PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Cockpit

Oberst Hajj
07-15-2011, 20:18
The Advanced Cockpit (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/aides-accessories/advanced-cockpit.html) has been a long time in development and testing. It has under gone several design revisions based on play testing and production expenses. Below is what the finale Advanced Cockpit will have and look like. It has been optimized to allow you to track and use many of the most popular optional and house rules. It works very well with the Knights of the Air campaign rules.

The Advanced Cockpit is available now.

Benefits

Maneuver Deck place holder
Ammo place holder (for use with Limited Ammo house rules)
Aircraft Stat card place holder
Damage and +1 Optional rule Damage place holders
Damage Dial to track how much damage your plane has taken (no more counting damage points during the game!)
Maneuver selection slots (with the maneuver cards facing you, you will never make a wrong turn again!)
Altitude Dial (Easily keep track of your planes altitude and number of climb counters with out the use of counters or pen and paper!)
Ace Skill selection slots (When your pilot becomes an Ace, keep your Ace Skill cards handy to use against your enemy!)
Comes apart for easy storage and transport

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-5.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-7.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-10.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-8.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-9.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-1.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-2.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-3.jpg

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/advcockpit-4.jpg

Burt
07-15-2011, 22:00
Well Herr Oberst these Cockpits look the Bees Knees to me.
I wasn't too interested before but having seen them in the flesh I think I will have to get some.
Don

Skullduggery
07-15-2011, 23:03
now that looks sharp !:thumbsup:

Ginarley
07-15-2011, 23:18
Looks very cool :)

Did you find in play testing that the damage dial added much to gameplay? My initial impression is that we probably wouldn't use it since the cards are right there anyway but it might be one of those things that once you try it you never go back...

Boney10
07-16-2011, 02:20
Now that looks nice, nice indeed.. my thats another order when they come in, at least 4 (sigh).
Just a question about the damage dial, is it not visable to the opposing pilots so they will be able to see how much life is left on your plane or is the back plate opaque at that point ?

flash
07-16-2011, 02:41
Nice job Keith - can you fit a throttle on one side & a stick in the middle?!!

Guntruck
07-16-2011, 02:44
We are liking these a lot!

What it really needs is an electronic gizmo so that you can make 'dagga dagga dagga' noises when you get on someone's tail.

usmc1855
07-16-2011, 03:49
I like it! I'll be standing by to make my pre-order as soon as your ready to accept it,

Dan-Sam
07-16-2011, 05:41
Keith, do you thinking about creating separate altimeters? They can be based on plexiglas squere sized like flak markers. I think it will be a good alternative to flight stands.

richard m schwab
07-16-2011, 05:51
Keith!

Great idea! Do not forget the DOW crowd!

Rich

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 06:08

Did you find in play testing that the damage dial added much to gameplay? My initial impression is that we probably wouldn't use it since the cards are right there anyway but it might be one of those things that once you try it you never go back...

I've found it pretty handy. You do have to make your self use it in the beginning, but after you get used to turning the dial, it's very easy to just glance down and see how much damage you have. It is also great for keeping it a secret how close to going down you really are... when my opponents see people looking through there damage cards and counting, they know we are at least getting close to going down... it's like blood in the water!

Now that looks nice, nice indeed.. my thats another order when they come in, at least 4 (sigh).
Just a question about the damage dial, is it not visable to the opposing pilots so they will be able to see how much life is left on your plane or is the back plate opaque at that point ?

Per the part in the first post ;), the finial product will not be made out of the tinted acrylic so you will not be able to see through it.

Nice job Keith - can you fit a throttle on one side & a stick in the middle?!!

I've working with someone on a different project that should fill that need for you :D

Keith, do you thinking about creating separate altimeters? They can be based on plexiglas squere sized like flak markers. I think it will be a good alternative to flight stands.

So, you are wanting just a small altitude dial to keep close at hand? I'm sure I could use the Flak base and my normal dials and just offer them as an Altitude Dial product... would that work?

