PDA

View Full Version : Site: Leaderboard or Rankings

Oberst Hajj
04-02-2011, 01:20
I have been giving some thought to adding a Leaderboard or Rankings page to the site. This page would track different aspects of the games each of us play and assign a value to them. It would add up all the values and give each member an overall rating. It would allow a some what statistical comparison between all of or players.

A few things that we would need to work out would be what stats we want to track and what points values they should be.

The other big issue is if the entries should be verified or not? This could be as simple as having two members of the site confirm each others results, or would could some how use the Flight Leaders for this.

Thoughts?

Jager
04-02-2011, 03:32
An interesting thought, but I think that such a tabulation would not fit with the culture of the Aerodrome that you, and we, have created. I like the rankings and statistics generated by the members contributions to the forum, but tracking our off-site playing records don't really contribute to this. Also, it would highlight the differences not currently apparent: for instance, those who play in a club weekly would have much more data that those who don't or can't. I would rather not see a level of competition that this might generate go beyond the camaraderie we enjoy.
Maybe I'm a worry-wort, but I'm far more interested in reading about a new (to me, maybe) modeling technique or some historical factoid I didn't know than how many kills someone got this month.
M2C Karl

Bluedevil
04-02-2011, 03:37
I think Karl has a point... it would be different if it was a leaderboard dedicated to a certain campaign, to see who's doing well and who's "cannon-fodder" ...

Just My 2 cents...

MayorJim
04-03-2011, 14:34
It's a great idea...but not on this forum...I agree with Karl and Alex...some of us just don't/can't play as often as others; some of us just enjoy the modelling side; and some of us enjoy the history and "goofiness" of some of the posts. Maybe include info in the AARs (as being done now), but have a separate item re: campaigns?

Oberst Hajj
04-03-2011, 19:07
The KotA worldwide campaign will have a leaderboard for sure. One thing to keep in mind guys, you would not have to use it if you do not care about this sort of thing. I'm just looking for ways/things to add for everyone out there... not everyone is into the hobby or history part of this game.

Stormkahn
04-03-2011, 23:07
I think there is some value in there, not so much from the player point of view but from aircraft balance. What's the real balance between SE5a vs DVII as played the world over? Spit vs 109?. Does the SE5 come out winner 60% of the time?

:)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-04-2011, 01:57
The main reason for me leaving my last Wargame club was that it got too combat orientated, and all the fun went out of the game. I would certainly restrict any combat tables to the KOTA. forum. I'm sure a lot of people have been looking forward to this kicking off for a long time now. That is a good way to keep things in perspective. Those who wish to participate can do so, and the gamer who only plays infrequently can also feel a part of the action if he wishes.
Rob.

wygz
04-04-2011, 10:08
It is something that would be interesting, but I do not think it is something that should go as stats on your "profile". Maybe a thread or forum for it would be fun; but I agree with the other posts, making it a stat for the site might make people think they are obligated, affecting the relaxing laid back aspect of the site.

Oberst Hajj
04-04-2011, 10:26
Well, if it is something that you guys are not interested in, I will not be wasting the time and money to set it up :)

sparty
04-04-2011, 11:30
I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm much more interested in the KotA product!!!

Oberst Hajj
04-04-2011, 11:53
KotA is the next project I will have the coder work on. I'm afraid it is a much larger project and I might have to start up a special donations request to help fund it... with a special Medal to go with it for those gong collectors out there. lol

Hunter
04-04-2011, 14:52
KotA is the next project I will have the coder work on. I'm afraid it is a much larger project and I might have to start up a special donations request to help fund it... with a special Medal to go with it for those gong collectors out there. lol

Count me in, Colonel!

Bluedevil
04-05-2011, 04:33
I will gladly sponsor too ( provided it's a very nice and shining medal that goes with it ... lol :D )

Flying Officer Kyte
04-05-2011, 10:59
Yes Col. You can count me in too.
Rob.

Canuck
04-07-2011, 06:28
I agree with the group that changing the dynamic of this site to a more competitive one (by adding a competitive element with respect to WoW) has a greater chance of diminishing, rather than enhancing, the user experience at the Aerodrome.

Justin3.14
04-07-2011, 20:58
Indeed, my fear is that the pub like atmosphere we have here would change with the inclusion of a competive edge. And there would be discrepancies between the hardcore players and the occasionals, where cliques may form amongst the (dare i write it) l33t people.

Oberst Hajj
04-07-2011, 21:47
The masses have spoken, no leaderboard for the forum in general. Stat tracking in KotA will remain however.