PDA

View Full Version : Site: Origins Press Release

Oberst Hajj
05-11-2011, 18:27
May 11, 2011

Contact Information: Ken Head, Tel: 614-359-5512, E-mail: cowman2697@gmail.com

OHIO CLUB SEEKS TO SET WORLD BOARD GAME RECORD AT ORIGINS 2011

Gaming Group Plans Massive Tabletop WWI Dogfight with Popular "Wings of War" Miniatures Game

COLUMBUS, OHIO (May 11, 2011): An intrepid group of Ohio board game enthusiasts seeks to set a unique world record Saturday, June 25 at the Origins Games Fair in Columbus, Ohio — the largest number of players for a single board game, recreating a spectacular World War I aerial battle on the tabletop with more than 100 participants expected.

The Buckeye Gamers in Flight—a historical aviation gaming club—will be staging the epic air combat in miniature using the popular "Wings of War" board game, a fast-paced, easy-to-learn game that recreates the daring duels in the skies of World War I with beautifully painted, historically accurate aircraft miniatures fully painted and ready to play out of the box. Using a simple card-based maneuver system, players will try to outguess and out fly their opponents as they try to guess each other's moves and line up the shots that will make them the "Ace of Aces!"

The Game is open to up to 140 players who will all participate at the same time, playing to defeat each other in mock aerial combat until only one pilot remains! All interested participants ages 10 to adult are welcome, and no experience is needed — the game is simple to learn and rules will be taught to new players prior to the start of the event. Prizes will be awarded to the top players by the Wings of War Aerodrome. For additional information, visit the Wings of War Aerodrome site at http://www.wingsofwar.org or contact Ken Head at cowman2697@gmail.com.

Members of the Buckeye Gamers in Flight will be running a total of 26 separate events at the Origins Games Fair which runs from June 22nd to June 26th at the Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio. Information on the Origins Games Fair can be found at http://www.originsgamefair.com . A List of the BGIF events can be found at Buckeye Gamers in Flight - Origins 2011 Wings of War Event List (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao7qvkmYPmqrdGY3Q1d2NUVCUlBnbmk2UGZnaG4wbGc&hl=en&authkey=CNL9i8IK#gid=0) on Google.

We sincerely hope to see many of you there. Please join us for an awesome time and help us set a new record!

CappyTom
05-11-2011, 18:55
The stage is set. Let the record fall. Ken your the man.

Tom

The Cowman
05-11-2011, 20:17
Just wanted to say thanks to Wolfbiter for writing the press release for us! He wanted me to pass on that he has been away for the last four months due to illness, but hopes to return soon!

Skullduggery
05-11-2011, 21:56
It looks like I'll get to do Saturday at Origins ! ::crosses fingers::

Hunter
05-12-2011, 03:35
Here's to wishing you 'Buckeyes' a fun and successful event at your 'Origins 2011'. Good luck with the planning and gaming aspects. Now BREAK THAT RECORD!!! I like to be there as it sure sounds fun.

Sheryl Nantus
05-12-2011, 05:25
w00t!

*does happy Snoopy dance*

The Cowman
05-12-2011, 06:51
It looks like I'll get to do Saturday at Origins ! ::crosses fingers::

Sweet!!

Bluedevil
05-12-2011, 07:20
Way to go Ken ! :thumbsup: ;)

costampede
05-12-2011, 10:14
Wish I could make it, sounds like alot of fun.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-12-2011, 11:57
Really sorry that I won't be at this one myself. It sounds like the games days of the century.
Rob.

Etairos
05-12-2011, 20:16
That just happens to be the day I plan on being there with Skullduggery, I might be able to sit in depending on the time.

The Cowman
05-12-2011, 20:47
Hope to see you there Matt. In fact I am hoping to see a lot of the Ohio members... and members from the surrounding states and of course Canada! There is even that fellow from Colorado that I look forward to having a beer with! Have not heard much from the Dayton guys in a bit... I think they are all hiding! ;)

You guys should take a second to check out the Event Page I put up for the Record Event on the Origin's Games Fair Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_2346853574#!/event.php?eid=166043533455606). Notice the number of folks "attending" and "maybe attending".... this is after only 2 days... with 1700 invitees still having not responded... I am getting really stoked about this!

Skullduggery
05-12-2011, 22:10
That just happens to be the day I plan on being there with Skullduggery, I might be able to sit in depending on the time.
It looks like a one day pass is $35 Matt. This lets you participate in events. I don't know the cost of a weekend badge with the club discount is though. The other option is the $5 dealer room thing where you do not get to play registered events.

The Cowman
05-12-2011, 22:37
It looks like a one day pass is $35 Matt. This lets you participate in events. I don't know the cost of a weekend badge with the club discount is though. The other option is the $5 dealer room thing where you do not get to play registered events.

I was kind of hoping they would allow me to run the world record event and have it open to visitors... as a draw... but that is asking them to give up $560 in potential event fees for a single 4 hour event... so no surprises that they did not. (And I am thinking it has a good chance of filling up even without that now!)

Well the downer is that the club badge is only for the 4 day badge, and is $35... so if you are only coming for one day then it is not going to help ya... The $5 dealer room thing is the way to go for sure if you are not planning on playing in any ticketed events. (You can still play in demos and open gaming)

Keep in mind that I have a 24 person tournament scheduled at 5 PM on Saturday as well... and Keith has a Zeppelin event going Friday and Saturday...I will get the details on the tourney up tomorrow sometime after my phys therapy appointment... gotta get some sleep for now... or try! ;)

The Cowman
05-13-2011, 22:23
I love how the word is spreading! :D http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3829 :D :clap:

Oberst Hajj
05-13-2011, 22:30
Yes it is! I had an email from Richard Bliss, the guy that set the current record, today. He was excited about it and is checking his schedule to see if he can make it.

Doug
05-14-2011, 03:54
Would love to be part of the game, but I wish you all the best of luck and hope you get the numbers!

CappyTom
05-14-2011, 04:16
I love how the word is spreading! :D http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3829 :D :clap:

I bet Nexus might even give us each a new plane:thumbsup: or something if we pull this off. Or maybe send our group to Europe to do a multicultural aerial combat:guns:. Who Knows we might be famous:drunk:. :o

Tom

Etairos
05-14-2011, 07:54
I'm going to see today if I can post this release at my local game store today to help generate some interest for those who may already be attending.

The Cowman
05-14-2011, 14:06
I bet Nexus might even give us each a new plane:thumbsup: or something if we pull this off. Or maybe send our group to Europe to do a multicultural aerial combat:guns:. Who Knows we might be famous:drunk:. :o

Tom

I am not sure Nexus has any planes to give out right now! :lol:

Yes it is! I had an email from Richard Bliss, the guy that set the current record, today. He was excited about it and is checking his schedule to see if he can make it.

That would be SWEET! :clap:

I'm going to see today if I can post this release at my local game store today to help generate some interest for those who may already be attending.

Thanks Matt! That would be awesome! :thumbsup:

CappyTom
05-14-2011, 14:55
Do we have a flier that we can put up locally? That will be the same as the one we have at Origins.

Tom

Oberst Hajj
05-14-2011, 18:41
Working on the flyers for you guys.

The Cowman
05-14-2011, 19:15
Keith is the Man!

tuladin
05-15-2011, 23:06
Looks like I'll be riding down there Saturday with Skullduggery (Thanks again, Brian). Can't wait to meet you folks!

CappyTom
05-16-2011, 02:23
Looks like I'll be riding down there Saturday with Skullduggery (Thanks again, Brian). Can't wait to meet you folks!

That is good news. Looking forward to seeing you both.

