PDA

View Full Version : Patrol over Paschendale

Beer&pretzels
07-18-2011, 13:04
To: Commanders GC12 et GC13,

Monsieurs,
Last evening at 1800 hrs, after reading some recent after action reports (which by the way did not seem to favor our side), Captaine Thenault requested a volunteer to fly our last Nieuport over to Groupe de Combat 12 and return in a new SPAD VII. I volunteered, it would be a final chance to fly one of my old planes, I could commiserate briefly with old squadron mates and get a flight in a brand new bird. La vie a bel! I left our base at 0400 and arrived at GC 12 at dawn. Two Nieuports were prepped for a patrol, but right before takeoff one of the planes developed engine problems and was scratched for flight. I found out that my new SPAD just left with a new pilot for our squadron. My old friend and squadrion mate Lt. Nungesser was in the ready Nieuport so I volunteered to accompany him on patrol. His commander agreed saying, if I didn't return he would have less paper work to fill out. Merci!

Our mission was to scout over the lines around Paschendale. The major offensive was mostly over, but there still was fighting in the area.

Passing over le Bosche lines we observed two of the new Fokker tri-planes. The Fokkers spotted us and started to dance and weave but we bore straight at them. I climbed slightly to the left of Lt. Nungesser as we approached the Fokkers. Our position allowed both of us to fire directly at short range into the red Fokker, but both huns fired on Lt. Nungesser. As we passed, I performed an Immelman turn, Lt. Nungesser turned to the right and both huns made hard right turns. The manouevers put the green Fokker (incidentally marked "Kempf" across the top wing) into my sites. I let him have it at close range. I momentarily lost contact with Kempf, but was able to fire into the red Fokker at long range. Both Fokkers appeared to have lost some manouverability and all of us approached each other from the front once again. This time I fired on the red Fokker and Lt. Nungesser fired on the green Fokker. The red Fokker exploded in front of me but Lt. Nungesser caught on fire. Nungesser rapidly lost altitude and I turned on the Fokker. Both of us traded shots at long distance until he caught fire and I was able to get behind him and deliver the coup de grace. i followed him down until he landed behind enemy lines. I left to find Lt. Nungesser. His plane landed in no mans land and had appeared to have taken a couple of mortar hits. I could see a group of Tommies come out of their trenchworks to investigate while a group of huns were also on their way. I turned around and strafed the huns until I ran out of ammunition. At that point, I left to return to my battered Nieuport to its new owners.

As I write I am not sure of the outcome of Lt. Nungesser. I did not see him as I passed over his wrecked plane, I can only hope that the British are treating him to a hearty draft and a quick return to the air.

Also, I must report that these Fokker tri-planes have good, tricky manouverability. Especially a nice hard right turn and a very good climb ability. However, they don't seem very fast at level flight or in a dive. SPAD VII's should have no problem running them down.

Vie La France!
Sous Lt. Raoul Lufberry,
GC 13, SPA124, Chaudon Aerodrome, November 10, 1917

The above action took place between Wolf and Beer&pretzels at The College of Dupage, 7/15/2011. It was good meeting you william and we will definitely geet together again!

The Cowman
07-18-2011, 13:18
Nice AAR! :clap:

Albert Ross
07-18-2011, 14:23
Excellent report, mon camarade, and highly commendable action in downing two enemies and covering a fallen escadron mate. Your report on the capabilities and weaknesses of this new Boche machine will most valuable to the High Command, and assist our pilots in dealing with them. La Belle France thanks you :medal:

Aero825
07-18-2011, 22:14
Great! I love the way you worked the story into the AAR. Brilliant! :clap::clap::clap:

Watchdog
07-19-2011, 01:14
Nice AAR, keep 'em coming.:thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2011, 04:27
It seems as if our gallant Allies are having a good day all round judging by all these AAr's. Well done and well reported.:salute:
Rob.