Keith!

As long as sells of these are good, I'll make a DOW version. In the past, DOW only products sell only a small percentage of what WOW products do :(

Dan-Sam
07-16-2011, 06:45
So, you are wanting just a small altitude dial to keep close at hand? I'm sure I could use the Flak base and my normal dials and just offer them as an Altitude Dial product... would that work?
Yes, you described it exactly! Thank you! :thumbsup:
I have some question about hangars - I will send a PM (hope today).

Ginarley
07-16-2011, 07:04
I've found it pretty handy. You do have to make your self use it in the beginning, but after you get used to turning the dial, it's very easy to just glance down and see how much damage you have. It is also great for keeping it a secret how close to going down you really are... when my opponents see people looking through there damage cards and counting, they know we are at least getting close to going down... it's like blood in the water

Cool - do you find people notice you moving the dial when you get damage (i.e. that wasn't a zero)? I have actually thought about a card holder for damage cards (like you have here for manoeuvre cards) to get around the card counting problem. Hmmm that might be an alternative use for the rear card slot...

Aero825
07-16-2011, 07:08
Amazing!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 07:16
Cool - do you find people notice you moving the dial when you get damage (i.e. that wasn't a zero)? I have actually thought about a card holder for damage cards (like you have here for manoeuvre cards) to get around the card counting problem. Hmmm that might be an alternative use for the rear card slot...

If they are watching you that closely, just wait to turn your dial when you are planning your next set of moves. Or do what I do, "turn" the dial regardless if it is a point or a 0. Just pretending like this is enough to throw them off.

Another thought for you, if you are not using Ace Skills, those card slots will be open. You could use one for 0s, one for normal damage points and one for the +1 damage points. But at some point they are going to figure out which slot you use for what... again, if they are watching that close.

Lugburz
07-16-2011, 07:16
Quick question: I see that you're using altitude pegs to hold down the damage and altitude dials. Are players expected to glue these into the control panel so they become a permanent fixture, or can they be removed and used for planes? If they are removable, how easy are they to get in & out of place.

I ask only because this is what would make or break an order for me. I have not been blessed with the good fortune of owning "extras" or duplicate planes whose pegs I can pilfer for other uses. As you know, I display all of my planes on their stands and bases. This is another reason why I'm hesitant to buy the gimbal mounts. I'd like to get them but I don't have extra pegs to use (which is why I would buy lots of extra pegs if you ever got them into production).

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 07:22
Quick question: I see that you're using altitude pegs to hold down the damage and altitude dials. Are players expected to glue these into the control panel so they become a permanent fixture, or can they be removed and used for planes? If they are removable, how easy are they to get in & out of place.

I ask only because this is what would make or break an order for me. I have not been blessed with the good fortune of owning "extras" or duplicate planes whose pegs I can pilfer for other uses. As you know, I display all of my planes on their stands and bases. This is another reason why I'm hesitant to buy the gimbal mounts. I'd like to get them but I don't have extra pegs to use (which is why I would buy lots of extra pegs if you ever got them into production).

The dials require pegs just like my bases. These vids might help you:

Aerodrome Accessories Flight stand/center peg (http://wingsofwar.org/products/vids/centerpeg.wmv)

Gimbal Mounts (http://wingsofwar.org/products/vids/gimbal.wmv)

OrlokSubedei
07-16-2011, 08:35
Will sleeved cards fit into slots? I sleeve all my cards to reduce wear (although not necessarily a constant issue in WoW since the damage decks are the ones that get the constant shuffling) and prevent damage from drink spills and "cheetos" fingers.

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 08:37
I don't have sleeves to test them, but they should. The slots are slightly wider then the cards and much thicker.

OrlokSubedei
07-16-2011, 08:59
Here is a picture with a width measurement. The sleeves are supposed to be 45mm wide, but there can be some variance. The ruler says that the card sleeves are very close to 47mm wide.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16750&d=1310831761

Skullduggery
07-16-2011, 08:59

I have played with a group that has a house rule for damage. When they take damage they write it down and shuffle the cards back in. This way they try to keep the odds of drawing any single card the same.

