PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried something like this?

gully_raker
03-31-2011, 21:22
G'day Chaps!
Whilst "enjoying" my week in Hospital I had lots of time to think about getting back to the Gaming Table & WOW.
Anyway I thought up what might be a rather fun scenario & wanted to get your opinions & thoughts, so here goes.

Scenario: "The Mists of Dawn"
Choose who will be the Attackers & who the Defenders.
Idealy from 2 to 4 players per side with the Attacker having 3 Scouts & 1 Recon/Bomber & the Defender 4 Scouts.

The Defender lays out 4 Objective Cards 1/2 ruler on his side of the Board & equidestant from each side of the board & each other.
The Attacker chooses one as his Target & writes it down secretly for later reference.

You then place a Board or Sheet along the Halfway point so neither side can see the other side of the Table.

Now the Attacker has one "Free" movement Turn for all their Aircraft from any part of their Baseline.
The Game then commences the usual simultaneous Turns.
The Defender deploys 2 flights of 2 Aircraft for their early morning Patrols from any point along their baseline.

After 2 Full Turns the Sun dispenses the Mist & the Board/Sheet is removed & the Game Continues.

Victory Conditions: 2 Points for completing the Mission on the Designated Target plus 2 Points if that Aircraft returns safely to Base.
1 Point for every Aircraft Destroyed & 2 Points for the Defender if the Mission is Not Completed.

Swap sides to complete the Outcome or have a Replay next Games Night with Attacker & Defender swapping Roles.

Well there you are! So please let me know your thoughts particularly if you have tried a similar idea.

Charlie3
03-31-2011, 22:02
Well thought out. I like the view block idea.
Here in Traverse City we allow the defenders to select a number of targets. They are all placed face down on the table in a pile and the attackers select one and look at it (it is not shown to the defenders). Then all the targets are shuffled and returned to the defenders.

The defenders distribute the targets as they like on the table face down so that the attackers do not know which target is which when they enter the combat area. As the attackers fly near the targets they are flipped over so that the attackers must hunt for their mission objective. It gives us a simular effect to your barrier idea, however the attackers can "see" where they need to go and where the defenders are at the beginning of the game. You keep everyone in the FOG as it were until the last moment. Great idea.

Oberst Hajj
04-01-2011, 01:07
Sounds like fun to me!

Flying Officer Kyte
04-01-2011, 01:20
We regularly fly a mission similar to Charlie, but among the random targets are always a bonus to attack such as a convoy or tank card plus an AA gun or two, which are activated when the attacking aircraft come within range. The defender only knows where he has placed his AA but not what the target card is. The idea of the bonus target is to make the attacker decide if it is worth going on with a mission after he has found his main objective. This helps to extend the game if he finds the objective too soon. It is up to him if he cuts and runs. If his aircraft have a lot of points left, he may also opt to straffe the AA guns for even more points. This creates an even more open ended mission.
The idea of a screen puts the gilt on the gingerbread as far as I am concerned. Great idea Barry.
Rob

gully_raker
04-01-2011, 20:18
Glad you liked it Chaps. I thought it added good reality to a mission as in real life the Defender would not know what the attackers objective was & when the Fog/Mist lifted there were the Enemy right in their faces.

Hunter
05-14-2011, 08:18
Sounds like a keeper!

Naharaht
07-23-2011, 17:48
These are good ideas.

Jythier
09-01-2011, 20:19
I once did a mission set where the attacker reconned 6 targets. 3 of them had different point values, and three were worthless. The recon mission was a huge success, as it eliminated all three worthless targets for the next mission, which was the bombing run. The real catch was that if a worthless target remained, the attackers would have it as a bombing/strafing target, but it would never die. The recon mission points were based only on whether the locations were scouted, not whether they were good, but the bombing mission was, of course, based on actually hitting the right target. I love hearing the ways people change up the targets... in mine, the defenders always knew which was which, while the attackers didn't (they didn't recon any of the actual targets or they would know).

Flying Officer Kyte
09-01-2011, 23:53
Yes Jay,I like your thinking on this. it makes sense for the defenders to know what is a real target. They can then arrange the defending ground forces accordingly. A good recon should show up most of these things, and help the attack, but defenders should have the option to move non static defences between missions to confuse the attackers. AA guns for instance may re deploy if they think that they have been spotted. It all adds to the tension of the next mission.
Rob.

Naharaht
09-02-2011, 09:44
This is another good idea.

Hunter
09-03-2011, 03:32
I once did a mission set where the attacker reconned 6 targets. 3 of them had different point values, and three were worthless. The recon mission was a huge success, as it eliminated all three worthless targets for the next mission, which was the bombing run. The real catch was that if a worthless target remained, the attackers would have it as a bombing/strafing target, but it would never die. The recon mission points were based only on whether the locations were scouted, not whether they were good, but the bombing mission was, of course, based on actually hitting the right target. I love hearing the ways people change up the targets... in mine, the defenders always knew which was which, while the attackers didn't (they didn't recon any of the actual targets or they would know).

This is something to use in a league game or tweak a campaign mission. I think this will be a fun sortie!