PDA

View Full Version : WGF: Series one reprint/repaints confirmed! (new pics inside)

Pages : [1] 2

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 00:14
It has been confirmed that for the Series 1 reprint, the fallowing four planes are the only ones staying the same:

Spad XIII: Rickenbaker
Camel:Elwood
Albatros D. Va: Udet
Fokker DR I: "Red Baron" Von Richtofen

The other two planes in each type will be repainted as well. Here are photos of one of each type for the repaints:

The other paint job for each time will be for these pilots:

SPAD XIII: Coadou
Camel: A Captured plane flown by Kissenberth
Albatros D. Va Jacobs
Fokker DR I: Kirschstein (most likely Hans Kirschstein)

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 00:18
some of you my note that the D.Va is mislabeled as Hippel's plane. It is in fact the plane of Oblt Richard Flashar. Not sure if this will be corrected before they are printed up.

Diamondback
06-30-2011, 00:27
Easier to change names than schemes at this point, I'd guess... not like the B-25 which is just a matter of extending the paint a little farther forward on the nose.

I'm just worried about how the "3 original/2 variant" thing is going to impact Series 2-5... S1 has the RDS to get to a nice even number of each plane at 2 trays' worth, it'd be nice to see the other sets brought up to an even "2 trays" as well.

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 00:30
Here are some profiles that would match the pilots and plane types of the remaining repaints. This is only my suggestion as to what they might be!

Hans Kirschstein

Jacobs

Diamondback
06-30-2011, 00:34
Ironically, IIRC Kirschstein's Dr.I was handed down to Udet and the only marking-change was painting his fiancee's name on the side. (That "LO" marking on his other birds was her nickname.)

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 00:34
If you are talking about my Hangar trays, I might just end up offering some with 6 of each of the Series 1 plane types... or something along those lines.

Diamondback
06-30-2011, 00:37
That and the fact that "3 of a type" seems to be an industry standard... probably because aside from RDS that's all there is so far. I'm just trying to say "6 Down The Line" makes more sense than "6/5/5/5"...

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 00:47
I would expect them to do new repaints in all the Series.

Guntruck
06-30-2011, 00:56
Well, I'll be looking forward to the SPAD and the Albatros. The Sopwith looks familar ;)Colonel

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 01:01
Yeah, tell me about it :cry: I guess the bright side is that I was redoing that decal sheet for the new printer (they will now only have the decal transfer film around the actual decal, not over the entire sheet). Looks like I will have to swap that plane out for a different one. Now, which other plane of RNAS 9 would fit in?

Flashar's Albatros was also on my jasta 5 sheet, so it will get replaced as well :hmm:

Angiolillo
06-30-2011, 01:11
some of you my note that the D.Va is mislabeled as Hippel's plane. It is in fact the plane of Oblt Richard Flashar. Not sure if this will be corrected before they are printed up.

Actually I planned to release the miniature with both airplane cards (one for each of the two pilots) but in the end only one will appear, and it will be Hippel's.

I followed indications by Dan-San Abbot, a very appreciated (and alas recently dead) aviation historian. He was asked a consulence by Jim Appleby for the paint scheme of the replica now at the Museum of Flight in Seattle:
http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/albatros-dva-l24-reproduction

He referred to photos and an article that appeared in Cross & Cockade Vol.1, No.3. He wrote that "when Oblt. Flashar, the Jasta 5 Jastaführer received a new Alb.D.V he passed D.2065/17 on to the newest pilot in the Jasta, Ltn. Hans Joachim von Hippel. Ltn.Hippel did not change any of the markings to reflect his ownership of this machine."

The forumite Gregvan at www.theaerodrome.com checked von Hippel's flight log and says on the forum that Hippel's first flight on that machine has been on the 1st of January, 1918. He joined Jasta 5 in the previous December.

In a duel against three Se5a on 18 February 1918, von Hippel lost the port lower wing of this plane. Sopme details here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/people/27459-von-hippel-help-18th-february-1918-a.html

The replica did not follow Abbot's suggestion, so it is wrong under several points of view.

Thanks a lot and all the best,

Andrea

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 01:28
Thanks for clarifying that Andrea. I would have thought they would have used the card for the pilot that owned that plane, not the pilot that got it as a hand me down. Hippel is credited with flying his "Blitz" plane most of the time:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12163&d=1304214387

Do you have any insight as to why Hippel was chosen for the card and not Flashar?

And Dan-San will be missed :(

Angiolillo
06-30-2011, 02:26
Well, we often put the name of a "user" of the specific plane depicted, being the official "owner" (if any) or not. The Camel in the Revised Deluxe belonmged to several pilots, for example, but of course Roy Brown was the one to be put on the card (I would have put a second card for Oliver William Redgate if it was possible).

The D.Va with the dragon has also been choosen for the very distinctive color scheme. Among the two, von Hippel earned two official victories and two unofficial, and he has the rare distinction of having flown in service in both world wars.
On the other hand, Richard Flashar is an interesting person too. He got two official victories. On the 5th of November, 1914, he piloted the plane that maybe got the first German aerial victory in all the war. Wioth a carabine.

Doug
06-30-2011, 02:32
But what about series five when are we going to see them? I will be happy with just the Endecker and DH2!

Nightbomber
06-30-2011, 02:55
Great news, fresh planes, let's wait for the reprint.:)

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 02:56
Andrea, this set has the second Jasta 5 plane release so far. Is this an intentional trend to end up with Jasta/Squadrons over time?

CappyTom
06-30-2011, 03:20
Sweet!

Boney10
06-30-2011, 04:01
Great, I can hardly wait ( in unhappy tone ), I have already re-painted DR1 Lothar v R, Spad XIII Madon, Camel Stackard, using the Cols decals, if they do Jacobs DVa...done that too and the Kissenberth captured camel.
So Im only interested in the Hippel DVA will this interfere with the decals you were going to do Col? , hope that DR1 Kirchstein is one of the new ones.
So a lot of the new planes I will only get to either re-paint or for the flight pegs !!!
Dont know the Coadou scheme would have like to have seen Hay de Slades from the Osprey book personally

Good news for a lot of players I suspect just not for me :(

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 04:11
Chris, I'll be changing my decals so that there are no overlaps.

grumpybear
06-30-2011, 05:19
Looking forward to all of them, can't come fast enought .

Jäger
06-30-2011, 05:25
Jeii, fantastic news! <3

The serie 1 includes all the greatest and most famous planes. I'm very glad about those schemes, they are bright and colourful and thus interesting. I especially like Kirschstein's, Lothar's and Madon's schemes. :)

I really like this. Great stuff.

wargamer
06-30-2011, 05:47
Great news, more birds, and new trays :clap:

Minion104
06-30-2011, 06:09
Ahh, more SPAD XIII's :D

I've prefered some more Americans, 13th Aero Squadron naturally!!

But the 2 new french Scheme's are sweet too.

Here's a picture of Coudou's Kite for those unfamiliar with his colours.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_t4XK4mrLfqQ/SrfbsiEOTkI/AAAAAAAAACo/Z9u-lsYwPEE/s720/spad1.JPG

Cheers! :salute:

Lugburz
06-30-2011, 06:32
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/skking5030/citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

MARVELOUS!

Burt
06-30-2011, 06:37
Oh dear more planes.:hmm:
"GREAT":thumbsup:
Will have to draw the line somewhere.:confused:
Maybe at 100 planes.:surrender:
Maybe not.;)
Don

Flying Officer Kyte
06-30-2011, 11:40
:thankyou:I will go with whatever comes.:clap: Like Chris, it will give me three repaints to repaint. I guess this time I will have to use paint remover.:pray:
Rob.

flash
06-30-2011, 12:24
Fly my pretties....fly !
of course, I will have to get Flashars Albatros !

Hunter
06-30-2011, 15:46
Oh, my! I can't believe it. Is this true? New reprints are actually coming out, soon?

MayorJim
06-30-2011, 17:25
Great news, great pics, great info from Andrea...now, do I buy the whole set of reprints or just the re-dos? hmmmmm???

bsmith13
06-30-2011, 19:17
Very good news! More minis to buy!

The Cowman
06-30-2011, 21:00
Oh dear more planes.:hmm:
"GREAT":thumbsup:
Will have to draw the line somewhere.:confused:
Maybe at 100 planes.:surrender:
Maybe not.;)
Don

Lines?!?!? We don't need no stinking lines!!! :lol:

Sweet!

