PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Mission Help

charlest
05-23-2011, 09:36
My group plays WoW like once a month (sometimes less). We enjoy it very much but do a lot of other gaming as well (RPGs, boardgames, wargaming, etc.).

I hosted a mini campaign this past weekend and we ran into an annoying issue - balanced missions. We flew our first missions with altitude rules doing a balloon bust and a 2-seater bombing run.

Plane balance is not an issue - we have a good read on that. The issue is how many points to score for a downed balloon, how many for a bombing run, how many points per kill, if you flee etc.

The only rulebook I own is Burning Drachens and we tried using some of the scenarios in there for guidance on the balloon mission but we found balance out of whack. For instance, it's much easier to down a balloon with 3 planes than it would be with 1 on each side. Anyone have any suggestions? I fear my group will want to just stick with dogfights but I really enjoy the missions

Hunter
05-24-2011, 18:58
Check out the Colonels, Knights of The Air (KoTA), campaign in the Files section of The Aerodrome. It lists Victory points for the teams and individual points for experience. Could be areference point for you setting up your individual point system. In my Flight we use the KoTA points in all our scenarios. Hope this helps.

Since you are hosting these campaigns you should look into becoming a Flight Leader, if your group does not have one. If you want to check into it, let the Colonel know and he'll set you up. Keep up the missions and check your six.

Jythier
07-01-2011, 20:32
I've found that if you balance the planes, you will tend to get the result of the target being destroyed, but also most of the attacking force is destroyed with limited casualties to the defending team. This could be a mission-based mindset that we have in our group that may not be present elsewhere. I assume if all the aircraft focused on dogfighting instead of the mission, then it would be more likely to get downed defending aircraft and unsuccessful missions. It's very difficult to defend even hard targets in this game, as long as there is enough aircraft to take them out.