PDA

View Full Version : New aircraft What manoeuvring Decks to use ?

Redwolf
04-16-2011, 16:34
I was wanting to build and add in some aircraft which are not listed in any of the series for WWII wow i.e. the U.S. Lightening. I have read the interview with the designer which helps working out the damage counters/cards etc but it is unclear on how to work out what decks to manoeuvre decks to use is there any way to work out this so i can add in other aircraft that are not listed in wow bought decks ???

any help here welcome

richard m schwab
04-17-2011, 09:04
Steven!

Check out the files section for custom cards submitted by members, you will find dozens of cards for planes not listed in the official releases!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=423
Rich

green dragon
04-17-2011, 12:17
The problem I ran into is that the maneuver decks in print are far too slow for most aircraft in use after 1942. I also wanted to fly lightnings and FW190s and the like, but the existing decks would not show any advantage these planes would have over their predecessors. So, I have been making my own card decks for faster aircraft. What I have done, using Photoshop, is to make larger versions of the cards. I am currently using standard playing cards, though eventually even these will prove too small. I broke down the speed of the aircraft using the length of the straight in the A deck, matched with the most agreed upon speed of the Spitfire I. This gave me a length of 1/8"=17.283 mph. This lets me know how long the line needs to be for a plane that maxes out at about 414mph (the P-38F and J). I use this to give me the length of the fast line. I have been able to locate cruise speeds for most planes, so I use this for the slow speed line. I am able to vary the length of the line using photoshop. I then print the cards out on label paper, and stick them to standard playing cards. The result is some really fast aircraft that will blow away the earlier models of Me109s and Spitfire Is. I've even developed a snap roll card for the Focke Wulf and Mustangs to give them a maneuver advantage. Also, I print two climb or dive cards for planes that performed better in these areas, to reflect the increased power.

richard m schwab
04-17-2011, 15:05
Kevin!

That is one approach, but keep in mind the the basic game concept. Forget the speed differences between early and late planes, the maneuver decks can be used in either one. We have played late war using Max Headrooms custom cards without any problems, and his cards use the exiting decks. The only adjustment was to the ME-262, we played those with a simple change. Max used the G deck for his 262, this worked great. The 262 could travel at slow speed then fast speed, if another turn of fast speed was used the player moved an additional slow speed each turn. It may not sound like much, but one 262 player was talking during the briefing for his plane. I asked him if he understood the special movement rules for his plane, his answer was yes. Three turns into the game he is complaining about how slow his plane is and why the other 262 pilot has left him and the other German planes behind.
Give this approach a try!

Rich

Stormkahn
04-17-2011, 23:16
The other thing you want to consider is that the WW1 decks are banded so a straight conversion into distance possibly won't quite do it. In Europe we also work in the metric system which may give you better approximations when spotting design paterns.

I went with a slightly different approach and came up with a card to extend the standard card length.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=786

It works great for straight lines, not so accurate for curves at higher speeds.

Do whatever you want but have fun!

cheers,

Dave.

Redwolf
04-22-2011, 15:39
guys this is very helpful thank you all

so am I right that the general opinion is to sue the standard card decks ? if so how would you determine what deck to assign to the Gloster Meteor for example if I decided to do a scenario of protecting London from the buzz bombs over London ? if I can work this out there would be no end of missions that could be created fro different aircraft.

again thanks for all help so far

Charlie3
04-22-2011, 16:02
guys this is very helpful thank you all

so am I right that the general opinion is to sue the standard card decks ? if so how would you determine what deck to assign to the Gloster Meteor for example if I decided to do a scenario of protecting London from the buzz bombs over London ? if I can work this out there would be no end of missions that could be created fro different aircraft.

again thanks for all help so farWell Redwolf here is a card from Maxheadroom's albums on his profile page see if it works for you http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=423&attachmentid=8854...You can always use it as a starting point and make adjustments if you think you need to. He has quite an extensive list of aircraft that he has made cards for that you might want to check out.

Max Headroom
04-25-2011, 15:26
Stormkahn's correct... The rule of thumb I use is if an aircraft's max speed is over 600kph, the card is increased to 72mm high rather than th estandard 68mm
If it goes quicker than 800kmh the card is extended to 80mm high.