Ditto! Outstanding, Awesome, and Bodacious even!

gully_raker
06-30-2011, 21:04
:thumbsup: GREAT NEWS! But When????:confused:

wargamer
06-30-2011, 21:17
:thankyou:I will go with whatever comes.:clap: Like Chris, it will give me three repaints to repaint. I guess this time I will have to use paint remover.:pray:
Rob.

Excellent idea... more repaints;)

costampede
06-30-2011, 21:25
This is great news, new planes for the collection and repaints.

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 21:38
Nexus has said Sept for Series 1b (that's what I'm calling it since it is not truly Series 1 released again). I will of course be picking up all of the new paint jobs and quite a few "extras" to do custom paints on. Can we still call our custom paints repaints if we are calling these new schemes repaints too :confused:

The Cowman
06-30-2011, 21:43
... and if we repaint a repaint, is it a re-repaint? And what is this about "extras".... You are planning on wiping out the US stock before it gets to Ohio, aren't you.... and here I thought we had bonded over not bonding over FaceBook...

Diamondback
06-30-2011, 22:27
I suggest we call our own work "Customs" and the new official releases "Variants", just to eliminate the confusion.

rote Flügel
06-30-2011, 23:21
already repainted my Lothar VR to Weis's .. and am happy to see the repaints be talked about .. and so soon too.. lets hope it happens...

Oberst Hajj
06-30-2011, 23:28
I suggest we call our own work "Customs" and the new official releases "Variants", just to eliminate the confusion. :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
07-01-2011, 01:07
I am not getting too excited about a September release date. From sad experience with Nexus, I am sceptical about which calendar they are using. Remember that the Gas Giants have a much longer year than we do here on earth. As far as I can see all we are getting at the moment is a lot of hot air.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
07-01-2011, 01:35
Rob, keep in mind that we had the first hint of the reprints coming out this year back in Feb (I had it personally from the CEO of Nexus). Now they are saying they will be out in Sept. This is the shortest prediction time we have gotten from Nexus, so it could be very accurate. Another thing to factor in is that the Series 3 WWII minis were said to be coming out in August, and they are in the Alliance distribution company's pre-order system now... lined up nicely for an August release.

I think we will see a much better on target rate for reprints as apposed to new releases.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-01-2011, 02:18
:salute:Thanks Oberst. I am just being the standard Brit. stereotype pessimist. if you take the worst case scenario, you won't be so upset when it all crumbles around you. That way you sometimes get a pleasant suprise.:minis:
Rob.:salute:

Boney10
07-01-2011, 05:30
September, September....great...erm what year ??

Flying Officer Kyte
07-01-2011, 08:27
September, September....great...erm what year ??

Joining the pessemist club then Chris? I was told there were going to be some early period planes this year too.:dazed:
Rob.

Boney10
07-01-2011, 09:37
ha ha ha hah ah ha ha ha early ha ha ha period ha ha ha planes ha this year howl howl ha ha ha...yer reight

I wonder if I am being too pessemistic :surrender:

Do like the Coudou's scheme though.

Pseudotheist
07-01-2011, 12:04
Actually I planned to release the miniature with both airplane cards (one for each of the two pilots) but in the end only one will appear, and it will be Hippel's.
Any idea why Nexus has suddenly decided to be so stingy? We got 2 cards in the Lafayette Escadrille Nieuport, so why not with this one?

Diamondback
07-01-2011, 14:42
Andrea, would you please convey a message to Nexus? "Don't go all WOTC Cheapskate on us... your product quality is the reason we tolerate the supply problems."

Hunter
07-01-2011, 15:19
I suggest we call our own work "Customs" and the new official releases "Variants", just to eliminate the confusion.

That's a great idea, D-Back!

rote Flügel
07-01-2011, 17:14
well if this is any measure of their new found determination... the owner of my FLGS told me today that Nexus is taking orders for Series 3 of the DOW.. WWII should start coming in soon.. and I get 3 Tonies and 3 P-40s.. aaaaaaaaaaha ha ha ha ahha haha ah... sorry.. got carried away there.. ahem.. so .. he also informed me that FFG is notorious for pushing new games and not bothering to even talk about old games.. I was thinking that seemed rather stupid on their part as old games that sell are far more important than new games that haven't proved themselves yet..

P-51D
07-01-2011, 18:25
We no longer have to worry about FFG. They are outof the picture for ebtter or for worse.

rote Flügel
07-01-2011, 18:37
True enough Dan.. I was mentioning it because of a conversation here on the board about what might have caused FFG to drop NG..maybe it was a plot by NG to do it this way.. that's all.. I for one will be happy if we start seeing planes and box sets start hitting the shelves soon.. very happy indeed..

CappyTom
07-01-2011, 18:45
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/skking5030/citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

MARVELOUS!

OMG Ken is that you???:eek:

:salute:
Tom

gully_raker
07-01-2011, 19:24
I am not getting too excited about a September release date. From sad experience with Nexus, I am sceptical about which calendar they are using. Remember that the Gas Giants have a much longer year than we do here on earth. As far as I can see all we are getting at the moment is a lot of hot air.
Rob.

:eek: Rob maybe they use the old Roman Calandar or even the Inca one? :confused:

Oberst Hajj
07-01-2011, 22:28
Andrea, would you please convey a message to Nexus? "Don't go all WOTC Cheapskate on us... your product quality is the reason we tolerate the supply problems."

Any idea why Nexus has suddenly decided to be so stingy? We got 2 cards in the Lafayette Escadrille Nieuport, so why not with this one?

It has less to do with being cheap and everything to do with how many cards fit on a sheet before it is all cut up.

usmc1855
07-02-2011, 07:07
Outstanding! These will be welcome additions!

Bartman
07-02-2011, 15:29
This is fabulous news :thumbsup:

I don't do repaints so whatever NG makes available is what I will have. These new schemes look like they will be beautiful. Plus, I never did get the all red Richtofen so I guess there's a lot to look forward to.

The series three WWII planes look incredible as well and with all the talk of reprints and new WWII aircraft we also have the series V WWI planes upcoming.

All of this is just exciting :thankyou:

Du doch nicht!
07-03-2011, 09:49
The news sounds not bad – in fact they’re pretty exciting!;)

Of course I especially welcome Kirschstein’s Dr.1 – that was just what I had on my wishlist!
Hippel’s/Flashar’s Albatros are a great choice too. Even though the Germans lost the war they had at least the better looking machines Jacob’s machine though reminds me a bit too much on Udet’s Albatros.
I’d rather had seen Jacobs’ Triplane and for example Berthold’s Albatros instead.
Its also not really surprising that we will have two Richthofen’s in the series. The name alone is already a seller.

What confuses me a bit is the choice of camels:
Does Nexus really want to stay with the Elwood’s Hearts-Camel? Is it perhaps meant as startup-machine for WoW-girls? :p Anyway, I guess for the repainters here it doesn’t really matters.
The Naval 9 squad. Camel is somehow a surprise too. It’s a really interesting paint scheme, but a little too odd for me. There more appealing paint-schemes out there IMHO.
But at least the Germans get some reinforcements with Kissenberth’s Camel. A really interesting and welcome twist!

I also like the new Spads. An almost all-red allied plane will surely get some attention and Coadou’s machine has a good looking paint-job too.

All in all my impression is pretty positive. The only real problem I see getting more space for displaying my airfleet!

Lugburz
07-03-2011, 10:40
Does Nexus really want to stay with the Elwood’s Hearts-Camel? Is it perhaps meant as startup-machine for WoW-girls?

Hey now! I just recently went out of my way to get my hands on Ellwood's Sopwith Camel. I suppose next you're going to say Werner Voss' Albatross DIII is a girly plane.
:eek:

Hearts or not, I appreciate that it's one of the few Entente aircraft with a little bit of "flair".
;)

Lugburz
07-03-2011, 10:42
OMG Ken is that you???:eek:

Tom

He does bear a bit of a resemblance to Orson Welles doesn't he? Hmmm... long lost family member perhaps? ;)

Du doch nicht!
07-03-2011, 10:51
Hey now! I just recently went out of my way to get my hands on Ellwood's Sopwith Camel. I suppose next you're going to say Werner Voss' Albatross DIII is a girly plane.
:eek:

Hearts or not, I appreciate that it's one of the few Entente aircraft with a little bit of "flair".
;)

Hehe, I almost forgot about him! Thankfully I did marked irony with a smiley ;)
Well, to be honest I do own neither of them. Hearts just dont work for me when it comes to warmachines ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
07-03-2011, 10:54
Kissenberth’s Camel is interesting in more ways than one. Are we going to need new rules for the chance of friendly fire from both aircraft and AA batteries. Also should he not get a bonus for suprise when attacking allied aircraft?
Rob.

