PDA

View Full Version : Teammate communication

Lugburz
06-26-2011, 05:14
While I do not fly nearly as many sorties as I would like to, my wife is usually the one trailing my six, peppering my rear with a hail of hot lead. However, on the off chance we have friends over to play with us, I like to encourage communication between team members. Right now some of you are reading this, frothing at the mouth, and cursing "But you can't! That isn't fair! You monster!".

Fear not my fellow pilots! Instead of letting teammates whisper their plans to one another in hushed tones, plotting the demise of my planes, I merely require that they communicate using hand signals only ;)

Now I know that participating in a large dogfight means that it's usually "every man for himself", yet I like the idea of letting players alert one another but ONLY through brief non-verbal means. In fact, most people I've played with seem to enjoy this as it adds a bit of comedy to the game while players try their best to perform a sort of bizarre "Charades" with their wingman. This house rule seems to be in keeping with the spirit of the era, when pilots signaled to one another to compensate for distance and the roar of their engines.

I was curious as to whether or not any of you on the forums allow for communication (non-verbal or otherwise) during your games.

Cheers!
Lugz

Ginarley
06-26-2011, 05:22
We haven't played many team games here but we decided that teams could pop into different rooms to discuss strategy but after that only rules or social talk was allowed - no strategising. We're pretty relaxed when we play so it worked well :) I like the hand signals idea although I'd worry it'd get a bit distracting!

Lugburz
06-26-2011, 05:29
I like the hand signals idea although I'd worry it'd get a bit distracting!

Usually, people forget to even signal after a couple of turns, and even then it's not every phase. Most players slip into the "every man for themselves" mindset. I think signals used to strategize during a large scenario game could be fun since players would be able to create new tactics on the fly. I guess if you wanted to get technical about it, there could be provisional rule about pilots only signaling to each other if they are within 1 - 1.5 ruler's length from one another.

Lugz

Flying Officer Kyte
06-26-2011, 08:19
Usually, people forget to even signal after a couple of turns, and even then it's not every phase. Most players slip into the "every man for themselves" mindset. I think signals used to strategize during a large scenario game could be fun since players would be able to create new tactics on the fly. I guess if you wanted to get technical about it, there could be provisional rule about pilots only signaling to each other if they are within 1 - 1.5 ruler's length from one another.

Lugz
I'm a bit worried about the scorch marks on the table and walls made by the Very flare signals Keegan. I get into enough trouble if I just knock my bottle of tonic over.
Rob.

gully_raker
06-26-2011, 18:24
I'm a bit worried about the scorch marks on the table and walls made by the Very flare signals Keegan. I get into enough trouble if I just knock my bottle of tonic over.
Rob.

Humm! Kytey!;) I notice you never said you knock the Gin Bottle over :eek: only the Tonic. :thumbsup:

grumpybear
06-26-2011, 20:41
We do a team conference before game . During game colured cards with different meanings to communinate with each other, no vocial, except to razzzzzzzz

Lugburz
06-26-2011, 20:54
We do a team conference before game . During game colured cards with different meanings to communinate with each other, no vocial, except to razzzzzzzz

Neat! I like the idea of colored cards.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-27-2011, 01:10

Great Darell. That was just the sort of response I was after with my spurious remark about Very pistols. There must be a whole host of good ideas floating around amongst the membership, that never gets posted. Thanks for that imput.
Rob.

Hunter
06-27-2011, 19:08

We do a team conference before the game, ala mission briefing. No colored cards, though I'm intrigued by the thought of using them!

Pooh
06-30-2011, 17:31
We allow players to talk freely both between team members and with the enemy. It doesn't seem to help our tactics much though.

Pooh

arcuspilot
01-04-2012, 19:22
Man I love this game - so do my kids and my mates. We use hand signals between wingmen but only if the plane cards are within one human handwidth of eachother. Then the other players have to look away while the hand signal charade is performed. It does indeed add comedy and that's what makes this game brilliant - it's easy to enhance and everybody has a great time.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-05-2012, 01:56
Man I love this game - so do my kids and my mates. We use hand signals between wingmen but only if the plane cards are within one human handwidth of eachother. Then the other players have to look away while the hand signal charade is performed. It does indeed add comedy and that's what makes this game brilliant - it's easy to enhance and everybody has a great time.

Since the Thread on Flares, we allow Red, Green, White flares to be used for pre agreed signals.
Rob.

jbmacek
01-05-2012, 04:30
Since the Thread on Flares, we allow Red, Green, White flares to be used for pre agreed signals.
Rob.

Rob, can you supply a link to the aforementioned thread? Thanks!

We don't allow communication during, but if I'm within a ruler of someone I'll give them the "appropriate" hand signals. ;)

Blauer Baron
01-05-2012, 04:42
What a great idea using hand signals only to comminicate between players! A nice touch of WW1 realism. For solo games I suggest the use of a large mirror to wave into, in order to warn oneself of the stupid move you have just made, which the automatic move rules are about to take vicious advantage of (again.):smack:

Nightbomber
01-05-2012, 04:50
I always warn my fellows before a game starts that only "hand" communication is allowed. They observe such rule.

Flying Officer Kyte
01-05-2012, 08:51
Rob, can you supply a link to the aforementioned thread? Thanks!

There you go John.

For some reason these don't seem to work when checked, but you can get to them via post 14 on this thread.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?6482-Missions-with-odd-number-of-players&highlight=signal+flares

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ghlight=lights
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hlight=signals (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hlight=signals)

Rob.

Willi Von Klugermann
01-05-2012, 10:36
We don't allow communication during, but if I'm within a ruler of someone I'll give them the "appropriate" hand signals. ;)

John, are you referring to the "bird" ? I like it alot.

Traysa
01-10-2012, 13:42
The hand signals are a good idea. I'll give it a shot at the next game. My group isn't very good with team communication, so this will get them to plan a strategy before take-off and to help each other out in the air with hands signals only. (We tend to get into the "every man for themselves" mindset)