Boney10
07-16-2011, 09:59
We are liking these a lot!

What it really needs is an electronic gizmo so that you can make 'dagga dagga dagga' noises when you get on someone's tail.

ooops I thought that was the noice we were supposed to make while playing:guns: no wonder I been getting strange looks :cheezy: oh well back to the mess :drinks:

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 10:03
Here is a picture with a width measurement. The sleeves are supposed to be 45mm wide, but there can be some variance. The ruler says that the card sleeves are very close to 47mm wide.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16750&d=1310831761

The slots are 44mm wide. If the sleeves are mostly 47mm, that would require at least 48mm slots (need room to fit). There is not enough room for me to squeeze that much extra space in for each slot.

I have played with a group that has a house rule for damage. When they take damage they write it down and shuffle the cards back in. This way they try to keep the odds of drawing any single card the same.

Yes, the damage dial would work great for those that use this house rule.

Tommy Z
07-16-2011, 10:09
Very nice...(checks credit card balance) :minis::envy:

wargamer
07-16-2011, 11:45
Oh, nicely done. Checking accounts.... and these will be available when? (hopefully funds will be in by then)

richard m schwab
07-16-2011, 14:03
Keith!

I will live with that sad news!:) We DOW players will have to hope our turn comes!;)

P.S. A solid back and sides would confuse any sharp eyed enemy!;)

Rich

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 14:53
Rich, I will not rule out a "Group Buy" for some of the DoW stuff if it is needed. The new laser shop has really quick turn around and that makes all the difference in the world with doing small runs.

gully_raker
07-16-2011, 18:01
That looks Fantastic Keith!:salute: Great work!:clap::clap::thumbsup:

Do you have a cost for them yet?

Oberst Hajj
07-16-2011, 18:44
Price is still being worked out. I will say these will not be cheap. There is a lot of acrylic and laser time cutting and etching the things!

Naharaht
07-16-2011, 19:35
Are those 'Ace skill cards' somewhere in the files, please?

tuladin
07-16-2011, 20:55

They're right here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=20).

richard m schwab
07-17-2011, 04:25
Keith!

The DOW version could be smaller than the WOW cockpit! Only two maneuver slots, which means one card narrower! Keep us in mind!

Rich

Oberst Hajj
07-17-2011, 05:56

tuladin linked to some Ace Skill cards, but the ones in my photo are going to be part of Knights of the Air 2 ;)

They're right here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=20).

Not quite the same, have a look at my reply just above your quote. Thanks for link to those cards though, it's always good to get more info out there!

Keith!

The DOW version could be smaller than the WOW cockpit! Only two maneuver slots, which means one card narrower! Keep us in mind!

Rich

Good point Rich. Don't worry, you DoW guys are always in mind!

BobP
07-17-2011, 14:07
WOW WOW WOW they look as the valley girls sa AWESOME. Have to place an order. You better be making a few hundred.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-17-2011, 14:49
:salute:That is a must have Herr Oberst.:salute:
Rob.

Naharaht
07-17-2011, 18:54
Thank you, Tuladin.

schoon
07-19-2011, 13:37
Very, very nice. I will have to add those to my Aerodrome box!

Sheryl Nantus
07-20-2011, 09:41
oooh... I like!

Naharaht
07-20-2011, 17:14
Could Shapeways produce spare altitude pegs?

Albert Ross
07-20-2011, 20:17

Now there's a thought!:pray:

They already produce jewelry and beads, so clear acrylic pegs should be cheap, simple and sell by the bag full - the only possible issue here could be copyright, but that can be got around by changing the specification slightly.
That might not be a bad idea anyway as I personally would prefer Litko style 1", 1.5" and 2" pegs for scouts and 2 seaters.

Is Duann on here?:minis:

Bartman
07-20-2011, 21:14
Keith this is a great looking product! Good work.