Rabbit 3
07-03-2011, 10:54
Yeah, tell me about it :cry: I guess the bright side is that I was redoing that decal sheet for the new printer (they will now only have the decal transfer film around the actual decal, not over the entire sheet). Looks like I will have to swap that plane out for a different one. Now, which other plane of RNAS 9 would fit in?

Flashar's Albatros was also on my jasta 5 sheet, so it will get replaced as well :hmm:
A le Boutillier one might be nice.
D3338 rather than D3858, though that one would make a good companion for the Roy Brown Camel.

The Red Baron
07-03-2011, 11:27
More planes !!! Im already over 100 !!!! Just means another $100 worth of storage cases and more planes for the campaign. WHen are the bombers coming to the US ??? I need them and build the SKYTREX stinks. Use EPOXY, super glue will not hold the bombers together.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-03-2011, 11:41
I keep looking at Naval 10 and hanging my tongue out. :pray::minis:
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
07-03-2011, 11:54
What confuses me a bit is the choice of camels:
Does Nexus really want to stay with the Elwood’s Hearts-Camel? Is it perhaps meant as startup-machine for WoW-girls? :p

In fact that was one of the very reasons they picked it. And if Elwood was man enough to fly those hearts in to battle, I sure am man enough to fly them on the table top! I think Barker was dropped as he is also in the Snipe... here I think he will stay. Very few Snipes out there with interesting color schemes... so keeping the famous name on it will help.

A le Boutillier one might be nice.
D3338 rather than D3858, though that one would make a good companion for the Roy Brown Camel.

Can you PM me some photos/profiles and any info you have on those planes/pilots please?"

BobP
07-03-2011, 12:56
WOW only have to buy 8 new models and not the whole set. Saw the prints of the repaints and can't to see/get them. These, the WW2 set and the bombers (WW1/WW2) will put me over the 100 mark in planes. Can't wait for all to come on line.

Hunter
07-03-2011, 16:56
Kissenberth’s Camel is interesting in more ways than one. Are we going to need new rules for the chance of friendly fire from both aircraft and AA batteries. Also should he not get a bonus for suprise when attacking allied aircraft?
Rob.

I like this idea! :thumbsup:

gully_raker
07-03-2011, 18:01
;) Come on Chaps your talking about the Colour Scheme of the "Famous" A Flight Camels of RNAS Sqd.18 let by Capt Richard "Sticky" Triggers MC. Nicknamed the Hearts of Oak Squadron!:D

If memory serves me Barker also had a Heart pierced by an Arrow on the Tail Fin of his Camel & there were a few German Aircraft sporting a Heart of some sort besides Voss.

Madboyo
07-03-2011, 20:27
Can't wait. Me want now!

Boney10
07-03-2011, 23:55
Rob.

If they do Kissenberths camel as per the card it is black so not so compatable with the RFC/RAf planes.. we will see what colour scheme they use.
Think I will re-do my Lothar and change him to Weiss so can get the official Lothar in Sept (hmm)

Flying Officer Kyte
07-04-2011, 01:01
If they do Kissenberths camel as per the card it is black so not so compatable with the RFC/RAf planes.. we will see what colour scheme they use.

I don't think the colour is all that significant when AA fires at a plane Chris. The gunners just go by the outline and blat away before the markings are visible.
As for plane on plane action, I'm not so sure, but reading does suggest that some mistakes were made even as far as Sopwith Tripes and Fokker Tripes were concerned. Anyway, just an interesting "What if" suggestion.
Rob

MayorJim
07-04-2011, 12:13
Yes! ...great news, just waiting for a few months, save my money and pick these up...

Spad Mo
07-04-2011, 16:34
;) Come on Chaps your talking about the Colour Scheme of the "Famous" A Flight Camels of RNAS Sqd.18 let by Capt Richard "Sticky" Triggers MC. Nicknamed the Hearts of Oak Squadron!:D

If memory serves me Barker also had a Heart pierced by an Arrow on the Tail Fin of his Camel & there were a few German Aircraft sporting a Heart of some sort besides Voss.

I am with you about the hearts. There is nothing unmanly about hearts in warfare. Besides owning Ellwoods Camel, I also use to have a knight with a heart in his livery, (Most of you Brits know of the "Black Douglas"), there was nothing unmanly about him. Also the 24th Army Corps in the American Civil War used the heart as a corps badge. So I really do not see what the problem is with hearts,everybody has one.

Du doch nicht!
07-04-2011, 18:55
I hope noones perceiving the hearts-issue as a personal insult - which is not intended. Just pointing out a aspect which may seems curious to the not-so-informed WOW players - which I guess there plenty out there.

So... dont make a big thing of my ironic (!) comment. Rather be happy we get a bunch of new planes in the (relatively) near future - (oh that was irony too ;))

Flying Officer Kyte
07-04-2011, 23:42
Well said Keith. After all where would we be without our Ace of Hearts? that gives me an idea for another flight!
Rob.

Lugburz
07-05-2011, 06:29
Well said Keith. After all where would we be without our Ace of Hearts? that gives me an idea for another flight!
Rob.

Gullyraker has fielded a group of fictional fighters called The Hearts of Oak; they're all based around Ellwood's Sopwith Camel.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-05-2011, 08:24
Gullyraker has fielded a group of fictional fighters called The Hearts of Oak; they're all based around Ellwood's Sopwith Camel.

Yes I've been looking at those for some time with much interest. What an inspired name, and so good an idea to combine with an already extant models decal scheme. Doff's hat.
Rob.

AlgyLacey
07-05-2011, 08:45
Think I will re-do my Lothar and change him to Weiss so can get the official Lothar in Sept (hmm)

Kissenberth??!!

So now we have a set where the Huns have a 2 plane advantage. :-x

Diamondback
07-05-2011, 14:58
So, are there any cases of captured CP aircraft that could be used to "even the odds" in a future reprint?

Spad Mo
07-05-2011, 15:04
I hope noones perceiving the hearts-issue as a personal insult - which is not intended. Just pointing out a aspect which may seems curious to the not-so-informed WOW players - which I guess there plenty out there.

So... dont make a big thing of my ironic (!) comment. Rather be happy we get a bunch of new planes in the (relatively) near future - (oh that was irony too ;))
No personal insult taken at all. I was just pointing out that hearts have been used as a military symbol for a long time. In fact one of the cherished medals of the U.S. military is the Purple Heart.

gully_raker
07-05-2011, 19:18

:thumbsup: No Sweat Bjorn! No insult received!:D Just a good old bit of Joshing;)

Cant wait for September (we live in Hope!):hmm:

RJB
07-06-2011, 13:50
Excellent news! Can't wait:D

mr7q
07-06-2011, 15:18
I do wish they'd do a full reprint of the entire series, vs. just the "popular" models. I am copiously missing Rahn's Dr.1, and loathe to pay eBay prices for it. Of course, complaining of the game becoming a collectible while simultaneously attempting to purchase the whole range smacks of one wanting to have one's cake and eat it too.

Mmmm... Cake..

Lugburz
07-06-2011, 15:35
So, are there any cases of captured CP aircraft that could be used to "even the odds" in a future reprint?

Yes! Here is a photo of a captured Albatros DV with British roundels:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/DVa.jpg

Flying Officer Kyte
07-07-2011, 00:52
:money:Well there we go then. A whole new series of repaints to do, if we can find the planes.:eek:
Rob.

Hunter
07-07-2011, 02:26
If we can find the planes.

Von Schlepp
07-07-2011, 10:29
I agree with Grumpybear and so many of you above. Get em' on the Damn shelves already!!!! so sick of waiting.

Willi Von Klugermann
07-07-2011, 19:53
I agree with Grumpybear and so many of you above. Get em' on the Damn shelves already!!!! so sick of waiting.

Well said Von Schlepp.

Boney10
07-08-2011, 08:12
Hey Col if you are going to swap one of the decals may I suggest, if it has not already been done, to put Lt Banbury's Retta IV instead of Stackard :) RNAS 9

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2011, 09:19
Hey Col if you are going to swap one of the decals may I suggest, if it has not already been done, to put Lt Banbury's Retta IV instead of Stackard :) RNAS 9

Got any pics or info you can send me on this plane/pilot?

