PDA

View Full Version : Squadron / Jasta decal sets from Wings of War Aerodrome

Oberst Hajj
11-18-2009, 02:57
I have found a decal artist and producer that is willing to work with me on making Squadron / Jasta decal sheets. I would like to know if you would be interested in being able to purchase decals from the Wings of War Aerodrome web site. Here are some of the details...

I am currently looking at the squadron sheets have all decals need to paint up 4 aircraft from scratch from the selected squadron. The 4 aircraft chosen would typically be the leading aces and/or the most colorful/unique paint jobs out there. I'm pretty sure I can make these available for US$9.99 plus shipping.

The exception to this would be planes that need lozenge pattern decals for the wings. For those sets, would you rather I cut back the number of planes a sheet can do, most likely to 2 planes, or would you rather have the 4 planes, but possibly at a higher cost (most likely around US$14.99 plus shipping)?

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.

Here is the first squadron that would be offered, RNAS - Squadron 9

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/render/Camel/naval9rev.jpg

The decal set would look basically like this...

aarondpjames
11-18-2009, 06:51
I really like the idea, i just done envy who ever has to do all the work to produce the goods. :(

There are other Decal suppliers out there, such as Dom from Doms Decals. If you did something different from what they produce, you may just find a decent market that you can tap into. ;)

I take it we would buy them directly through the site? If so, anychance it could take paypal payments? :D

bsmith13
11-18-2009, 06:55
This would be awesome!

Seiseki
11-18-2009, 10:35
I guess the shipping would be really cheap, so yeah I'd buy it for sure!

Greywolf
11-18-2009, 11:41
$9.99USD [$13.41NZD] isn't to bad a price it would postage that would concern me the most.

I've been stung quite bad with postage cost before not very nice. [Yes I know I live on the other side of the world and all that.] its really frustrating to find something I want to buy, but postage cost double more then the item is worth.

Only way around that I guess would be to collect all of the sales for NZ and then ship them out to everyone. *shrug*

Keep me posted on how this turns out Keith.

Cheers
GW

usmc1855
11-18-2009, 18:20
Definitely a good idea. I hope it happens. And for the planes that require lozenge pattern decals for the wings. I'd gladly pay the extra few dollars.

Zeppelin
11-18-2009, 19:06
Sounds good to me.

Oberst Hajj
11-19-2009, 02:48
Yes, you would buy theme right here through the site. I would accept paypal as well.

GW, there could be some shipping options for you that might help with this problem. We can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Greywolf
11-19-2009, 02:53
Yes, you would buy theme right here through the site. I would accept paypal as well.

GW, there could be some shipping options for you that might help with this problem. We can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

that's good. keep me apprised on the out come. I'll support it as best I can.

Cheers
GW

The Blue Baron
11-19-2009, 05:10

As well as what?

I like the idea allthough I am not sure if I would by any because I would have to repaint 4 planes to use them...

Oberst Hajj
11-19-2009, 09:01
I would have to look into other payment options, so paypal would not be the only method. I've got a few other "products" in mind for the site as well.

CappyTom
11-22-2009, 02:55
Its a great idea. So will we be going to the classifies to purchase these decals or will there be another link? Look forward to showing to the guys I fly with.
Tom

IRM
11-22-2009, 10:34
I think squadron decal sets are a great idea, I'm sure plenty of players would jump at the chance to customise their planes with them since Dom only does a handful of squadron/plane types at present. Four planes per sheet should be more than enough for your average player I'd expect. You could always release additional designs for each squadron later if enough players wanted them. I'd suggest only doing two planes per sheet for designs that need hex camo wings or similar to keep the prices all the same (and minimise the decal sheet size for posting) as long as you did a second sheet with two other schemes for that squadron.

Might be worth taking votes on which squadron or ace players wanted released.

Oberst Hajj
11-22-2009, 19:07
I would be adding a "store front" to the site if/when we offer decals. I'll have to work out the details on the ones with wing camo.

Greywolf
11-22-2009, 19:54
as long as I can get Jasta 11 & 23b I'll be happy

Cheers
GW

Roger Wilco
11-23-2009, 14:10
Hi Keith I think its an excellent idea too! If you need distribution help in the Australia/New Zealand/Asia locality so as to keep the postage prices down, just let me know as I'm more than happy to lend a hand. We can discuss further via PM if you like.
TD

Greywolf
11-23-2009, 14:16
Hi Keith I think its an excellent idea too! If you need distribution help in the Australia/New Zealand/Asia locality so as to keep the postage prices down, just let me know as I'm more than happy to lend a hand. We can discuss further via PM if you like.
TD

I can take care of the NZ sector as well through Greyknight Miniatures. msg me as well if you need help.

