PDA

View Full Version : "The Big Show"

Bartman
05-12-2011, 18:20
...or "Le Grande Cirque".

Doing some research about this book. I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon and of course I always like to read some negative views as well as the glowing ones.

Having never heard of this man before I was nevertheless very interested in his story.

No one who reviewed the book denied it was an entertaining read, and that alone makes me feel I will probably pick it up, but the following two reviews were...interesting?

This first one was very skeptical of Mr. Clostermann's own account of his exploits.

This book is a page turner. It's amazingly exciting and you will feel like you're into the cockpit of Spitfires and, later, Tempests. But some strong issues arise...

First of all, the number of victories by Clostermann. He says he had 33. RAF official claims put him with "only" eleven! A great, very GREAT discrepancy;

Second, a lot of facts are simply untrue. He says, about Walter Nowotny's death, that the German ace was a long foe of him. Goosh, ALL of Nowotny's victories were obtained on the Eastern Front, save one or two pairs, while he was flying an experimental Me-262 unit in Western Europe! Also, he said that a pilot of his Wing shot down Nowotny, when it was Mustangs.

This new hard cover version is definitive, and Clostermann himself confess that he made a lot of mistakes, saying that he did not have the means of research to be totally correct at the time. He also attributes the problem concerning number of kills to the fact that he served in a lot of squadrons in just three months (3, 56 and 274). Strangely mising even in this new edition, was the mission when he was shot down into the Channel.

It seems that, after losing Mouchotte and adding this to some previous discipline problems, the mood in 341 Alsace Squadron became very bad for Clostermann and that was the reason they sent him to 602.

Also, there are some strange tales that Clostermann's ego was enormous and some strange tales of him filling claims when he had not even fired his guns.

Anyway, Clostermann passed away in 2006 and his memoirs remain an unforgettable treasure of war literature.

This one was even less friendly and accuses Clostermann of being Anti-American; Downplaying US efforts and disparaging their involvement.

Mr. Closterman writes an excellent book about his time in the RAF and the many air battles his was a part of. I found his book to be very entertaining and a real page turner. I respect Mr. Clostermans service to the French people via the RAF and his bravery under fire! Having said that the Patriotic American in me really got angry as I read his constant bashing of the American airmen who fought the same enemy, many who did not get to return home as Mr. Closterman did. As I read it Mr. Closterman seemed to give the impression the American Airmen were just in the way and would have served the war effort better keeping thier planes on the ground. As I read the many insults he writes about my fellow Americans who died helping to Liberate his country I could not help but recount the many times I have read how his own countrymen threw down thier weapons and ran from the German Army! What I read was not your typical friendly friction between services that always exist but outrite hatred and complete disrespect. I actually got the impression he respected the German enemy more than his allies who fought along side him. I truly cannot remember reading a single sentence of kind words where the U.S.A was concerned. I could say much more but what is the use, Mr. Closterman is just a racist French biggot who needs to visit one of the many cemetaries that are full of AMERICAN servicemen who died liberating his country! NUF SAID

Whoa!

Has anyone here rad this book? Or know much about Pierre Clostermann? Do these reviews have merit on either account?

Doug
05-12-2011, 19:19
Having read an autobiograph by the author in the 1970's my memory is a bit vague, but I found the book to be a excellent read, I do not agree with the review comments, lets just say Pierre Clostermann was a typical Frenchman with a French interpratation of events. Do the reviews have merit on either aacount, No.

Dan-Sam
05-12-2011, 22:40
I read "Le Grande Cirque" several years ago. It is a good in one way - you can see the airwar by eyes of fighter pilot. You just start read and can not stop until you are on the end. I am not sure with the numbers, but there is an important thing in his stats - not just shooted planes, but (and I think this is fully comparable) 72 destroyed locomotives too. I think this is a very interesting number - mission agains train was not easy and 72 destroyed steam engines, there is a big thing.
Do not look on Pierre Clostermann like on British or evan American - all Frenchmen need to retrieve their honor after loosing Battle of France. Their reasons was just a little different then "defending country".
Read that book - I am sure you will be fully satisfied ;)

Bartman
05-13-2011, 04:49
Yes, I will still probably pick up this book as soon as I am able.

It would upset me though to read thinly veiled insults to my country (as I'm sure it would anyone). Especially if the insults came from a man who may have inflated his own contribution (not saying he did, but it has been suggested).

Love to hear from any U.S. readers on this to see if they had the same impressions as the reviewers.

Dan-Sam
05-13-2011, 05:38
I do not think that insultation of USA is so strong in the book. Author was just from defeated country, which one part of it was full o collaborates. He had quiet different point of view on the war. Hard era, hard words. But all of countries had only one aim - defeat the Axis. Thank God for every man who help to this aim. French, American, Russian and other.

David Manley
05-13-2011, 09:25
It would upset me though to read thinly veiled insults to my country

Imagine how the French feel about things - those of a military literary persuasion see this kind of thing all the time (and not very thinly veiled in many cases).

Bartman
05-13-2011, 17:39
Hear! Hear! Daniel

Well said.

Imagine how the French feel about things - those of a military literary persuasion see this kind of thing all the time (and not very thinly veiled in many cases).

Exactly David. It certainly would not feel good. Like I said, no one wants to hear his country being disparaged. From the smallest nation, to the world super powers.

I will pick this book up, and make my own decisions. I have a little goose-down on my back, I'm sure any insults will fall right off.