PDA

View Full Version : 1st Game: Review & Questions

Greywolf
11-08-2009, 00:44
Finally got a chance to play WoW today. Got to play two games.

Planes:

Central Empires:
Fokker D Va
LFG Roland

Allied Forces:
Sopwith Camel
De Havilland D.H.4

Straight "free For All"

Game #1:
was a trial game we were trying out the maneuver decks.

Q: when you finish doing the three movement phases and discard the cards. In the next phase you choose three cards again from the main deck. Do you reuse the three you've used in the previous turn or just keep on drawing and discarding cards from the main deck? until you have no more cards left and then start the deck over.

We set up and started to close towards each other. It was like a weird dance as we banked, jigged and weaved around the table finally my brother inlaw Mark positions his Sopwith Camel in close to my LFG and open fires with two quick bursts. I draw two cards and get "0" and "BOOM!" the LFG bursts into flames and plummets to the ground. The poor lone Fokker D Va has by then taken quit a pounding and its not long before he also a flaming wreck.

Allied forces: 1
Central Empire: 0

Game #2:
this is more fast paced game as we found out we weren't doing any shooting at the end of each movement phase so this time the game is really fast. The planes are shooting at each other and its not long before the LFG is not only on fire but also has a rear gun jam. The Sopwith Camel also suffers the same fate and is Jammed as well the De Havilland D.H.4 is not unscathed and is also on fire.

Q: I take it the jam symbols that have red and green are there to represent the front gunner/pilot and rear gunner to help identify who is jammed?

It was when drawing his damage card for the fire effect that Mark suffers the "BOOM!!!" effect. So now its the Germans that have the upper hand. With some fancy flying [loop to loops and twists] the LFG's rear gunner gets a close ranged shot at the Sopwith Camel and lets him have it "Daka Daka Daka" unfortunately the plane survives but the pilot is shredded by the machine gun fire. the Germans watch as the Sopwith Camel spirals down and crashes near the German trenches.

Will add some pics to the Gallery section of the game we had it was alot of fun and the second game was really quick.

Had some issues with height.

Q: does altitude effect shooting? eg if your higher can you shoot over/under another plane to one behind it? are there penalties for shooting at some one at a higher/lower altitude?.

Allied forces: 1
Central Empire: 1

So its all tied up and we'll be playing a lot more games soon hopefully my brother in law will get hooked and buy some minis as well.

Cheers
GW

The Blue Baron
11-08-2009, 03:03
Q1: when you finish doing the three movement phases and discard the cards. In the next phase you choose three cards again from the main deck. Do you reuse the three you've used in the previous turn or just keep on drawing and discarding cards from the main deck? until you have no more cards left and then start the deck over.

Q2: I take it the jam symbols that have red and green are there to represent the front gunner/pilot and rear gunner to help identify who is jammed?

Q3: does altitude effect shooting? eg if your higher can you shoot over/under another plane to one behind it? are there penalties for shooting at some one at a higher/lower altitude?

A1: You may use the same cards every turn.

A2: No, the gun that dealed the damage jams. The colour (red/green) only matters if you use some of the optional rules i.e. bullet checker.

A3: At the same altitude you deal 1 card of damage if the oponent is in 1 ruler reach or 2 cards if he is in half a ruler reach. If you are one plain higher ore lower you deal no damage if the oponent is in 1 ruler reach or 1 card of damage if he is in half a ruler reach. If you are two plains higher or lower you cannot shoot.

Greywolf
11-08-2009, 03:21
thx Blue Baron.

Was a lot of fun I'm itching for another game. WoW is my kind of crack.
got to wait two days before my next game. Work mate is coming over to learn to play should be good.

Cheers
GW

The Blue Baron
11-08-2009, 03:28
I played on friday and saturday and now I have to wait for at least 1 week...

Oberst Hajj
11-08-2009, 04:48
My last fix was last Sunday! Next chance I'll get is maybe Thursday :(

Greywolf
11-10-2009, 16:06
on to my 4th game so far.

3rd game was a disaster:

LFG was on fire last fire counter to be removed and draws the explosion card.
Albatros D Va gets shot at long range and also draws an explosion card.... arrgghh!!!!

