PDA

View Full Version : What do they teach our kids at school?

aarondpjames
11-18-2009, 13:09
Don’t worry, I'm not going to have a rant and rave out the state of education and all that, but I did hear something on the radio the other day that worried and amused me, both at the same time.

I was listening to Radio 2 (a British station) the other day whilst I was driving to work, and the presenters started giving out some of the results of a questionnaire that had been answered by school kids, on the subject of the WW2.

Of all the mad answers the kids gave, these stood out in my memory.

1. 30% thought Adolf Hitler had at some time been the coach for the German football team.

2. 20% thought the Holocaust was a celebration to mark the end of the war.

3. 30% thought the Blitz was the clean up operation held in London after the war.

Hum? :rolleyes:

Scoop
11-19-2009, 10:56
Funny thing, heard about this in a forum about football. The question was why English newspapers (if you can call the SUN a newspaper at all) often connect football with the 2nd world war. There might be the conncetion between Hitler and our national football team. I actually found a beer can in England, the beer was called spitfire ale. On the can was an MKI and all around the football results when England won against Germany. But I don't want to blame you lads over there, as far as I know the Polish also made this connection during the european football championship (it's all to easy).

Well, shocking after all, at least German kids wouldn't connect Hitler with football, but I wouldn't bet they've ever heard of the word "Blitzkrieg" or knew the heads of the axis' and allis' leaders (save Hitler).