PDA

View Full Version : Shoot at the Real Thing?

gully_raker
05-26-2011, 19:49
:) G'day Chaps!
with the thought of the upcoming Knights Campaign I wanted to know how many of you use the Rule "Shoot at the Real thing" when using minatures.

Do you rule that the ruler must reach from the pegs to any part of the attacked aircraft of from peg to any part of the base?

I will use your input for our club rules.

Thanks for voting! :thankyou:

grumpybear
05-26-2011, 20:03
We shoot peg to peg . If in range etc. measure from shooters peg to target peg if in fireng arc a shot

The Cowman
05-26-2011, 20:09
In my events, one normally measures from peg to card or base. This keeps it simple.... However, I have used the rule that one measures from the guns, to the actual mini. This makes bombers pretty interesting at times. The downside is that it can create a bit of uncertainty if you are using gimbal mounts...

costampede
05-26-2011, 20:24
We use peg to base, w/ miniatures it could be hard to tell if you hit the plane, especially on gimbal mounts and when you do a turn manuver you tilt your plane that way giving a smaller target. If its peg to card that would be alot easier to tell if you hit the plane.

Hunter
05-26-2011, 21:12
Peg to base/card, obviously within the firing arc.

wargamer
05-26-2011, 23:02
Also peg to peg for mini's or red dot to red dot for card's.

Nightbomber
05-27-2011, 00:10
Peg to base. Much more simple, especially when playing with novices.

Ginarley
05-27-2011, 02:00
Peg to base for us. We found using the mini meant issues around the orientation of the mini, and also although we don't generally use altitude, we have the planes at different heights to make overlapping easier so that creates problems with an angled ruler. All in all peg to base seems the simplest, most accurate and least likely to generate controversy.

Goetz Keitl
05-27-2011, 02:05
We measure from "gunpoint" to Mini. So with the most of the figthers we start right in front of the upper wing.
For us this works just fine.

Yours Joerg

Flying Officer Kyte
05-27-2011, 02:36
We measure from "gunpoint" to Mini. So with the most of the figthers we start right in front of the upper wing.
For us this works just fine.

Yours Joerg

I tend to do the same, at least in "friendly" games.
Rob.

flash
05-27-2011, 03:01
We shoot peg to peg - find it gives us the most accurate measure.
Have done peg to base but find that's too easy and negates effectiveness of air-craft manoeuvrability (the old just clipped the corner of your base scenario); peg to model would be more acceptable but then there could be the Gimbal/attitude issues already mentioned.

g.paoletti
05-27-2011, 13:57
Only peg to base/card.

G.

Danrit
05-27-2011, 14:21
Gun to plane. This means that large two seaters are easier to hit, which mirrors real life I suppose. I don't use Gimbal mounts and planes are always faced directly forwards to cut out any ambiguity.

CappyTom
05-27-2011, 15:25
Peg to card. KISS But I do like the idea about peg to peg for the more experienced pilots.

Tom

AndrewLupp
05-27-2011, 15:31
Hello all! ( My first post.. finally)

We like to use PEG of the Miniature (or red dot for cards) to any overlapping part of the target plane - within the firing arc of both front or rear guns. Why?

Well, we use the PEG ( Red Dot) because it is my understanding that firing occurs simultaneous with the movement of the plane in the phase it fires. So the center point more or less approximates the planes position during that 1/2 second of actual time. We have tried from the gun position ( front of the plane) and my thought is that means the range is determined from the planes ending point only which seems limiting considering the plane is in motion. But really, it didn't change things too much.

We like to shoot at the actual figure (or plane shape on the cards) for the pure fun factor. First the varying sizes and shapes of the planes provide more variance in shot success. (the larger they are the easier they are to hit) And that seems to translate pretty well.. The De Havilland and the Breguet are easier targets to hit than a D VII. And secondly, usually when a target is hit, one can clearly define which part of the plane is hit (just for the fun of it) and sometimes the damage cards even reflect that!

gully_raker
05-27-2011, 16:51
:thumbsup: Thanks for all the posts & ideas you have submitted so far!
Interesting idea of measuring from the Guns to the target. I rather like that & will run it past the Group.;)

Keep those votes coming! :thumbsup:

steel_ratt
05-27-2011, 19:36
Generally lines of fire should be reversible. Should it really make a difference if your plane's nose is one foot longer than your opponent's? Peg (or guns) to actual aircraft will give you that situation.