4th game:

Same thing again LFG is on fire and draws the explosion card....not again.

and now my Albatros just did an Immelmann turn and as usual did a straight maneuver at the same time the De Havilland DH4 also did a straight move we are also both at the same altitude. Are we both dead or do we sail past each other. if he completes his move he'll have to sit his plane on top of mine.

Also what does the red straight cards mean?
and do I change altitude when the plane uses the short stall card?

Cheers
GW

Pooh
11-10-2009, 17:50
When planes collide, each plane draws a "C" damage card. Usually these don't mean instant death but may mean a boatload of damage.

The red cards:
The long red straight is the dive card. When you use it you lose a complete level of altitude plus any partial levels (climb chits)
The short red (stall) is the climb card. When you use it you go up 1 climb chit. Only when you have accumulated enough climb chits to equal your planes climb rate do you go up another altitude level.
For example: the Spad XIII has a climb rate of 3. It will take 3 turns, climbing 1 chit each turn to get to the next altitude level. If this seems complicated and you want to use altitude, Col. Hajj has a simpler system on this site.

Pooh

Greywolf
11-10-2009, 18:34
I take it the altitude rules are in the miniature rules?

must find them i think I did download them some where...

thx heaps

Cheers
GW

Oberst Hajj
11-10-2009, 21:15
You can find the altitude rules in BD or the Miniatures rule books.

Greywolf
11-10-2009, 21:25
You can find the altitude rules in BD or the Miniatures rule books.

got it read it can sort of understand it. Will give it ago next game

Cheers
GW

Greywolf
11-13-2009, 01:25
OMG!!!! I had a game tonight against my WIFE!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

she said she better see what all the hoo ha was about.
The game went well she understood how the dynamics worked and was getting into it. I sort of knew she didn't mind playing the game when she made a crashing sound when the De Havilland D.H.4 (Cadbury & Leckie) exploded. she got my Albatros D Va down to 1 damage point. Her Sopwith Camel finally got nailed that took 17 damage. both planes suffered from fire. and one had smoke and fire.

I think she enjoyed herself. we even got to use the new WoW play mats I got for my birthday present. :D:D

got more games planed next week. 3 games on Tuesday follwed by a whole weekend of playing WoW. life's great....

Cheers
GW

Dathbain
11-13-2009, 07:01
Isnt it awesome when your wife wants to play WoW! ive been lucky in that my wife played one game and was hooked, and then she said when are you going to get the other sets? Life can be pretty sweet.

Greywolf
11-20-2009, 12:42
Had a game last night against my wife's brother.

He enjoyed himself. Game ended at 12:30am was getting a bit late we had things we needed to do in the morning [ two kids and get the girls off on their Twilight movie trip.]

So we finished. Germans 1pt Vs Allies -1pts.

It was an interesting game. [see the pics in my photo album]

we played the standard Altitude rules and we didn't have to many problems. a few crashes which we used the C damage deck to resolve damage. [Karl drew the "10" damage card but still took ages for his plane to be destroy his dam plane.]

it was an interesting game. two German planes had engine damage, whilst only one Allied plane did. Karl was getting a bit feed up with the amount of jam cards he was having to deal with.

no planes caught on fire thought he had two with smoke.
we spent quite a few turns just circling around the fields [we played on the two play mats East & west. might have been to big an area as we had to much room to maneuver.]

We are going to try another game today, two fighters and one two-seater each to try out the blind spot, Altitude, and tailing rules on the two-seaters.

will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
GW

Greywolf
11-20-2009, 20:45
My brother inlaw [Karl] and I are actually in the process of playing a game.

so far its been a rather interesting game.

I lost my first plane the Albatros D Va in the first turn of shooting with the explosion card. [we re-spawned him] but later on my Roland Cii also took an explosion card after having a collision with his De Havilland D.H.4.

his De Havilland D.H.4 finally went down in a blaze of glory [a total of 5 zero damage cards] dam his luck.

seems his Spad xiii wasn't immune to the explosion card as well and again this was after a collision as well. we are playing on the eastern play mat.

the other thing Karl has suffered from a lot of jams is this normal?

we have a few questions.

Q: two German planes are facing each other they have almost collided into each other but were lucky not to. Next turn one is going to turn and the other is going to dive down. when is the altitude peg removed? at the end of the move or beginning. the reason why we are asking is if the peg is removed after the plane has moved is there a chance that a collision could happen?

