PDA

View Full Version : Bomb rules help/clarification

ste_marthe
11-10-2009, 17:10
Hey guys!

Last night I wanted to try a Fire from the sky solo scenario. THe on over Malta or something like that...anyways

I went thru the game but always doubting myself when trying to bomb stuff...

Level bombing

Is my interpretation correct?
- You can only decide to bomb at the start of a turn i.e before revealing any of the 3 maneuvers.

- When you do decide to drop, you place maneuver card, move the plane and then in front of the plane put the same maneuver there and then place the bomb?

- If the bomb is at level (2-3 using altitude) you put 2 counters. The bomb should hit before revealing the 3rd maneuver after that?

Dive bombing

- If at 1 or 2 alt and your next card is a dive, you can drop the bomb?

- This can only be done at the start of the 3 maneuver turn?

Is this correct? It was not quite clear to me how to bomb using altitude.:confused:

Thanks!

Keep flying!:D

krolik
11-10-2009, 19:50
You can only decide to bomb at the start of a turn i.e before revealing any of the 3 maneuvers.

If you're playing WW II, shouldn't you only have two cards?

Oberst Hajj
11-10-2009, 21:56
Page 24 of the DoW Miniature rules states:

Level Bombing

Before revealing any maneuver, the bomber can decide to drop one or more groups of bombs, or even the entire load.

So, it does not have to be at the start of a turn.

It goes on to say:

Execute the maneuver and, before weapon fire is resolved, place the bombs into play in the following manner. If the bomber's last maneuver was a stall, place a stall in front of the airplane and then place the bomb card so the arrow on its rear matches the one at the rear of the stall card. If the last maneuver was not a stall, place a straight in front of the plane. Use the long arrow if the is at High Speed or the short arrow if it is at Low Speed.

As soon as the bombs are placed on the table, the hit the ground.

Adding altitude into it:

If the plane is at altitude 1 when it drops its bombs, they hit the ground immediately. If the plane is above altitude 1 when it drops the bombs, place one or more counters on the bomb card when it is placed on the table. Place one counter if the altitude is 2 or 3, two counters if it is 4-6, three counters if it is 7-10, and four counters if it above altitude 10. The bombs don't hit the ground when they are placed on the table, and they are not removed. Instead, in each subsequent movement phase, they are moved forward using the same maneuver card they ere placed with (stall, shorts straight, or long straight), then one counter is taken away. The bombs have no effect on any other card or model (target cards and airplanes, for example) while the bombs are int he air. Once the last counter is removed, the bombs hit the ground in their current location.

So, you do not place the same maneuver card in front of the plane that the plane just did, you place either a stall, short straight (for any slow maneuver) or long straight (for any fast maneuver). If you placed two counters on the bomb card, they would hit as soon as you remove the last counter, so it would hit after the 2nd maneuver.

For the dive bombing, you have it correct except it can be done after any maneuver, not just the start of the turn.

Hope this helps!

nachinus
11-11-2009, 03:34
ste_marthe, as the colonel pointed out, many of your problems are because you are using ww1 system instead of ww2 when it comes to planning and executing movements.

- If at 1 or 2 alt and your next card is a dive, you can drop the bomb?

It should be possible. The rules say that when you dive at altitude 1 you end up at altitude 0 plus 1 climb counter. But IMHO, that rule was thought with the normal dive maneuvre in mind, not thinking about the 80-90º special bombing dive card that comes with fire in the sky I decks. So we don't use that rule for those total dives, we modified it so that if you make such dive at altitude 1, you crash.

ste_marthe
11-11-2009, 09:40
Ok, one thing I realized is I read that part too fast. The way it was written, the "Before revealing any maneuver" for me it was before any of the 3...not that particular maneuver...

So, if i'm at level 2 and my second maneuver card if it is a dive I can decide to drop or not before hand. If I drop the bomb, I place the dive, move the plane, place the bomb in front of the plane?

When using the level bombing, why woould your bomb start out so far ahead? I would of figured the bomb slowly trailing you but still going foward. I found it awkward having my bomb dropping in front of me.

Thanks for the help!!

Tallyho
11-11-2009, 11:44
So, if i'm at level 2 and my second maneuver card if it is a dive I can decide to drop or not before hand.

Yes, this is correct. You can decide to drop a bomb, bombs, or all your bombs at any point. However, you have to take your bomb card out and get ready to use it before you reveal your maneuver. I believe this is to keep people from "cheating" -- that is, by taking out the bomb card you signal to your opponent you're going to drop your bombs and you can't "take back" your bomb drop if you don't like where your maneuver puts your aircraft.

If I drop the bomb, I place the dive, move the plane, place the bomb in front of the plane?

Mostly yes. As a level bomber you do not have to dive, and since you are using altitude rules you can drop your bombs from any altitude level -- it doesn't have to be altitude level 2.

These are the steps I would follow for level bombing with altitude:

Before revealing your maneuver, take out your bomb card and let your opponent know you're going to drop bombs.

Place your maneuver and move your aircraft.

If the maneuver from Step 2 was a Stall, then place a Stall card in front of your aircraft and place the bomb card on the Stall card as if the bomb were an airplane.

If the maneuver from Step 2 was not a Stall, then place a Straight card in front of your aircraft. Place the bomb card on the Straight card using the long arrow if your airplane moved at High Speed or the short arrow if your airplane moved at Low Speed.

If you dropped the bombs from altitude 1, they hit the ground immediately. If you are higher than that you must put some counters on your bomb card. At altitude 2- 3, place one counter. At altitude 4- 6, place two counters. At altitude 7- 10, place three counters. At altitude 11 and higher, place four counters.

If your bomb card has a counter on it, do not remove the bomb card. Instead, at the next maneuver phase, move the bomb card using the same card you used to place it in Step 3 (Stall, Long Straight, Short Straight) and take off one counter. If you take off the last counter then the bomb hits the ground at that time.

When using the level bombing, why woould your bomb start out so far ahead? I would of figured the bomb slowly trailing you but still going foward. I found it awkward having my bomb dropping in front of me.

I'm not really sure, either. I'm guessing it's for simplicity -- put the bombs out in front so they get out of the way of the aircraft's card/model. You could always try it with the bomb behind the plane and see how it works out, though.

Oberst Hajj
11-11-2009, 14:53
Tallyho's step by step covers it really well, good job man.

Yes, this is correct. You can decide to drop a bomb, bombs, or all your bombs at any point. However, you have to take your bomb card out and get ready to use it before you reveal your maneuver. I believe this is to keep people from "cheating" -- that is, by taking out the bomb card you signal to your opponent you're going to drop your bombs and you can't "take back" your bomb drop if you don't like where your maneuver puts your aircraft.

Our group requires the person place their bomb card next to there plane so all can see they will be dropping bombs after the next move.

I'm not really sure, either. I'm guessing it's for simplicity -- put the bombs out in front so they get out of the way of the aircraft's card/model. You could always try it with the bomb behind the plane and see how it works out, though.

I think it is for simplicity. I also imagine most players/planes do not do a straight move right after dropping the bombs (evasive maneuvers and all), so having the bombs out front is kind of like dropping them and pulling away so you can see where they hit.