Super Handley
07-08-2011, 09:54
As someone just getting into the game, and hoping to recruit some of my friends too, I am way more excited about series 1 reprints and repaints than the bombers and series 5 planes. Bring 'em on!

Boney10
07-08-2011, 13:20
Got any pics or info you can send me on this plane/pilot?

Osprey Camel Aces pges 27 & 40 illustration 30

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2011, 22:42
Thanks. Not a bad option, not as colorful as the others though. Have a look at this thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?5446-Need-some-help-identifying-this-plane).

Flying Officer Kyte
07-09-2011, 00:05
Thanks. Not a bad option, not as colorful as the others though. Have a look at this thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=16).

:salute:The site won't allow me access to that thread Herr Oberst.:salute:
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
07-09-2011, 00:23
Thanks, fixed it.

Boney10
07-09-2011, 01:38
That link still dont work for me either Col

Oberst Hajj
07-09-2011, 02:31
Okay, now it should be fixed.

Boney10
07-09-2011, 02:53
KK Col it working , ta

Ginarley
07-10-2011, 05:54
Some very cool new planes coming, can't wait :)

Out of curiosity, is there significance to the Hippel Albatros being labelled a D.V rather than a D.Va in the image in the OP?

Oberst Hajj
07-10-2011, 06:05
I'm not sure. I can't recall if there are different cards for the D.V and the D.Va in the game or not.

greenalfonzo
08-01-2011, 19:41
Looking over the upcoming repaints (and retaining my positive outlook!), I couldn't help but start looking at Series 2, 3, and 4 and thinking about what we might see in the prepaints there.

What first struck me, (and I posted this on the polls page) is how many 2 seaters are in those series, and how relatively unpopular they are and how slow they have sold compared to the scouts. How would you guys feel if, for example, in the Series 2 repaints they only release 2 Rolands and give the extra slot to make room for 4 Fokker VIIs? I'm not going to be buying *any* repainted 2 seaters going forward, so getting at least 3 new Fokker repaints (along with the assumed holdover) would be great for me, but would anyone be disappointed in only getting one 2 seater reapaint along with a holdover, instead of 2 new schemes?

bsmith13
08-01-2011, 19:53
Kev, I was wondering the same thing. I only have one of each individual two-seater, and am unlikely to buy more. For that matter, Series 2 is a little bit problematic, as Snipes just didn't have much variety in their paint schemes.

I'm all for repaints, and I'm really excited about Series 1! It might make sense to do a re-release of Series 2 etc with fewer two-seaters...

greenalfonzo
08-01-2011, 20:06
Kev, I was wondering the same thing. I only have one of each individual two-seater, and am unlikely to buy more. For that matter, Series 2 is a little bit problematic, as Snipes just didn't have much variety in their paint schemes.

I'm all for repaints, and I'm really excited about Series 1! It might make sense to do a re-release of Series 2 etc with fewer two-seaters...

I hear you about the Snipes. It's a cool plane, but was so limited in use, and so boring in design that I won't buy any more of those, either. I'm a little worried that Series 2 is so (relatively!) weak in repaint sales potential that might make sense to drop one of the Snipes, and release a series that looks like this;

4 D.VII
2 DH-4
2 Roland
2 Snipe
2 Camels (or even more Dr.Is or Albatroses - if sales are important, and this is, after all, a business, I think this would be the way to go.)

wargamer
08-01-2011, 20:38

Instead for full up reprints of series 2, 3, and 4.

Do a better approach by combining the most desired of those series;

Fokker D.VII from series 2
Nieuport 17/23 from series 3
Albatros D.III from series 3
SE.5A from series 4
Phalz D.III from series 4

And since those 5 would be more than one release of 12 birds, you could add a few newer designs as fillers :)
Or even better 2 or 3 of those and a big bomber :) Gotha mayhaps?

greenalfonzo
08-01-2011, 21:13
Instead for full up reprints of series 2, 3, and 4.

Do a better approach by combining the most desired of those series;

Fokker D.VII from series 2
Nieuport 17/23 from series 3
Albatros D.III from series 3
SE.5A from series 4
Phalz D.III from series 4

And since those 5 would be more than one release of 12 birds, you could add a few newer designs as fillers :)
Or even better 2 or 3 of those and a big bomber :) Gotha mayhaps?

It makes a tremendous amount of sense to break up the original releases into separate series of fighters and 2 seaters for future repaints.

Not just for popularity, but also pricepoint, since the 2-seaters are much pricier. I'm sure reordering series for the manufacturer would be improved as well, since sales would be more even across an individual series.

Oberst Hajj
08-02-2011, 04:46
Let's keep this thread to discussions of the announced Series 1 repaints only please. With the fall out of Nexus, a reorganized series setup is quite possibly in the future however, so this new topic would be a great one to have it's own thread.

gully_raker
08-02-2011, 19:03
:hmm: With the latest news on Nexus's demise I assume there is now no chance of this Series 1 Reissue being released?
Does anyone have any info?:confused:

Oberst Hajj
08-02-2011, 23:47
I've not heard anything definitive on the re-release, but I'll see what I can find out.

Timmo UK
08-28-2011, 09:40
I very much hope we see these produced by the new owners. If we do let's hope they get Rickenbacker corrected for colour and the Red Baron Dr1 as well. I'd like to see the later as depicted as per his last sortie in April 1918 condition.

Of the new schemes Lothar is a really great choice and one I'd buy and extra one for an easy repaint as Weiss. The Jasta 5 machine is also very welcome but dismayed by the Jacobs DVa as this gives us two black and lozenge DVa and there are so may other more colourful options out there they could have choosen from. Sad to see the Rhan DR1 dropped though as I'd have liked to buy a few more of them for repaints.

Kirchstein could be converted to Udet easily with an aftermarket decal of the red 'LO'.

Of course it may all sadly come to nothing unless we are lucky and the range does continue. Who knows perhaps the new owners may be more in tune with the needs of the repainters (like me) out there who really want plain bog standard factory finishes to customise and who buy relatively large numbers of identical models to do so. I'd really like it if one of the three models was in plain finish perhaps even with decals. The so called Rhan Jasta 19 DR1 would have been a perfect example where this 'factory finish plus decal' approach could have worked and increased sales.

greenalfonzo
08-28-2011, 11:58
I definitely agree on the Jacobs repaint. A brighter, more colorful model would be better. The DV's have some of the most interesting schemes out there, and it would be a pity to use another rare slot on something so similar to what we have.

For my part, I hope a new manufacturer is more interested in making money than Nexus was, and does newer repaints more frequently to keep the assortment fresh and make sure we always have something new available for sale. This line is more suited to repaints than anything else out there. There is no difference in actual gameplay between one Albatross and the next, so no new player will actually be hurt or at a disadvantage if one variant paint scheme is not in production. And most players are not going to be buying multiples of the exact same paint scheme, especially when they know new ones will be available soon. And even for you repainters, Some of the more plain schemes are easier to redo, but no one will be stopped from repainting by having new prepainted models out.

Timmo UK
08-28-2011, 13:06
Kev

I'd agree with you there. I was always surprised at how slow production seemed to be. Then again I also expected (wrongly) that the plan was to do each series for say a year of production then never duplicate the colour schemes and move on. As it turned out they must have had Series 1, 2 and 3 on the production lines. I guess new schemes cost money to trial etc but I'd have thought the 'limited edition' notion of each run would have driven sales to some degree. Even though I repaint most of my models to get what I want ie historical units/flights rather than odd individual planes from a wide variety of units I'd rather not have to do the brushwork. A faster turnover of schemes might mean I didn't have to do so much painting.

I guess we'll never know but it would be interesting to do a poll on how many people repaint and if this effects how many planes they buy, I suspect not. But for example, I have bought eight Rhan Dr1s, seven of which have been repainted… so I guess I'm a good customer as far as that particular type goes. If I wasn't interested in having historical flights or didn't want to repaint I'd have bought just two Dr 1's not the ten I eventually ended up with. Same goes for the Schaffer Fokker DVII, the Barker Camel and the Fonck SPAD all of which I've bought in numbers.

Jager
08-28-2011, 13:48
and the Red Baron Dr1 as well. I'd like to see the later as depicted as per his last sortie in April 1918 condition.

How was that plane different?
Karl

flyingryno
08-28-2011, 14:36
ARE you say they are going to be out this sept. 2011 or 2012. Hmmm?

