PDA

View Full Version : First look - Skytrex Short Bomber

Guntruck
04-17-2011, 02:35
I picked up the Short Bomber yesterday at Salute and tipped out the contents of the box this morning.

Usual array of bits - metal struts, fin etc, resin fuselage and a set of wings Hugo Junkers would be proud of! The wing ribbing is not so pronounced as on the 0/400, but would still benefit from a sanding down. Other than that looks like a fairly straightforward kit to put together.

Comparing it against scale plans it is slightly too long in the fuselage. The top wing length is about right if a little too wide, but the lower wing is more of a problem. As far as i can ascertain, the lower wing should have rounded tips, whereas the kit has straight edged tips as found on the Short 184. If anyone has proof that some Short Bombers had straight tips I'd be grateful, otherwise the lower wing needs to be scratch-built as it is too short to just round off the tips. Which means scratch-building the top wing so they both match.......:(

I had a word with the Skytrex chaps about the way they make the wings of the bombers. This is done by using a plasticard blank shaped to the profile of the wing, then gluing plastic rod on for the ribs and blending them in with Miliput. I suggested that at 1/144 scale this produces an overscale effect that looks wrong, and at this scale it might be better to scribe the detail on instead, or at least use a much thinner piece of plastic rod for the ribs. I am assuming they use the same process for the fighter wings, which do no look too bad, so thinner gauge rod would improve the appearance of the 'heavies'. They were going to have a word with their designer to see what he thinks.

batesyboy
04-17-2011, 03:07
Got to be honest,
I was less than impressed with most of their stuff...bought a few to have a closer look...
Brisfit, DH2 and Pup
It amazes me that `Wingco Rob` has made such a good job of these
`Scribed Plasticcard` would make much better wings, the rib are wonky, need rubbing off and starting again
There`s a big old hole in the market there, as there were three groups flying ww1 wings of war
and a couple flying the ww2 counterpart

Linz
04-17-2011, 03:08
Looking forward to seeing it assembled. Tempted to scratch build one.
Linz

batesyboy
04-17-2011, 03:24
The fuselage looks ok, even if wrong in dimensions, the wings are dire !
I think a scratchbuild is the way to go Linz !

Linz
04-17-2011, 03:50
I've had the plans for a while. Just havn't bothered with it not having any stats for wow. Guess with it on the market someone will have to work the stats out.
Might be a competition on hows turns out the best. Lee you game to try a card model of it?
Linz

batesyboy
04-17-2011, 04:02
Hey Linz,
DH2 on the table...(yes i know nexus have one imminent)
to be followed by the venerable old Vickers FB5...
Got a couple of Fe2b`s to do after that !
The early war stuff seems to be very popular...
The Short bomber will be at least three weeks away !

Linz
04-17-2011, 04:19
Don't forget that rear strut on the DH2.
I've already scratch built the DH2 and Fe2b. Might have to give the Vickers FB5 a go also the BE2 might try a Farman F40 a DH5 and a Dolphin as well. We have south con start of June want to make another Gotha GIV by then as well so some will have to go on back burner. Well guess I've better get making some.
Linz

Bluedevil
04-17-2011, 04:44
If you ever get to build a Farman F40 I want to see how you take it on.. I am planning to have a go at one myself but there's so little reference material to be found. There's a Romanian chap who's supposed to have written a booklet about the F40 with usable drawings in it but I can't find it anywhere to buy it.
I would go for plastic sheet for the wings and plastic rod for the booms and perhaps milliput for the fuselage.
As far as painting the model goes: the Belgians had some interesting idea's about how a F40 should be painted -cfr "The Belgian Air Service in WWI by W. Pieters and the following link :

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Belgian_Aviation_History/BAFAircraft/Bafallaircraft_1910_1918.htm

I'd be very glad to hear from other sources concerning the Farman F40 ;)

Linz
04-17-2011, 05:17
I'll see if I can do it with step by step photos.
Just finishes a Voisin 5 can't be much harder.
Just want on net for Plans got them by putting in Google Farman F40 Images Then did search for stats and got that as well. Will start next week some time.
Linz

batesyboy
04-17-2011, 09:16
Well that`s the deaitchtoo sorted....
Now the Gunby...

Baldrick62
04-17-2011, 16:44
Steve, thanks for the review, and good luck with the corrective surgery.

Guntruck
04-18-2011, 01:24
Balders, I think it is more of a case of transplant surgery.....:(