PDA

View Full Version : The French going on some Balloon Busting!

Wombat
07-30-2011, 14:51
My girl and I were trying out my new balloon and some of the new fighters I managed to buy earlier in the week (Udet and Schäfer Fokker D.VIIs, Fonck SPAD and Elwood's Camel). I really love that Balloon. It makes for some interesting missions!

The attackers. Rocket armed Nieuport and two SPADs.

The Defenders. Two Fokkers.

Rendez vois over the Western Front.

Attacking SPADs. They both went around the right flank of the balloon and riddled it with bullets without effect.

Nieuport lining up for the rocket attack.

All are hunting for that Nieuport.

The Nieuport falls after failing to hit with it's rockets. The Fokkers almost collide.

A lone Fokker returns to it's lines. The other Fokker and the second SPAD fell just the turn before. The Fokker pilot shot dead, and the SPAD fell out of the sky after taking too much damage.

The balloon is still flying.

The SPAD returns home after a failed mission.

Fleeing SPAD.

/Jörgen

Watchdog
07-30-2011, 15:20
Nice AAR.

That is an absolutely awesome gaming mat. Is that custom built or did you buy it somewhere?

EDIT: Is that red painted parasol aircraft a Fokker D.VIII? Where did that mini come from?

Wombat
07-30-2011, 23:22
Nice AAR.

That is an absolutely awesome gaming mat. Is that custom built or did you buy it somewhere?

The map is made by me using acrylic paint applied with a sponge on a green carpet. >Link to my post about that< (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?5114-Hand-painted-mat-map.) The mat used in this mission is just one of two that I can put together. I plan on doing a "How to", but haven't found the time yet.

EDIT: Is that red painted parasol aircraft a Fokker D.VIII? Where did that mini come from?

That is a >Skytrex (Red Eagle)< (http://www.skytrex.com/) Fokker D.VIII. More photoes of it can be found >here< (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=514).

/Jörgen

Watchdog
07-31-2011, 00:19
Thanks, Jörgen, I love the mat and I am probably going to make a similar one myself when I have time.:thumbsup:

petitbilbo
07-31-2011, 02:32
Very nice pics!

Makes me :envy: with envy as I still play on a simple wooden table...

Like this:

:mad:

:salute:

Wombat
07-31-2011, 02:35
That's a seriously tight dogfight over the woods. ;)

petitbilbo
07-31-2011, 02:41
:clap::D

Wombat
07-31-2011, 06:54
Thanks, Jörgen, I love the mat and I am probably going to make a similar one myself when I have time.

Just be sure to show it here when you are done! :)

Flying Officer Kyte
08-02-2011, 00:58
Nice set of pics Jorgen. Those balloon can get into your blood. Watch out! I am getting addicted to balloon missions now that I have taken the bait with Stormkahn. A lot of good pilots have already gone down in those missions.
Rob.

Wombat
08-02-2011, 21:55
You are right, I am starting to get addicted. :) Had another go yesterday evening with the same setup, except that we had one more plane each. I had another Nieuport (17 this time) and Tina one more Fokker VII. It was a very even fight with me on the loosing side (again). :) Her last plane, the Fokker D VIII, and the balloon each had just 2 hitpoints left when my last SPAD fell! :D The thing with this game that makes it so perfect for me is that I can lose time after time, but still have no problem with that! Love it!

/Jörgen

Albert Ross
08-02-2011, 22:16
Another of these deadly females!
Excellent report. There seems to be an increase in "Hun" activity all along the front, as my Nemesis bought two more aircraft for herself tonight; I suspect the infamous She Devils squadron may be building up for a major offensive in our sector.....

Tommy Z
08-03-2011, 13:31
I'm awestruck every time I see that mat...fantastic work!:minis::envy:

Wombat
08-03-2011, 21:23
I'm awestruck every time I see that mat...fantastic work!

Thanks! :thankyou: Now I just have to do the other side of it, so that I can put that "How to" up there. Just now I'm doing a bunch of balloon castings in foam. Must start to finish projects too, not just begin new ones. :brickwal:

/Jörgen

Aero825
08-04-2011, 09:37
Nice AAR.

Ditto! That's a really nice mat and mini, and even better AAR!

itchy
08-07-2011, 23:18
Great AAR ,lovely pics and a superb mat .