PDA

View Full Version : Altitude revisited

Redwolf
06-04-2011, 10:50
Hi again guys

I have been working on my operation crossbow rules and as I was I started thinking on the altitude problems and how to simplify them

I have come up with an idea and would like to put it past you all to see if I am thinking correctly

Altitude

Climbing and diving

If you want to climb then you take one climb token per altitude you want to climb, up to your climb rate, these have to be played on any manoeuvre card.

If you want to Dive then you take one recovery token per altitude you want to Dive, up to your climb rate, these have to be played on any manoeuvre card.

If climb above the aircrafts service ceiling (max altitude) this becomes an illegal manouver and the illigal move rule applies but also the house rule Uncontrolled

Stall rule applies

use more than the aircrafts climb rate again stall rule applies this becomes an illegal manouver and the illigal move rule applies but also the house rule Uncontrolled

Stall rule applies

Diving and bombing Immelman*split s use normal rules except use tokens up to climb rate again same applies for diving Altitude is marked on base dials
(IDEA NOTE : WHEN DIVING ADD ONE TO THE CLIMB RATE to be worked out later)

Uncontrolled Stall

If you go above your altitude or try to go higher than your climb rate then your aircraft will then go into an uncontrolled stall

If you enter an uncontrolled stall roll to see if you enter a stall dive or a flat spin.

Roll 1d6 and if you roll an odd number roll means a flat spin, if you roll an even number a stall dive

You enter then roll 1d6 again and refere to the followng table to determine the amount of turns it takes to gain control of your aircraft, taking a recovery token for

each turn it takes :-

1 4 recover tokens
2 5 recover tokens
3 6 recover tokens
4 4 recover tokens
5 5 recover tokens
6 6 recover tokens

Each turn use the Stall card and reduce altitude by 1 and remove a recovery token

If in a Flat Spin again turn use the Stall card and reduce altitude by 1 and remove a recovery token then rotate the aircraft 90 degrees

well guys what do you think

steel_ratt
06-04-2011, 11:11
Ummmm.... this could just be me, but this doesn't sound 'simplified'. I got lost about half way through!

Albert Ross
06-04-2011, 13:06
Me too!
We just do one climb or dive card = up or down one flight level; keeps the game moving. Scouts move up/down immediately the card is played, 2 seaters move at the start of the following turn. Rather than fiddle with ill-fitting pegs, we have three poker chips numbered 1, 2 or 3 stacked on the player board. The top number is the flight level you're at.

Going above level 3 means you have climbed above the fight and are lost in the sun's glare. Just like flying off board, you return to your base line and draw a damage card to see how many turns you have to wait (maximum 3) before rejoining the action.

Bartman
06-04-2011, 14:41
I'm with Stuart and Jon. I don't follow :dazed:

Can you further explain how these work:

If you want to climb then you take one climb token per altitude you want to climb, up to your climb rate, these have to be played on any manoeuvre card.

If you want to Dive then you take one recovery token per altitude you want to Dive, up to your climb rate, these have to be played on any manoeuvre card.

CappyTom
06-04-2011, 14:51
If I'm reading it right, using a up or down token which you place on your maneuver card the plane goes up or down. If you use two in a turn or exceed your climb rate you stall.
I like the stall part but I would use the out of control card usage here for a flat spin.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11288&d=1302363432

Tom

Redwolf
06-05-2011, 06:50
ok i will definatly have to learn to explain things a lot better hehe

here goes ...

as outlined in dawn of war and fire from the sky each aircraft has a mamimum altitude and also a climb rate

what I wanted to do was bring the climb rate in a little more by allowing in 1 turn (rather than 1 phase and over ) to climb or dive up to the climb rate, thus allowing more manouverability with the altitude, i.e. an aircraft with a faster climb rate pulling away from a slower one etc.

As the climb rates in the rule books show how many turns it takes to climb 1 altitude (or am I reading it wrong ?) then I was thnking of using the following reference table like below to show how many altitudes the aircraft could climb in one turn :-

climb rate of less than or equal to 3 Climbs up to 3 altitudes
climb rate of 4 Climbs up to 2 altitudes
climb rate of Greater than or equal to 5 Climbs up to 1 altitude

To show this in the planning phase I was suggesting using the climb counters placed on the cards for each turn (one counter per altitude climbing) to show how many altitudes the aircraft is climbing that turn and the same would apply for the diving as well but using the recovery tokens instead.

as for the uncontrolled flat spin I think I would use the out of control card usage for a flat spin as shown by tom, (but tom can you explain it or show me the thread where it is so I can explain to others how it works) as this would look a lot better

CappyTom
06-05-2011, 07:06
ok i will definatly have to learn to explain things a lot better hehe

here goes ...

as outlined in dawn of war and fire from the sky each aircraft has a mamimum altitude and also a climb rate

what I wanted to do was bring the climb rate in a little more by allowing in 1 turn (rather than 1 phase and over ) to climb or dive up to the climb rate, thus allowing more manouverability with the altitude, i.e. an aircraft with a faster climb rate pulling away from a slower one etc.

As the climb rates in the rule books show how many turns it takes to climb 1 altitude (or am I reading it wrong ?) then I was thnking of using the following reference table like below to show how many altitudes the aircraft could climb in one turn :-

climb rate of less than or equal to 3 Climbs up to 3 altitudes
climb rate of 4 Climbs up to 2 altitudes
climb rate of Greater than or equal to 5 Climbs up to 1 altitude

To show this in the planning phase I was suggesting using the climb counters placed on the cards for each turn (one counter per altitude climbing) to show how many altitudes the aircraft is climbing that turn and the same would apply for the diving as well but using the recovery tokens instead.

as for the uncontrolled flat spin I think I would use the out of control card usage for a flat spin as shown by tom, (but tom can you explain it or show me the thread where it is so I can explain to others how it works) as this would look a lot better

Flash is the one who came up with it here is the link (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2375-Spinning-Out&highlight=spin+out).

Tom

Redwolf
06-05-2011, 07:37
Tom Thanks I appreciate the link

so here is the modified flat spin rules I will be using

Uncontrolled Stall

If you go above your altitude or try to go higher than your climb rate then your aircraft will then go into an uncontrolled stall

If you enter an uncontrolled stall roll to see if you enter a stall dive or a flat spin.

Roll 1d6 and if you roll an odd number roll means a flat spin, if you roll an even number a stall dive

You enter then roll 1d6 again and refere to the followng table to determine the amount of turns it takes to gain control of your aircraft, taking a recovery token for

each turn it takes :-

1 4 left or right turn cards and 4 recovery tokens
2 5 left or right turn cards and 5 recovery tokens
3 6 left or right turn cards and 6 recovery tokens
4 4 left or right turn cards and 4 recovery tokens
5 5 left or right turn cards and 5 recovery tokens
6 6 left or right turn cards and 6 recovery tokens

Each turn place the left or right turn card 90 degrees on the front of the base and reduce altitude by 1 and remove a recovery token, the diagram to explain this, as provided by Tom, is by Flash (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2375-Spinning-Out&highlight=spin+out).

Thanks Flash this is a brilliant idea

CappyTom
06-05-2011, 08:16
Thank you, you have a great idea there.

Tom