PDA

View Full Version : Custom counters?

ff151
11-18-2009, 16:38
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of any plastic counters for WOW WWII? I can see these cardboard ones getting lost easily or damaged.

I am thinking about making my own out of plastic, but if there is already a source to buy them I would like to know.....

Thanks!

FF

krolik
11-18-2009, 19:45
A friend of mine has made up sets of plastic counters (small chips, tiddly winks I think) for the A, B, & C damage decks for WoW. He printed out the damage decks on round stickers and stuck them on the chips, and the chips go into a bag. When you take damage, just draw the appropriate amount of chips.

Oberst Hajj
11-18-2009, 21:47
That sounds like a pretty good idea. I am actually thinking about having some card decks printed up to replace the counters... I really dislike the counters and really like the deck idea from WoW WWI.

bsmith13
11-19-2009, 07:27
I like the idea of having custom damage cards printed up. But the stickers on the chips appeals to me too...

krolik
11-21-2009, 10:48
We've found that the damage decks work just fine for up to 2 planes on a side, but beyond that you start to go through a deck in each combat. So at least one plane will get the blow up card. The damage decks don't work as well for large combats, that why we went to the chip system for damage.

We just look at, and record the damage and return the chips to the bag. We haven't had any problems with cheating.

ff151
11-21-2009, 20:17
Well guys I have been thinking about this and first off, I think it would be a great revenue for the Wings of War company to sell a "deluxe" counter set for both the WWI and WWII versions of the game.

Let's be honest, who here would buy a counter set that was made from high quality plastic that would replace the set that came with their game? I know I would as long as they were made very well and that the markings on the plastic chips didn't easily wear off. What would you pay $30 bucks if the set was decent? I am sorry for not knowing who is associated with fantasy flight games that visits this board, but if there is, could you chime in to whether you guys have ever thought of producing a quality counter set?

Here is my latest Idea that I think I am going to try. (It sure would be easier if I could just go out and buy it though!":rolleyes:

-use the EXACT number of counters that came with the game for each separate counter (i.e the exact number of 0's, 1's, 2's etc)
-come up with my own icon that resembles the WOW icons (I would not want to infringe on copyright issues even though I am making this for my game and not distributingit)
-with the huge rise in texas hold-em, 11.5 gram poker chips have become quite cheap and I would buy them to create my own high quality counters. Yes they are ALOT bigger than the original cardboad counters, but much harder to lose then too!
-either use a letter template to paint the correct letter on one side, and use the damage number and any other symbol that I have created templates for to exactly match the counter set that came with the game, or simply go to staples and buy circular labels that would fit in the centre. That way if any got damaged it would easily be repaired!

here is a link, 25 chips for 2 bucks! even if you got 10 different colours you are only talking 20 bucks and some work on the computer to set up the correct labels.

http://www.ultimatepokersupplies.com/catalog/White-5-Spot-Blank-Poker-Chips-115g-Sold-in-packs-of-25-p-811.html

The neat thing about poker chips is you can get them in a bazillion colours to fairly closely match the original colour counters that came with the game.

I hope to do a couple test chips this week, if there is any interest I can do a tutorial and work in progress regarding these counters.....

Feedback is welcomed!

FF

Greywolf
11-21-2009, 22:43
let me know how your went with the test chips.

could be interested in looking at how they work...

Cheers
GW