Cheers
GW

Pseudotheist
12-01-2009, 06:03
There are other Decal suppliers out there, such as Dom from Doms Decals. If you did something different from what they produce, you may just find a decent market that you can tap into. ;)

And frankly this sort of competition might convince Dom that raising prices is a serious option to increase the commercial viability of his line of decals.

Pseudotheist
12-05-2009, 10:39
The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to say that I really WANT at least 6 planes for a set of decals, not because I need to have 6 planes, but because I enjoy selection about which planes I want to build from each set. I haven't done more than half of any of Dom's sets, but I appreciated having the options available to choose from (and sometimes using the extras elsewhere). So, I'd still buy a set of 4 at $10, but I'd be a lot happier with 6 @ $10, even though I probably wouldn't use more than 4.

Oberst Hajj
12-05-2009, 15:25
I'm running into a few issues with offering more then 4 planes per sheet. The first is just simply space. There are only so many things I can fit on the decal sheet. I really want to offer full sets, meaning that I supply all the decals need to complete each plane from a primer-ed state.

Another issue is cost. While Dom does all of his own design and printing, I have to out source it. The draw back is the added cost to getting them made. The benefits are that I can control which ones are made and how often new sets come out (within reason for production times). I could increase the number of planes to 6 or 8 per sheet, but that would raise the price to about $19.99 a sheet. While it is still the same price per plane, the price point is way to high for most people to buy into.

The other issue is finding enough detailed drawings of more then 4 aircraft from a single Squadron. I'm not over excited about a decal sheet that just gives you a bunch of numbers and roundels. I'd much rather produce decals that give colorful and interesting planes to have on the table.

CappyTom
12-05-2009, 17:25
So is there an eta on the decals? Your getting me hungry.:D

Tom

Oberst Hajj
12-05-2009, 22:46
No real ETA yet. We are still having issues getting the red X of the Muryel plane to come out just right. It's getting close though!

Pseudotheist
12-06-2009, 10:39
Well, taking all that into consideration, I'd rather have 4 @ $9 than 8 @ $19

The Blue Baron
12-07-2009, 01:53
Well, taking all that into consideration, I'd rather have 4 @ $9 than 8 @ $19

Yes, I also would prefer 4 @ 9 $.

Greywolf
12-07-2009, 02:21
Yes, I also would prefer 4 @ 9 $.

ditto

Cheers
GW

ste_marthe
12-07-2009, 02:37
WOW! This is a great idea!

Oberst Hajj
12-07-2009, 06:57
Another thing I am looking at offering, is a sheet of general markings so people can do their own repaints as well.

Scoop
12-07-2009, 07:31
That's a good idea! Thumps up.

usmc1855
12-07-2009, 16:12
Another thing I am looking at offering, is a sheet of general markings so people can do their own repaints as well.

I'd buy into those as well!

pflanzer
12-14-2009, 21:52

Good quality generic markings is a good idea. I would buy into them. Just so I could do what I wanted to with a repaint. You need to do all the major powers to begin with.
Tony

Oberst Hajj
12-15-2009, 23:11
My thoughts on the generic markings is to put out a sheet that covers markings from early to late war for one country and then another one for a different country. The Germans changed markings quite often, so they would have a bunch of different markings on their sheet, while the US or Brits would have fewer different markings, but more of the ones they do have... if that makes sense.

usmc1855
12-20-2009, 17:05
The generic country markings are a good idea, but also do a sheet of numerals to differentiate planes in the same squadron with identical paint jobs.

The Blue Baron
01-13-2010, 00:26
Any idea when you will be able to start selling your decals, Keith?

Oberst Hajj
01-13-2010, 00:44
I just received another edit on them last night. I've got to verify how they fit and see if they need more adjustments. I will say, they are getting closer!

As an additional note, I think for future decal releases, I will make up decals to go with one of the planes/squadrons that is already out in a Wings of War mini. That would give people at least 5 planes from a single squadron to fly with.

usmc1855
01-13-2010, 18:04
........As an additional note, I think for future decal releases, I will make up decals to go with one of the planes/squadrons that is already out in a Wings of War mini. That would give people at least 5 planes from a single squadron to fly with.