Q: how long are planes effected by the rudder jam? in the Miniature rule book it says the plane can't use the right/left turns [B]for the next turn whilst the Burning draken states from the next turn. which is correct?

Q: are we playing the stall card correctly when we give the plane doing the stall a climb counter?

Q: when we give a plane a climb card [short red straight] do only give the plane a single climb counter?

Cheers
GW

The Blue Baron
11-21-2009, 00:58
Q1: two German planes are facing each other they have almost collided into each other but were lucky not to. Next turn one is going to turn and the other is going to dive down. when is the altitude peg removed? at the end of the move or beginning. the reason why we are asking is if the peg is removed after the plane has moved is there a chance that a collision could happen?

Q2: how long are planes effected by the rudder jam? in the Miniature rule book it says the plane can't use the right/left turns [B]for the next turn whilst the Burning draken states from the next turn. which is correct?

Q3: are we playing the stall card correctly when we give the plane doing the stall a climb counter?

Q: when we give a plane a climb card [short red straight] do only give the plane a single climb counter?

Cheers
GW

A1: You move both planes and remove the pegs. Afterwards you check for collisions.

A2: The maneuvers that are allready planed are performed normally. In the next turn no right/left maneuvers may be planed.

A3: No, after performing the normal stall (blue arrow) you don't get a climb counter.

A4: Yes.

IRM
11-21-2009, 04:34
Just to clarify A2: the rudder jam only affects the plane in the first planning phase after it happens. After those 3 cards are played it's back to normal. Only damage results that actually specify that they affect the plane for the rest of the game do so (engine and pilot damage).

bsmith13
11-21-2009, 08:07
Just to clarify A2: the rudder jam only affects the plane in the first planning phase after it happens. After those 3 cards are played it's back to normal. Only damage results that actually specify that they affect the plane for the rest of the game do so (engine and pilot damage).

You know, I somehow missed this fact. We've been playing the rudder damage as permanent. I guess I felt that since we didn't have R2-D2 behind us, once the rudder was broken, it was broken for good.

Greywolf
11-21-2009, 19:55
Its been great playing against a newbie as he asked questions I hadn't even thought about. So getting his feed back was good. We found the Altitude was ok and didn't have to many issues besides a few crashes.

he enjoyed himself and wants to play more games when we get a chance.

Cheers
GW

IRM
11-22-2009, 06:43
You know, I somehow missed this fact. We've been playing the rudder damage as permanent. I guess I felt that since we didn't have R2-D2 behind us, once the rudder was broken, it was broken for good.

I'd take it as jammed rather than shot off, just needs a good few stamps on the pedals;)

I wasn't sure about that result for a while until it was clarified over on the FFG forums. I've been house-ruling that 2 jams results for the same side make the damage permanent.

And while I'm here Greywolf, it's probably worth downloading the Deluxe Set rulebook from the files section. It's more clearly written than the rules from the boxes (written in English rather than translated from Italian perhaps ?).

Greywolf
11-22-2009, 10:08
I will have a look at the FFG site.

but its a bit of a pain to have bought the three main box sets and to have each one say different things regarding the same rules.

Cheers
GW

Oberst Hajj
11-23-2009, 10:02
Andrea covered the whole different rule thing in his reply to the Two seater blind spot thread... just FYI for any that might not have seen that.

Greywolf
11-23-2009, 10:14
Andrea covered the whole different rule thing in his reply to the Two seater blind spot thread... just FYI for any that might not have seen that.

I did see that thread been posting to it as well....

Cheers
GW

thumper7458
12-17-2009, 11:21
Q: when you finish doing the three movement phases and discard the cards. In the next phase you choose three cards again from the main deck. Do you reuse the three you've used in the previous turn or just keep on drawing and discarding cards from the main deck? until you have no more cards left and then start the deck over.

I may have misread the rules but we play it as follows:

When you finish doing the three movement phases you don't put those cards back in the main deck right away, first you choose three new cards from the main deck, then you place the 3 previously spent cards back in the main deck. This prevents you from using the exact same cards back to back

I could be wrong

Oberst Hajj
12-18-2009, 07:57
You should always have a complete maneuver deck to choose from at the start of every turn. So, you should be recycling the cards you used every turn.