PDA

View Full Version : Valley Patrol mission: Furball over the trenches

Albert Ross
05-19-2011, 21:07
I took the game over to a friend's place for an evening's fun & fury. We had played once before, and the wives beat us so it was time for revenge! This time we used simplified altitude rules which added an extra tactical element to the game and and removed most of those suicidal head to head firing passes.
I selected a Dr I while my friend drew an Albatross, while over in No-Man's -Land, our opponents put up a Camel and SE5a

On the second turn, my Nemesis got in a lucky long range shot, which fortunately did little damage, and although she clung to my tail, I used the Fokker's ability to turn tighter and stay out of trouble. All four planes converged near the center of the map, with my friend Adam and I both set up for close range shots, only to have both our guns jam at the same time! We broke away, but to my horror I saw my Nemesis in the Camel heading straight for me at the same altitude; we both took evasive action (cut the damage deck), but both went the same way (drew the same numbers), and were badly damaged in the collision. As she broke free, Adam got off a telling burst and the Camel was seen to explode in mid-air

The remaining allied plane came screaming in to avenge her fallen comrade but made the mistake of trying to turn inside the more maneuverable German aircraft. We traded bursts of MG fire at close range and then Adam got into a tailing position. Incredibly, the SE5a seemed to shrug off the damage and shake of her pursuer, but only to come into my sights. I flew alongside this gallant pilot, who appeared to be wounded and motioned for her to land and concede the fight, but like a wildcat, she pulled an Immelmann turn and came right back to the unequal fight! Brave but reckless, it was soon over as Adam closed in to finish off his second victim of the day. Not bad at all for a rookie pilot!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-20-2011, 00:11
A very nice after action report, but a very bad day for the Allied cause. Come on chaps, let's have some good news from the front. Please submit your after action reports to my office.
Kyte.