Great idea! I'm anxious to see the final products.

wjhupp
01-13-2010, 19:45
I'm in. I was just going to start trying to find some decals.

Scoop
01-14-2010, 03:00
I would definitely need some for the stukas - I don't really want to buy the three modells, just the German one.

iceman
01-31-2010, 17:23
Yes these do sound like a good idea, however I think it best if you do Squadron/Jastas that compliment Doms Decals rather than compete against them. RNAS Sqn 9 would be really interesting. Down side would be the postage as well as the lousy exchange rate at the moment!

Roger Wilco
01-31-2010, 18:38
I can't wait for these decals to come out, I am really looking forward to getting hold of them. Just as a side, you will also need to make up a card for each plane too!

I'd like to see some decals of some Aces or other famous pilots aircraft not just squadron sets. You could have them as specific aircraft, a Camel set, a Dr.1 set a Spad set, etc, etc.

Scoop
02-01-2010, 03:14
Nexus should start producing that stuff as well and pack them into the boxes with the planes.

Oberst Hajj
02-01-2010, 06:56
I just got what I hope will be the next to last draft artwork for these. They are getting really close!

a_leckter
02-03-2010, 04:18
Great initiative. Sure will be a lot of people interested in create their own squadrons.
Thank you.

sparty
02-06-2010, 19:22
The generic country markings are a good idea, but also do a sheet of numerals to differentiate planes in the same squadron with identical paint jobs.

This seems like it'd be a must have item. Probably even 2 of each number to be fair since you may have a 1 and a 12 or something like that

Volant Gun
02-06-2010, 21:49
Count me in. I can't wait! :D

Kodiak
02-12-2010, 17:55
Don't forget a set for Jasta 18.:D

Von Rotherham
02-25-2010, 10:08
I'd be interested in a couple of sets as I want to start doing a few repaints myself.

Kodiak
02-25-2010, 15:29
By the way, how many planes for the different major powers are;

in a flight
in a squadron (jasta)?
in a group (jagdstaffel)?
in a wing

on paper? Thanks.

Bill

Lowell Throttle
02-25-2010, 15:29
Yes interested....Germans too.....and Lozenge decals perhaps?

Also: What would be the chances we can get undecorated WoW miniatures?

Kodiak
02-25-2010, 15:41
I vote for undecorated minis too.

Pseudotheist
02-26-2010, 08:00
Yes interested....Germans too.....and Lozenge decals perhaps?

Also: What would be the chances we can get undecorated WoW miniatures?
Lozenge decals are already available at Reviresco (http://www.tin-soldier.com/), under the Aircraft kits in their store.

And I'd rather they stick to historical paint jobs; you can always "undecorate" them yourself. basically, I don't see it being a real money maker for them.

Oberst Hajj
02-26-2010, 08:21
By "undercoated" minis, are you guys asking for minis that are just primed and ready to paint? If so, I will not be doing any of these... my pockets are not so deep as to be able to produce my own line of minis! lol

Pseudotheist
02-26-2010, 08:27
By "undercoated" minis,
Not "undercoated"; "undecorated"...

Oberst Hajj
02-26-2010, 09:05
Oh, my bad... guess that's what happens after working all night :( Yeah, I will not be doing any of those either. lol

Max von Clickenhoff
02-26-2010, 09:19
Count me in.

gregbond77
02-26-2010, 15:51
I have found a decal artist and producer that is willing to work with me on making Squadron / Jasta decal sheets. I would like to know if you would be interested in being able to purchase decals from the Wings of War Aerodrome web site. Here are some of the details...

I am currently looking at the squadron sheets have all decals need to paint up 4 aircraft from scratch from the selected squadron. The 4 aircraft chosen would typically be the leading aces and/or the most colorful/unique paint jobs out there. I'm pretty sure I can make these available for US$9.99 plus shipping.

The exception to this would be planes that need lozenge pattern decals for the wings. For those sets, would you rather I cut back the number of planes a sheet can do, most likely to 2 planes, or would you rather have the 4 planes, but possibly at a higher cost (most likely around US$14.99 plus shipping)?

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.