Timmo UK
08-29-2011, 03:21
How was that plane different?
Karl

The original WoW model was based on a bit of a myth as far as I can recall from what I've read. Apparently the famous photo this scheme is based on is more likely to have been a poor image of one of the first two early production Fokkers ( ie F1 102/17) and not an overall red aircraft. The myth of the red paint scheme with national markings on a white field, which as far as I know, has never been evidenced in any other photograph was sadly the one WoW chose to replicate. Still I have one and it looks nice! Aviation historian Alex Imrie apparently seems to think the scheme may well be valid but I've yet to read his evidence for suggesting so. The later model (often called red/green) offered in the duluxe set is more accurate and depicts the planes he obtained most of his Dr1 kills in. These were Dr1 127/17 and another machine, 152/17. It's also been suggested that he flew 477/17 and possibly one other DR1 painted in this same Fokker factory finish with partial red over painting. I've a feeling the red tail extended further on one plane than the others but off-hand I can't recall exactly if this was so and I've certainly read descriptions of this marking that don't appear to match the photographic evidence.

The Baron lost his life in Dr 1 425/17. Apparently this was factory painted red overall including the under surfaces of the wings although these may equally have been blue/turquoise. Surviving fabric samples suggest this may well have been the case but I've seen at least one image which does actually strongly suggest the undersurfaces were in fact red. Firstly 425/17 was marked with white edged iron crosses but not on a white square field. The rudder was red. These iron crosses were changed to straight crosses (early April 1918 following official order in late March) and the rudder painted white. This late scheme would partner the WoW Brown Camel nicely and provide a second correct Red Baron option.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-29-2011, 04:16
Right Tim. From the pictures that I have seen of the Barons machine before his demise, those crosses have always given me trouble. they were way out of date, and yet you see other examples of the same on other planes, and start wondering if the captions have the dates right. Then you see a later production plane with the earlier crosses and have to start the whole thinking process again. On the whole, however, I agree with your stance on this one.
Rob.

greenalfonzo
09-08-2011, 17:36
Now that Ares is announced as the new owner, I'd like to advocate that they make some slight changes if/when they move forward with the repaint series 1.

First, as mentioned, do a different repaint instead of the Jacobs DV. A black fuselage and lozenge DV is not the best choice since it is so similar to the previous Udet DV. They are many more colorful and different paint schemes out there! Ares Games should find a scheme which better differentiates itself on the table better.

Second, the captured German Camel. It's a neat oddball, but again, I think we could use another allied Camel at this point, such as one of those with the brightly striped or checked nose section, such as that flown by Coombes.

rote Flügel
09-08-2011, 21:18
it was because i didn't like the Series 1 Baron that I traded it away.. I knew I was either going to repaint and decal it.. or just repaint it as anouthe from the Circus since I would only have to repaint parts of it and not the whole.. lol.. is is in a place where it is much appreciated now..

flyingryno
09-08-2011, 23:29
Can't wait, I kneed planes. When, Hmmm.

Timmo UK
09-09-2011, 12:33
Now that Ares is announced as the new owner, I'd like to advocate that they make some slight changes if/when they move forward with the repaint series 1.

First, as mentioned, do a different repaint instead of the Jacobs DV. A black fuselage and lozenge DV is not the best choice since it is so similar to the previous Udet DV. They are many more colorful and different paint schemes out there! Ares Games should find a scheme which better differentiates itself on the table better.

Second, the captured German Camel. It's a neat oddball, but again, I think we could use another allied Camel at this point, such as one of those with the brightly striped or checked nose section, such as that flown by Coombes.

I can only echo this sentiment although perhaps it might be nice to see a bog standard Camel since we're on track for six Camel options and none of them are exactly typical of the era. MacClaren of 46 sqd RFC was the top scoring Camel ace so that would make for a good subject. That written I do like the stripes of naval 10.

Dorb
09-11-2011, 08:24
Same "Crack" just different dealer. Thanks for the pics. - Must have, touch and collect(dust)...lol.

flyingryno
09-11-2011, 09:08
When? When? When? AAARRGGH!

Azrael
09-13-2011, 13:57
Hope this is so as I have come late to the party and need at least 12 planes to round out my collection :(

Dan-Sam
09-20-2011, 06:58
Great, especially Albatros looks awesome :) I have only one question: Does anyone know something about material of the miniatures? ¨Miniatures from the first serie were from metal, but the newest models are from plastic...

Jäger
09-20-2011, 07:43
Jjjep, the Albatros is the plane I'm wainting for the most. :clap: But I really hope they all are D.Vas, not D.Vs, because all previous Albatrosses had come with auxiliary bracing struts... :hmm:

Oberst Hajj
09-20-2011, 08:05
Great, especially Albatros looks awesome :) I have only one question: Does anyone know something about material of the miniatures? ¨Miniatures from the first serie were from metal, but the newest models are from plastic...

Most of the minis had a mix of metal and plastic. I believe the SPAD XIII and Camel were all plastic. The Roland and the Albatros D.Va all had metal fuselage. I'd have to check on the others.

Volant Gun
09-28-2011, 12:59
Thanks for the great news Keith!

I say,"Bring'm on Baby!"

My hobbie piggy bank is filling up waiting to be spent. :)

Frank.

calfaber
09-28-2011, 15:20
Are these still happening? Thanks Cal PS. Any idea when if so?

Oberst Hajj
09-28-2011, 18:16
The reprint of what was know as Series 1 is expected in Spring of 2012... so around March I would think. I'm not sure if they are going to keep the same paint scheme variants as Nexus or not.

David Manley
09-28-2011, 21:12
<looks hopefully to the heavens> "Please not Kissenberth, please NOT Kissenberth!" :hmm::eek::serious:

greenalfonzo
09-29-2011, 17:51
<looks hopefully to the heavens> "Please not Kissenberth, please NOT Kissenberth!" :hmm::eek::serious:

Yeah, no kidding. I will be very depressed if we only get one new allied Camel in the reprint series. Dump Kissenberth for an allied plane, and even better, dump Elwood and his hearts for a Naval 10 or a different ace as well! I could accept a German Camel if I was getting at least two new allied Camels.

somaliavet
09-29-2011, 18:19

I totally agree. This Camel slot is better filled by an Entente paint scheme.

To me the Kissenberth Camel would be a good scheme for an extremely limited run promo model.

calfaber
09-29-2011, 18:19
I will be eBaying a German Camel and a couple other specials soon.

Hunter
09-29-2011, 19:37
Yeah, no kidding. I will be very depressed if we only get one new allied Camel in the reprint series. Dump Kissenberth for an allied plane, and even better, dump Elwood and his hearts for a Naval 10 or a different ace as well! I could accept a German Camel if I was getting at least two new allied Camels.

I'm with you, Kev!

Hunter
09-29-2011, 19:41
I will be eBaying a German Camel and a couple other specials soon.

Hmm, that will be interesting! Anticipating the unveiling of the other specials you have, Cal.

greenalfonzo
09-29-2011, 21:05
I'd also like to take this opportunity to complain about one choice for the Albatros DV replacement being that of Jacobs:

http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DVa-Jasta7-Ltn_Josef_Jacobs-300px.png

This seems unnecessarily similar to one of the DV's in the original Series 1, that of Udet:

http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DVa-Jasta37-Udet-300px.png

Notice that both planes are all over black, with identical wing Lonzenge camoflage. I think that Ares would be better served by choosing a paint scheme that is more distinctive and unique from those that have gone before, especially in a plane like the Albatros, which boasted some of the most brightly painted schemes of the war. A more distinctive scheme would also prove useful on the crowded battlefields of our tabletops!

http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DVa-Boning-300px.png http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DV-Bruno_Loerzer-300px.png http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DV-2-300px.png http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DV-Bohning-300px.png http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DVa-Jasta13-Lt-d-r-Werner_Niefhammer-300px.png http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DVa-Jasta18-3-300px.png

Somewhat ironically, if Ares insists on going with another all black DV, I would prefer the famous Kissenberth scheme over Jacobs! (perhaps this makes up for dropping his Camel scheme?)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUfgDgsGqllQt3WfcQyg_wm6mU07Qj6frxgDcqm7g3aifeoq1wUi3J74dK

flyingryno
09-29-2011, 22:10
i'd like to all twelve. Some fine looking planes.

calfaber
09-29-2011, 23:46
I am doing many of these customs right now and will eBay them. Just waiting for the decals which should be tomorrow. Just want to see what they will look like... Spring is not coming soon enough!

calfaber
09-29-2011, 23:50
Looking at these albatroses, I have decs coming for the Blue striped although it has a playing card on the side. Also the Jasta 18 red one.. I am going to do the one with the flower I think. Love that. Anyone have a profile so I can do the decal?

greenalfonzo
09-30-2011, 19:12
http://static2.hlj.com/images/wng/wng32009_1.jpg http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqVIL2QA4r6_FB6kHarUYOdXdGV5rMNX5iL-OrEjhbS4gniHf466NzeoZl2A

Willi Von Klugermann
09-30-2011, 19:41
I am doing many of these customs right now and will eBay them. Just waiting for the decals which should be tomorrow. Just want to see what they will look like... Spring is not coming soon enough!

