PDA

View Full Version : Altitude/Energy Variant: demo video

sightreader
03-24-2011, 14:14
Each maneuver either uses up energy (red dots) or regains lost energy (green dots). Here we use little cherry-like pieces as currency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERFoM8pl0Qo

We use a one-ahead move system with pure skill "checklist" shooting system:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic217943_lg.jpg
We also use the energy/altitude system described here:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic217944_lg.jpg
The video differs from the above in that I taped the two extra steep moves directly to spare maneuver cards:

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic952499_md.jpg
The energy flight models used are described here:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic217948_lg.jpg

sparty
03-24-2011, 16:58
Interesting concepts for sure and it definitely looks like you're group was having a lot of fun with it which is the name of the game!

Personally, I find it less of a tweak to the rules and more of a complete rules overhaul for many of the core systems (movement, targeting, and damage). It certainly shows that you can create some interesting conversions of the game. Clearly there was considerable thought and effort into getting this as apparently balanced as it appears to be as well. Kudos on that as well.

It occurs to me that there seems to be a misconception still about the card/base vs. the picture/model. It's a part of the damage rules here and I believe this has been discussed before, but it's dangerous to assume that in a game as abstract as this that the planes are at a specific point in space at any given time. The time frames + relative speeds are necessarily 1:1 as was demonstrated in the thread about measuring center-dot movement. The cards, when viewed this way, become a reasonable space within which the plane may occupy any space.

sightreader
03-24-2011, 19:53
Interesting concepts for sure and it definitely looks like you're group was having a lot of fun with it which is the name of the game!
Hey, thanks so much for the supportive comments!

Personally, I find it less of a tweak to the rules and more of a complete rules overhaul for many of the core systems (movement, targeting, and damage).
Yes indeed, once I finish this thing it will certainly be a totally different game.

Clearly there was considerable thought and effort into getting this as apparently balanced as it appears to be as well.
Well, what I like about it is that you can use energy tactics: split-Ss, yo-yos, even rolling scissors. Big ships with a lot of energy, like the Spad, come in with a lot of Wham-Bam but have to know when to run for their life before they run out of energy. The DrI climbs like a bat but is pretty much stuck pivoting around in the center of the map while everyone converges on it. The Alb is a great pressure fighter, as you can do a chandelle that powers you up without taking you out of range, but have to make sure you keep out of people's sights.

What I don't like is that it plays too slow - too many fussy, slippery, skidding cards - and even after reducing to one move ahead rather than three still isn't like flying at all. I'm fixing both of these things, but it requires completely new maneuver cards.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic230562_md.jpg

It occurs to me that there seems to be a misconception still about the card/base vs. the picture/model. It's a part of the damage rules here and I believe this has been discussed before, but it's dangerous to assume that in a game as abstract as this that the planes are at a specific point in space at any given time.
Well, using the A/C image is just a crutch I use when the card takes up too much space. I'm investigating ideas for new damage systems that take motion into account.

Oberst Hajj
03-25-2011, 01:40
Hello Wade, and welcome from Colorado Springs. I would defiantly call this a complete rewrite of the rules. If you get around to remaking the maneuver cards, there will be pretty much nothing left of actual Wings of War... showing some serious thinking on your part!

As a modification to Wings of War, I don't think I would like it very much as it seems to break the do away with the hidden complexity of the core game as well as the easy of play (although the latter might go away once one is used to the new system). As a completely new game, I think it look rather good!

I like how you have added energy into the game and your system of "cherries" seems an elegant way to handle tracking it. I'm not sure I understand the steep climbs/turns (as far as why they were added or what they bring to the game)? Same for removing cards from the maneuver decks.

Your damage system is interesting as well. You have covered several of the "holes" in Wings of War" like deflection and target size due to angle of attack. The draw back is you have tripled the number of things you have to check when shooting... no doubt part of what is causing the slow down. You have done similar to the maneuver phase as well. For balancing the game play with the simulation level you want, you might think about reducing some of those checks in each phase.

It is always great to see what others are doing out there!

With all the smaller pockets of Colorado groups joining the site, I might have to look into putting on a Colorado Classic tournament!

Bartman
03-25-2011, 03:24
You definitely have put a lot of time and thought into your variant, but I agree with others that this is WoW only in that it was inspired by it. It really is a different game all together when taken in its entirety. I find this much more complicated even though you say it plays simpler. I haven't desired to play this so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

What can I say, I like the game Andrea came up with. A few house rules are fine but this just seems to change the feel of WoW.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-25-2011, 04:38
Obviously a very interesting take on WoW. All players are obviously having a great game. However, it reminded me of the reasons why I play WoW. and like to get a rest from all my other wargaming options. Speed and simplicity. These aspects it don't have in spades. So not for me I am afraid. Best of luck with your development of the game, and thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Rob.

sightreader
03-25-2011, 06:26
I find this much more complicated even though you say it plays simpler.
Well, the non-energy variant (first page) is simpler, mainly because you don't shoot that often. Furthermore, you don't have to modify your cards to play it.

There is no doubt that the energy system (the "cherries") makes it slower and more complex than the original.

Speed and simplicity. These aspects it don't have in spades.
Agreed. That's why I decided that I have no choice but to ditch all the original stuff and go with completely new cards that have these mechanics already incorporated into them.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic406776_t.jpg

Now if only I could get my Adobe Illustrator skills up to the level needed to do this...

sightreader
03-25-2011, 06:31
I'm not sure I understand the steep climbs/turns (as far as why they were added or what they bring to the game)?
When pointing up or down, rolling amounts to a heading change. From above, the plane looks like it's pivoting in place, something not represented by existing cards. This is the key to beating angles fighters in a rolling scissors.

Same for removing cards from the maneuver decks.
Just to reduce hand sizes.

MayorJim
03-27-2011, 10:29
Nicely done and well thought out...but as others have mentioned...it's a new game. Looks fun, but a bit more complex for my taste...carry on!!

sightreader
03-27-2011, 10:40
Nicely done and well thought out...but as others have mentioned...it's a new game. Looks fun, but a bit more complex for my taste...carry on!!
Thanks so much for the support!

I'm working on a new version which will be much simpler - at least when it comes to maneuver and energy. Gunnery, on the other hand, is still a work in progress...

jbmacek
03-27-2011, 11:09
I love it. Well, at least the presentation if the not actual mechanics! Great job!

sightreader
03-27-2011, 14:12
I love it. Well, at least the presentation if the not actual mechanics! Great job!
Hee... thanks; the support really means a lot! I did all those with Picture It. Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft wanted to support Picture It anymore, so they yanked it from everywhere, which brought the game down with it. I'm finally getting Adobe Illustrator figured out, but it took a long time - years - for me to find time to develop the necessary skills.