Warhorse47
04-14-2011, 12:30
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Fighting the Flying Circus Author:
Eddie Rickenbacker ISBN:
1919 copyright Category:
Biography Format:
Paperback and Hardback Summary:
A wonderful narrative of the AEF in World War I. "Captain Eddie" takes you from his first flight over enemy lines, guarded by Major Raoul Lufbery, through his combats of the Great War. Written in 1919, this is a timeless viewpoint of the war as written by the United States' greatest Ace. Find it in either paperback or hardback. My copy was published by Time Life Books as part of their Wings of War series.

tuladin
04-14-2011, 12:39
It's one of my favorites too. You can read it free online at Fighting the Flying Circus. (http://www.richthofen.com/rickenbacker/)

MayorJim
05-07-2011, 19:12
Larry, thanks for the link...

Hunter
05-13-2011, 23:51
Thank you both for the review and the link.

Lloydthegamer
08-23-2012, 12:18
I read this just recently and felt like I had been transported back to 1918. What a great book. Lloyd

andron234
11-14-2018, 16:36
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Fighting the Flying Circus Author:
Eddie Rickenbacker ISBN:
1919 copyright Category:
Biography Format:
Paperback and Hardback Summary:
A wonderful narrative of the AEF in World War I. "Captain Eddie" takes you from his first flight over enemy lines, guarded by Major Raoul Lufbery, through his combats of the Great War. Written in 1919, this is a timeless viewpoint of the war as written by the United States' greatest Ace. Find it in either paperback or hardback. My copy was published by Time Life Books as part of their Wings of War series.

Yes it's a wonderful book, Eddie Rickenbacker one of WW1 most famous aviators in history a true hero, awarded America's highest and most prestigious decoration, the "Medal of Honor" puts pen to paper in a the most truthful account of a pilot and his victories and failures, I have ever read,
From the first moment Eddie takes to the skies in his Nieuport 28 flying with his comrades of the 94th Aero "Hat in the Ring" Squadron, Eddie take us on an unparalleled journey fighting the "Hun" but this isn't a book that just "papers over the cracks", we get a "Warts and All" first hand recollection of a series of heart-breaking tragedies that befell his fellow pilots,
Read about the tragic loss of Quentin Roosevelt (the youngest son of President Roosevelt) and the daring exploits of Medal of Honor recipient Frank Luke, Jr. (the Balloon Buster), but most of all follow Eddie as he demonstrates courage and skill, learn how he a "Borrows" a Spad XIII without permission, read how he becomes the commander of the 94th, and faces life and death decisions,
His skill in the air and his record of 26 victories (American record until World War II) and the 300+ combat hour will remain in your memory for a long time, in this truly fascinating read, Like Kevin I highly recommend that you get a copy today.