Were you the seller for the recent Ebay auction with the Flyboy DrIs ? They were really nice.

calfaber
09-30-2011, 20:17
Yes, I did those. Keep them coming anything you guys would like to see and maybe I can make it a reality.

greenalfonzo
09-30-2011, 20:40
Yes, I did those. Keep them coming anything you guys would like to see and maybe I can make it a reality.

link to your decals, or pics of your work?

Oberst Hajj
09-30-2011, 22:30
Please start a new thread in the Hobby area for discussions on repaints and decals please.

calfaber
09-30-2011, 22:57
Will do

Goering Ace
11-12-2011, 07:21
Love the new paint schemes. Can't wait for them to come out.

bigkev
11-22-2011, 09:05
Why cant we have a Voss Dr1, not only a great ace but a complete dope DR1 for repainting/remarking! i`d have a brace of those!;)

Baldrick62
11-22-2011, 09:57
Why cant we have a Voss Dr1, not only a great ace but a complete dope DR1 for repainting/remarking! i`d have a brace of those!;)

Possibly because Voss never flew the Dr.I, but a pre-production F.I, which is a (albeit slightly) different aircraft (eg, no wingtip skids). Not that it's stopped the manufacturer calling what appears to be a Gotha G.IV a G.V!

petho22
01-02-2012, 01:56
What the latest on reprinting series one. i am really keen to get my hands on a Red Dr1.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-02-2012, 02:07
No news as yet as far as I know Chad. Just keep your eye on the forum.
Welcome to the site bye the way.
Don't forget to make your number with the chaps on the Report for Duty forum.
Chin chin.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
01-02-2012, 02:08
The only date we got was Spring of 2012. We do know that they are currently 2 months behind on their stated release dates for the WWII singles, the WWII Starter Set and the WWI bombers. It is probably safe to speculate that the reprints are also 2 months later out... so I would guess May or June.

Timmo UK
01-02-2012, 02:08
Possibly because Voss never flew the Dr.I, but a pre-production F.I, which is a (albeit slightly) different aircraft (eg, no wingtip skids). Not that it's stopped the manufacturer calling what appears to be a Gotha G.IV a G.V!

The F1 also had a distinctive more rounded shape to the tail plane. I think the aileron shape is likely to be slightly different as well. However, if you were bothered by such things I don't think it would be too difficult to modify the model. Whether or not ti's worth it on a 1/144 model is up to you…

Baldrick62
01-02-2012, 03:13
I think the aileron shape is likely to be slightly different as well.
Timmo,
You're quite right: the F.I and early Dr.I aileron differed slightly from the later production versions which were modified to correct an aileron reaction problem. The most visible effect of this is that the outboard 'overhang' of the later aileron is shorter which reduces the aerodynamic balance.
BofB

Boney10
01-02-2012, 09:12
So now its May /June for the WW1 sets, seems Aries learnt nothing from Nexus

LingSter
01-11-2012, 12:46
So now its May /June for the WW1 sets, seems Aries learnt nothing from Nexus

Patience.... A fledgling company needs time to get things in order. I think it's grand that we're getting new stuff. AND that series one is coming back with a few repaints! Relax and save some extra cash so that you can snapp up everything when it comes out! I know I will!

Oberst Hajj
01-11-2012, 15:09
Anyone for a case 'O Fokkers?? lol

sparty
01-19-2012, 08:47
I'm pretty stoked by the Luthar paint scheme. It's now possible to set up a scenario similar to Richthofen's last flight. All the rules are in place. The three critical pilots are in place....and we have AAMG rules as well. Could be a fun one just for historical sake of doing it. A what if...of had MvR not noticed his cousin's peril and become so target focused... Perhaps another showdown was inevitable between Brown & the Baron?

Pseudotheist
02-29-2012, 16:45
looking at the recent pictures:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1244989_lg.jpg
it doesn't look like they updated the molds for the SPAD XIII.

Disappointing, but maybe they're old prototypes...

CappyTom
02-29-2012, 18:33
looking at the recent pictures:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1244989_lg.jpg
it doesn't look like they updated the molds for the SPAD XIII.

Disappointing, but maybe they're old prototypes...

But look at those Bombers. Hubba hubba

Oberst Hajj
02-29-2012, 18:33
I'm pretty sure they are the old prototypes Todd. The re-molding is the reason they were not read in Jan as the sign says.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-01-2012, 01:33
I am just going to be glad to get anything at all. It will save me hours of trawling the net and ordering planes that never turn up because the stock checks are not up to date.
Rob.

flash
03-01-2012, 01:49
The boss started this thread on 30th June last year - will Ares beat the thread anniversary ?!
Perhaps we should have a release date sweepstake !!

Keep yer pecker chaps - the time will fly by.

CappyTom
03-01-2012, 02:40
The boss started this thread on 30th June last year - will Ares beat the thread anniversary ?!
Perhaps we should have a release date sweepstake !!

Keep yer pecker chaps - the time will fly by.

:takecover::lol:That is so funny. Now that would have been a great contest, pick the date new product would arrive at the stores...

Thomas

Baron Rolf
03-01-2012, 02:51
Cool kites cannot wait to start adding to my collection perhaps a Gotha or two , anyway good things come to those who wait and we've all be patiently waiting for a while now.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-01-2012, 03:12
:takecover::lol:That is so funny. Now that would have been a great contest, pick the date new product would arrive at the stores...

Thomas

Go on then Tom start a pole for the bombers date, and one for the Re-releases of WW1.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2012, 05:39
Or, we could do a "football square"...

Squares would cost US$1 each. All the funds would be held until the release date (actual date determined by our sponsor 12-7 Games). Whoever picks the correct date wins an entire set of the Series 1 reprints.

What do you guys think about that?

Flying Officer Kyte
03-01-2012, 06:23
Could be a good laugh Herr Oberst an well in the spirit of the period. However, there should be a limit on how many squares you can have, otherwise the Aussies will get the lot!( no racial stereotyping intended Barry):lol::lol::takecover:
Rob.

Boney10
03-01-2012, 06:49
I would certainly be up for that comp.
Agree there does need to be a limit and are we talking actual official release date or when they are shipped to distributors etc ?

not too well andd didnt read your answer properly Herr Oberst, you do of course state Date to be determined by sponser,,,, back to the sick bed for me :(

Oberst Hajj
03-01-2012, 09:25
And what would you want to limit the number too?

Flying Officer Kyte
03-01-2012, 10:55
And what would you want to limit the number too?

Judging by the number of people who usually take a punt at this sort of thing devided by the number of squares I'd limit it to 25 each max. That would cater for 7 big punters and a dozen or so smaller players who take a few, but only you know how many big players there normally are. You may want to adjust that total in light of your superior knowledge.
Rob.

BobP
03-01-2012, 14:07
How much for a square?

Flying Officer Kyte
03-01-2012, 15:08
How much for a square?

The Oberst said $1 per square.
Rob.

Rat of Vengence
03-01-2012, 15:47
10 each would work for me, but I don't mind. Good idea though :)

Dave

billingspike
03-01-2012, 16:13
Or, we could do a "football square"...

Squares would cost US$1 each. All the funds would be held until the release date (actual date determined by our sponsor 12-7 Games). Whoever picks the correct date wins an entire set of the Series 1 reprints.

What do you guys think about that?I ,am down with that .

gully_raker
03-01-2012, 16:50
Could be a good laugh Herr Oberst an well in the spirit of the period. However, there should be a limit on how many squares you can have, otherwise the Aussies will get the lot!( no racial stereotyping intended Barry):lol::lol::takecover:
Rob.