Here is the first squadron that would be offered, RNAS - Squadron 9

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/render/Camel/naval9rev.jpg

Yes I would be very interested in the decals. It does not matter to me how many planes per sheet, what ever works best for you. If you are looking for references for paint schemes try Windsock Datafiles(Albatros productions) or Osprey. I will warn you Albatros productions datafiles are EXPENSIVE. Although they are considered to be the best and most accurate source of information on world war one aircraft.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-06-2010, 05:43
Bring it on. As you may have seen from another thread, I have had a stab at producing my own for Albert Ball. As far as it goes I would rather pay your price to spend my time on playing rather than creating sets on the computer.
Rob.

Guntruck
09-21-2010, 01:53
Lozenge decals are already available at Reviresco, under the Aircraft kits in their store.

The Reviresco lozenge isn't particularly accurate in terms of colour or pattern. If someone can bring out a better lozenge decal, then they've got my money.

Pseudotheist
09-21-2010, 05:10
The Reviresco lozenge isn't particularly accurate in terms of colour or pattern.
Can you elaborate? I think they're more accurate than the lozenge on most of the WoW models, anyway...

Guntruck
09-21-2010, 06:16
Absolutely they are an improvement over WoW lozenge, and I have happily used John McEwan's decals in the past as an alternative to painting the pattern myself (not an option with my cack-handed painting).

The pattern itself is pretty good, and my only problem is that I feel some of the colours used are a bit bright. This may well be the result of whatever printing process is used, but I think they would look better if they were not so vibrant.

While we are on the subject of lozenge, does anybody know whether the lengths were ever stitched on to a wing on the diagonal rather than 'fore and aft'? I'm looking at the Reviresco decal sheet for the SSW D.III - the one that includes two fuselage 'wrap-arounds' and pre-shaped lengths of lozenge to fit the wings. The wing decals have been printed so that each section of lozenge has been joined to the next section on the diagonal (see below). Is this correct?

Pseudotheist
09-21-2010, 07:00
I can see that, but for for my money it seems that you can find evidence to support colors as bright or as dull as you want them to be when it comes to WWI camo. Did you consider a thin brown wash over top of the applied decals?

As for the bias application, it is covered in this great thread over here (http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=87962&ord=&page=1). Many of the pictures aren't working right now for me, but I'm hoping that's because I'm at work. There's a post on page 2 that I think covers your question fairly thoroughly:

From the venerable Dan San Abbott, here is a bit more on the specific factories that used what appications. Note the term bias is meant to decribe the factory edge to factory edge unions of fabric bolts layed out at the 45 degree angle.

"...Almost all German aircraft factories used the chordwise method of covering wings. The Halberstadt, DFW and Siemens Schuckert used the bias (angled) covering method with the warp yarns (seams) at 45 degrees to the leading edge.

Some used the spanwise wing covering were used by Alb.D.Va on one production batch which included Alb.D.Va5390/17. Siemens-Schuckert used bias(angled) covering on the upper wing and spanwise on the lower wings on the SSW D.III fighter. (Remember my build of the SSW D.III?)

DFW built DFW C.V were bias (angled) covered on all their orders except Aviatik built, serial numbers DFW C.V (Av) 5825/16 to 5974/16 and all subsequent Aviatik built machines through serial DFW C.V(Av) 8249/18.
It is my understanding that bias (angled) wing covering were used on wings where wing warping was used for (lateral) roll control..."

Guntruck
09-21-2010, 07:29
I can see that, but for for my money it seems that you can find evidence to support colors as bright or as dull as you want them to be when it comes to WWI camo. Did you consider a thin brown wash over top of the applied decals?

Well as far as the colours are concerned I guess it's whatever floats your boat. I tried a grey wash which worked quite well, haven't tried brown.

That's a good link you gave there - answered my question, thanks.

Dom S
09-21-2010, 07:38
Great info - I knew some did use the 45 degree angled application, but a breakdown of just who is great :D

Oberst Hajj
09-21-2010, 08:07
Lozenge pattern decals are on my list to produce as well... just have to get the first two sets out first :(

Dom S
09-21-2010, 08:10
Sounds painfully familiar.....

Coog
09-21-2010, 12:10
I would definitely purchase some. Still looking forward to your generic sets also.

Captain Knowitall
09-26-2010, 16:36
DING DING DING DING!!! DITTO THAT!!
Have a sheet with country markings as well as numerals and Letters.

