PDA

View Full Version : New Ace Skill idea

Oberst Hajj
05-20-2011, 06:28
One of the guys at our campaign suggested a new Ace skill last night, a climb rate increase. So, something like this:

Soaring Eagle I (need a better name then that I think)
24 pts
Passive

The Ace has mastered the delicate balance between power and climb. His plane's climb rate is one less then the plane's listed stat.

Soaring Eagle II (need a better name then that I think)
12 pts
Active

Not sure about the level II skill yet. Maybe allow them to do a "over climb"?

Thoughts on this one?

grumpybear
05-20-2011, 06:33
I think thats a good one, but I know it will be a long time till Ican use it. I really need it now no matter what you call it.

costampede
05-20-2011, 08:03
Just throwing this out there, not sure which should be level 1 and level 2. Climb rate reduced be 1, and you can perform a climb and immelman in the same turn.

Just a thought.

Oberst Hajj
05-20-2011, 08:11
Tony, I thought about the climb and Immelmann in the same turn as well. I did not go that route as it effectively doubles your climb rate.

tuladin
05-20-2011, 08:51
A pilot with this skill flying a Siemens-Schuckert D.IV would have a climb rate of 0. Would he be able to climb 1 level per turn without playing a climb card?

costampede
05-20-2011, 08:56
You could have your climb rate reduced by 1, and do the climb/immelman once every two or three turns.

I like the climb rate reduced by 1 but am stumped on what to have the other one as.

Madboyo
05-20-2011, 09:21
Maybe Soaring Eagle should allow the deck to have two climb cards.

Oberst Hajj
05-20-2011, 09:48
A pilot with this skill flying a Siemens-Schuckert D.IV would have a climb rate of 0. Would he be able to climb 1 level per turn without playing a climb card?

The S-S would not benefit from this skill. In fact most pilots of planes with climb rate 2 would not really want to take it either. Just doing an Immelmann would raise you one altitude... which might be more of a hindrance then a bonus.

You could have your climb rate reduced by 1, and do the climb/immelman once every two or three turns.

I like the climb rate reduced by 1 but am stumped on what to have the other one as.

No way any level of the skill will improve your climb rate by 1 and allow you to do two climb maneuvers in a turn... no matter how many turns are in between using it. With that setup, a SPAD XIII could gain a full level in one turn... not going to happen! lol

Maybe Soaring Eagle should allow the deck to have two climb cards.

I think cutting any plane's climb rate in half is not very balanced. Granted, a plane with climb rate 2 could take the skill as I have it written up and half his climb rate, but not likely as it is not that great of an advantage to "waste" the ace skill on.

I kind of like the zoom climb idea... straight - climb - stall (opposite of the overdive) and you gain a second level on the stall maneuver.

mr7q
05-20-2011, 14:31
An ability that I don't think would be horribly unbalanced would be to allow the ace to choose the amount of climb tokens left on the plane immediately after a dive instead of automatically discarding all of them. That would open up a few maneuvers unavailable to those without the ability.

Oberst Hajj
05-20-2011, 21:52
mr7q, that sounds like a good possible option. Might even work for a different skill all together.

Hunter
05-21-2011, 03:52
An ability that I don't think would be horribly unbalanced would be to allow the ace to choose the amount of climb tokens left on the plane immediately after a dive instead of automatically discarding all of them. That would open up a few maneuvers unavailable to those without the ability.

Hey Colonel, I like mr7q's suggestion as well. Also, I like the zoom climb maneuver that you mentioned.

Where do I find the cost amounts for the Ace abilities? I have the Ace abilities list both level 1 & 2 but I can't find out how much they cost. I remember seeing that about a month or so ago, but I have a case of CRS!

Thanks.

Oberst Hajj
05-21-2011, 04:47
These are just tentative points costs... I may be adjusting them some still.

Acrobatic Pilot I
31 points
Active
The pilot can do an Immelmann turn without having to do the straight maneuver after it. The straight maneuver before it still has to be done. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Acrobatic Pilot II
+16 points
Active
The pilot can choose to replace the straight before or after an Immelmann with any none steep maneuver. The pilot still has to do the other required straight.

Daredevil I
27 points
Active
The pilot can perform two steep maneuvers in a row. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Daredevil II
+14 points
Active
The pilot can perform two steep maneuvers in a row. The player may use this skill once every turn.

Evasive Maneuvers I
23 points
Passive
The pilot cannot be tailed, unless the tailing pilot is also an Ace.

Evasive Maneuvers II
+12 points
Passive
When being shot at in consecutive turns, the pilot ignores the +1 damage rule.

Exceptional Pilot I
29 points
Passive
The pilot can add an extra copy of one card from his maneuver deck back into his deck.

