PDA

View Full Version : WGFM: Early German Aces of World War I (Osprey)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-25-2011, 06:16
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Early German Aces of World War I. Author:
Greg Wyngarden. ISBN:
978-1-84176-997-4 Category:
History Format:
Paperback Summary:
Another of the ubiquitous Osprey Aircraft of the Aces series. This one gives a good understanding of the early war, and with the forthcoming release of Nexus' early aircraft models will stand reading. The interminable lists of unknown pilots is not so evident in this volume, as the author takes several of the better known Aces and follows them through the development of the aircraft they flew. This also helps to expand the biography of each pilot more than past books in the series have tended to do. I only found myself going to sleep in a couple of places in this book, and that may be more down to me than a criticism of the work under review. All in all a good read, even if you only like the pictures.
Rob.

MayorJim
05-07-2011, 19:11
Rob...thanks for reviewing this one. I generally like the various Osprey booklets; but they always make me want more info. For brief coverage of a topic though, they're pretty good (if pricey)...

Flying Officer Kyte
05-10-2011, 05:31
Jim. I get most of mine from the Book Depository(no not that one) They are usually about half the price of buying direct from Osprey.
Rob.

Hunter
05-14-2011, 07:54
Thank you for the review, as stated by another, this review is very timely!

KirkH
01-31-2013, 18:33
I liked this one more than the usual "Aces" books because it concentrates on a time period and not a specific aircraft. That way the text just seems to flow better than the usual Aces books that almost seem written to a formula. Don't get me wrong, I like all the Aces books, but apart from the pictuure on the cover they have a tendency to be very much the same.

7eat51
02-01-2013, 12:04
I will have to check this out. I am currently playing with the early planes from WGF series 5. Thanks for the review.