:D I could never take offence at any comments you make Rob!
Anyway I will owe Zoe far too much for my Shapeways stuff to lash out on 'squares":thumbsup:

I also have my Grand Daughters wedding at the end of March & that means Air Fares to Qld, suit hire, presents etc etc etc.:eek::p

pflanzer
03-01-2012, 20:07
Hate to throw any damper on this but is it legal to gamble. An informal office pool is one thing but international gambling? Might want to check it out before you "sell" any squares.
Tony
Maybe a all knowing crystal ball gazing medal.

rote Flügel
03-01-2012, 21:14
Hey.. if it's legal I'll take 5 or so... I could use some repaint fodder.. lol

Marechallannes
03-01-2012, 22:13
How can we recruit new pilots, if you buy out the complete frist charge of series V models?:erk:

Maybe I should ask Ares Games for a general partnership and establish a miniature pipeline from China to Australia.:D

flash
03-02-2012, 00:57
Looks like the idea caught on (I never thought anyone would go for it) so I'm in !!
Two questions Herr Oberst:
IF there is any money left over will it go to Guntrucks fund and/or funding of the site ?
And... will it roll over to 2013 ? :lol: The cynic in me couldn't resist !

Flying Officer Kyte
03-02-2012, 04:18
Looks like the idea caught on (I never thought anyone would go for it) so I'm in !!
Two questions Herr Oberst:
IF there is any money left over will it go to Guntrucks fund and/or funding of the site ?
And... will it roll over to 2013 ? :lol: The cynic in me couldn't resist !

I must admit I was very tempted too Dave, but I have milked that one too often over the years, so left it to someone else to say. I am actually much more optomistic about this one though. They do seem to be using the same callendar, even if it is the Julian one.:lol:

Rob.

Gaz67
03-02-2012, 08:47
I'd maybe suggest that you couldn't buy 2 dates per person per week for the first few weeks.
Nice idea.

Qwibqwib
03-14-2012, 20:01
I want in on the contest! I will buy 5 squares! LOL! :thumbsup:

calfaber
03-14-2012, 20:51
I'm in...

BobP
06-25-2012, 14:35
I hope for repaints but never know when they could be out since each series is being pushed back. But have to keep an open opinion.

calfaber
06-25-2012, 17:22
Great to hear things are moving forward though. Sure glad that the shapeways has filled the void... Anyone got the bombers? How are they. I think I am waiting for everything shipped together from the 7 guys...

Watchdog
07-03-2012, 06:54
Great to hear things are moving forward though. Sure glad that the shapeways has filled the void... Anyone got the bombers? How are they. I think I am waiting for everything shipped together from the 7 guys...

I have both bomber types, however, so far I managed to only test the Gotha. The Gotha is the best fighter plane in the game. Manouverable for its size and speed given that you have very wide fire arcs, sturdy and deadly with two MG's.

Check this: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?8872-Prague-Flight-of-the-Giants :)

Grey Knight
07-04-2012, 03:08
Good news,will have to get MVR's,Lothar's and Udet's DVa for sure

csadn
07-04-2012, 15:18
I have both bomber types, however, so far I managed to only test the Gotha. The Gotha is the best fighter plane in the game. Manouverable for its size and speed given that you have very wide fire arcs, sturdy and deadly with two MG's.

Provided of course one's opponent doesn't manage to kill both gunners.... (That's how the fight between The SO with a SPAD VII and Nieuport 17 and me with a Gotha ended: I about-wrecked the SPAD, and nailed the -17 a couple times; but withdrew with both gunners dead. We called it a draw.)

Diamondback
07-04-2012, 15:48
Or pop the pilot on the Gotha... instakill, which is why I preferred the Caproni in our "Bomber Duel" at Enfilade.

Hunter
07-04-2012, 20:37

Check this: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?8872-Prague-Flight-of-the-Giants :)

Yup, they're tough birds! Trust me I know!

Boney10
07-05-2012, 00:22

I got a Gotha, rally nice model, good colour scheme, but how on earth did it get past the design phase with the engine and cabine struts missing?
This make the model very weak in the centre,for me, to pay £25 then have to add basic construction bits has stopped me going further down this particular route.
But as I said the Gotha schemes are very nice, can't comment on the Caproni.

Boney10
07-05-2012, 00:30
Looking forward to the re-release of the series 1. I have already repainted a couple of them but this will allow me todo a couple of others.
I am really wanting the "striped" Dr1 got a couple of repaints in mind there and the Jasta 5 bird to add to my Jasta, the others not too sure about, as I said already repainted the Lothar tripe, the red Spad and both camels that are proposed.
But let's hope they're not too long in releasing them , lol who am I kidding, maybe by Xmas

diceslinger
07-18-2012, 08:27
Or pop the pilot on the Gotha... instakill, which is why I preferred the Caproni in our "Bomber Duel" at Enfilade.

I'm not sure that is as easy as it sounds.
If you play the basic rules is says "Unless the Expanded Crew Damage optional rules are used, crewmen who do not fire machine guns (i.e., crewmen that don’t correspond to a firing arc) cannot be wounded – wounded crewman tokens with their numbers are not used." (Page 6 FOG rulebook.) So you can't kill the pilot.

In the expanded rules on page 10 it says "Pilots are wounded with no effect to their maneuvering abilities the first time that they are hit and are incapacitated the second time that they are hit." So I believe you would have to wound the pilot twice to bring down the plane.

I know this isn't the rules discussion area, but since I had the rulebook handy I thought I would chime in.

jbmacek
09-04-2012, 06:35
Grabbed this snippet from an email posted today by Andrea, "Fonk's SPAD XIII was in Wings of War, Madon's SPAD XIII will be released in a few weeks."

BobP
09-04-2012, 15:00
Well it is just a repaint of Series 1so may not take as long as the others. I see that the WWII bombers have been pushed back to Oct. Any planes are a welcome for me. Thanks for the info.

Angiolillo
09-04-2012, 22:53
From a Facebook post 6 hours ago by Ares Games, the WW2 bombers have been shipped. The usual lottery of sailing and customs, and then they'll be at the US and European warehouses to start being distributed.

CappyTom
09-05-2012, 02:00
From a Facebook post 6 hours ago by Ares Games, the WW2 bombers have been shipped. The usual lottery of sailing and customs, and then they'll be at the US and European warehouses to start being distributed.

Yeah!!!!
:singin::pint::clap:
Thomas

Flying Officer Kyte
09-05-2012, 02:07
Aleluya!
Rob.

BobP
09-05-2012, 14:09
Andrea that is great news. I wasn't expecting any news like that. Going on vacation Sunday so should have a nice package waiting when I return.

Nightbomber
09-05-2012, 14:41
I do not have to put down what I have just done. No. That desire was stronger then me. I have clicked. Yes, I have done that :erk:.
Now my battles over Britain and in the East will look even more meaty. Heinkels. 12-7, do your job as fast as you can, please.
I'll tell my SWMBO she can afford two new pairs of shoes as well;)

Doug
09-05-2012, 14:53
Got to admit I am looking forward to these, will also be a help in determing stats for other twin engined bombers.

CaudronMahout
09-05-2012, 20:56

PHOOEY!! I'm still not going to buy into the WW2 version until the Curtiss Hawk 75A-4/P-36/Mohawk is available for me to chase the 109s around over the fields of La Belle France (and a suitable fixed landing gear version in Royal Thai Air Force markings to challenge the IJAAF with - at least for a few turns, anyway!;))...

Until then, I'll assuage my misery by continuing to obsess over the imminent release of the new WW1 series, and gobble up the new SPADs and such when they make their appearance here in the States at last...:thumbsup:

Timmo UK
09-06-2012, 13:21
Really hoping the S1 repaints hit the UK in time for Christmas.

David Manley
09-06-2012, 13:43

LOL Tim, you've got two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope :)

wargamer
09-06-2012, 14:52
LOL Tim, you've got two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope :)

But Bob passed away awhile ago.....

Zoe Brain
09-06-2012, 17:29
Reprint Prototypes

Doug
09-06-2012, 18:08
Those look good, thanks Zoe.

AllDeadDave
09-06-2012, 20:33
Indeed they do.

Angiolillo
09-06-2012, 22:16

They are not listed yet in the upcoming Ares Games page:

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

This shops gets pre-orders for them with a November estimated release, but I am not sure it is official - I am not sure that it can be trusted:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3518

Besides, for UK it must be seen how quick Esvedium is with its orders.

