Poliorketes
11-14-2009, 14:02
Yes.

bierhaus
11-14-2009, 14:05
are they nice?

Poliorketes
11-14-2009, 15:23
They are a bit fiddly to build as there are a lot of struts. Some struts I had to replace with wire, but htat's no problem. You have to drill some of the holes for the struts yourself and it's worth filling the holes with green stuff where the struts don't fill them out. But the result is worth it.

If you're searching for pics on the web, search for Skytrex as this is the manufacturer and red eagle only the product line.

bierhaus
11-14-2009, 17:14
I managed to get Series 1 Wow for 104.00 including shipping,I am going to do some repaintsI ordered deacals for Jasta 15 I love the Fokkers.I want to get a couple of bombers too.this is cool stuff. you guys are a wealth of info. Thanks

Doug
11-15-2009, 01:49
I too use the Skytrex Red Egale aircraft, mainly the earlier types, althought I do prefer the WoW minatures as they come assbled and painted as I am not very good in making bi-planes in metal (nor was I very good in making them in plastic either) and find them to be very fiddley as Poliokets stated

Poliorketes
11-15-2009, 06:12
Here are some pics of my Skytrex SS D.IV
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1189
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1187

bsmith13
11-15-2009, 07:33
That SS D.IV looks great! How long did it take you to assemble and paint?

krolik
11-15-2009, 10:33
I have quite a few, the previous posts about assembly are correct, but with a bit of practice they're not too hard to assemble. I'd say they are intermediate in skill level for assembly. Start with an Eindekker. :D

IRM
11-15-2009, 10:51
I picked up a bunch of hese recently (4 SE5as, 2 Hannovers plus two each of Albatros D3, Fokker Triplane and Nieuport 17 to match the WAW minis I already have since I have enough spare card decks to use 4 at once) and found them fairly straightforward to build once I'd done a couple. The struts can be a bit fiddly, but I found that using gel superglue is a great help there. The completed planes are surprisingly sturdy even without replacing the struts. Worth noting that all the Skytrex planes come with decals and crew and you can buy squadron packs which let you buy 4 planes for the price of 3. The only real issue I had with them is that the Albatros D3's body is too skinny, just like a less streamlined D5a. All the others that I have already got WAW versions off are almost identical. I'll post some pics once I've finished them.

I've also ordered some Reviresco aircraft (Breguet 14s, Hanriots and an AEG). It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Poliorketes
11-15-2009, 13:54
I've also ordered some Reviresco aircraft (Breguet 14s, Hanriots and an AEG). It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

<this would be interesting, I'm looking forward to it.

How long did it take you to assemble and paint?
Can't tell, painting was not so hard as tehere is no shading and just two colours. The decals are includes except for the skull which I took from a Space Marine transfer sheet.

Doug
11-16-2009, 00:50
Those are very nice models.

The Blue Baron
11-16-2009, 03:34
Space Marine decals? Good idea!

VonDermon
11-17-2009, 06:35
Looks great polioketes!!!

aarondpjames
11-17-2009, 07:43
I've done a few of the Red Eagle minis from Skytrex (http://www.skytrex.com/) and I've found them to be really good, solid minis when finished. I defanatlay agree with Poliorketes when he said they can be a bit fiddly and they need the wing struts/landing gear struts replaced with wire. Because of this, they can be a bit time consumming during the building/prep process, but at the end you are left with a solid metal mini that can take a drop of too!! They also cover a lot of the bombers too, I've just finished and AVG and Gotha for my Germans. A lot of struts to replace, but they are absoloute monsters in the air.

For decals, I use Dom at Dom's decals (https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ab9d3cc70779/shopdata/index.shopscript) Great products and he even does them in flying squadrons. So if you can get 8 Fokker DVII's together, he can sell you decal sheet for Jasta 15 with a Painting guide to go with it. Fantastic quality, I've only done 4 of Jasta 15 so far, but its great fun flying a matching Jasta against you mates. I'll stick some pictures up on my profile later.

aarondpjames
11-17-2009, 16:38
As promised, some of the Red Eagle minis I've make into WOW minis. The only thing i really had to do with the Eindeckers is glue the tail fin on and remake the wheel struts out of wire to make them stronger than the original soft metal ones. Obvioulsy, i inserted a rod into the fusalarge to sit in on the WOW flight pegs, just like the WOW minis.

I'll post pictures of the AVG and Gotha in the next week or so, so you can se how much wire wing struts are involved.

The Blue Baron
11-18-2009, 01:12
Good work on the Eindeckers!

IRM
11-18-2009, 04:34
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww12/IRMcG/Picture001.jpghttp://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww12/IRMcG/Picture004.jpg

Some of the Red Eagle models: 2 Fokker Triplanes and 2 Hannover CLIIIs on the left and an SE5a, an Albatros DIII and a Nieuport 17 on the right. I'm going to have to redo the 4 SE5a I have since I messed up matt spraying them and blistered the top wing:mad: Gives me an excuse to order up some decals I suppose.;) Note that the Nieuport that they make is the original French type with a synchronised Vickers gun.

Poliorketes
11-18-2009, 11:26
Very good! Thanks for sharing!

IRM
12-08-2009, 08:32
My Reverisco kits finally turned up (Customs were sitting on them for weeks:mad:). They're more detailed than the Red Eagle models but more complicated to build. You need to buy brass rod for the wing struts for most of the ones I ordered. Decals don't come with most models, but can be ordered seperately. Not just markings, but whole wing and fuselage decals.

They also do a bag of 30 crew figures. I'm going to use them for all my early series models which didn't have pilots, but I'll need to remove the lower parts of them so they fit (they're molded with legs as the Reverisco plane bodies come in 2 parts).

I'll post up pics once they're done, with comparison shots with Red Eagle and Wings Of War prepaints.

The Blue Baron
12-08-2009, 08:35
My Reverisco kits finally turned up (Customs were sitting on them for weeks:mad:). They're more detailed than the Red Eagle models but more complicated to build. You need to buy brass rod for the wing struts for most of the ones I ordered. Decals don't come with most models, but can be ordered seperately. Not just markings, but whole wing and fuselage decals.

They also do a bag of 30 crew figures. I'm going to use them for all my early series models which didn't have pilots, but I'll need to remove the lower parts of them so they fit (they're molded with legs as the Reverisco plane bodies come in 2 parts).

I'll post up pics once they're done, with comparison shots with Red Eagle and Wings Of War prepaints.

The brass rods you are going to buy are also great for pinning the parts together.