PDA

View Full Version : Assembling the Skytrex Balloons?

gully_raker
06-10-2011, 18:27
:) G'day Chaps!
What type of glue would you use on the Skytrex Balloons which are supplied in two halves?
They describe them as a type of dense Foam so would plastic cement tend to desolve them?

Interested as I feel I would like to get one of the Parsival ones.

David Manley
06-10-2011, 22:39
I used a tube of Uhu (or was it Bostik?). It worked fine.

Boney10
06-11-2011, 02:01
I tried to use platic glue, GW, but found it didnt stick too well. Didnt melt foam though as it seems to have a thin coat of the foam, no idea what . In the end I used super glue and PVA with too thick elastic bands to keep the two halves together. I also have a Parsival one but not made up yet.
The Parsival type is a one piece model the only gluing is for some metal side bars and the basket.

Hunter
06-11-2011, 03:31
That Parsival balloon sounds intrigueing.

gully_raker
06-12-2011, 00:14
I tried to use platic glue, GW, but found it didnt stick too well. Didnt melt foam though as it seems to have a thin coat of the foam, no idea what . In the end I used super glue and PVA with too thick elastic bands to keep the two halves together. I also have a Parsival one but not made up yet.
The Parsival type is a one piece model the only gluing is for some metal side bars and the basket.

Ahhh, Thanks Boney! :thumbsup: Supa Glue for the Parsival bits then should do the trick.

Boney10
06-12-2011, 05:17
Here you go a comparison

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14442&d=1307880972

L - R Skytrex Parsival, Skytrex Observation, Official WoW

gully_raker
06-13-2011, 19:06
Thanks Mate!

KaiserRushforth
06-21-2011, 09:48
They were not too bad to glue the halves together, the rigging was more interesting, I used copper wire soldered to create thin and sturdy rigging, it clips into holes in the balloon too so that it can be sprayed separately and give a realistic finish, and needs no glue to keep it in place.
2 pics attached to show both the Skytrex ones,

Boney10
06-21-2011, 09:52
Nicely done Daryl.
As an aside will you be going to the Devises show this year ?

KaiserRushforth
06-21-2011, 09:57
Glad you like them, they were enjoyable to make, as were the Skytrex Handley Page and Gotha.
KR will be at Devises, I won't be there in person, but Ian from Lesleys Bits Box carries the KR range at all the UK shows I don't personally attend. He can take preorders for shows if you want to be certain of something particular. My next show is Gencon in Indianapolis !

Boney10
06-21-2011, 10:40
No thats fine it was KR kit im after

Flying Officer Kyte
06-21-2011, 12:31
I do like the wire idea for the rigging Daryl. I used twine for mine but even with the weight of the basket it will not stay quite tight. I was thinking of running some P.V.A. down the twine, but may just change the whole rigging if I ever get the time. Nice one sir, nice one.:salute:
Rob.

gully_raker
06-21-2011, 18:08
They were not too bad to glue the halves together, the rigging was more interesting, I used copper wire soldered to create thin and sturdy rigging, it clips into holes in the balloon too so that it can be sprayed separately and give a realistic finish, and needs no glue to keep it in place.
2 pics attached to show both the Skytrex ones,

Thanks Daryl!:thumbsup:
Great work, mate & thanks for the Copper Wire Tip. I would not have thought of that.
Perhaps a bit of lead sinker in the Basket would help as well.
Did you use wire for the Winch truck cable as well & where on the Balloon did you connect it?

KaiserRushforth
06-22-2011, 09:01
No probs, for the basket a turn and crimp of the 2 wires and a gentle solder blob holds it rigidly in place. I did not finish the tow line as yet, but have made it the same way, and connected into a hole in the balloon. I used a separate stand for holding the balloon iteslf to take any strain off the wire/vehicle.

gully_raker
06-22-2011, 21:11
No probs, for the basket a turn and crimp of the 2 wires and a gentle solder blob holds it rigidly in place. I did not finish the tow line as yet, but have made it the same way, and connected into a hole in the balloon. I used a separate stand for holding the balloon iteslf to take any strain off the wire/vehicle.

Thanks for that additional info!

MayorJim
06-28-2011, 13:52
Daryl,

These came out really nice! How did you come up with the color scheme(s)? (especially for the"P"?)

KaiserRushforth
07-07-2011, 13:07
I based the colours on the info from Skytrex, they had some colour pics in the kits, as well as a quick google search on colours,