PDA

View Full Version : Where can't you play Wings of War?

Aero825
07-30-2011, 17:02
Hey everybody! I have a great story for you guys today. Huddle around kids...

My mom loves to scrapbook. And there was a scrapbook convention at the same building where Historicon was held. My dad and I, as you can probably guess, are not fans of scrapbooking, so we took a trip to one of our favorite game shop. After looking around for a while, we come across this booster pack and decide to buy it. It was the "Recon Patrol" pack, which included:
-Sopwith Triplanes
-Fokker Dr.Is
-Breuget Br.14 B2s
-Roland C.IIs
-1 D maneuver deck
-1 K maneuver deck

So, after that, we went back to the convention center to wait for my mom to finish shopping. We go outside and sit under a tree and wait. Then I suggest, "Hey, why don't we play wings of war with our new booster pack?"
"Without damage decks or rulers?"
"Why not? Let's try it!"

Mission 1
Playing surface: Rough grass under a quite shady oak
Rules: Firing range is estimated, damage determined by rolling of some D6 dice that my dad and I conviently had with us. For A guns, 6s were zeros, everything else was normal; for B guns, 5s & 6s were zeros, and everything else was normal. No Altitude, or special damage (that would be impossible with dice), or anything else for that matter.
Mission: A Fokker Dr.I piloted by my father vs. an RAF R.E.8 piloted by me.

We started relatively close to eachother, and I began by turning left then swinging my plane back to the right as fast as possible. My dad, being my dad, performed the same set of maneuvers as me only with the directions reversed, so he basically mirrored me. Shots were exchanged at close range, but my rear gun was able to blast him for 1 more shot after we passed. I began a long sweep back to the left, and my dad took advantage of his Dr.Is maneuverability and 180'd, then continued forward. He then performed a full-turn Immelmann, while I soared infront of him. We both exchanged shots, and I again was able to give my rear gunner a shot on my dad's Dr.I. I continued my sweep, hoping to get a head-on pass with my father's Fokker, but I underestimated his maneuverability and he was able to fire directly into my broadside, my R.E.8's only blind spot. This was a fatal mistake, for my plane was damaged, and this finished it off. A win for Daddy!

Mission 2 will be posted soon. Stay Tuned!

toddwf
07-30-2011, 18:04
I thought you were going to say that some crazy scrapbooking lady kicked you out of the convention building for playing Wings of War.

Very resourceful of you to get the game in though. However, who "conveniently" carries around dice in their pocket?

Todd

Aero825
07-30-2011, 19:15
Well, my dad and I had planned to go to the game store beforehand, and my dad's friend often plays there. The dice were these special dice (no, not rigged) that are unlike any dice you have ever seen. So my dad had wanted to show them to his friend if he saw him there (which he didn't, BTW). Here's a link to the dice's website: IronDieAmerica.com (http://irondieamerica.com/)

Oberst Hajj
07-30-2011, 21:19
Cool Hunter. My wife loves to scrapbook as well. Were those the dice you picked up at Origins?

Hunter
07-31-2011, 05:08
I loved it! Great report. I'm impressed with your WoW resourcefulness!

Aero825
07-31-2011, 08:13
Were those the dice you picked up at Origins?

Yeah. My dad's friend is a real fan of dice.

The Cowman
07-31-2011, 11:07

Hmmmmm maybe I will pick up a second base set... pack it up in a pouch and carry it with me wherever I go... I would even be willing to see if I got kicked out of a scrapbooking convention!

Goering Ace
08-01-2011, 15:03

It's true. I have a bit of a problem when it comes to dice. I have way more than I should, but can't help but add more to the collection when I see something really cool like those Iron dice. :)

gully_raker
08-01-2011, 17:12
:salute: Well done Hunter!
It reminded me of the time I had to spend 5 weeks in Canberra Hospital a few years ago & one of the Trainee Doctors saw me reading White Dwarf Mag so he brought in 2 Warhammer 40K Armies & we played a game on a table in one of the Lecture Rooms.
That really was a great experience.:thumbsup: