PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Aptitude Ace skill

Oberst Hajj
04-01-2011, 23:54
I had a thought for a new Ace skill tonight and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Mechanical Aptitude I

The Ace can clear green gun jams in two rounds instead of three.

Mechanical Aptitude II

The Ace can clear all gun jams in two rounds instead of three.

Stormkahn
04-02-2011, 00:15
It works from a rules/mechanics point of view, I'd still take Dedicated ground crew ahead of this without a 2nd thought. Not having the jam in the 1st place is much better and clearing the jam a round earlier will have minimal effect in my experience.

Nice line of thought.

Oberst Hajj
04-02-2011, 00:30
Yes, not as good as Dedicated Ground crew/Bullet Checker. I was thinking of this as a replacement for it or possibly as a set of side skills that would be based off of experience, and not the number of planes you shoot down.

Stormkahn
04-02-2011, 05:17
Yes, not as good as Dedicated Ground crew/Bullet Checker. I was thinking of this as a replacement for it or possibly as a set of side skills that would be based off of experience, and not the number of planes you shoot down.

Now that's an idea, unjam 10 guns to get it? 20 for the upgrade?

Flying Officer Kyte
04-02-2011, 07:24
Now that's an idea, unjam 10 guns to get it? 20 for the upgrade?

You must be nearly there already Dave!;)
Rob.

Stormkahn
04-02-2011, 09:19
You must be nearly there already Dave!;)
Rob.

A little harsh but very fair :D

Bruce
04-02-2011, 16:11
We have a house rule that Rookie aircrew (on their 1st sortie) take 4 manoeuvres to clear jammed MGs.
After this 1st sortie (if they survive) they become "novice" aircrew; they can clear a jam in the normal 3 manoeuvres.
We have removed "Dedicated ground crew/Bullet Checker" from the ACE Abilities and put it into the list of EXPERIENCE SKILLs (every 3 sorties earns the aircrew 1 EXPERIENCE SKILL).

Flying Officer Kyte
04-02-2011, 23:45
We have a house rule that Rookie aircrew (on their 1st sortie) take 4 manoeuvres to clear jammed MGs.
After this 1st sortie (if they survive) they become "novice" aircrew; they can clear a jam in the normal 3 manoeuvres.
We have removed "Dedicated ground crew/Bullet Checker" from the ACE Abilities and put it into the list of EXPERIENCE SKILLs (every 3 sorties earns the aircrew 1 EXPERIENCE SKILL).

That sounds like a very simple way to deal with the rule Bruce. I like the idea of experience skills. The title seems to fit just right.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
04-03-2011, 09:44

Mind sharing your current ace skill and experience skill lists?

Jythier
04-03-2011, 09:55
All the skills in my campaign are based on experience, but you get a lot of experience by shooting down aircraft...

Hunter
04-04-2011, 14:59
Mind sharing your current ace skill and experience skill lists?

You would incorporate these into the current rules or leave them as house rules? They sound good and I would like to try them, without reinventing the wheel.

Oberst Hajj
04-04-2011, 15:04
I'm in the begining stages of figuring out how I'd want to do experience skills. If I adopted them, they would go into KotA V3.

Bartman
04-04-2011, 15:44
I like the idea of skills based on experience. It seems to fit. The more experience you gain the more skills, which makes it more likely you would become an ace.

Stormkahn
04-05-2011, 23:00
I'm in the begining stages of figuring out how I'd want to do experience skills. If I adopted them, they would go into KotA V3.

Carry on doing what you do now, accumulate PPs but spend them on a skill tree rather than medals. Shift medals over to the no of kills, ace is just a status rather than confering new abilities.

The real trick is creating variety and balance in the skill tree and the recent poll underlines that some are clearer choices.

keep up the great work.

:)