PDA

View Full Version : Using DoW as a base for a more Modern Style game

The Juggernaut
05-22-2011, 23:07
Posting this in house rules for DoW because It uses DoW as a base and I have no idea where would be better. Moderators, feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

As a fan of modern fighters and Wings of War's beautiful simplistic system, I felt the need to attempt a modern version of the game. I didn't want to change too much and add as little as possible to avoid over complication. In the end I narrowed it down to basic things that would have to be included:

A) More Speed Control - With afterburners and air brakes, modern planes have a much greater range of speeds they can achieve, I felt it was necessary to include this and the pro's and con's of using afterburners and very low speeds.

B) Vectored Thrust - Can't have a modern game without the good old F-22 can you? and it has to play like it too.

C) Better Climb/Dive Rates - Modern planes can make vertical climbs and dives, and with the incredible speeds they can move while doing it the current altitude system couldn't display this accurately.

D) Missiles - From the few times I've seen this subject come up it is almost always shot down by the idea that missiles would slow down the game by adding too many objects to have to plan for. I believe the system I developed will more accurately display the behavior of a missile and make the movement of it fast and painless.

So onto the New Rules:

You now have 3 speeds, Low, Mid, and High. Instead of having Fast/Slow tokens you now have Speed up/down tokens that take you up or down one level of speed.

(I am thinking of adding a 4th level called Afterburners/Super-cruise but am still thinking on that one)

Some planes have special "Drift/Vectored Thrust/whatever" cards that move the plane forward but end it's movement at a 90 degree angle, to use it you must be moving at mid or high speed, use the card, and have a stall planned as your next maneuver.
Oh and stalls reset your speed to low

Climbing and diving still uses a counter system, but differently. the speed in which you gain or lose counters is based on your airspeed, and you can play multiple climbs and dives in succession.

Climb Dive
Low +1 -2
Mid +2 -3
High +3 -4

A/S +4 -5 (if I include it)

obviously if you lose more counters then you have you carry them over to the next altitude level, and vice versa.

Now to Missiles, I will explain in writting and then post Pictures I made to help anyone better understand what I mean.

to fire a missile you have to first acquire a lock, you acquire a lock by holding a target in you firing arch for multiple moves in succession, and if they ever wander out of that arch you have to start counting all over again when you get back on their tail. the missiles range is past gun range, and within 3 ruler lengths of the end of gun range

(imagine four range rulers from end to end, with the first being red and having a line halfway to indicate short/long range as normal, but the other 3 are a solid blue, this would be missile range. yes I know missiles have a better range then that but this IS a game after all)

for each turn they are in your missile range and arch, you place a "lock token" on their plane, after you have enough lock tokens on that plane for the type of missile you are trying to use, you can fire right away, in the same turn that that last token was placed.

the missile card is placed right in front of the firing plane like a movement card.

next move, after the target plane moves, the missile checks to see if the target is within it's own (the missile cards) "tracking arch" (just like a firing arch on a plane card) and if it is, the missile turns to be lined up with the planes center and moves a set distance. this continues every time the target plane moves until the target plane uses flares, gets hit by the missile (the card ends up overlapping or moving over the target plane card) or ends up outside of the missiles tracking arch, in which the missile card is counted as a miss and is removed from the table.

Now I have no Idea if they are going to upload in the correct order so pay attention to what the text on each one says.

I still have yet to make plane cards, stats, whatever so all of this is just an idea. Still though, I want to know what you guys think? Sound playible? too unrealistic? anything sound overcomplicated or too simplified?

richard m schwab
05-24-2011, 16:45
Conner!

Well done! If you have some photos of the planes you want depicted PM max. He may be able to help you. he made these for me recently!

rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=531

The Juggernaut
05-25-2011, 10:53
I've been working on the cards myself, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm actually running into a little bit of a roadblock when trying to decide how to generate the stats for these planes, all modern fighters only carry a single cannon that is usually in between 20-30mm, which doesn't leave much to cause a major difference.
However, there is a MAJOR difference in rate of fire, from as low as 1500 to 6600 rounds a minuet, so I'm thinking of having the type of damage (A-B-C) depend on the size of the round, and rate of fire control how many tokens are taken. This system would favor american made planes though and I'm concerned about balance.

How many missiles each carries was easy enough, just half of the actual planes payloadworks great from my playtests.

Speed and maneuveriblity is a little tough, I've been trying to use things such as climb rate, maximum speed and such, but with modern aircraft it's become such a close battle there really doesn't leave much to differ the planes apart from each other in this regard.

And how much damage a plane can take... I'm at a loss here, for my playtests I used the planes unloaded weight to decide the number of points, using the logic as there is more mass to take the rounds from an enemy gun (missiles were instant death in the playtests we did). Does this seem right, or is there something better to go off of?

Also, Stealth is the new black with modern fighters, so I want to impliment it in a minor way, I was thinking of having stealth planes take an extra turn to be locked onto. What do you guys think?

I was also playing with the idea of having a few different missile types for players to pick from to outfit their plane, like air-to-air, air-to-ground, joint strike (engage any target, but longer lock time) and of course umguided bombs, a few people liked it but some thought it was too much, and some wanted more and too have missiles use damage tokens and not instant death and whatnot. So I'm curious, what do you guys think is best?