Exceptional Pilot II
+15 points
Passive
The pilot can add an extra copy of two cards from his maneuver deck back into his deck.

Deadly Aim I
29 points
Active
The Ace can use the Aim bonus (+1 damage) even if he did not shoot at the plane in the previous phase. The player may use this skill once per turn.

Deadly Aim II
+15 points
Passive
The Ace can use the Aim bonus (+1 damage) even if he did not shoot at the plane in the previous phase. The player may use this skill twice per turn.

Dedicated Ground Crew I
32 points
Passive
The plane ignores the green jammed Special damage.

Dedicated Ground Crew II
+16 points
Passive
The plane ignores the green jammed Special damage and the first Engine damage that it takes.

Lucky Git I
30 points
Active
The pilot can ignore damage from a single card. The player must show the card to all other players. Shuffle the ignored card back into the community damage deck. An explosion card may not be ignored in this manner. The player may use this skill once per sortie.

Lucky Git II
+15 points
Active
The pilot can ignore damage from a single card. The player must show the card to all other players. Shuffle the ignored card back into the community damage deck. An explosion card may be ignored in this manner. The player may use this skill once per sortie.

Marksman I
31 points
Active
When the Ace fires at an enemy plane at long range, he draws one card from his ammunition deck and one card from the matching community damage deck, looks at them, and determines which card the enemy player keeps. At short range, the Ace draws one card from his ammunition deck and two cards from the community damage deck and determines which two cards the enemy player keeps. If the Ace draws any Jam special damage, his guns jam regardless of which cards he gives the enemy. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Marksman II
+16 points
Active
When the Ace fires at an enemy plane at long rang, he draws one card from his damage deck and two cards from the matching community damage deck, looks at them, and determines which card the enemy player keeps. At short range, the Ace draws one card from his ammunition deck and two cards from the community damage deck and determines which two cards the enemy player keeps. If the Ace draws any Jam special damage, his guns jam regardless of which cards he gives the enemy. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Quick Shot I
26 points
Passive
The Ace fires and resolves damage before pilots without Quick Shot. Planes shot down do not fire.

Quick Shot II
+13 points
Active
The Ace fires and resolves damage before the maneuvers in a phase are executed. The Ace does not fire again after maneuvering. Planes shot down do not maneuver or fire. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Technical Eye I
23 points
Active
The player can look at the damage cards of one aircraft in firing distance. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Technical Eye II
+12 points
Active
Same at Technical Eye I but can look at the damage cards of two aircraft in firing distance. The player may use this skill once every two turns.

Trench runner I
21 points
Passive
When attempting to evade capture, if the Ace draws a card with a Special damage symbol, he adds +1 to the number. If an explosion card is drawn, he treats it as a “0”.

Trench runner II
+ 11 points
Passive
When attempting to evade capture, the Ace draws four cards. If an explosion card is drawn, he treats it as a “0”.

costampede
05-21-2011, 09:12
I like Martins idea, I have disliked going to 0 counters when I drop fraltitude with counters on my plane.

Diamondback
05-21-2011, 14:40
I'll pitch in one, too:

House Flies: Once (per game or per # of turns?), you may discard a Crew Wounded token (pilot, observer, other on bombers). Representing a pilot who knows a bit about first-aid and can quickly patch himself up to a limited degree, name inspired by a recent episode of House, MD where our favorite cane-wielding curmudgeon performed surgery on himself.

Hunter
05-23-2011, 04:05
Thanks Colonel!!

I'll pitch in one, too:

House Flies: Once (per game or per # of turns?), you may discard a Crew Wounded token (pilot, observer, other on bombers). Representing a pilot who knows a bit about first-aid and can quickly patch himself up to a limited degree, name inspired by a recent episode of House, MD where our favorite cane-wielding curmudgeon performed surgery on himself.

Oh yeah, I likee that!

Oberst Hajj
05-23-2011, 07:00

I would throw in there that you can not shoot for 3 cards (same as jammed) and you can not do any steep maneuvers for a full turn as well.

Diamondback
05-23-2011, 16:52
Totally reasonable--if I'm gonna have to do needlepoint on myself I want things as steady as possible until I can get the bare minimum patch-job done... LOL

Hope I got a good wingman!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-24-2011, 00:46
In fact I'd say straight and level for three with no extra activity at all.
Rob.

Ginarley
05-24-2011, 01:38
Just an off the cuff idea but perhaps make the level II Soaring Eagle skill affect maximum altitude? Seems to fit with the name at least.

Hunter
05-24-2011, 18:45
In fact I'd say straight and level for three with no extra activity at all.
Rob.

This sounds reasdonable for doing self or observer surgery.