If so inclined, some general art work like animals and such.

Kahlerclan
09-26-2010, 22:35
Jasta 40s under Carl Degelow for me - especially now that we have a Pfalz DIII in addition to the Fokker DVII - need my White Stag!!

Doug
09-26-2010, 23:34
For me they would not be of use as I only buy 1 of the models, but for those who like to form units ie different players with the same squadron markings its a great idea. I hope you could expand the range to cover other nations that don't have any markings produced for them, eg the Condor legion in the SCW, or Australia, or Duch for WW2 Dutch East indies ect ect

Dom S
09-27-2010, 02:06
For me they would not be of use as I only buy 1 of the models, but for those who like to form units ie different players with the same squadron markings its a great idea.
Yeah, it's amazing nobody's thought of it already. Oh, hang on.... :rolleyes:

Guntruck
09-27-2010, 07:38
For me they would not be of use as I only buy 1 of the models, but for those who like to form units ie different players with the same squadron markings its a great idea.

Nah, it'd never catch on :p

Oberst Hajj
09-27-2010, 07:53
Okay, the Naval 9 and British roundel, number, and letter generic sheet is finally finished and printing will be starting this week. I hope to make the announcement that they are up in the store sometime next week!

Oberst Hajj
09-27-2010, 08:00
There were some slight changes to the Generic sheets, so here is what the final version of everything will look like.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4558

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4843

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=4842

bsmith13
09-27-2010, 08:50
Sign me up!

Coog
09-27-2010, 13:39
Glad to see the small roundels added. Can't wait to get some.

Doug
09-27-2010, 19:03
Now I remember somebody by the name of Dom has already done that!

Kahlerclan
09-27-2010, 20:37
Sign me up - I just ordered "one of each" from Dom and still need (want) more to feed the addiction

Christophe
09-28-2010, 13:27
as long as I can get Jasta 11 & 23b I'll be happy

Cheers
GW

I'm after jasta 11/jg1 as well. After seeing the first lot I'm realy impressed and would gladly pay for a four set. At the mo I'm trying to build Richtoffen's jasta 11 early years, where they flew mainly Albatross' (5 aircraft). Then the later grouping of Richtoffen(JG1) with jasta 11, DR I's (8 aircraft). Should be enough to get on with for now.

Oberst Hajj
09-28-2010, 13:48
The number of complete planes I can put on the sheet will depend on the size of the decals for each plane. The Naval 9 all had rather large personal insignia. I will always try to get as many full planes on a sheet as I can.

I've actually been thinking of doing sets that will go with the planes that are already out. So, adding more Dr.I's to with the Baron would be on the list... but then too is Dr.I for Jasta Boelcke. Some really cool paint jobs in that Jasta!

Dom S
09-28-2010, 13:51
Of the two, Boelcke seems more of a decal job to me - Jasta 11 is primarily a repainting job which could use a few decals to finish it off.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-02-2010, 08:03
Of the two, Boelcke seems more of a decal job to me - Jasta 11 is primarily a repainting job which could use a few decals to finish it off.
So it's all a load of Boelcke's then Dom. :o
Rob.

Christophe
10-02-2010, 12:39
Early Jasta 11 are flying the Albatross, so some maltese crosses wouldn't go amiss for them and also for later jasta 11 when they are flying the DR1's

Dom S
10-02-2010, 14:57
Rob - even by my standards that Voss terrible....

Guntruck
10-02-2010, 15:33
This is Goering to get worse before it gets better

I'll get my coat...... :o

Oberst Hajj
10-03-2010, 06:44
Early Jasta 11 are flying the Albatross, so some maltese crosses wouldn't go amiss for them and also for later jasta 11 when they are flying the DR1's

Jasta 11 Albatrosses are on the possible list for future decals. All depends on how well the earlier ones sell.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-03-2010, 08:13
This is Goering to get worse before it gets better

I'll get my coat...... :o
If you hang on Jasta moment I'll get my hat and join you.:D
Rob.