Burt
09-07-2012, 00:03
Very tasty, I do like von Hippel's Albatros.
Will have to devise a plan how to smuggle them into the house past the guards when they are released;)

Boney10
09-07-2012, 00:44
Very nice,unfortunately I have already repainted the top four :( but the bottom two hmmmm yes want want :)

Flying Officer Kyte
09-07-2012, 01:06
Very tasty, I do like von Hippel's Albatros.
Will have to devise a plan how to smuggle them into the house past the guards when they are released;)

I agree Don. Very tasty indeed.:minis: However, my problem is how to smuggle a new Figures in Comfort carrying case into the house, and then keep it hidden for all time,:wafangry: and you know how big those are!:eek:
The four I have already got are nearly full.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-07-2012, 01:10
How on earth did you get hold of those Zoe?
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-07-2012, 01:16
Very nice,unfortunately I have already repainted the top four :( but the bottom two hmmmm yes want want :)

I know what you mean Chris.
I will be doing two repaint repaints because of this.
I have also got to repaint one of the early war planes as well.
Rob.

Niclas
09-07-2012, 01:18
My guess is that the Kirschstein mini will sell out quicker than boiled asparagus.

/Niclas

Nightbomber
09-07-2012, 01:21
Rob.

Desperate covert operation in Ares building and she got them:). For the good of community here. We can not wait and she did it for us. Don't you really know Zoe's skills, Rob?
:lol:

Blauer Baron
09-07-2012, 01:52
Reprint Prototypes

What a brilliant idea!! I have always been trying to visualise the models to see if they match into my existing "squadrons" (two or three planes large). This has been an attempt to maximise the visual impact of any game, trying to get a "squadron" feel and also a completely failed attempt to try to cut spending on aesthetic grounds. (yes I had to look up the spelling of that). So, your contribution does not help towards the latter..(all must haves on that evidence), but it saves my brain mass (about 3 grammes) a lot of work. So thanks!! Had to quote, so those pictures appear again!

Zoe Brain
09-07-2012, 03:43
Rob.

That would be telling.

OK, blame a certain brilliant and generous Italian game designer who put them (without publicity) in an obscure corner of the boardgamegeek website, knowing that true aficionados would eventually find them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/121016/wings-of-glory-ww1-airplane-packs

Some others that may be of interest, and may eventuate - or not.

This one's marked "experimental miniature, not to be released"

"The Airplane card you'll never see printed for silly problems of copyrights and money... "

Flying Officer Kyte
09-07-2012, 05:07
Thanks Zoe.
Rob.

Burt
09-10-2012, 08:17
The latest announcement from Ares today
http://www.aresgames.eu/5138

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2012, 11:01
The latest announcement from Ares today
http://www.aresgames.eu/5138

Guess that we should be seeing them about the start of next year here in the U.K. then.
Rob.

Niclas
09-10-2012, 14:06
[QUOTE=Flying Officer Kyte;168741]Guess that we should be seeing them about the start of next year here in the U.K. then.
Rob.[/QUOTE
I guess I can wait - But just barely.

/Niclas

Timmo UK
09-11-2012, 13:39
Having seen some images I've suddenly upped my shopping list.

CaudronMahout
09-11-2012, 15:24
Having seen some images I've suddenly upped my shopping list.

You and many others, mate!:pint:

artman
09-13-2012, 20:06
Anyone know if there's a plan to walk through all the old WOW series stuff doing new paint jobs?

The main reason I'm asking is I'm new to the game and am keen on some Fokker V11's at a reasonable price.

Cheers!

celticgriffon
09-13-2012, 23:17
Very nice work Zoe - thanks for the super spy pics!

Oberst Hajj
09-14-2012, 06:31
Anyone know if there's a plan to walk through all the old WOW series stuff doing new paint jobs?

The main reason I'm asking is I'm new to the game and am keen on some Fokker V11's at a reasonable price.

Cheers!

Yes, but to what extent they will repaint them, I don't know.

Timmo UK
09-14-2012, 07:20
Yes, but to what extent they will repaint them, I don't know.

If the repaints of Series One are a guide, and we've really no idea if they are, then those models that sell well will be reprinted. And on that basis I both hope and suspect we'll see the Shaffer DVII repainted and two new colour schemes. Of course I may be wrong in my estimation as to which sold the best but the impression I always got was that the Schaffer out sold the other two.

I have a feeling we may see a yellow one…

Kaiser
09-14-2012, 08:48
The struts on the D.Va are still backwards :(

Timmo UK
09-14-2012, 09:45
I'm not so keen on the brown engine on the DVa but a few minutes with a brush will soon sort it out. I'd have liked to have seen one Dva released with a natural wood fuselage. However, I hope we see some decals to enable more of the Jasta 5 machines to be modelled.

But all that written I'm really very pleased they are coming back soon.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-14-2012, 09:45

Look on the bright side Daniel. At least it will match all the other wrong ones.:brickwal:
Rob.

Diamondback
09-14-2012, 15:33
Is the "experimental" Camel Kissenberth or another captured one?

Oberst Hajj
09-14-2012, 19:03

I think the photos Zoe posted are just re-painted old Nexus models. I don't think Ares had taken over and started the new molds for these when those pics first hit the public.

Is the "experimental" Camel Kissenberth or another captured one?

The Camels coming out here next are:

Barker
Elwood
Stackard

No captured or experimental ones. There was going to be a Kissenberth Camel, but they listened to the customers and also wanted to keep the balance of Central Powers to Entente even.

Diamondback
09-14-2012, 20:15
I know, I was asking about the prototype marked "Not For Production". :)

HTRAINo
09-15-2012, 15:14
I would really like an official 'Elwood' Camel *drools*
Missed the Series 1, and then they went for crazy money!

Jager
09-23-2012, 03:48
Well, it looks like Alliance Distributers is following the pattern or selling the repiants in 9 plane displays for each type; i.e. 9 SPADS, 9 Camels etc. I'll talk to my LFGS, but i'm sure he doesn't want that much overstock, and I can't justify that many extra planes at this time. Looks like 12-7 again for this one.
Karl

Grey Knight
09-23-2012, 05:35
Looks good to me...

Kadett
09-27-2012, 11:19
Well, I do hope we see them here in Germany in 2012.....

calfaber
09-27-2012, 12:22
It would be nice to see the Albatroses in natural wood finishes like these I did yesterday.. 6125061251612526125361254

deephorse
09-28-2012, 07:56
Are these for eBay Cal? :p

calfaber
09-28-2012, 08:26
I thought aBOUT DOING ANOTHER SET AND PUTTING THESE ON eBay AS THIS WAS MY FIRST REAL TRY AT the wood grain after doing some research. (They turned out good. ) Alb D.I, D.II, D.III and a D.Va. Tried the factory finish. Took me about 3 hours each.

BobP
09-28-2012, 13:12
How about you folks start a cottage business and do repaint for ARES? Your paint jobs are so great it would be worth getting them.

calfaber
09-28-2012, 14:44
I think when I look at the time versus what it costs per hour... lol I mainly do it for pleasure and to cover costs.

Timmo UK
09-29-2012, 00:54
I think when I look at the time versus what it costs per hour... lol I mainly do it for pleasure and to cover costs.

I still think you should start doing a line of decals. You've covered so many subjects and presumably you still have the original artwork. I know I'd buy them.

john snelling
09-29-2012, 07:43
Zoe, thanks for the pics. More planes to look forward too.

va beach ace
09-29-2012, 08:07
awesome!!! more money to spend!!!

Kharas1
09-29-2012, 14:53
As someone who doesn't do repaints (due to lack of time and the necessary skills) I will be adding these to my must have list. Not that long ago the overiding feeling was one of disappointment that WOW had potentially come to an end, followed by the joy upon discovering Ares were then to take the range forward as WOG and back to disappointment as the time frame to deliver their first models slipped further and further. We're now over this and all in all it's been a pretty good year with releases across both the WW1 and WW2 ranges. However it appears to me that what we have seen so far by way of miniatures had already been announced and were at various stages of completion when Ares took over. The real test for me will be whether they can maintain the delivery of new miniatures into 2013 and beyond.

Kadett
09-30-2012, 00:04
@Kharas2: it makes perfectly sense to pick up the old nexus stuff before bringing forward new models. First of all the community was waiting for them and from the companys side of view there was a lot of work already done.
I am confident we will see new and old planes hit the shelves.

Oberst Hajj
09-30-2012, 03:13
The first all Ares minis that we will see (that I'm aware of) is the late war fighters for WGS do some time around the first of the year.

Doug
09-30-2012, 03:23
Cal would the natural wood of the Albatros be suitable for an Albatros CIII?

Niclas
09-30-2012, 08:16
I like those planes, Cal!

/Niclas