Tom

Oberst Hajj
05-16-2011, 05:27
The Flyer can be downloaded here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=811)! Thanks to Alan for the layout!

grumpybear
05-16-2011, 15:54
Would love to attend, but cannot. Good luck

The Cowman
05-16-2011, 16:09
The Flyer can be downloaded here (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=811)! Thanks to Alan for the layout!

Looks awesome! I am going to have to come up with one that we can use inside the Con with a list of our events on the bottom, and enlarged as a Tabletop sign for our three tables... Also gonna look into business cards... anyone have a suggestion for a good deal ??

Oberst Hajj
05-16-2011, 18:57
Ken, write up the signs you need and I'll get Alan to lay them out for us. I just want to give him text that he can cut and paste... I try to lessen his work load as much as possible. It's the least I can do since I have him working on about 20 projects. lol

The Cowman
05-16-2011, 20:03
Ken, write up the signs you need and I'll get Alan to lay them out for us. I just want to give him text that he can cut and paste... I try to lessen his work load as much as possible. It's the least I can do since I have him working on about 20 projects. lol

Will do! Tonight Alan gets to be the man! LOL

flash
05-20-2011, 11:10
good luck with this chaps - hope you nail it !

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 11:19
Just an update: Most of our events are slowly filling up, and from the response we are getting on Facebook, I predict that the World Record attempt will come close to selling out!

I should have that flyer text by tomorrow night Keith.

Sheryl Nantus
05-25-2011, 11:23
Already got my ticket for the WR on Saturday - and a bucket of tokens for the rest of the convention!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-25-2011, 11:40
Great news Ken. I knew you would pull off another coup.:thumbsup:
Rob.

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 14:51
I'm so excited and can't wait. Look what came today.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13883&d=1306359817

Three Val's one Hurricane and now the other Balloon set.:clap:
My wife said is this your blood money:eek2: and I said yep:o

Tom

tuladin
05-25-2011, 15:30
Nice! I can't wait to shoot it all down. :D:D:D

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 15:40
Nice! I can't wait to shoot it all down. :D:D:D

You got me last week but next time I'll have your number buddy.;)

Tom

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 15:55
Great news Ken. I knew you would pull off another coup.:thumbsup:
Rob.

Uh Oh.... I am having a hard time remembering what my first coup was... gonna have to lay off the meds for a while I guess...

I'm so excited and can't wait. Look what came today.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13883&d=1306359817

Three Val's one Hurricane and now the other Balloon set.:clap:
My wife said is this your blood money:eek2: and I said yep:o

Tom

Three Vals, one Hurricane, one Balloon Set, and what appears to be one of your dirty socks on the floor... please do not bring the latter to Origins with you Tom. ;)

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 16:16
Ken you didn't even mention my hairy knee. I'm hurt...

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 16:23
Crud... now I am going to have nightmares tonight...

Ken you didn't even mention my hairy knee. I'm hurt...

(I thought it was the arm of a really old and furry sofa...)

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 17:04
Crud... now I am going to have nightmares tonight...

(I thought it was the arm of a really old and furry sofa...)

You kill me...and that sock is only partly dirty...

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 17:43
You kill me...and that sock is only partly dirty...

Egads man!!! I can smell it all the way down here in Baltimore....

No... Wait... That is the paper mill... never mind, sorry! ;)

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 17:54
Egads man!!! I can smell it all the way down here in Baltimore....

No... Wait... That is the paper mill... never mind, sorry! ;)

My wife just saw the photo:eek2::lol: and is laughing her a%$# off. I'll get you Ken:guns:

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 18:48
My wife just saw the photo:eek2::lol: and is laughing her a%$# off. I'll get you Ken:guns:

Is she laughing because of the furry sofa arm, or the fact that your socks smell like the sulfury exhaust from a paper mill?

