PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Rules & Systems?

Greywolf
11-07-2009, 16:22
Please direct me into the right area if this has been asked or answered. But what are the rules & systems used for doing a WoW tournament?

Just curious how a tournament would be run that's all. I could be in a position to run a tournament in NZ and also supply some prizes for it.

WWI Tournament Options:

a] the players must choose either Germans or Allied force. even number of players required. in effect you'd two teams Allied and the Central Empires. The winner would be decide with a battle between the top pilot of the Central Empires & the top pilot of the Allied forces.
or
b] field what ever they like if they end up playing Allied Vs Allied then its Training maneuvers. With this is doesn't need to have teams and would be more of "free for all". The winner would have the highest points by end of the last day.

Questions:
* How many planes are used?
* Are scenarios or campaigns used?
* How long would the time limit be for each game?

Point systems:
* to work out victors:
+1pt for shooting down an enemy
-1pt for one of your planes being shot down/leaving the field.
+2pts for completing mission.

Ace Bonus Points:
+1pt for total of 5 kills during the tournament.
+2pts for total 8 kills during the tournament. [awarded ace status]

just shoot me down if I am off target....[dam now where is that parachute]

Cheers
GW

Oberst Hajj
11-07-2009, 21:15
There are really not any set Tourny rules. KiwiAce has ran a few if I recall correctly, search his posts on here.

If you want to do a free for all, I would run a straight bracket elimination...

http://www.wvmat.com/brackets/bracket18.jpg

The Blue Baron
11-08-2009, 02:48
The problem with straight bracket elimination is that the tournement is over for half of the players after one round.
An other option is to do it "leage style". By this I mean that every player plays a set number of games. If you have little players everybody plays agaist everybody else. For each rounds you award point (e.g. 3 points if the opponent is shot down and one point for both players if no plane is shot down whem the timeout occures). In the end the player with the most points is the winner. If more than 1 player have the same points they have to play a final round.

Greywolf
11-08-2009, 03:15
The problem with straight bracket elimination is that the tournement is over for half of the players after one round.
An other option is to do it "leage style". By this I mean that every player plays a set number of games. If you have little players everybody plays agaist everybody else. For each rounds you award point (e.g. 3 points if the opponent is shot down and one point for both players if no plane is shot down whem the timeout occures). In the end the player with the most points is the winner. If more than 1 player have the same points they have to play a final round.

I'm not a fan of the "knock out" type tournaments. I prefer League style where you get to play X number of players and score points etc...

Seems more fair way of doing it. Just need to figure out away to use that option with WoW....

Cheers
GW

The Blue Baron
11-08-2009, 03:26
Another Idea I had was to play one big game with two sides and a time limit. For every plane a player shoots down he gets a certain amount of point. If he is shot down he looses point and may respawn. In the end the player with the most points wins.

If you have another idea make sure to share it with us!

Galland
06-28-2010, 09:44
wath about a cuadrangular with teams?
I was thinking in 4 teams of 3 players with 3 matches for team..

Galland
06-28-2010, 09:44
wath about a cuadrangular with teams?
I was thinking in 4 teams of 3 players with 3 matches for team..

WilliamBarkerVC
06-28-2010, 10:05
Knock out style is ok if the knocked out players go to a consolation - winners keep playing winners; losers keep playing losers - the prizes have to keep everyone interested at all levels. I suppose this is more like a Modifed Swiss style.