Can't wait to get these to the table.

Oberst Hajj
07-20-2011, 22:19

I can tell you how these would look here in a couple of weeks as I have one of just about ever material ordered and in production already. Not to get this thread off topic, but I don't really think Shapeways will work for flight pegs. I don't know how clear they will be with all the layer lines and such. I have ordered them just for fitment testing of my CAD files before having "real" pegs made up.

Wolf
07-20-2011, 23:11
Well there goes pay check again WOW.

Doug
07-21-2011, 00:33
I would like to put in for a bulk buy of at least six, as they are going to make great Christmas presents.

Big Al
07-21-2011, 04:01
Keith!

Rich

Won't these do for DOW as well? I know ideally we would like one for each, but if it isn't worth Keith making a different one because of low take up, surely this will fit the bill for both games?

Al

Boney10
07-21-2011, 04:38
Per the part in the first post ;), the finial product will not be made out of the tinted acrylic so you will not be able to see through it.

So it does.. ok Oberst have cleaned my glasses now

Oberst Hajj
07-21-2011, 06:02
Won't these do for DOW as well? I know ideally we would like one for each, but if it isn't worth Keith making a different one because of low take up, surely this will fit the bill for both games?

Al

You could use these for DoW, but many of the features of them would be of no use and the ones that could be used would have to be "fudged" a little to work. Well, that altitude and damage dials would work as is.

Redwolf
07-21-2011, 09:49
excellent I love em

how easy would it be to convert for WWII ? and the tokens used there ?

Oberst Hajj
07-22-2011, 00:12
A conversion would not really work. For DoW a complete redesign would really be in order. They could/would be smaller for starters.... but that's another thread.

Bixby
07-22-2011, 06:59
Looking Great Keith!!

Hunter
08-06-2011, 05:11
Just pre-ordered two of those puppies! They look great and I think they will be functional and add to the realism of being a pilot. Good job there Oberst Keith!

Flying Officer Kyte
08-06-2011, 11:51
My order for two is winging its way to you Herr Oberst.:salute:
Rob.

gully_raker
08-06-2011, 17:32
:salute: G'day Keith! As they are up for preorder have you established a Cost yet?:)

Oberst Hajj
08-06-2011, 18:36
Barry, the first post is updated with the cost as well as the AA site where you order it from ;)

gully_raker
08-07-2011, 19:02
:salute: Thanks Keith! Should have looked there first!:erk:

Flying Officer Kyte
08-31-2011, 00:58
My cockpits arrived today, and I can confirm that they are just as good as they look on the pictures. i can't wait to get my first game in with them.
Thanks Herr Oberst for another first class accessory.:salute:
rob.

richard m schwab
08-31-2011, 13:29
Rob!

We need some in action shots!

Rich

Flying Officer Kyte
08-31-2011, 14:11
Rob!

We need some in action shots!

Rich

I will get onto it during my next game Rich.
Rob.

richard m schwab
08-31-2011, 17:25
Rob!

I will be looking forward to it!

Rich

usmc1855
09-10-2011, 04:24
Kieth,

Any word on the status of the Advanced Cockpits?

grumpybear
09-10-2011, 05:22
Kieth,

Any word on the status of the Advanced Cockpits?

Same question :thankyou:

Oberst Hajj
09-10-2011, 18:10
Yep, they showed up yesterday and I got them all packaged and ready to ship out first thing Monday morning! It's going to be a big trip to the Post Office!

Tommy Z
09-10-2011, 20:58
Yep, they showed up yesterday and I got them all packaged and ready to ship out first thing Monday morning! It's going to be a big trip to the Post Office!

Whoo Hoo!:singin:...and there was much rejoicing!

usmc1855
09-11-2011, 05:55
Outstanding! I'm looking forward to putting these into action.

Oberst Hajj
09-11-2011, 17:48
There are a limited number of the Advanced Cockpits in stock and ready to ship now.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-05-2011, 11:02
There are a limited number of the Advanced Cockpits in stock and ready to ship now.