Christophe
10-03-2010, 10:31
This entry should be retitled 'groaners corner' lol

Flying Officer Kyte
10-03-2010, 11:01
This entry should be retitled 'groaners corner' lol
Let's move the jokes to the Officers Club before it gets any worse.After all this thread is meant to be about decal essence.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-14-2010, 04:11
Just a quick announcement to let everyone know the Naval 9 decals and both black and white General British Markings for Camels have come in! I'll have them up in the store for order in the next day or so with finished examples of the miniatures a few days after that!

robotwizard
10-24-2010, 12:36
Fantastic job, Col Hajj, these decals look great! Looking forward to seeing other sets in the future as well.

tonyc206
10-25-2010, 04:16
Not interested in the Naval 9 decals at all. However I'll go for a few sets of the generic as it's always useful having a range of font styles and sizes. These may work for my

For lettering and numbers I find letraset very useful. What is missing is the squadron markings, dumbells, triangles, circles, squares, etc, and personally I always do 6 scouts or 4 two-seaters per flight, so 4 scouts won't work for me.

I already have a flight of 6 Camels completely re-painted as 45 sqn just waiting for Dom to finish his decal set. Should be sometime this week according to the message on his website - lol

As for the loxenge pattern; Bring it on!!!

tonyc206
10-25-2010, 04:23

Indeed Dom. As you can see here

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/tonyc206/Wings%20of%20War%20Re-Paints/Jasta11Front.jpg

This is my Jasta 11. All re-painted and nothing more than 'Dom's' national markings used.

Dom S
10-25-2010, 05:15
Blooming 'eck - lovely job Tony - don't think I've seen those before. Of course, you realise that if those were all von Richthofen models you used, you're probably about to start getting death threats.... :rolleyes:

Guntruck
10-25-2010, 05:23
oooooh, shiny! Luvverly paint jobs there Tony

Burt
10-25-2010, 06:01
Fantastic job.
I wouldnt like to see that lot coming across the table towards me:eek:
Luckily I fly mostly German planes
Don

tonyc206
10-25-2010, 06:33
Blooming 'eck - lovely job Tony - don't think I've seen those before. Of course, you realise that if those were all von Richthofen models you used, you're probably about to start getting death threats.... :rolleyes:

No they are all re-painted 'Rahn' models apart from the Von Richthofen itself and I did get them all from you about 2 years ago ;-)

Thank you for the comments guys

Tony

Ed2
10-26-2010, 23:41
Just a quick announcement to let everyone know the Naval 9 decals and both black and white General British Markings for Camels have come in! I'll have them up in the store for order in the next day or so with finished examples of the miniatures a few days after that!

Ordered 1 each. Waiting for the Camels. They do well in the Arizona desert.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-27-2010, 00:55
Ordered 1 each. Waiting for the Camels. They do well in the Arizona desert.
Don't forget your two house bricks then. :eek:
Rob.

Christophe
10-27-2010, 08:13
These are excellent Tony. I'm also building Jasta 11 lol

tonyc206
10-28-2010, 01:43
Don't forget your two house bricks then. :eek:
Rob.

....and watch your thumbs - :eek:

Dom S
10-28-2010, 05:04
Just a quick question for the Colonel - any particular reason you went for the red on the X design on B3905 - what evidence I've seen points pretty strongly to it being blue, so I'm wondering if you've seen photos I've missed...?

Flying Officer Kyte
10-28-2010, 05:12
These are excellent Tony. I'm also building Jasta 11 lol
What still ? How about this zep then.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2010, 05:18
The only "evidence" I've seen is the rendering by Mark Miller and the color profiles in Osprey Publishing "Sopwith Camel Aces of World War 1". The same book shows Camel B3883 of Flt Sub-Lt H F Stackard has having either a white and blue circle or a red and blue circle. In the end I chose the red X on B3905 as it was at least viable option and it added a little more impact to the paint scheme.

Dom S
10-28-2010, 05:20
Fair enough - must admit I've gone with blue myself based on the couple of photos I've seen, but it remains more art than science....

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2010, 05:22
Here are the Osprey profiles for anyone interested.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=5420

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=5419

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=5418

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2010, 05:23
but it remains more art than science....

