members no how to Screencast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screencast) or is anyone willing to learn to help out with the site?

Shiraz68
08-11-2011, 05:06
Keith

I have had a quick look at this in the past, but am just about 2 go on vacation for 2 weeks. If you could PM me the details, or ideas, of what you want to to I will see what I can do when I get back.

The Cowman
08-11-2011, 13:51
I am sure I could learn to do it quickly and crank out content for you... I would even be willing to set aside a couple of "shifts" per week to help out. However I do not own any software specifically for the task...

Ginarley
08-11-2011, 14:21
Funnily enough I've been planning to look into this for making online demos from my lectures. If I figure anything out I'll let you know.

The Cowman
08-11-2011, 14:27
Ian if you find a good source for inexpensive software can you drop me a line please?

Thx!

Ginarley
08-11-2011, 16:18
Will do, although I think there is software available through my uni so it may not be free software I end up using.

Oberst Hajj
08-19-2011, 09:38
The one free software I have some experience with is Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/jing/). It was what I used back in the early days of the site to make the few vids I did. Here is a short list of the things I'd like to have one of you guys make vids for:

How to select an Avatar
How to customize your profile (colors, pictures, welcome message)
How to start a blog
How to add a photo to your post
How to add photos to your albums
How to add a link to a post (including coloring the linked text)

I'm sure there will be others, but that would be a good start.

Thank you.

Oberst Hajj
08-19-2011, 09:41
Oh, and if you are interested in looking at other free tools, have a look here (http://www.justskins.com/tools-utilities/free-screencast-software/1642).

Bixby
08-19-2011, 11:14
Snag-It is a pretty cool tool that our I/T guys at work use. Apparently they find it invaluable and easy to use.

Ginarley
08-20-2011, 18:58
Turns out I have access to Adobe Captivate and I am going to be learning it over the next week or so - if I get it figured out for the work stuff I'll have a play with one of the videos you suggested and see what happens.

The Cowman
08-20-2011, 19:46
I'll go through the list of freebies and find a couple I think I'll like... Ian if you are going to work on one or two please PM me and let me know which ones so I can pick different ones to work on.

Keith, do these software packages do audio as well, and do you want audio?

Oberst Hajj
08-21-2011, 13:40
I think most of the vids don't really need audio, which would just add to the file size. If you want to do the same vid, one with and one with out, then I could see which I like better?

Ginarley
08-22-2011, 22:50
I've had an initial play with Captivate and I can make it work so I'll play around with the first two in that list.

Would it be possible to get a dummy log in with a boring name to use for the demos rather than it showing up personal details? That way we could demo changing personal details without our own showing up and we can play with settings without messing up our own profile :)

Oberst Hajj
08-23-2011, 02:53
Sending you a PM Ian.

Ginarley
09-01-2011, 20:36
What format do you want the screencasts in?

I've played around and created a couple of videos with Captivate as .swf files but the options to produce other file types are limited (although there are plenty of third party conversion options).

Oberst Hajj
09-02-2011, 00:06
Flash should work as I think I can embed it right into the posts.

Big Al
09-02-2011, 02:57
The problem with flash is that it isn't supported by Apple products, so anyone with a Mac, iPad or iPod won't be able to see them.

Al

Oberst Hajj
09-02-2011, 03:31
The problem with flash is that it isn't supported by Apple products, so anyone with a Mac, iPad or iPod won't be able to see them.

Al

No, that's the problem with Apple, not Flash! lol.

Oberst Hajj
09-02-2011, 03:33
Check out CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) as an option.

Big Al
09-02-2011, 06:27
No, that's the problem with Apple, not Flash! lol.

Touche!

Oberst Hajj
09-02-2011, 07:45
Haha, we have 2 iphones, 2 ipods and 1 ipad in my home... so I know how bad it sucks not to have Flash or them.

Big Al
09-02-2011, 08:19
Yes, we have similar. Well, now Steve Jobs has resigned, what do you reckon the chances are that the decision will be reversed?
It makes me laugh at all the people who had a go at Microsoft because of fears of them forcing people to use only their stuff and here we are with another company doing exactly that! These devices are supposed to make things so much easier for us. I don't see how if they won't give us Flash!

Sorry for the rant!;)

The Cowman
11-04-2011, 22:36
Colonel, I am curious as to whether there has been any progress on this project since I went on leave. I am still willing to do some work and have some ideas... but need to know if it needed still.

Thanks!

Oberst Hajj
11-05-2011, 05:00
Nope, nothing done at all Ken. Make sure you are up to speed in the health dept. before revisiting the project though... that's an order.

The Cowman
11-05-2011, 17:48
Nope, nothing done at all Ken. Make sure you are up to speed in the health dept. before revisiting the project though... that's an order.

Order understood! I just am trying to find things to keep me busy... keeps the anxiety from the chronic pain away.... Will be painting again very soon!