Any idea when you will be restocking these Keith?
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-05-2011, 18:09
They are in stock now Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-06-2011, 01:18
They are in stock now Rob.

I seem to have a problem with my shopping cart Keith. When I go to checkout, a red message comes uo with Not acvailable in the quantity you ordered and 21 in the box. When I change the number to 1 and apply it, I still get 21. It is also giving me 6 scout bases when I ordered 2.
Please help as I must get the Advanced Cockpit before you run out again.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-06-2011, 01:23
Try logging out of the site and clearing your cookies. See if that helps.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-06-2011, 07:16
Try logging out of the site and clearing your cookies. See if that helps.

My Techie did this for me with no result.

[Hi Kieth, 'Techie' here. The only way I could get around the problem was to delete all the items out of the basket, then add them back individually. I noted that after deleting the cookie for the accessory shop in IE that it did not set another cookie when we added items to the shopping cart. In addition, when I used the shop in Firefox, the browser immediately detected what was in the cart in the IE session. Further alterations to the cart in one browser were reflected in the other, leading me to suspect that the data is actually stored server-side rather than client-side. You might know otherwise, but I've never seen this behaviour before and thought you might be interested. Cheers, James]

Order now placed O.K. thanks Keith.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-06-2011, 07:53
I was not aware that the items were stored server side... that is interesting! Thanks for the info, I'll now be able to help others out if this pops up again.

dans le mille
01-22-2012, 15:00
Hello Keith,

Just realized the advanced cockpit are out of order....
Any idea when they will be available again ?

thanks !

Oberst Hajj
01-22-2012, 23:23
Stéphane, I'll have to check my stock levels at home. I did not think I was that low on them. Have you looked at the Scout Cockpit (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/aides-accessories/cockpits/scout-cockpit.html)? It has a different layout, but serves the same purpose (and in my opinion, looks better).

Doug
01-22-2012, 23:41
:cheezy:I like the cockpits they give you that air of profesionalisum when playing against other just using the card bases boards.

Oberst Hajj
01-23-2012, 00:08
lol, intimidation is a big part of dogfighting!

dans le mille
01-23-2012, 12:32
Stéphane, I'll have to check my stock levels at home. I did not think I was that low on them. Have you looked at the Scout Cockpit (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/aides-accessories/cockpits/scout-cockpit.html)? It has a different layout, but serves the same purpose (and in my opinion, looks better).

Thanks Keith,scouts are nice but i prefer the advanced ones looks even more professional ;)

Cinther
04-22-2012, 01:09
Are these going to be in stock anytime soon? I want to place an order for other stuff too, but I'm waiting until I can get some of these so I only hav to pay shipping once.

Oberst Hajj
04-22-2012, 01:25
Sorry Dale, those will not be back in stock for a while.

Cinther
04-22-2012, 11:46
Darn :( How long is a while? Weeks? Months? A year? >.<

Oberst Hajj
04-22-2012, 23:18
Honestly, I'd say 1-3 months most likely. Sorry mate.

Cinther
04-23-2012, 00:42
No need to apologize, 1-3 months is no time at all in my book! Definitely sooner than I expected. Thanks!

Oberst Hajj
04-23-2012, 01:18
LOL, I guess we are on Wings of War time right!

Oberst Hajj
08-22-2012, 16:27
These are back in stock!

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 01:01
These are back in stock!

Can you still order them with personal details etched onto the front Herr Oberst?
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-12-2012, 07:43
Only when I go to order more black acrylic product Rob. And unfortunately, that is not going to be for a while now.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-12-2012, 08:56
Only when I go to order more black acrylic product Rob. And unfortunately, that is not going to be for a while now.

I can live with that Keith.
I am in the throes of a black acrylic project myself today.
I will show you next week when it is finished.
Might get you interested in black acrylic again yourself.( He hinted enigmatically)
Rob.