(I think this last part of the thread needs to get split off in to the Officer's Club Forum... LOL, we are taking away from our very important World Record subject! I blame it all on you Tom... you and your hairy knees and dirty laundry!!!)

kaufschtick
05-25-2011, 19:11
LOL! :clap:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-26-2011, 00:04
i'm not laughing. I had two parcels delivered yesterday while I was out, so they took them away again to the mail depot, despite my standing instructions to leave them with any of my neighbours on the close where I live.:(
Rob.

The Cowman
05-26-2011, 00:10
i'm not laughing. I had two parcels delivered yesterday while I was out, so they took them away again to the mail depot, despite my standing instructions to leave them with any of my neighbours on the close where I live.:(
Rob.

Grrrrrrr. I hate it when they do that! Especially when the little note they stick on your door gets blown away and three weks later you go looking for your package only to find out it was at the post office the whole time!!!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-26-2011, 00:26
Grrrrrrr. I hate it when they do that! Especially when the little note they stick on your door gets blown away and three weks later you go looking for your package only to find out it was at the post office the whole time!!!

Or don't leave a note at all. This has happened to me a few times Ken.
I'm off to the sorting office in a few minutes time to get my little planes back,
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
05-26-2011, 00:33
I had this same thing happen to some little planes of mine this week!

CappyTom
05-26-2011, 01:49
I only have this problem with Fed-ex, the post office and UPS just leave them on the porch. But it's a small town and we know the mailman and the UPS driver so they don't mind bending the rules.

Tom

Flying Officer Kyte
05-26-2011, 07:39
My Postman has been known to stop me as we drive away from the Close if he thinks he has an important package, but the parcel post never leaves it. The ones I picked up today, had the alternate address all over the front, but no joy. This is the third visit in two weeks. I am thinking of getting a season ticket for the delivery depot.
Rob.

Hunter
05-26-2011, 21:45

Tom

You're already famous in my book CT!!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-27-2011, 01:39
You're already famous in my book CT!!

Is your book a stamp album perchance Terry?:lol:
Rob.

CappyTom
06-02-2011, 19:40
Look what else came today...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14073&d=1307068544
And
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14072&d=1307068514

Can't wait to get them painted and decals on:clap:. I'm going it try and make it down to Columbus so Ken can coach me in the painting process. Can't wait for a week of gaming:thumbsup:

Tom

Skullduggery
06-02-2011, 21:22

And

Can't wait to get them painted and decals on:clap:. I'm going it try and make it down to Columbus so Ken can coach me in the painting process. Can't wait for a week of gaming:thumbsup:

Tom

Nice ! I can't wait to see them painted up.

Stormkahn
06-02-2011, 23:15
Tom, are those his decals I see underneath as well? Let us know how you get on with them?

cheers,

Dave.

Flying Officer Kyte
06-03-2011, 00:13
Well that will keep you out of mischief for a day or two then Tom. I look forward to seeing the finished results.
Rob.

Jager
06-03-2011, 15:19
Are those AiM minis?
Karl

And

Tom

CappyTom
06-03-2011, 19:10
Tom, are those his decals I see underneath as well? Let us know how you get on with them?

cheers,

Dave.

Yes, one sheet will do 4 planes. So I bought four of each and one set of decals for each. Total with shipping was $46.00.

"Are those AiM minis?"
Karl

Yes and I must say they look great. I only hope I do them justice with my painting job. I'm pretty good with decals.
Tom

Stormkahn
06-03-2011, 22:47
Cheers Tom, post some piccies when you can. I really don't remember the Avenger having a notch in the tail ;)

Hunter
06-04-2011, 00:12
:lol::lol:
Is your book a stamp album perchance Terry?:lol:
Rob.

What? Are you calling me a philatilist?:lol::guns:

Flying Officer Kyte
06-04-2011, 00:38
:lol::lol:

What? Are you calling me a philatilist?:lol::guns:

Just remember Terry, philately will get you nowhere.:clap:
Rob.

CappyTom
06-04-2011, 02:37
Cheers Tom, post some piccies when you can. I really don't remember the Avenger having a notch in the tail ;)

That's after a Zero shot part of it away.