Oh so true... I wish they would have used color film back then. lol

Dom S
10-28-2010, 05:42
Oh so true... I wish they would have used color film back then. lol
To be honest early colour film's even more misleading.... :( What I really wish is there'd been a consistent standard of black and white film - as it is we have several different types, which show the same colours as completely different shades, especially orthochromatic film, which shows red as black, and yellow as not far off - there are some great photos of Belgian aircraft with their distinctive black, black and black cockades.... (To add insult to injury it also "sees" into the infra-red spectrum a little, so the same object will show different shades if it's hot, eg. engine cowlings....) That said, I've just about reached the point of trusting my own judgement on photo interpretation enough that I prefer using photos to other people's artwork - have just posted a photo of B3905 as an example:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=306&pictureid=5421

It's not entirely cut-and-dried, but working from "known" colours (thank the heavens for consistent rudder stripes.... :) ) the cross seems a tonal match to the blue on the rudder - the photo's definitely been taken with orthochromatic film, as the red rudder stripe appears black, so I'd expect the X marking to be much darker in that particular photo if it was red. (Of course if the rudder was cropped from the same photo, we'd have no way of knowing if it was a red X on panchromatic B&W film, or a blue one on orthochromatic film, which I suspect is where the colour confusion arises :( - I was just lucky enough to have a photo with the rudder showing....)

Dom, who's given himself a migraine a few times with this stuff.... :rolleyes:

PS - With thanks to the Tony C lending library for its copy of Sopwith Camel King Of Combat, with lots of Naval 9 photos in it.... :D

iceman
10-28-2010, 05:46
I'm just happy that there are people like yourselves Col Hajj and Mr Skelton, who produce decals, that make our lives so much easier!

To date I've only bought from Dom and think his decals are awesome,

Jasta 19, Jasta 15, 4th AFC and generic roundels, Baulken and Maltese Crosses. I've bought stuff for my Irish and Welsh Guards as well and have yet to find any that don't set down well or are out of register!

So it's with some dismay that you have both done 9th Naval, as I don't know where to order from, had you done different Squadrons then I'd have bought a set of each!

Perhaps some collabartion on future projects might avoid the duplications and therefore the quandry?

Any way please keep up the good work both of you.

Regards

Tim

Dom S
10-28-2010, 05:48
Iceman - the colonel's Naval 9 decals are ready and on sale, and mine still aren't, so no quandary for the time being at least - if you want 'em now, buy his.... :p Hopefully the clash is a one-off; we've exchanged limited notes to at least make sure we're not working on the same projects at the moment....

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2010, 06:18
Yes, the dual N9 sheets are unfortunate. They are also my fault as I knew nearly two years ago that he had started work on them... I just did not know if he would ever get them done (no offense Dom) and I wanted these for my self... so I started working on them.

As Dom said, we are talking now and should not be stepping on each others toes :o

tonyc206
10-28-2010, 06:34
I've just ordered some of each sheet as I like to keeo a stock of as many different decals as possible. Even though I have no need of the Naval 9 ones, they may be able to be cut up and used in a completely different way.

Well done Kieth

crashx
10-28-2010, 21:08
Great idea!!! Any thoughts on which squadrons/Jastas you would have available first?

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2010, 21:30
Timothy, my next few sets of decals I am looking at doing will be a sheet of various British Squadron Markings, Jasta 5 and maybe some Spad XIII decals to go with Eddie or Luke. It all depends on how well the current decals sell. So far, they are doing okay.

tonyc206
11-07-2010, 14:10
A big "YES PLEASE!" to the British Sqn markings, Sir!

I need DH4 and RE8 roundels too, but I know Dom has plans to do them sometime.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-07-2010, 14:19
A big "YES PLEASE!" to the British Sqn markings, Sir!

I need DH4 and RE8 roundels too, but I know Dom has plans to do them sometime.
We also need big roundels and crosses for bombers and balloons to say nothing of the Zeps.
Rob.

tonyc206
11-15-2010, 08:49
Jasta 15 style crosses for the Pfalz D.III for Berthold etc...

BTW tomorrow would be an excellent time to release them - LOL

Walt Powell
11-15-2010, 11:39
[QUOTE=Col

I'd gladly pay the higher price to have four planes in one "lozenge pattern" sheet. Walt

Ed2
11-15-2010, 12:25

I'd gladly pay the higher price to have four planes in one "lozenge pattern" sheet. Walt

So would I.

RonaldRS
12-13-2010, 05:06
that would be a good price for 4 of them.:) i would buy them!!!

Timmo UK
09-08-2011, 01:45
From the range of photo's I've seen I'd agree with Dom and say Stackard's marking was certainly blue. Would like to do N9/209 sometime. Jasta's 18 and 40 would be good for a decal sheet. I'd buy Jasta 5 like a shot if they were done.

grumpybear
09-28-2011, 18:36
da mo da better:lol::drunk: