PDA

View Full Version : Who burned the sausages?

Albert Ross
08-05-2011, 11:29
So there we were Rittmester von Hagen and I, relaxing over a stein of St.Pauli girl and some very fine Bavarian smoked cheese and watching the fireworks as our guns played an overture on Tommy's reserve trenches. Suddenly the field telephone rings - our observation balloons are under attack!

We run to our waiting airplanes , waving the mechanics aside and take off , desperately trying to gain altitude before the intruders arrive. The enemy has timed his attack perfectly, all our AA Gunners were lined up at the field kitchen, and not a single bullet was sent up to challenge the raiders. 1937019371
They were already perilously close to the line of balloons when the Schaeffer's DVII singled out the leading Sopwith and put a burst into his fuel tank. Poor Tommy never stood a chance, and went down in a pile of twisted wreckage. But this was a trick to draw off our fighter cover, as he had been shepherding a little Nieuport which closed in on the right hand balloon. 19372 The only other defender available was a slow DrI triplane, whose pilot bravely placed his machine between the Nieuport and it's intended victim.

On the other flank, von Hagen had his hands full dealing with a superior number of British scouts, but here German engineering proved superior and despite gaining good firing positions, all three Tommies suffered from defective ammunition which jammed their guns!

Meanwhile, the Nieuport piloted by my Nemesis had indeed broken off it's attack on the balloon but gotten into a tailing positing on the DrI which was now trailing smoke from a damaged engine; bravely the little triplane turned one more into the fight but it was all over for him. 1937319374He fell out of the sky after giving all for Kaiser und Vaterland.

Our gunners were back at their posts now and while the machine guns put up a deadly barrage, none of the heavy shell found their mark. The way was open for the remaining two Tommies, and first one, then the second balloon exploded in a deadly fireball.193751937619375

The Rittmeister's own Fokker had been hit by incendiary bullets, but he managed to extinguish the flames and stay in the fight, assisted by Ob.Lt. Goring in a second Fokker. Their valiant efforts managed to down the last of the allied scouts, but not before our remaining drachen had caught fire and suffered 50% damage.

Thanks to Richard (the Count) for hosting a very enjoyable game, and John and JJ for a brilliant performance. The Valley Flight is proud to have such skilled pilots!

Albert Ross
08-05-2011, 11:31

Nemesis1
08-05-2011, 11:39
Albert Ross forgot to mention that one of the she-devils was in attendance, and did very well for herself, GO SHE_DEVILS !!!!!!!!

The Cowman
08-05-2011, 21:52
It would seem that the She Devils have earned their name!! Reminds me of some other lady pilots I once knew...